[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Let's be completely honest here guys. This has the worst

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 9

File: Demon's_Souls_Cover.jpg (104KB, 256x295px) Image search: [Google]
Demon's_Souls_Cover.jpg
104KB, 256x295px
Let's be completely honest here guys.

This has the worst bosses in the series.
>>
Literally no one ever said otherwise
>>
No because it has actual variety in bosses.

>it's a roll-spam the boss's 10-hit wombo combo and poke during the opening bossfight

Fuck DaS3.
>>
>>385534423
People like to claim DaS had the worst bosses and the only argument for it is "dude bed of chaos lmao xddd"

Even though as experimental souls games boss fights go BoC is miles above shit like the Dragon God or Ancient Wyvren
>>
>>385534606
>BoC is miles above shit like the Dragon God or Ancient Wyvren

It's literally Dragon God with an instant death pit.
>>
>>385534485
This.

Demon souls had amazing bosses for the time. Ones that actually required you to use items you found in the level to beat. Ones that requires some degree of critical thinking outside if just spamming roll. Maiden aestra was the definition of a one shot to kill boss done right
>>
>>385534485
this is the boss fights in every souls game that isn't some kind of weird gimmick, which are also the fights in each game everyone hates

the bosses in souls are fundamentally not fun because the shitty combat engine isn't designed for that kind of thing, it works way better vs the random enemies and surviving a meat grinder of traps and dickery, especially because summoning breaks basically every single boss AI in the entire series an issue that was never fixed in 5 games

demon souls doing mostly nonstandard stuff is at least interesting compared to the regular combat
>>
>>385534268
It does. I actually started it up this morning because the PS3 emulator is fucking trash. After Boletaria everything feels boring and a slog. Out of every Souls game DaS2 and DeS has such poor replayability value for me
>>
>>385534268
it really depends on what you want to get out of a boss honestly

>>385535073
the fuck it is

BoC requires the player to navigate a stage containing a central obstacle with an AI that can draw from a pool of attack patterns in response to the players movements and that evolves twice as the player gets closer to completing the central objective. The stage itself is 2 dimensional (a semicircle) and the central challenge is that mid way through the fight it begins crumbling around the player, necessitating navigation and strategic thinking under pressure. The Nature of the objectives are such that the boss can be completed as intended by navigating through the entire stage or in more interesting and faster ways using a bow or firebombs rewarding player intelligence and thinking outside the box. In order to complete this boss the player must visit both corners of the room and then make their way back to the centre.

Dragon God requires the player to navigate a stage containing a central obstacle that does one thing repeatedly in response to stimuli. The stage is one dimensional (a straight line) and the central challenge is destroying rubble that blocks your progress requiring only basic timing on the part of the player. The nature of the objective are such that the boss can only be completed the intended way. In order to complete this boss the player must progress along a narrow path.
>>
I liked false alant. But yes, it does.
>>
>>385534268
yeah but is not like they were shit
they were fine but the other souls did it better
>>
File: 1485193034193.jpg (101KB, 669x574px) Image search: [Google]
1485193034193.jpg
101KB, 669x574px
Demon's Souls actually felt like Zelda-like bosses rather than damage sponges where most of them had some gimmick to them to figure out.

Sure that makes it not as fun on consecutive replays, but it's more memorable than every boss dishing out delayed 12-hit combos.
>>
>>385535354
>>385535497
I agree with these sentiments wholeheartedly. It would have seemed wrong and unrealistic if you fought dragon god using regular combat, or if maiden astraea didn't die easily.

People need to not think of demons souls bosses as an extension of the combat of the levels, but as a unique departure from the usual gameplay, to an extent. Demons souls bosses, and gimmick bosses in general, are crafted challenges, not just a harder enemy to fight.
>>
>>385535497
This this this.

Souls faggot fans who started in DaS complained about ever boss fight that wasn't a one on one with some massive monster that you defeat by strafing around it in a circle.

That's why every fight is DaS3 was the same.
>>
>>385537049
this shit started in DaSII and was epitomised in BB don't blame DaSI
>>
>>385534268
>Worst bosses in the game with Old Monk.
nope.
>>
this series is cancer just based on how terrible the pc ports are.
Not only do they make modding difficult, but don't allow the mods to alter graphics in a serious manner in which to increase performance such as lowering draw distance.
>get dark souls 3
>no draw distance sliders or anything
>also make it impossible for mods to alter this

>also pc version costs twice as much as console version for some reason, fromsoftware can suck my balls
>>
>>385537114
Did you read my post?

It started because DaS kiddies complained about any boss fight that tried something new so they left them out of the other games
>>
>>385537187
Why is souls modding so bad?

Do you think we will ever get an additional content mod for DaS1 like another community made scenario to play through? Is this even possible I want to play new DaS1 not the other games broken mechanics
>>
File: 1350733160776.jpg (8KB, 246x278px) Image search: [Google]
1350733160776.jpg
8KB, 246x278px
>>385536492
>shooting an enemy with arrows
>"thinking outside the box"

Yeah mate, some real experimental outsider shit right here. Watch out for the avant-garde usage of crumbling floors too.
>>
>>385537194
Did you read mine?

Everything you said is wrong.
>>
>>385536946
I liked how most of the bosses had some weak point or gimmick you could exploit if you wanted an easy fight. Or you could choose hard mode and fight it on your own terms.
Its a shame Souls went from an adventure game to a trial and error simulator.
>>
File: 1488475564810.jpg (106KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
1488475564810.jpg
106KB, 640x360px
>>385537321
I've wanted to make a DaS1 mod scenario for a while where you start from Nito's boss room and have to climb your way up the entire game
>>
>>385537447
How so?
>Ds1 tries new things has experiemtnal boss fight
>Fan base complains the fuck about them
>Next games don't have them
???? What am I missing
>>
>>385537321
I wish. I'll have to stick to ds1
>>
>>385536492
the problem with BoC is that it also has the absolute worst bonfire run to a boss in the game, maybe even any souls game, as all of the bonfires near it are extremely tedious paths to run through and lengthy too, getting knocked into an instant death pit only to do all that shit again is super frustrating
>>
>>385534606
Dragon god is so superior it's not even funny.
>>
>>385537609
>Implying I didn't have that run dialed to the absolute nanosecond so I could get it down to less than 2 min
>>
>>385537114
DS1 has this too, how many bosses in that game are some big monster that has a hard time actually hitting you if you stand under/near its dick and start swinging? not to mention that O&S and artoias/manus are basically THE guideline by which all souls bosses afterwards were designed and they consist of rolling on the ground for several minutes before finally getting an opening to swing without eating shit from a lengthy combo
>>
>>385537578
They kinda messed up with some of the boss fights in d1. For example Four Kings.
Very epic fight, pitch black, cool obscure boss, awesome music- one major flaw. Too easy. Biggest boss let down I've ever seen.
Beat it on my first try and I was just crushed. What a waste. Most LP's I watch of the game they beat it on 1st or 2nd try as well.

Wish all bosses were hard. I remember spending 4 hours on the Asylum Demon beating it naked because I thought that's what I was supposed to do and it was fun.
>>
>>385534606
Dragon god is awesome though, it just sucks that you don't actually fight it

The maneuvering and hiding itself is pretty fun the first time you do it, at least its not angering like BoC, you're objectively wrong.
>>
>>385536858
Dragon God, Old Monk (offline), Adjudicator, Leechmonger, Dirty Colossus, and Garl Vinland/Maiden Astrea are complete shit boss fights.

Phalanx, Flamelurker, Fool's Idol, Maneaters, Old Monk (online), and Storm King are all pretty questionable.

I'd put Tower Knight in questionable, but they made him unique enough to qualify as 'good' considering he's a very early boss.

The only truly GOOD bosses in the entire game are Penetrator (if you aren't high enough level to just stomp him), False King, Armor Spider, and Old Hero. And Armor Spider can be spammy bullshit if his AI decides to get fucky.
>>
>>385537830
4 kings is a little easier because it could be the second boss in the game you fight if you want to get darkwrath ASAP or just happen to like doing things in a weird order

it can go really bad really fast if you dont down kings fast enough
>>
>>385537787
Asylum demon and Iron Golem.

So two.
>>
Is it even possible to get a player in the Old Monk fight these days instead of the NPC?
>>385537910
I'd also put the True King under shit boss.
>>
>>385537835
Nothing about Dragon God was fun. It's literally a poorly implemented stealth sequence with bad enemy AI and bad hit detection that's potentially an instant death on a single mistake. If it worked properly it'd be boring. But when he goes literal minutes sometimes without doing what he's suppose to do, or randomly aggro'ing when he isn't meant to and one shots you, it graduates to shit.

Bed of Chaos, though, IS worse. It essentially has all the same problems and by THIS point they should have learned their lesson. At least Dragon God has the excuse of being their first attempt at shit like this.

Also, where Dragon God MIGHT one shot you, Bed of Chaos is guaranteed to. Granted, the "Quit Game" tactic really lowers the frustration, and with practice and a little luck you can run through the whole thing in like two minutes easily. But the same could be argued for Dragon God.
>>
>>385538346
>Bed of Chaos
>stealth sequence
>>
>>385538236
you can totally beat those guys by hugging their nuts and occasionally rolling to the other side to defeat their one AOE move, especially if you're more behind them

the only one that really came to mind was gaping dragon and the gargoyles outside of the big bosses like the lord souls or O&S
>>
>>385537986
The balance is off because it seems like its designed for the scenario that the player did not find the Havels armor hidden behind the fire place. With Havels armor on you can just tank 4 kings hits and drink flasks and beat the boss without having to dodge anything. Probably the same with Stone armor which everyone finds as well.

I remember falling into the hole seeing a 4 king rush me out of the darkness and thinking " holy fuck im gonna get raped " and then he hit me for 7% of my hp.
>>
File: STOP.png (24KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
STOP.png
24KB, 300x300px
>>385537910
Wrong faggot.

High Tier:
False King, Penetrator, Armor Spider, Old Hero, Flamelurker, Old Monk

Good Tier:
Phalanx, Maneaters, Tower Knight, Fool's Idol

Ok Tier:
Leechmonger, Dirty Colossus, Garl/Astrea

Bad Tier:
Dragon God, Adjudicator, Storm King

The only game with bosses even remotely as good or unique is Dark Souls and Bloodborne, but literally only because of Micolash
>>
>>385538329
I honestly forgot he was a boss. No question, though, he's at LEAST Leechmonger bad.

Speaking of bosses I forgot, I'd place Vanguard under questionable. It's super basic and basically a steroided normal enemy, but being that first "you're meant to die" encounter combined with the intimidation factor prevents it from being shit.
>>
>>385538650
>High Tier:
>Old Monk
>Good Tier:
>Phalanx, Fool's Idol
>Bad Tier:
>Adjudicator, Storm King

all these are in the wrong place
>>
File: 1486138753272.jpg (15KB, 285x249px) Image search: [Google]
1486138753272.jpg
15KB, 285x249px
>>385538346
>But when he goes literal minutes sometimes without doing what he's suppose to do, or randomly aggro'ing when he isn't meant to and one shots you, it graduates to shit.

that never happens, you just suck and based your entire opinion off of one single experience lol

you're not supposed to just sit there and wait him out faggot you have to go destroy the pillars
>>
>>385538651
>I honestly forgot he was a boss.
I'll be fair, I forgot he was a boss too. What makes him worse is that he's the FINAL BOSS and not the False King.
>>
>>385538750
I assume with old monk, he means the player (not the NPC) version is high tier.
>>
>>385538750
>Old Monk is still the most unique boss in the series

>Phalanx is the perfect 1st boss from a gameplay perspective

>Fool's Idol is unique and actually makes you play differently

>Adjudicator is literally just strafing in a direction

>Storm King is unplayable for melee builds unless they blindly rush into the open while being pelted by arrows, and cheese-bait for magic builds

You're wrong
>>
>>385537910
Aestra was fun depending on what build you were. Garl absolutely recks your shit if you don't have any magic spells.
>>
>>385538995
>Storm king is unplayable for melee builds
Excuse me? Surely you don't think Yorm was the first fight to use the Storm Ruler.
>>
>>385534268

> Dark souls has just a big fucker with a wide sweep attack in a narrow pace and two dogs that stunlock you so you can get your shit pushed in the first time you ever even enter the boss area

Fuck off, OP. Demon souls bosses are well fucking designed and cool as shit, and i've never EVER felt cheated by one. Dark souls, I love, but it has a lot of fucking bullshit in it.
>>
Yet I haven't seen a boss top the awe of encountering Storm King for the first time.
>>
>>385538650
Flamelurker's shit. It constantly gets stuck on terrain, spams the same move five times in a row, and has absurd amounts of health for no reason. Or do you like damage sponges that take zero skill to fight?

Old Monk is questionable at best, and shit at worst. It's literally an invader. That's it. There's a whole mechanic built around that, and it can occur at almost any time. And offline? It's just a really shitty hostile NPC.

Phalanx is boring. It teaches newcomers about damage weaknesses, being patient, and environmental awareness sure... but it's insanely boring and either takes way too long or dies in seconds depending on if you use fire.

Maneaters are two steroided ordinary enemies that put up no challenge whatsoever outside of potentially ganking you and the fact you fight them on an extremely narrow bridge you can fall off of. There's nothing fun or interesting about them. And most of the time you'll have the first one dead before the second shows up, meaning the shitty gimmick won't even occur.

Leechmonger is a blob... that sits there... and does nothing. It can sort of attack you... kind of? I've seen it cover me in leeches once, but it didn't seem to do much. And it died in an obscenely short amount of time.

Dirty Colossus is just shit. It's an oafish, slow as shit glorified common enemy that does no damage and functions like a damage sponge... but it doesn't even take long to kill.

Garl/Astrea. Ok tier? Seriously? It's a hostile NPC that uses ONE extremely slow attack... while walking into a passage too narrow for him to fit through. He literally cheeses himself. And Astrea does nothing the whole time then suicides. Atmosphere/lore? Sure, it's solid enough. As a boss fight? It's the lowest they've possibly ever sunk.

Storm King got points purely for uniqueness and epic scale. Plus it's kind of fun in a gimmicky sort of way slicing down those manta rays as revenge after they pissed you off the entire Shrine of Storms.
>>
>>385535497
>Flame Lurker
>The Penetrator
>O&S
>Gwyn
>Abyss Watchers
>Pontiff Sulyvahn
>Nameless King
>Sister Friede
>Slave Knight Gael

>>>the fights everyone hates

Apply yourself, anon
>>
It was diverse, sure, but I believe it suffered from being the first. I wish it had more bonus bosses, or bosses that tested your skill, like the False King.
Most bosses were gimmicks or lore-based, which I respect, but a good challenging one would be great.
>>
>>385539079
He walks into a narrow passage too small for him to fit through and just stands there, occasionally smashing his hammer. How can he even hit you?

>>385538969
But what's good about that? It's JUST a player invasion. By the time you fight Old Monk you'd probably fought nearly the same fight dozens of times already.
>>
>>385539678
DeS was a proof of concept for the Dark Souls we never actually got to see because Bamco rushed it out the door.

If there's one sin that will make them burn in hell it's that one.
>>
>>385539532
none of these bosses are gimmicks that the fanbase at large hates, most of them are the TOTALLY EPIC AND SICKDARK roll on the ground simulators I was decrying
>>
>DeS has the worst bosses
>Not DaS2
its summer but come the fuck on
>>
>>385538329
I played demon's souls around 2-3 weeks ago and got invaded on Old Monk. Saw several signs in each level too.
>>
>>385534485

This guy gets it.
>>
>>385540271
>dark souls balance is off at least in new game since the moment you find either havel armor or smough armor the rest of the bosses and game is too easy

I used to hate hearing faggots say " le i beat this boss in one try " but now I understand. I beat the final boss in my second try and most others after getting smough armor in 1 or 2 tries.

On top of that the armor isn't even hard to get you just buy it from a vendor after you beat smough.

1st half of Dark souls is extremely fun but then the balance starts to fall to shit after anor lando. Orstein and Smough might as well be the final boss of the game since its the last boss you really need to struggle with.
>>
>>385540271
we're trying to keep this an early souls thread on the down low
>>
>>385535497
the boss fights in das still felt different from each other
i.e. taurus demon fight on a narrow wall, capra demon fight in a small space with dogs, O&S fight as tackling two totally different enemies at once, etc

meanwhile in das3 every boss fight is a spacey arena where you dodge samey flailing attacks and nonstop combos for 20 times

it gets old too fast.
>>
How would the series have turned out if rolling had no invincibility and was purely a movement thing.
>>
>>385540796
quite poorly I imagine
>>
>>385537321
the modding for das1 has recently exploded
we got gungame, boss rush and item randomizer mods in a span of two weeks, as well as a raw mouse controls with separate kick, jump attack and roll buttons
>>
File: gurl.jpg (66KB, 485x700px) Image search: [Google]
gurl.jpg
66KB, 485x700px
>be 11
>shitposting on /v/ as usual
>see lots of this "demon's souls" game threads hyping the shit out of it
>some anons even imported the asian version before the US release
>"hardest game ever"
>everyone making inside jokes that only players would get, "git gud" still didn't exist (that was a dark souls 1 thing)
>decide to stop playing modern warfare and give this game a chance
>get a used copy and played it through
>found it mediocre at best, went back to FPSs

>2017
>be 18
>huge Souls turbonerd
>shilled the fuck out of Bloodborne because I bought a PS4 at release
>Got Dark Souls II and III as well
>I need to pretend I loved Demon's Souls because if I said what I really thought of it back then I'd be ridiculed
>Can't play it because I sold my ps3 and all its games when I got a ps4

fug.
>>
>>385540796
sounds like 6 adp run in dasII
>>
>>385534268
Unlike DaS 2 and 3 bosses which are just DPS races?
>>
File: 1475192402464.jpg (56KB, 583x435px) Image search: [Google]
1475192402464.jpg
56KB, 583x435px
>>385541257
>2017
>be 18
>>
I'll take gimmick bosses over infinite i-frame rolling through attacks in a DPS race.
>>
File: 1494796850564.jpg (72KB, 590x634px) Image search: [Google]
1494796850564.jpg
72KB, 590x634px
>>385541151
>das1
>gungame

wat
>>
>>385538995
>Old Monk is still the most unique boss in the series
Even though he's been replicated in 2/3 of the subsequent games?
>Storm King is unplayable for melee builds
In what way? Grab Storm Ruler and strike him down while dodging attacks, exactly how the fight is supposed to play out. Magic builds CAN kill him without using Storm Ruler, but grabbing the sword is still faster.
>>
>>385539995
You said they are the fights in each game which everyone hates.
>>
>>385537049
It's not that non-strictly combat fights are BAD, it's that From sucks at doing them.
>>
>>385542212
its a gamemode in counter strike where you earn weapons by getting kills

the das variant: you start naked with a broken sword and get new weapons and armor by getting successful hits, but if you get hit you fall back to broken sword and are stripped of armor ( or get the one you had before, depending on the mod settings ) and have to start over
healing with estus is also an ability you have to "unlock"
>>
>>385543420
I think tagging a bonfire saves your level or something as well
>>
>>385544052
yea, or sets it to half of the maximum level you managed to achieve
>>
>>385534423
Bullshit. Lots of people on /v/ pretend that this game had the best and hardest bosses.
>>
Storm King and Flamelurker are the best bosses in the series though.
>>
It has the best stage design
Thread posts: 80
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.