[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I've heard from a few pro players on twitter that the vast

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 13

File: over.jpg (99KB, 600x315px) Image search: [Google]
over.jpg
99KB, 600x315px
I've heard from a few pro players on twitter that the vast majority of pros don't even enjoy playing this game because it's "stale".

Is this true? And what went wrong?
>>
I still get into a game in 20 seconds. I don't think it's dying. I wish they would put out content faster though.
>>
Fuck off Randy.
>>
Since when do "a few" get to speak for "the vast majority"?
>>
>the same shit team compositions for months
>the same shit maps for a year. only two QP/comp new maps this entire fucking time
>support/tank characters are a minority compared to dps, leaving tank/support players with a tiny pool of potential picks
Thats just me though.
>>
>>385521035
The staleness probably comes from the game having a singular best team composition at any point in it's lifetime which is only countered by a very similar team composition. In a game that bangs on and on about it's pool of characters to choose from and how they stack up this isn't a good thing. They also balance (really badly) for the casual audience, who don't know what they want, while pushing this whole super competitive pro e-sports thing. But what do I know, I'm just a Bastion shitter.
>>
>>385521308
Well obviously you have to take it for what it is - an anecdote. But if more than a few have stated this then I'm skeptical their perception is flawed or that they're lying.
>>
File: overbutts.jpg (3MB, 5760x1080px) Image search: [Google]
overbutts.jpg
3MB, 5760x1080px
>Play a lot of Rein in comp
>Rein falls out of the meta
>My one true love D.va comes back into the meta
>Winston is extremely viable again
>Support is all still viable
>Started dicking around with Reaper and Mccree in quick play and having fun

I think people are just bitching cause they're still bad at Hanzo, game is still fun for me a year later.
>>
>>385521570
Except that "singular best team comp" only really exists at the highest levels, and a majority of players are not at the highest levels. It's something like 20% of the playerbase that's actually above 3k.

Below that it doesn't matter if you see your favorite pro players picking Genji and Tracer and Winston and whining about dive comp, because about 99% of the people who insta lock Genji in Plat and Gold are utter garbage who get one nice ult every 20 games.

Know what can really help when that D.va gets in your face and you can't manage to throw your shuriken fast enough? Pick Mei. She's not meta, but if you have half a brain you'll become D.va's worst nightmare as long as you don't just continually toss your ult into her defense matrix.

People are stupid and rely too heavily on the opinions of pro players in this game and think that just because a handful of streamers who literally play the game 10 hours a day everyday are getting burned out that means the game is dead.
>>
>2 pro players (0.1% of playerbase) says it's stale
>OW IS DYING
>>
>>385521035
I swear Blizzard can't design a map any fucking better than medicore
>>
>>385521035
>not enough hero
>no in-game choices (items to buy or a talent build, for example)
>balance changes take months

this is how you make a stale game
>>
>>385521394
Maps don't matter.

COD4 didn't get DLC until a year and half in.

The problem is the meta.

All characters should be viable.
>>
>>385523450
Which characters do you feel aren't viable?
>>
>>385523915
When I say viable, I mean like COD with it's weapons.

Every weapon can be used to dominate no matter the weapon.

Scorpion?
Shotguns?
Dragonov?

All viable if you understand what they do.

OW doesn't do this.

OW has it so that certain characters are supposed to defeat others 99% of the time. Matchups and all that
So with COD, a guy with a shotgun could sneaky snake up behind a sniper and get him, or a sniper could take him out before he got their.

OW?

Mcree, Mei, Soldier, Widow, Hanzo are really your only choices for taking down pharah for example.

Even then you have greater issues. Like okay, if 76 can run and that's his special ability? Great! But EVERYONE should be able to run, 76 can just run infinitely.

Everyone should be able to grab ledges like Hanzo/Genji. But they can climb up to it.
>>
Cooldowns are shittiest fucking things.
For example, in TF2 you have resource. system (ammo, health, metal) that you can choose to use at resupply at your will for movement (rocket jumping) or for offense.
Overwatch just artificially limits what you can do with a timer, it's shit.
>>
>>385521035
It does get stale, pretty sure it's mostly just the map design as well. A lot of them felt like hallways. Numbani, for example.
How can one company be so bad at map design?
>>
>>385524203
It's a team based shooter that encourages character swapping though?

If you're playing Pharah and find that the enemy team has a widow and a soldier and you're constantly getting sniped out of the air, swap characters. People "maining" heroes is the problem with Overwatch, not the fact that every character isn't a carbon copy of each other with a different color gun. Overwatch ISN'T COD or Halo.

And even beyond that, your point of saying that only 5 characters can take down a Pharah is not only false, but not even an issue. I've been killed by Tracer's while playing Pharah, and I've killed Pharah's while playing D.va before. If you want to be extremely effective because you know the enemy Pharah is ruining your day then yes you swap to Mccree, Soldier, or Widow and shoot her out of the sky until you either win or she swaps. But I don't even get why some characters not being viable against others is an issue. You're not locked into playing a single hero the whole match, if you're playing Junkrat and the enemy team has a Pharah and no otherwise large, easy to hit targets, then your character is not effective for this match up, but even then if you can get someone else on your team to play Soldier and you can justify your character pick with good traps and spamming chokes, then you don't necessarily need to swap.

If instead you're literally doing nothing, feeding enemy ults, not ranking for damage, losing the objective, but you really like Junkrat because you identify with his inner retarded Australian then just stick to quick play and turn off match chat. Would you play Chess and only ever move your rooks and then blame the game when you can't effectively beat an opponent?
>>
>>385521035

Another idiot that follows whatever the "pros" do.

Fucking hate esports so much.
>>
fuck overwatch.
>>
>>385521035
Low skill ceiling
>>
>>385523080
>the game has 2000 players
>>
>>385521035
Haha, you know that our lord as saviour, Jeff Kaplan, will put these whiny manchildren back to their place by announcing his hours in the game
>>
File: 1482862447903.jpg (47KB, 240x240px) Image search: [Google]
1482862447903.jpg
47KB, 240x240px
>>385521035
>pros
>>
>>385521035
A BLIZZARD GAME? SHIT AND UNBALANCED AT A COMPETITIVE LEVEL???

WHO COULD HAVE SEEN THIS ONE COMING?
>>
>>385525594
this
>>
>>385523450

CoD 4 was also DM based in many ways and map exploration was actually possible. You could play one map multiple times in a day and find new places to fight.

OW maps go through the same motions every time.
>>
nah there's just a few problems with it
>always get put in a team with useless cunts
>random character gets nerfed into uselessness every couple months
>some faggot always intentionally throws competitive matches
sort it out mates
>>
>>385521035
why does anyone give a shit about pros

Its literally fat kids wasting more time in front of a tv than usual, the best they are pro at is smelling like shit
>>
>>385521035
game is 2casual even for middle experienced gamers
>>
id b pretty pissed off too if blizzard was in charge of my life
>>
File: 1be655fdd3955e9ddd402ad6f7589da1.jpg (462KB, 1768x2596px) Image search: [Google]
1be655fdd3955e9ddd402ad6f7589da1.jpg
462KB, 1768x2596px
>>385521035
Right now dive comps are the shit. I enjoy that because all my favorite heroes are involved in your average dive comp (Genji, Tracer, Winston, D.Va). But it's probably really boring if you don't enjoy that kind of team. You don't have to run dive but the other team probably will which means you'll either be forced into the same thing or fighting an uphill battle. But what do I know I'm only a master. GM doesn't look all that different though.
>>
>>385525134
>>385525134
>team based shooter

Saying this is a meme. No multiplayer shooter isn't a team shooter. COD, Halo, BF, etc.

>, swap characters.

That's like saying, if you can't kill the sniper with your shotgun, switch to being cancer as well.

>People "maining" heroes is the problem with Overwatch,

No, OW banning people for swearing, creating a L4D2 style report system, etc is the problem.
>>
File: 1mnIBzmXX1z.jpg (278KB, 2000x1400px) Image search: [Google]
1mnIBzmXX1z.jpg
278KB, 2000x1400px
>balance has been a complete joke ever since release
>game been out for longer a year and there's still zero content
>wtf what do you mean my game is dying????
>>
>>385524704
>in TF2

Its a bad game.
>>
File: brother, I slap shit.jpg (90KB, 600x524px) Image search: [Google]
brother, I slap shit.jpg
90KB, 600x524px
>>385526057
>all my favorite heroes are involved in your average dive comp (Genji, Tracer, Winston, D.Va).
You must be great at FPS games and an all around pleasant dude to play with.
>>
>>385525819
>was also DM based in many ways

Yeah, sad that FPS's had to become objective based shitfests. IT was fine in BF because of the vehicles. Now like no FPS's are TDM based.
>>
>>385521035
how can these "pros" complain about the game being stale when the game has barely been out a year? If you want stale opinions talk to CS players
>>
>>385526202
>pharmercy king of the hill vs pharmercy everywhere else
Is there some reason I don't get with my peasant diamond brain why that combo would be OP on KotH that wouldn't work on Offense or Defense?
>>
File: 1472418177673.gif (744KB, 293x240px) Image search: [Google]
1472418177673.gif
744KB, 293x240px
>>385526202
>months ago
>3 tank meta
>reaper is a shitpick
>Winston in every game
>Reaper is still a shitpick
>>
>>385526305
CS is more skill-based and relies more on tactics that are ever-evolving while OW's meta stagnates until Blizzard rebalances.
>>
>>385526202
blizzard_balancing.jpg
>>
>>385526217
Do you have any actual arguments or are you just going to spout dumb shit?
>>
>>385526508
>game is well over a decade old
>a couple of weapons are introduced
>the same fucking maps are in every game
It's stale if you're not a new player, autismo, or pro.
>>
>>385526459
Every non-KotH map has chokepoints and high ground advantages out the ass, so attack is forced to run dive to actually be able to take ground. Defense is then forced to run dive too because the only counter to dive is dive.

Most of the game's problems stem from shitty map design, and unfortunately that's not something they'll be able to fix without redoing every existing map or releasing at least half a dozen not-shit maps.
>>
>>385526706
it is. I'm just pointing out that you can play CS for much longer than OW without wanting to blow your head off
>>
>>385526305
CS relies more on player skill than on forced meta memery, a game like LoL or Dota2 can get away with it with the huge pool of options available to use. OW doesn't have that.
>>
>>385524704
As opposed to an organically grown limit of a number instead of a timer? What the fuck is this literal non-argument.
>>
>>385526459
All the KotH maps are very Pharah friendly. And once Pharah's in play, why not ramp her up to her full potential with Mercy in tow?
>>
>>385526791
LoL is one thing, but Dota 2 team compositions have been extremely diverse.
>>
>>385525901
I used to think pros were fat people, but then I actually see pictures of them and they're pretty hot sometimes.
>>
>>385523136
this
>>
>>385526723
>>385526926
Fair points, make sense. Thank you both, was close on KotH maps being friendly to Pharah, couldn't figure out how unfriendly chokepoints are to Pharah.
>>
>>385526706
"Stale" doesn't equal "lack of content", dumbo. CS remains fresh despite lack of constant new content because there's a lot of strategic diversity and the gunplay is satisfying. Overwatch is about running the FotM strategy that stems from poor map/character balance and trying to outcheese your opponent, and the actual gunplay relies less on player skill than on the overall strategy you're running.
>>
>>385526996
Which makes it the superior option and coincidentally was also made by Valve

What kind of magic does Valve use for baking successful long-lasting games?
>>
>>385527193
brains
blizzard is just in it for a quick buck it feels like valve is always playing the long game
>>
>>385527193
Attracting top level talent and being really deliberative in design. Everybody always jokes about that fucking Episode 2 commentary where people were getting lost in the maze, but the commentary really shows how much work they put into designing how everything plays off each other.
>>
>>385526175
Well, good to know you're actually retarded.

I'm sure one day you'll get that square block through the round hole or god be damned.
>>
>>385527143
>couldn't figure out how unfriendly chokepoints are to Pharah.
It's not that chokepoints on attack are Pharah-unfriendly, it's that Pharah and Mercy aren't enough to properly deal with entrenched defenders, and the rest of her team is still affected by chokepoints. Dive is just massively more reliable than Pharah is, but before the dive meta Pharah was a good pick for non-KotH as well.
>>
>>385526849
He's arguing that atrade-off for using an ability is based around sacrificing some sort of resource (ammo, health, metal) is better than a timer-based approach.
I don't know how you didn't figure that out.
>>
It's it good enough for Jeff then it's good enough for you.

Now swallow your fucking boulder
>>
File: 1501220937768.jpg (15KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
1501220937768.jpg
15KB, 480x480px
>>385526175
>a l4d2 style report system
What did he mean by this?
>>
>>385526706
Have you ever actually played or watched competitive CS?
>>
I have never ever given a shit what the pros think or are doing and just play the game and have fun myself, who gives a fuck.
>>
I wish they would update the game faster.
>>
>>385527615
That'll get you banned for griefing.
>>
>>385526229
You know what you're doing is ironic right? Do I have to like all the same things you like? Stop throwing a fit whenever someone doesn't share your preferences and grow up child.
>>
>>385521035
I can't speak for top level play, but yes - the game is boring as fuck. Matches are so similar to one another that after a hundred hours you'll realize you haven't had a single memorable moment.

This game is bland.
>>
>100 reports and you're banned for a day
I like the idea in theory but before long everyone is going to be scared to say anything in fear of getting reported.
>>
>>385527193
Valve didn't do anything, TF2 was made by Robin Walker a guy they hired from TFC, Dota was made by Icefrog a guy they hired from Dota, and CS:GO was made by Turtlerock
valve themselves are talentless lazy pieces of shit
>>
>>385528224
what
>>
>>385528381
yeah and the idea for portal was made by 2 kids they valve hired them and teamed up and made portal

so they hire well? i dont see your point
>>
File: 1412894815958.png (256KB, 476x477px) Image search: [Google]
1412894815958.png
256KB, 476x477px
>WON'T SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE PROS!
>>
File: 1494010284616.jpg (12KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1494010284616.jpg
12KB, 250x250px
>>385528381
>thinks games are only made by one person
>>
>>385528045
The only memorable moments I have of the game aren't even gameplay-related, it was a Mercy main calling me "Rein daddy". Another time, we had a team of dps with no healer, won, and one sperg was still throwing a tantrum.
>>
>>385528381
>Why aren't babies being born on the premises of the company and getting hired the day they start talking to begin their training as game developers
You do realize hiring people is a very popular concept, right?
>>
>>385523450

COD4 also had tons of shit to do. You had challenges and weapon shit to unlock and do.

OW is just the same shit over and over again.
>>
File: 1499457064145.jpg (210KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
1499457064145.jpg
210KB, 1200x900px
>>385522450
Hi. I know this post is old, but in case you're still around, the OP specifically mentions pros and the guy you're quoting responded as such. So saying
>Except that "singular best team comp" only really exists at the highest levels, and a majority of players are not at the highest levels. It's something like 20% of the playerbase that's actually above 3k.
is retarded and irrelevant. Have a nice day.
>>
File: 1413950013761.jpg (114KB, 807x861px) Image search: [Google]
1413950013761.jpg
114KB, 807x861px
>"i wonder if that 'fewer repeats in lootboxes' is in yet"
>level 350, bought maybe 30 boxes across all the events
>open a lootbox
>4 duplicates
>>
>>385521035
I rarely see pro streamers not bitching about the game they're playing. For instance I always hear Pro streamers bitching about third person in Battlegrounds and how slow it makes the game.

When I watched Dryus streaming LoL the other day (only time I ever watched him or an LoL stream) he was whining about the state of the game making no classes good to use or some shit. He also sounded dead inside. Didn't even say thanks when someone gave him a $100 donation.

I'm fairly certain no pro gamers like their game after a while.
>>
>pro gaming
When will this meme die?
>>
>>385523450
After 50 hours or so maps like Route 66 and Hanamura just started feeling like the same game every time to me. The engagements happen in the same places in almost the same way every single time. COD4's firefights felt fresh and exciting every single time, possibly because they didn't last long but the maps also had a lot to see, and there wasn't much to discourage going to any specific point on the map.

Personally it felt like entire sections of maps in Overwatch were designed with only one or two specific heroes in mind, which means those heroes are just objectively the best at doing their thing in the same way every time at a certain point. I always thought Badwater in TF2 was one of the best maps at being open ended in terms of how you approach it as any class; on the first point alone, soldiers and demomen have a an open field with some pillars for creative rocket/sticky jumping, snipers have a bunch of strong sightlines, engineers have multiple spots for nests, etc. Every class has its chance to shine at every point so it doesn't feel like you're funneled into the same strategy/classes every time.
>>
>>385530070
That's because unless they enjoy playing the game, it's their job. People want to see what high level play looks like, rather than seeing the streamer be an entertaining person. So more often than not we end up with these "pro gamers" that are sad shells of men who don't even consider that playing something else would refresh them.
>>
>>385530478
Thats what i figured aswell. The "few people " op is talking about are probably jusy burnt out, playing OW every day, the same maps on comp seeing the same comp maybe a small tweak with the 1 odd character change to the current meta, seeing the same strategy of high ground in the same places, hearing people bitch at the sombra\hanzo\widow. Want to play another hero you know you're good at but people tell you to pick the same one because you have 100+ hours on it. Its a headache that tires people out on comp
>>
>>385530369
I sincerely believe this is caused by TF2 being primarily designed as a fun multiplayer game while over watch was engineered to be an esport game. It has honestly been plagueing every Blizzard game since they cashed in on the SC1 proscene, not even WoW was completely free of it. It wouldn't surprise me if the new CoD is going to see similar problems after the activist on/blizzard merger. You are already seeing it in the gameplay features of linear objective based maps which funnel players to certain areas; one team builds a bridge while the other tries to stop them.
>>
>>385532197
>Thats what i figured aswell. The "few people " op is talking about are probably jusy burnt out, playing OW every day
No dumbass. A lot of OW pros are formerly TF2 pros. There are former CS pros too.

These same people say that OW is particularly stale and shit. Nice try though dumbass.
>>
>>385521308
you currently browsing /v/ - Celebrities and Politics
>>
>>385521035
if you play the game you would know why. if you don't, why would it matter?
Thread posts: 88
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.