[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why have video games regressed? >i-it's just nostalgia

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 225
Thread images: 27

File: 1361211427957.jpg (545KB, 1956x1872px) Image search: [Google]
1361211427957.jpg
545KB, 1956x1872px
Why have video games regressed?
>i-it's just nostalgia
No it isn't, shut the fuck up.
>>
Devs realized the formula for making the most money out of the least effort
See weapon skins and loot boxes
>>
>>385503725
FEAR is hardly an run-of-the-mill example of FPS games of the past. There's a reason why it has a cult following
>>
Literally none of the AI routines mattered because as soon as you start slow mo they lose their shit and scramble like retards. And it didn't matter outside of slow mo either since all they would do is hide behind cover and take pot shots. I beat the game on the hardest difficulty and never noticed the AI doing anything impressive beyond not walking into some obvious mines I tossed into a hallway.
>>
>>385503725
Devs just care about graphics and nothing else nowadays
>>
>>385504069
You'd think someone would try to improve on it though
It's not like every dev is into making games for profit
>>
>>385504142
This. All the small gimmicks ultimately mean nothing. Doom enemies are more interesting to fight.
>>
>>385504142
>using slow mo

>>385504230
>Doom enemies are more interesting to fight.

Go shitpost on your nearest console war thread retards.
>>
>>385504069
Legend of Dragoon has a cult following specifically because everyone except a small group of retards saw it for the run-of-the-mill crap it is and the same applies to QUEER as well.
>>
>>385504142
>>385504230
ITT plebs
>>
>>385503725
>Play mgsv
>Get spotted by one dude
>Suddenly the whole base knows exactly where you are in pinpoint accuracy
>Hide for a bit
>They start shooting where you last were

uhh
>>
The video game market is now worth billions. As per other entertainement industries, sales aren't necesseraly reflective of quality, but rather hype and marketing. Even back in 2005 FEAR didn't sell that well, it was a success but not a ground breaking success. Video games haven't really regressed in that regard, there are great games now like there were great games in 2005 or 1995, but those games aren't huge hits. But look at the movie indutry or music industry, it's the exact same principle : in order to sell as many copies as possible, you have to appeal to the lowest denominator, and appeal to what people already know (people hate to be suprised). Why does Fifa 2017 sell so well despite essentialy being the same as Fifa 2016? Why is mass effect andromeda one of the top 20 best sales of 2017 even though it was trashed left and right? Why will the emoji movie be profitable even though everyone knew from the start it would be shit?
People are dumb. Not the industry. If people only bought quality products, then the industry would produce these quality products. But people buy shit, and then they buy shit 2: the reshitting, so as we say, as long as the music plays, we dance.
>>
>>385504430
MGSV's AI is worse than MGS2's they don't even bot
>>
>>385504430
>Suddenly the whole base knows exactly where you are in pinpoint accuracy
its not even that
if they think they some something they'll just go to that area where they thought they saw something
>>
>>385504329
Not that guy but the enemy AI in DOOM 2016 is pretty good.
>>
>>385504194
FPS hit the ceiling a long time ago, nowadays it's either about perfecting the experience or throwing a subgenre twist in order to innovate (sometimes both, like Quake Champions or most of the "hero shooters" for that matter).
>>
File: xbox_844 (1).jpg (379KB, 1482x1000px) Image search: [Google]
xbox_844 (1).jpg
379KB, 1482x1000px
It's expensive to innovate and create new experiences these days when theres are a bunch fags that watch gaming journalist and e celeb garbage on youtube. Also most people prefere cinematic games and hate games being to gamey and hard for them to adjust to. Some how if a game gets below 8/10 then a game is automatically deemed as trash by most normies. Garbage e celeb bait games like dream daddy are getting more praise than actually good indie games on steam.
>>
>>385503725
Honestly, AI was basically never "good" or great in games. It was always mediocre with a few games that had better AI. Companies focused mostly on graphics. I thought BotW had pretty decent AI but far from perfect but they seemed alive because enemies reacted differently to shit. Creating great AI just isn't something most developers bother with at all because they pump those games out on a yearly basis and then games get a heavy discount to sell as much as possible. Developers simply don't care about great AI because it doesn't boost sales.
>>
Because that shit doesn't sell additional copies but still takes developement time away. It's about maximizing profit, not making good games.
>>
>>385503725
by AI means? no where.
>>
>>385503725
Its easier to make a multiplayer game than make a shooter with decent AI, and if your game is open world your AI is kinda expected to be shit.
>>
File: mutant warrior.jpg (121KB, 944x846px) Image search: [Google]
mutant warrior.jpg
121KB, 944x846px
>>385503725
I never got why they didn't make the soldiers in F.E.A.R more horror game like.
>>
>>385503725
Honestly, a lot of that was smoke and mirrors. IIRC the AI in FEAR was programmed to do follow a few very simple instructions along the lines of "try to get close to the player -> stay to cover -> shoot". It was a bit more complicated than that, but you get the idea. The levels are laid out in such a way as to take advantage of this by making multiple routes around each arena, giving the impression that they're flanking, often in a coordinated fashion, when really they're all just doing their own thing. Similarly, while they may say stuff about what they're doing, the rest of the squad doesn't do anything with this information. It's purely for the benefit of the player, to immerse him and make it look like the enemies are coordinated.
>>
>>385506004
I don't think the horror elements would have been as effective if you're constantly fighting against a horrific looking army of clones.

A lot of what makes them memorable enemies is how normal they are in my opinion.
>>
>>385503725
Pretty sure GTA V's AI does all those things sans the slo mo and maybe the flashlight
>>
>>385506516
lol
>>
File: re loaded gremlin.jpg (1MB, 2309x2953px) Image search: [Google]
re loaded gremlin.jpg
1MB, 2309x2953px
>>385503725
Higher graphical fidelity means you need bigger teams, means more management and communication issues, means less focused sense of vision and detection+response to emerging issues with the game. Also bigger budgets increase the investor incentive to play it safe. Lesser need to compete on the rendering, physics and animation areas allowed more free reigns to design movement and visuals to serve gameplay rather than aesthetic purposes.

That said, they haven't regressed as much as some people like to claim. We've had pretty awful games since the beginning, people just don't remember them.
>>
Back in the day nobody listened to the average PC gamer.
>>
File: Replica_Unmasked.jpg (35KB, 351x600px) Image search: [Google]
Replica_Unmasked.jpg
35KB, 351x600px
>>385506004
They did that monster thing in 2 and it was fucking garbage. The human soliders in 1 were much more spookier when you actually thought about the dissonance between their motivations and their behaviour.
>>
>>385504463
this has no replies because nobody can even bring themselves to bait this truth
>>
>>385506815
The police do though
>they flank you whenever possible
>they use the environment (what they can anyway, since GTA doesn't have environmental destruction/alteration)
>they use suppressive fire (IV's did too)
>they throw grenades frequently when they have them (IV's did too, even more in fact)
>they communicate with their squad and help each other out when they get injured (IV had this too, they would pull injured officers out of harm's way)
>they backpedal when pushed (also in IV)
>they blindfire (also in IV)
>they still fire their guns while they fall and after they are killed, the shots can still kill you (in IV sometimes the guns would discharge after falling on the ground)
>they always strafe and try to avoid your crosshairs (part of the reason why using free aim on console is annoying)
>they melee if you get close (they usually end up killing you before that ever happens though, since they have pinpoint accuracy)
>they climb ladders outside of scripted events
That leaves out the slo mo and the flashlights, though V does have flashlights on the guns, I'm not too sure whether they react to it, but in my time playing it, I've seen the AI do all these things
>>
>>385503725
FEARs AI is pretty overrated

>only works because the whole game is set in one environment that is specifically designed for it
>most of it is just good audio work that makes them seem smart because it adds context to their actions
>>
Daily reminder that in fucking 2017 it has'nt be topped
>>
>>385504917
But Breakdown was a pile of shit
>>
>>385507148
>Higher graphical fidelity
Wouldn't that have already been dealt with back in the days of making thousands of pre-rendered graphics?
>>
>>385503725
GTFA old man, now video games are about beautiful sad and immersive stories, not fucking gameplay and good AI. Scripted event are a lot better, and are more immersive, like in Uncharted.
>>
File: 1483080259901.jpg (19KB, 249x230px) Image search: [Google]
1483080259901.jpg
19KB, 249x230px
>>385507719
Are you just shitposting or you never got gud at the game? Explain yourself.
>>
>>385503725
>climb ladders

NPC's in the GTAV can do that
terrorists in Siege can do that
>>
Fear's A.I. is notorious for being really good at creating illusion of being smart rather than being exceptionally smart: the only thing that is REALLY ingenious about it is the absolutely amazing sound rigging and design.

Which is not to say it's not good. It just feels a lot better than it is. It's not actually quite as impressive as A.I. in much older games, such as original Half-life, Unreal or some of the Alien games. Most of it's behavior is actually hard coded into the environment on an encounter-per encounter basis, with the A.I. simply cycling between pre-coded environmental markers. The A.I. also does not actually communicate with each other at all. They are highly mobile though, which is cool (the most common and frequent issue with contemporary A.I. is that they glue enemies to the ground, especially when shooting).

But the thing that makes it feel so damn satisfying is actually sound rig, which makes voice-messages play in certain situations giving you the IMPRESSION that you are dealing with a coordinated squad. Those screams, those reports, the radio chatter in general is actually the most impressive thing about the whole game. Other than that: the behavior is fun, it makes for fun gameplay, but it is in no way adaptative or particularly complex.
Again: if you want to look into some really interesting A.I.: HL1, one of the older Alien games, ARMA series, Unreal, STALKER etc... I vaguely remember one of the Renegade games being praised for A.I. but I never checked it.
All of those games have more actually complex behavioral patterns than FEAR.

The big lesson to learn here is that A.I. in videogames is much less about the actual complexity, and much more about how they feel. And one of the biggest issues is that the actually smarter the A.I. is, the more it may appear DUMB. Like we used to joke and how stupid the soldiers in HL1 are: they are actually very clever. That is what leads to them making mistakes in the first place.
>>
>>385504430
>stealth game
>guards wandering around muttering to themselves, making all kind of noise
>make the slightest, quitest sound, often a footstep
>they're all instantly aware that it's a stranger's footstep and home in on me
>>
>>385507905
Besides of being a mess filled with bugs, BD had shit controls, bad level and enemies design and a broken melee system.

But maybe you'd like it for the muh cinematic and muh story factor
>>
>>385508030
>this painting is notorious for being really good at creating illusion of light and space rather than actually being space with light

There aren't actually smart AIs in games nor do they need ones.
>>
>>385508465
>There aren't actually smart AIs in games nor do they need ones.
The first claim is patently wrong, the second is questionable.
>>
>>385508030
>the AI in HL1 is good

What older Alien game?
>>
Because video games became mainstream thanks to PS3/Xb360.
Anything that goes mainstream turns to shit.
Nowadays you just make games with as less content as possible just so idiots buy all DLCs.
>>
>>385508465
>There aren't actually smart AIs in games
Yes there are, that's the point. There are way more advanced AIs than FEAR's. But FEAR works around its limitations through level design and sound design to compensate for flaws in the AI. In the end, it's the player's experience that matters. So yes, FEAR proves games don't "need" smart AIs. At least, not necessarily. Not if your game is FEAR.
>>
>>385508548
They are all just glorified state machines where the human ascribes any deeper meanings to their aesthetics. I really didn't see any more complex behaviour in Half-Life or STALKER. You sure this isn't just marketing bullshit on those games part while FEAR's AI is relatively well documented?
>>
>>385503725
ownership, leadership, staff, etc. changed
People who make a living buying and selling companies aren't creative, innovative, or risk takers.
People who make a living founding companies are
even if it was always about the money and never about passion, this is still holds true.
>>
>>385503725
Most of that, while impressive it's scripted to happen, it's not AI work, it's devs putting tons of work on combat based around the level design.
>>
>>385507259
Which one had the industrial blenders to rend down the 'imperfect' clones? That was disturbing.
>>
>>385508581
>videogames weren't already mainstream in the 90's
you must be at least 18 to post here
>>
>>385508956
They really weren't. Not in the way big money investors see.
>>
>>385508571
>What older Alien game?
One of the AvP, I think it was released around 1999? I'll try to look it up. The core game A.I. was pretty good on it's own, but the real "gem" was in it's simple survival hoard mode, which implemented rudimentary simulated neuronal network model (it's not quite as impressive as it sounds) causing the Aliens to actually learn during the session by trial and error. I think it was what inspired some of the Alien: Isolation behavior, though A:I had it hardcoded, they did not bother with actual simulated neuronal networks.

>>385508680
No, no and no. You are wrong in every account. And A.I. in both Stalker and HL is extremely well documented. In fact (and this plays to what I said earlier), we really only learned some of the most advanced behavior of HL's A.I. from the documentation, because they really weren't noticeable in the game. Some of the most advanced A.I. in Half-life is on fucking Houndeyes of all creatures. They have highly advanced pack A.I. where individuals actually cooperate and communicate, have a leader whose dead will alter the behavior of the entire pack etc...

Except nobody will notice because they just die very quickly and the alterations of their behavior don't constitute particular game-changing deal: it was more of an apparent programmers fun pet project. Same applies to the roaches in the game, BTW.
>>
>why have western games regressed
there you go, fixed that for you
>>
>>385508878
>AI is scripted
No fucking shit are you retarded? What game has an actual consciousness?
>>
>>385509227
Name 5 jap games with good AI
>>
>>385508030
>stalker
>interesting AI
I seriously don't get this meme. As far as combat is concerned it is absolutely terrible. I could have recorded the hundreds of comical combat situations I encountered while playing.
>>
>>385509372
Ninja Gaiden
Ninja Gaiden Black
Ninja Gaiden DS
Ninja Gaiden Sigma
Ninja Gaiden Sigma plus
>>
>>385509154
yes, they were. they weren't as big as they are now, but they weren't some underground thing no one but a select few had heard of. Hell, there was a video game industry crash in the early 90's, because guess what, video games were already big in those days. as you would know if you had been around
>>
>>385509415
All wrong
Try again
>>
>>385504430
That's definitely annoying but then on the other hand you can fuck with them by hiding in a box then moving. The guy in the radio gets mad at them for fucking around.
>>
>>385509315
I know it's hard to understand for underage or fanboys who never learned anything about actual game design, but there is a difference from scripting complex ai, and scripting events in the map to happen and make it look like it's the AI making decisions, that's what FEAR is great at doing, the AI without those scripted events would be actually way less capable than say, HL2 combine soldiers, as an example.
>>
>>385509389
That is the fucking problem, can you not read? The more complex the A.I. behavior is, the more likely it is to do something silly - which is one of the main reasons why you don't see A.I. like Stalkers or HL's in many modern games. HL2 has comparatively MUCH more simple A.I. than HL1 and it's not because Valve was lazy or incompetent over time: it's MAINLY to actually avoid the absolute goofiness that HL1's human A.I. displayed routinely because in less cartoony-feeling game, watching soldiers head-roll off a fucking railing or blowing half of is squad up on accident would absolutely break the intended tone of the game.

The more systems and beahavoiral patterns you have, the more likely it is to do something that you did not quite expect, and that something being possibly REALLY stupid. Same reason why we usually don't see neuronal-network based A.I. in games despite having access to it since 1986.

That said, Stalker's A.I. can really take you off guard and fuck you over really badly. It's what comes with more advanced A.I.: more fuck-ups, more surprises. Neither of which is always desirable, design and gameplay-wise. And hence the field not really making that much progression.
>>
>>385509421
It wasn't underground, but it was still mostly a weird thing that boys and nerds did. Mainstream means that it has become widely accepted as the norm. I'd estimate that it started reminding mainstream only some time after Quake got released and it still has some hickups that still obscure the exact definition of "mainstream gaming".
>>
>>385509632
The thing is that it's not complex as you may think. When combat happens I feel that AI rolls a dice to decide what to do. I had very long lasting combats where idiots would strafe around doing shit for 5 minutes straight, without progressing. Or sometimes the AI has NPCs heading straight towards you so all you have to di is raise your head a little bit and shoot them in the head.
I will never forget clearing out the army base in Clear Sky, as soon as the alarm rang the idiots all gathered outside and despite that I was in their line of sight, they remained like this so all I had to di was picking them off one by one.
There's no complex AI in Stalker, it's a cheap AI that works half of the time. It's not bad by any standards for a 2007-2009 game, but all the fuss about it being so deep and intelligent is nothing but memeing.
>>
>>385509853
Jesus you are dumb. Can you really not fucking read? What the fuck is wrong with you?
>>
>>385503725
FEAR is still overrated and boring
>>
>>385509904
You said STALKER AI is complex, I'm telling you that it isn't and that it is simply fundamentally broken. I have yet to see complex behavior patterns in this game.
>>
>>385509568
ALL AI has scripted events sputid
>>
the AI in the halo games do all that shit and have since the first one, though, it's really not that impressive
>>
>>385510097
I just spend about six post explaining that the actual complexity of the A.I. systems and behavior and the actual end-user experience are not always the same, and in fact, how more complex systems might lead more often to seemingly illogical or silly behavior.
And yet here you are, you god damn CRETIN, talking how you say A.I. in Stalker acting silly and illogically and how that totally means it's not complex.

ARE YOU ACTUALLY CLINICALLY RETARDED!?

The more complex it is, the more likely it is to show really silly behavior or to even break. That is the fucking point, from fucking start you mongoloid. How can you not comprehend that? You don't know the number of factors that are at play when Stalker executes it's A.I. behavior. It is fucking complex. A.I. in Stalker has been seen laying unscripted ambushes, sneaking up on enemies, reliably fanning out to create cross-fire conditions, evading line of sight, retreating or charging, consistently looking for cover and vantage points. If we add the animal A.I. which simulates complex pack behavior, even has a fucking attention override (which when working properly causes the animal to account or stop accounting for anomalies depending on alertness (e.g. a terrified dog escaping because you killed the pack leader will run into anomaly, but a calm dog just patroling the area will not) and all of this happening emergently, with virtually no scripting, in a complex terrain and nearly infinite possible circumstances, you have one FUCKING robust and complex A.I. system.

But that is the problem: this means there is a LOT possible patterns to execute, a lot of conditions at play, and that makes a LOT of possible fuck-ups and bizarre or illogical actions - making the A.I. look dumb or broken.

And this is the fucking last time I'm explaining this shit: if you are still not getting this, you are a complete, absolute lost soul and I'm not going to be wasting any more time on you.
>>
>>385510264
There is a difference between environmental hard-wired script and adaptative dynamic script you moron. Of course everything in a game is "scripted" because programming language is based on scripts, that is clearly not what he is talking about.
Why are people around this fucking dumb?
>>
>>385504463
https://youtu.be/qOUqaVp1Gg8?t=166
>>
>>385507352
Can you actually tell me why people bother to shitpost like this

literally atleast 80% of this entire post is a fabrication
>>
>>385509718
>>385509718
Again heres just another post where some cunt is just saying shit, why do you bother at all
>>
>>385504463
>telling profound truths
Thiis is a christian imageboard, no objective truths allowed.
>>
>>385510264
Scripted events are part of the map design, not of the AI. Just because a mirror can be broken in a game doesn't mean a game has breakable glasses, it can also mean that particular mirror has a set of triggers and events set in the map to make it look like you can break it, in this case this is something done by the map designer. not by people who coded the object's behaviour. FEAR "impressive" AI work is actually tons of carefully premade work on maps to make it look like the AI takes tactical decisions like knowing where to take cover or call for backup.
>>
>>385510982
It's not a shitpost though, the AI does all thise things in my experience. I recently played the gang wars in The Lost and Damned and the AI always did what I said, in fact, I always died because I always took cover next to cars and our bikes when the AI threw grenades to flush me out, and the cars blew up before I could react to anything. Whenever I do rampages in V I always camp at the end of Grove Street, where the cops would either helicopter in troops right on top of me, or try to climb the walls or go around the houses to try to flush me out. They would shout at each other all the time too, especially when one of them was killed. I would also camp on top of a building with a ladder specifically because the AI would climb the ladder after you and get fucked up by my shotgun. Rockstar is infamous for their autistic attention to detail you know.
>>
>gothic 1 & 2 ai
>oblivion ai (an attempt was made)
>dworf fort ai
>ultima 7 ai

Video game AI hasn't done anything but get worse over the last decade.
>>
>>385510607
This isn't the case anymore since the start of the decade.
Games do not ship with a really clever AI because it's just too difficult for players to dealt with it.
The industry managed to create systemic AIs that did not do stupid technical mistakes a while ago, the main remaining problem is how the player can manage to toy with it.
The more complex and human-like an AI is, the more chaotic it is. A human can decide to go peeing at any moment, or turn around because he's bored.
You can't have that in game, since it renders the AI much too unpredictable, and without the correct tools and signs, the player cannot play with the AI.

If you need to see a rather good AI, you should turn to action/FPS games with tactical elements. AIs in The Division for example, have a lot of the behaviors that the OP posted, dynamically based on the layout of the encounter.
>>
>>385511679
To be fair Gothic 1&2's, aswell as FEAR's, apparent good ai is basically just very good game design.
By making a world believable, a , perhaps, shitty AI is no big deal.
>>
>>385511093
Or maybe you just have a shit understanding of what "mainstream" is generally accepted as? Just because it's popular amongst a certain demographic doesn't make it mainstream.
>>
>>385510663
>>385511147
And that happens in every single game retards
>>
>>385511835
Literally your entire post was conjecture, neck yourself
>>
>>385503725
>VIDEO GAMES HAVE REGRESSED!
>TLOS does the same thing with human enemies
>HURRR OVERRATED MOVIE GAME
>>
>>385511702
This is a lot less than half true. Basically the only true thing about all of this is that yes: more advanced or complex A.I. does not necessarily mean more enjoyable, or more profitable game.

But everything else is just meaningless "shaking the walking stick and screaming how people are dumb now and how you generation was smarter" shtick.

>The industry managed to create systemic AIs that did not do stupid technical mistakes a while ago
I'd really like to see examples of that? I don't think you have the faintest clue what you are talking about.
Seriously, show me a game that has managed to make relatively accident and freak-out free highly complex systemic A.I. (HL1/Stalker level) not making stupid technical issues. I'm fucking curious.

I actually think you mixed together two largely unrelated problems: Actual complexity of A.I. in games in GENERAL, and a largely unconnected issue of apparent A.I. specifically in relation to STEALTH genre. And in these cases really don't talk about complexity, but usually more about things like attention triggers (cone of sight, sound aggro etc...), which really are extremely restricted in order to prevent the stealth to be frustrating, as it does require the player to be able to reliably predict A.I. behavior and usually little options to improvise after a failure.

And you somehow combined these two issues into one to make it sound like a generic "people nowdays are just too dumb to handle what use used to handle".

>>385511908
I have absolutely no words to properly describe how insanely dumb you are anymore. Seek help.
>>
>>385512087
TLOU I mean.
>>
Uncharted 4 has better AI
>>
File: 1411026355088.jpg (8KB, 229x250px) Image search: [Google]
1411026355088.jpg
8KB, 229x250px
Because plebs will eat up anything as long as it's marketed enough, so why put effort into things?
>>
>>385512087
The Last Operating System
>>
>>385503725
Uncharted 4 and the last of us have better AI but people here will call both "movies" and will never point out how impressive the AI is
>>
>>385512306
good gameplay design > complex AI.
>>
>>385512101
>hurr ur dumb ecks dee
Great argument you pretentious twat. Name one game that exclusively has dynamic AI.
>>
File: carlie.jpg (359KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
carlie.jpg
359KB, 1024x1024px
>>385503725
There was a GDC on this last year. The developers said that playtesting overwheleming shows players do not like complex ai. The players incapable of making courageous actions and either directly approach the enemy or just sit behind cover. Players also suck at improvized thinking and won't fucking adapt when the enemy starts to flank them.

Even worst players do not want to learn. They just complain the ai is too hard and give up.

Developers are INTENTIONALLY keeping ai bad.

The tools to make fear ai already fucking exists. You can google this shit and get it for free, it was released for free. Nowadays we could probably improve on it! No one wants it. Gamers want dumb ass enemies.
>>
>>385512386
>>385511835
low IQ samefag spotted
>>
>>385512101
>"people nowdays are just too dumb to handle what use used to handle".
I never said that and it was not my intention.
>Seriously, show me a game that has managed to make relatively accident and freak-out free highly complex systemic A.I. (HL1/Stalker level) not making stupid technical issues. I'm fucking curious.
my point is exactly that this kind of advanced AI do not stay in-game because it's too complex to handle.
Also HL1/Stalker do not have complex AI, what the fuck are you smoking. Document yourself.
http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1023382/AI-Behavior-Editing-and-Debugging
http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1024467/Authored-vs-Systemic-Finding-a
http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1022019/Goal-Oriented-Action-Planning-Ten
>>
>>385512372
That's a bit much. I found the AI entertaining, but anything else was fucking silly. Uncharted 4 did the same thing, but I found the TPS and covershooting marginally ore fun and complex that FEAR's time slowdown shit. The AI in fear is all the gameplay there is.
>>
>>385512372
Both uncharted 4 and the last of us have better "gameplay" design
The level design in Uncharted 4 especially is amazing and memorable, unlike Fear, which has room after room
Keep talking shit tho
>>385512495
Pretty much
I'm glad that such a high budget game would invest in something like good AI
>>
>>385512495
>The AI in fear is all the gameplay there is.
The combat/level design is all the gameplay there is, FEAR AI is pretty basic, combat designs are levels are where the actual complexity are, every encounter is planned to be interesting in FEAR, there isnt a single randomly put enemy anywhere.
>>
File: 1458744802457.jpg (39KB, 600x557px) Image search: [Google]
1458744802457.jpg
39KB, 600x557px
>>385512639
>Both um uncharted 4 and last of us have better "gameplay design"
>people like this actually post here
>>
>>385503974
Minimal investment is the name of the game.
Making a good game doesn't make the most money. Minimal investment and an aggressive marketing campaign makes the most money.

Welcome to business.
>>
>>385512473
xDD
>>
>>385512739
Not an argument
>>
>>385512474
>I never said that and it was not my intention.
it is exactly what you said and exactly your intention you hypocritical cunt. At least be honest with yourself.

Also: those fucking links... Look I'm actually going to go through all of those because why not, but your actual fucking "proof" of the games notoriously well known for highly complex A.I. not having highly complex A.I. by linking overblown presentation of fucking Naughty Dog and absolutely no evidence related to actual fucking Stalker or Half-life are ALREADY A FUCKING JOKE.

Are you the same joke posting this?>>385512639
>>
>>385512854
You no argument to begin with you underage retard
>>
>>385512690
You might be right, but I didn't get that experience out of the game, the only time I had proper fun beyond abusing the AI was with the stealth ninjas. It's fine to dislike uncharted games and naughty dog games, but to pretend the areas are haphazardly slapped together and enemies are just thrown into the map is some silly shit. Those fuckers know what they're doing.
>>
Uncharted 4 actually has really good AI during all-out combat, when they know where you are. There are always enemies sneaking around and flanking you as others entrench in cover across from you and try to flush you out with grenades as they slowly move up to you. Others will try to reach high ground where they can get a clean shot. They also act in little squads - like in FEAR - and choose their route from cover-to-cover based on which route is the shortest vs which is least exposed to the player's line of sight, depending on their role in their little assault on you. It's a hundred times better than the AI in TLOU.

But since the game does not feature anything like slo-mo to help the player, they are a little gimped to try and make the game more fun. Like if you are exposed to 10 of them at once, not all of them will shoot at you in order to let the player have a chance of escaping. Usually it is only the ones who are off-screen who will be affected like this.
And they will do things like stop shooting and go "oh shit" when you throw a grenade at their feet. If you get up really close to an enemy, they will often stop shooting and will try to melee you instead, even though just shooting you would kill you way easier.

If FEAR didn't have slo-mo to help the player overcome impossible odds, you can bet your ass it would have little things like this to gimp the AI as well, because otherwise everyone would complain the game was way too hard. FEAR without slo-mo is hard as fuck and is not for anyone but the most hardcore players.
>>
Excuse me, weren't bots in unreal tournament 3 both smart and precise in their execution? I am talking abouth strongest difficulty.
>>
>>385512940
Your post was
>these people exist
Okay? Am I supposed to argue pure asspain somehow?
>>
>>385513173
I wouldn't expect your retard ass to
>>
>>385503725
Because games still play and feel the same as they did 10 years ago. There's also been too much focus on improving grafics. Instead they need to focus on getting more processing power to create more advanced AI, NPC's and draw faster stuff on screen.
Don't bet on this happening anytime soon though since consoles have decent GPU's but run on shit-tier notebook CPU's.
>>
>>385513315
Not him, but you're part of the reason this place has degraded into a shitpile. You could have argued against him, instead replied with "LOL SOMEONE LIKES THING I DON'T LAUGH", you might as well have replied with "t.cuck." It means nothing and only derails discussion into the flinging of insults.
>>
>>385513562
t.poopyhead
>>
>>385512903
I'm not >>385512903 but I see now that you can't be reasoned with given that you project your own opinions on my posts.
>>
>>385513562
>make dumb blanket statement
>I'm the one supposed to argue it
Shut up cuck
>>
>>385513956
You think just replying with
>You're a retard
is anything but shitposting? That's not arguing, that's nothing
>>
File: 1495724109886.gif (961KB, 240x180px) Image search: [Google]
1495724109886.gif
961KB, 240x180px
>fear
>good at all
>at anything
Yeah, totally not nostalgia. Even worse than hl2fags.
>>
>>385513956
>dumb blanket statement
All he did was say uncharted was better than fear. People preferring one thing to another for their reasons apparently infers blanket statement. I guess it's just easier to be an inarticulate shitposter.
>>
>>385513817
>I'm not >>385512903(You)
Yes, I know that you are not the same person, as you quoted MY post. I never suspected you to be me, actually.

>but I see now that you can't be reasoned with given that you project your own opinions on my posts.
No, am just not an idiot and it's very easy for me to actually fucking read you cretins.

Here is a fun example of the shit I'm dealing with here:
This post >>385512474
Makes a claim that HL1 and Stalker do not have complex A.I.
And as "proof" of that, it posts 2.5 hours of extremely technically heavy presentations and a long text full of advanced jargon - none of which has ANYTHING to do with the actual claim that it was supposed to support. Those presentations are actually quite interesting, but the fucking clear fucking point here was to just post technically heavy, long material hoping that I would be immediately intimidated by it and thus not figure out how INSANELY UNRELATED they actually are to the previous statement.

That is the kind of shit I'm dealing with. Anyone who knows basic about A.I. implementation and can sacrifice the 15+ minutes to look what the presentations are about will immediately tell how unrelated they are.
I don't know if it's you or some other retard that you "just" take side with, but whoever posted it either does not actually understand what those presentations are about, or he does AND LIES about what they are about hoping that he'll get away with it.

So who the fuck cannot be reasoned with here? Go fuck yourself you piles of shit if you can't argue and can't be at least fucking honest.
>>
File: Beito.jpg (43KB, 679x508px) Image search: [Google]
Beito.jpg
43KB, 679x508px
>>385514108
>>
>>385514045
Did I say I was arguing?

>>385514153
>Uncharted is better than Fear
>but I won't say why xDD
Pure retard speak. Redditors need to be put in their place.
>>
>>385503725
>this is the FEAR AI
>he will:
>use sound clips to make it sound like he's much, much more sophisticated that he actually is
>dupe people into thinking he's a good enemy AI
>have the devs later come out and admit they're smoke and mirrors bullshit
>>
File: 1476200608023.jpg (354KB, 567x790px) Image search: [Google]
1476200608023.jpg
354KB, 567x790px
>>385514328
>how dare you insult my aged like milk fps garbage
>BAIT
Everytime.
>>
>>385514332
>but I won't say why xDD
Oh nice, you're coming of the blanket statement argument. Moving to a different goalpost eh?
He did talk about why he thought it was it was better, he's talked about Uncharted AI and TLOU AI all over the thread. I'm done feeding your shitposting.
>>
Enemy AI while the player is in stealth mode / undetected is not representative of the AI's full potential. It is artificially restricted to pretend it does not know where the player is, and it only detects you based on some developer-defined set of rules designed to not to make the stealth too difficult for the player.

True enemy AI is the combat behavior you get when you are actively engaged in an all-out fight against them, where you know where they are and they know where you are
>>
>>385507259
>about the dissonance between their motivations and their behaviour.
Huh? There's no dissonance, they are puppet clones doing their master's bidding. It seems that they are independent enough to do some tactical stuff on their own, but their motivations and reasoning behind actions are pretty clear.
>>
>>385514528
FEAR AI may not be as great as people perceive it is, but it still can do plenty of stuff and much more complicated than in most shooters. It's always the extremes with faggots like you: one second you spew it's the best shit avaliable, the second you learn the truth it's the worst shit ever, when in reality it's neither.
>>
File: Brudal Ladder Baddle.webm (3MB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
Brudal Ladder Baddle.webm
3MB, 960x540px
>>385508001
even enemies in Bloodborne can do that
>>
File: 1493567613489.png (45KB, 778x512px) Image search: [Google]
1493567613489.png
45KB, 778x512px
>>385503725
>It's 2011
>>
>>385514659
>It is artificially restricted to pretend it does not know where the player is
That's how every AI operates. What makes good AI is the ability of it to challenge the player while holding even grounds, i.e. the usage of the same instruments player has access to.
>>
>>385514619
He (You) claimed Uncharted and TLoU have better gameplay design than Fear.
>>
File: 1450385796984.jpg (53KB, 622x562px) Image search: [Google]
1450385796984.jpg
53KB, 622x562px
>>385514560
I bet you think modern AAA FPS games are mastahpieces
>>
File: 1492762571247.gif (1MB, 242x242px) Image search: [Google]
1492762571247.gif
1MB, 242x242px
>>385515023
I bet you think video games are dead.
>cap: stop alma
>>
>>385513091
Yes but they weren't "human-like" in their execution.
>>
>>385503725
>Why have video games regressed?

You know the answer already. Games became too popular and mainstream. Now that's the target audience.

>People would just walk around. They didn’t know what to do. They didn’t even go upstairs because a guard told them they couldn’t. They’d say ‘Okay, I can’t go upstairs.’ They wouldn’t do anything,
>>
File: FEAR AI.webm (3MB, 768x432px) Image search: [Google]
FEAR AI.webm
3MB, 768x432px
FEAR has awesome AI. If the replica soldiers didn't constantly reveal themselves by loudly talking on their radios, they would be even better at ambushing the player than they already are.

I also think Uncharted 4 has amazing AI, but like this anon said >>385512987 it feels a bit gimped compared to FEAR, so FEAR is still the top dog in terms of challenging enemy AI.

I don't know how anyone can think TLOU would even be in the running here with the sheer number of AI glitches in that game, combined with how gimped they are. When they are looking for you with their guns drawn and you pop out from behind a corner (that they are actively searching) to hit them with a club, instead of just shooting you they get scared and jump back, allowing you to hit them. Stuff like that
>>
>>385507352
nigga you left out my favorite ai behavior
granted its not on the cops but
if you pull up to a red light next to a AI's sports car and rev your engine. when the light turns green the AI will gun it trying to race you

everybody can say whatever the fuck they want about gta but the polish on those games is fucking unreal
>>
>>385514985
Prove him wrong
>>
>>385512987
>ai is gimped because no slo-mo
>not because the control scheme is shitty for shootan
>especially not because the level design is shit

FEAR's AI is extremely reliant on controlled paths in tight urban quarters and specific environment markers to help it identify objects and valid positions versus the location of the player. Since the player can only has so many choices to navigate around the level, the level designer can be very specific about what the AI does when the player uses one of those paths. So the AI's strengths come from the level design more than anything else. The one unique thing it does is that if you shoot at them and destroy their cover, or hit them while they're in cover, they will move to new cover because that cover has now been flagged as unusable.

Now the areas in Uncharted and TLOU are more open and so the AI has to be more generic in its approach. It knows about chest-high walls and ambush points, certain terrain advantage points, and what side of an obstacle the player is on at any given moment if line of sight or audio alerts are detected, but that's about it. They aren't smart about moving from cover to cover, and happily stay in the same place even after you put a few bullets in them. They'll only move away if you toss a grenade, and usually too late. It's "action movie" AI, you're supposed to dispatch them wholesale in big open Indiana Jones style set pieces. It wouldn't be fun to fight precisely coordinated soldiers in that kind of environment, which ultimately points to level design as as the weakest link in those games AI. It just can't be any better because of that aspect.
>>
>>385504430
there's a thing called radio.
>>
>>385515664
He (You) needs to prove himself right first or shut the fuck up
>>
>>385503725
Grow up and get some self-awareness you pathetic loser.
>>
File: 1484525799180.gif (565KB, 367x265px) Image search: [Google]
1484525799180.gif
565KB, 367x265px
Fuck, F.E.A.R. really needs a remake.
Imagine if it had
>better physics
>better environmental destruction
>better graphics / lighting
>better animations
>euphoria ragdoll physics (RDR / GTA style)
>gore system
>even better ai
>>
>>385515930
The game literally has all those things and still looks great, no need for remake
>>
>>385515759
They don't use the radios in MGSV, though. The just shout and then every soldier in the area knows where you are from their psychic link.
The dumbest thing about MGSV AI is the way they automatically know your location if you do anything while they're on a combat alert. You can run away and be hidden in a building behind a hill and they'll still somehow sense your location if you fire a suppressed gun into the wall. Shit, they'll even sense your location if you set off C4, even if it's nowhere near you. It's pretty dumb.
>>
>>385515687
>They aren't smart about moving from cover to cover, and happily stay in the same place even after you put a few bullets in them. They'll only move away if you toss a grenade, and usually too late.

This is incorrect famalam.

http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1020338/The-Last-of-Us-Human

29:35

The AI forced combat roles, someone to approach, someone to try to hold attention, someone to flank and someone to take risky opportunities.
>>
>>385503725
Big companies eat up smaller ones and look to make maximum profit.
>>
>>385514725
And yet they talk like regular human beings instead of emotionless flesh-drones.
>>
>>385515249
ye
>>
File: left side flankers.webm (3MB, 768x432px) Image search: [Google]
left side flankers.webm
3MB, 768x432px
>>385515687
>the control scheme is shitty for shootan
The control scheme is as good as you can get on a controller. You aim for center of mass, just like in real life. That way you have the highest chance of hitting them and stunning them so they won't shoot you back.

>level design is shit
So if it's not all indoor corridors and lobbies then it's shit? Open maps with lots of verticality means shit level design? Yeah nah

>They aren't smart about moving from cover to cover
they are though. The ones you can see don't need to move because if they did they would be fully exposed and you would just shoot them. They try to suppress you and flush you out from their cover. The ones you can't see are always re-positioning to get a shot on you, or are actively flanking you.

The one who always has to be on the move is you, the player, because otherwise they will always just flush you out with nades and shoot the fuck out of you from multiple angles when you try to get away.

>and happily stay in the same place even after you put a few bullets in them
they get suppressed and take cover so you can't shoot them anymore, and hide while their buddies shoot you from the sides if you dare to keep aiming at their location. If they've got no one to help them they will wait for it, but they're not going to expose themselves while you're hitting them unless they can just hit you back.

In this webm the only thing that stops the AI from completely surrounding and buttfucking the player is the player's extremely quick movement and fast commitment to breaking out of the rapid encirclement
>>
>>385504194
>You'd think someone would try to improve on it though
AI is not something you just adapt and improve on like that. It's not that simple.

Enemy AI is not like graphics, where all these new technologies come out every year to make it fundamentally better for every games as time goes on. Each AI system has to be custom-made for each game, and with the games getting more and more complex all the time, the task of making good enemy AI only gets more and more difficult
>>
>>385504194
The thing is devs can't improve on AI because consoles run on smartphone tier CPU's.
>>
>>385508030
Actually, the soldiers in the game DO communicate.

They share information on your position.
You can test this by hiding during a firefight and revealing yourself to one while they try to advance on your previously known position.
The AI that sees you will tell his squad he found you.
if you kill the enemy before this radio sound plays, THEY WONT KNOW YOU MOVED.

Additionally, they share ammo and grenades with each other, and have animations and voice clips requesting additional ammunition from squad mates, and passing magazines to each other.
>>
>>385518476
I'm pretty sure like half of this has been explicitly denied by one of the guys who designed it
>>
>>385514943
why does Bloodborne / Souls get a pass on having such shitty AI? You can hit an enemy and they just totally forget about you if you leave the area for a second. You can even backstab them and run away and after following you for a moment they will go back to the same exact position again with their backs facing you, ready for you to do it again.
>>
>>385518476
>The AI that sees you will tell his squad he found you.
Not really. He plays a voice message announcing that he found you.
As for the A.I. ITSELF, it does what every other A.I. in every other game does, the global parameter of your location gets actualized for all enemies active in that encounter every time you enter their cone of vision for sufficiently long time. That is not actual communication, that is basic actualization. Doom does this too.
>>
>>385518367
Enemy AI behavior is really not very demanding on the CPU. It is mostly just simple scripting. It just takes a lot of skill and talent to make a good AI system that really works with your game to the point where players actually notice it, and 90% of devs don't have that kind of talent while 90% of players don't care enough about it anyway
>>
>>385503725
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_3LQhncl2c&t

FEAR ai is nothing special.
>>
>>385519027
the end result is something special though, and that's what counts. It *feels* like the AI is extremely advanced, even if it's not.
>>
>>385518938
>Enemy AI behavior is really not very demanding on the CPU. It is mostly just simple scripting

This is absolutely incorrect. Scripting might be easy to do but the things the AI needs to do to collect information and move are VERY CPU intensive. Raytracing to understand distances, pathfinding to not take stupid routes and evaluation of cover is actually, all that shit will eat up your allotment quick as fuck, and if you're working on a console, you will be met right away with reductions in framerates.
>>
>>385519157
The level design is good and that's what people should talk about.
>>
>>385519027
Level design is everything. Doom showed us this back then over 20 years ago, why people has forgotten this basic lesson?
>>
>>385518938
But it is.
Consoles hold back gaming these days. They can't even hit a steady 60fps.
And this is due to the CPU, because the GPU's are more than capable of running games at 60fps.
>>
File: al3.jpg (156KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
al3.jpg
156KB, 1920x1080px
>enemy ai sucks in recent ga-
>>
>>385519590
While I don't disagree with you fully, looking at steam stats proves that some games would be unplayable for a lot of people. AI is not like graphics where you can just dial it back to obtain framerates. 42% of steam users are on 2 core CPUs. 39% have exacly 8GB of ram with less than 24% above that.

While I'm a giant proponent of "master racing," I also understand the PCs have tons of background shit eating overhead in comparison to consoles.

Consoles might be a problem, but making a modern game with some fantastic AI that is not a space shooter will bring a non significant portion of PCs to their knees.
>>
>>385514108
I played F.E.A.R for the first time one year ago, and I loved it. Maybe you just have bad taste.
>>
>>385520095
>creature that has no intellect at all
>>
File: dense.png (89KB, 482x315px) Image search: [Google]
dense.png
89KB, 482x315px
>>385507274
Nobody's falling for it because it's no a truth you fucking retard, it's an implied fact that's what companies do.
What OP is stating is why the fuck did no one re use the AI scripts of fucking FEAR and took it from there to build a better type of fucking enemy for shooters
>>
>>385515759
Radio sucks, it's nothing but adverts.

Except Classic FM, that's where it's at.
>>
>>385520095
But that game cheats for the AI.
>>
>>385503725
mainstream audiences of shooter games dont care about single player
>>
>>385508030
Halo 1 Elites were some scary fucks.
>>
It's because for the most part, the only games that can succeed are the ones that have stellar production value. There are two types of games that are well received by critics.
>Indie games that have a narrow scope and shallow gameplay, but are highly polished because of their long dev time
>AAA shitfests that have a narrow scope and shallow gameplay, but are highly polished because that's where they threw the scraps of the budget after advertising
You can't make a game that focuses on good gameplay because if there's anything about the presentation or controls that's even slightly rough around the edges, then your game will be panned if isn't completely ignored.
>>
>>385520949
>You can't make a game that focuses on good gameplay because if there's anything about the presentation or controls that's even slightly rough around the edges, then your game will be panned if isn't completely ignored.

You can't film Citizen Kane on a jumpy mobile phone camera. No matter how good your story is, if the presentation is not up to snuff, not up to some standard nobody will bother.

Good gameplay and controls rough around the edges do not go hand in hand. If your control is not 100% then your game no matter how much you focused on other points is not good.
>>
I can't count the amount of times I've played through FEAR and it's DLCs. Such a good fucking game.

I think FEAR2 is also a good game, I used to hate it, but replaying it a few times over, it's not so bad. It isn't as good as 1 or the DLCs, but it has some good levels, fun weapons, good atmosphere and scares, mostly fun enemies, etc.

I've never played FEAR3. Is it even worth it at all?
>>
>>385515930
The game have everything you posted anon, in fact you can buy it at dirt cheap on steam right now and pretend is a remake.
>>
>>385519210
>>385519590
Then how come the games known to have some of the best enemy AI of all time, like Halo 1 and FEAR, are all old and were designed to run on old CPUs that were many many times weaker than the processors we use today?
>>
>>385518580
>why does Bloodborne / Souls get a pass on having such shitty AI?
It doesn't and it's probably the single most common bout of criticism it recieves.
>>
>>385521910
Halo's AI is NOT impressive. Fear can be impressive but that comes down to solid fucking level design for the AI to properly use. You plop the fear AI into the sets of modern game and it would be piss-poor. Modern AI would still work decently on fear maps. Making thight office spaces that make no sense but can be used properly for the AI is a lot easier than trying to build something in the much larger spaces games today use.
>>
>>385520462
>But that game cheats for the AI.
What the fuck does that even mean? The AI can't "cheat". It already knows where you are and what you're doing at all times. It just pretends it doesn't to abide by the rules of the game at large
>>
File: 1497691646491.jpg (20KB, 343x355px) Image search: [Google]
1497691646491.jpg
20KB, 343x355px
fuck, i really need to finally play FEAR
but i'm just so afraid of "scary" games
>>
>>385522938
The game always puts it in range of where you are, and if it leaves the game drops it right back instantly. I've seen the alien crawl into vault infront of me and appear on my scanner right behind where I was.
>>
>>385504430

MGS AI peaked at MGS2

MGS3 also had some fun details they added for guards on top of MGS2's AI
>>
>>385503725

This image is such a meme. None of this is special.
>>
>>385504336
Are you targeting a specific anon by mentioning Legend of Dragoon? I've seen someone do this exact thing a dozen times in the last 2 weeks.
>>
>>385522980
at most you will get jump scaresnigga, the moment you stop shooting at clones is the moment you noticed spoopy stuff will begin.
>>
>>385518580

Dark Souls 1 - 3 are actually a lot of fun if you use Cheat Engine to turn off the enemies forgetting about you feature. Even more fun if you use Cheat Engine to make every enemy aggro'd on you all the time, or at least quintuple their aggro distance.
>>
>>385512474
>http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1024467/Authored-vs-Systemic-Finding-a

This is legit very impressive. There is so much more to it than I thought. And I read the doc about FEAR's AI too
>>
>>385522980
it's really not scary at all
>>
>>385503725
Because nobody gives a shit about campaign in fps anymore. When Halo, which put together one of the best campaigns in shooter history, was usurped by cod, which barely had one at all, people realized the future of gaming is MP. Thus, you see a lot of games shove their campaign into MP (titanfall 1) or nix it all together (pubg/overwatch) or put 0 effort in it (battlefield)
>>
I love FEAR and all but it's level design, enemy variety, music and story was just bland as shit. It's carried on the merit of its Replica soldier AI and gunplay but even then there's only a limited amount of guns and the particle cannon is B R O K E N
>>
>>385503725
>The following seems trivial I've yet to seem them implemented outside this game

>Climb ladders in the environment outside of a scripted event
There are so many games which do this is ridiculous. Just today I saw it happen multiple times in Far Cry 3.

>React to your flashlight
That's more of a challenge but it wouldn't surprise me if any MGS did this.
>>
I've heard a rumor that the STALKER AI, when set to the master difficulty, are smart enough to actually complete the game themselves. Is this true?
>>
>>385524690
cosnider the image is from 2011
>>
>>385520728
This marks a good point. Halo 1 elites are the least complex AI of that class in the series, and yet they are the most engaging and challenging. Why? because they take actions that make sense. They strafe while shooting. If you try to run at them, they back up while shooting. They'll pursue you if you're weak and they're close enough to do something about it.

Halo 2 and beyond, they have more actions they can take, but they're slower, less mobile in general, and don't react as wisely to what YOU are doing.
>>
>>385525330

How would they activate quests? That makes no sense.
>>
>>385503725
AI in nu-Doom was pretty gud, at least on highest difficulty level.
>>
>>385522738
>Halo's AI is NOT impressive.
it was in Halo 1.
Maybe it wasn't super complex but the result was very impressive
>>
>>385508030
Half life 1 A.I. is autoaim hack enabled and one of the dumbest examples you could have given, everytime i replay it, seeing how lazy the soldier A.I. is makes me instantly want to quit.
>>
>>385527082
Do you even know that Black Mesa is a fan remake of Half-life 1, and that there is actually an original Half-life 1 game developed by Valve?
>>
>>385504784
it's not. They'd be totally clueless in an oldscool-style, open maps. The tiny combat arenas let players cut the number of enemies, AND complexity of their AI, just by placing tons of invisible triggers for them to react to (jump on a ledge, leap to cover...), all while running a simple auto-homing behavior in the background.
>>
>>385526125
It was never impressive. It wasn't even the first game to use a cover system. What it did first to my recollection was give the opposing entities a way to create their own cover.
>>
File: i-vkgqG9d[1].jpg (884KB, 1948x1014px) Image search: [Google]
i-vkgqG9d[1].jpg
884KB, 1948x1014px
>>385523959
>>385522980
>>
>>385527357
>It was never impressive.
Says you and you alone. Elites with full shields would literally jump in front of elites who you'd depleted the shields of to bodyblock you from headshotting them. If you threw a sticky grenade on one and it was close it would charge at you to try and take you with it.

Also read what >>385525767 said about them
>>
>>385524001

I'm neutral at best towards Halo but CoD:MW had a really impressive campaign and tight multiplayer. Its popularity didn't come out of nowhere - MW2 was some of the best fun I had playing, despite p2p hosting and the death of community servers. It wasn't until MW3 when I realised how stale the game has become in both aspects.

Still, I have to give it to 3arch - BO had probably the best written campaign of all.
>>
>>385524001
The fact that there are people nowdays, who actually fucking say this shit unironically, kinda terrifies me.
I mean: I knew this is inevitable, that one day this will come and that the Halo kids will eventually grow up like this, but still... damn. Fuck me this is sad to read.
>>
>>385527337
>being a butthurt pcbro
Half-Life was a novel spectacle for its time, but like all games that put their money on aesthetics instead of depth and mechanics will always become obsolete when the novelty wears off.
>>
>>385517145
That's a prime example of sacrificing gameplay pace and responsiveness in favor of good animations. Absolutely disgraceful.
>>
>>385521910
Optimization is a lost art
The more resources we have, the more resources we can waste, ending in bloated messes. Also known as the microsoft philosophy.
Don't expect any miracle in modern times like what pokemon yellow did at its time
>>
>>385529318
Are you the same kid that is claiming that Halo had some of best singleplayer campaign of all time? I'd bet quite a lot of money that you are the same kid.

If not, then you are an idiot anyway. You never played Half-life 1, actually.
>>
>>385503725

It is nostalgia tho. Most of that shit is just the ai talking to itself. Do you honestly think it actually does those things? Really?

If it does give me an example, webm, video or whatever.

Fucking hate nostalgia. Mostly because I don't have it for almost anything myself and it makes no damn sense to me.
>>
File: head banger.webm (3MB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
head banger.webm
3MB, 800x450px
>>385529474
...how?
have you ever even played it? it's extremely responsive. To the point where people complain that the animations don't look realistic enough because the game hugely favors player control over realism
>>
File: doom boss.jpg (316KB, 1000x952px) Image search: [Google]
doom boss.jpg
316KB, 1000x952px
>>385529795
No, I am the guy who goes around telling the awkward fact that what Half-Life did to fps gaming was quite similar to what Cawadoodie did a decade later. You are a fanboy to casualized garbage, ese.
>>
>>385530176
This post is a redundancy. We already established that you are an idiot. Do you have anything new to share with us?
>>
>>385530101
It looks really floaty and the character is constantly slowed down and nudged by the environment. It basically boils down to the same question as in why is wall-snap such a terrible thing to have in your cover based shooter.

Also, the enemies don't really seem to be keeping up with the player.
>>
File: romero head.png (7KB, 228x348px) Image search: [Google]
romero head.png
7KB, 228x348px
>>385530310
>this post is redundancy
>we have already established
I really hope for your environment that you are merely jesting and genuinely not this autistic. Though this is what I've come to expect from the average Half-Life fan. Oh well.
>>
>>385530373
the player is nudging the environment on purpose as a means to make the enemy miss their shots at him. If he just ran in a straight line through that field, he would get shot in the back. I'm sorry you think it looks floaty, but the last thing it is is "not responsive"

>why is wall-snap such a terrible thing to have in your cover based shooter.
I don't know, you tell me.
It seems like a perfectly serviceable mechanic to me. Without it you could not blind-fire or do cover-transition moves
>>
Great thread OP and I agree with your point though I never played FEAR. That's why some hunter encounters in TLoU are memorable, their behavior is quite different from infected you meet before your first hunter pack. It's easy to meme about occasional glitches but they talk to each other, wait for you around the corner, run away and gain confidence when they hear your empty gun click.

Devs are focusing on 4k meme and whatever the fuck when the graphics are already there. What would be in my opinion better than graphics are animations of both you and your enemies and items in the world, because when that's cutting edge it makes so much difference when you actually play the game. But animations can't be seen on a screenshot so they get a little less priority over other visual effects.

Is it really that hard to implement an interesting AI. Uncharted 4 had at least soldier AI each with unique information so they again had to work together and communicate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7WPNriIL2I
(Starts at 7:40)
>>
>>385530869
TLOU's human AI is weird, in combat scenarios it's decent but during stealth they're dumb as shit. I beat the game once on normal, then started grounded and the way human AI worked while you were hidden didn't change at all. Meanwhile infected get better hearing and sight lines, I don't get why people wouldn't also get that
>>
>>385531919
On harder and higher they react to you moving in game objects too fast (like tripping a bottle over). Grounded is basically a puzzle game because if enemies spot you it's over. Unless you're a speedrunner.

I love what they did in DLC in that you can wake up clickers and attract them to a group of humans. I hope for much more interesting AI in the sequel as they already made a nice progress in U4.
>>
>>385530869
>>385531919
>>385533490
Honestly what Naughty Dog does on limited hardware is nothing short of miraculous. /v/ likes to meme on them because they're SJW and like telling stories, but the fucking gameplay and AI are top notch if you're into third person shooters.
>>
File: 1434209527123.jpg (242KB, 540x610px) Image search: [Google]
1434209527123.jpg
242KB, 540x610px
>>385523364
MGS3 continues to be the best of all worlds.
>>
>>385530176
based retard
>>
>>385533749
>>385533749
The only game that did TPS right is Max Payne 3.
>>
>>385504463
>Why will the emoji movie be profitable even though everyone knew from the start it would be shit?
It's actually not making money though, I think they might have hit the rock bottom limit of your average popcorn retard's tolerance for trash, for ONCE.
Thread posts: 225
Thread images: 27

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.