[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I have a theory about why video games are so addictive. The

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

File: 1475998260952.jpg (560KB, 1000x1502px) Image search: [Google]
1475998260952.jpg
560KB, 1000x1502px
I have a theory about why video games are so addictive.

The world is a very brutal place where injustices occur every single day and we are completely powerless against it. Video games allows us to escape this world temporarily and transport ourselves to another world where we have enough power to make a change. The sense of accomplishment becomes gradually weaker, and this forces us to play gradually more and more in order to feel the same dose of accomplishment. The more we stay away from that ideal world, the more we are reminded of our real world, and this gap becomes more painful the more we stay in that ideal world.
>>
>>385503656

Most addictive games are glorified slot machines. Explore the slot machine issue you explore this one
>>
>>385503656
That doesnt even apply to most of the games, you dont really change the world in tetris, yet its very addicting.

Video games are entertaining and dont require you to go outside, you dont have to do anything to feel rewarded, so naturally people get addicted to it.
>>
>>385504569
>tetris is addicting
well someone has autism
>>
>play video game you like
>guaranteed to have fun

that doesn't work in real life.its that simple
>>
>>385504569
>>385505087

Stop using the word "addicting", you 80IQ degenerate Americunts. For 99.9% of situations the correct word is "addictive". To use addicting you have to have something afterwards like "this game is addicting me", and it still sounds retarded when you do that.
>>
Addiction is not a bad thing.
>>
>>385505249
>you can't quote people on 4chan
calm your titties tyrone
>>
>>385505345
Unless when it is
>>
>escapism
Holy shit, stop the presses, this guy's onto something!
>>
Games are addictive because they freely dole out the sense of accomplishment normally achieved by accomplishing something. The invent a purpose and make you feel important by giving you tasks that are easily achieved. The less you are concious of this, the more easily you get addicted to it. Unless you are 100% aware of it and seek that feeling specifically. Which is kinda why alotta people here think artificial difficulty is fun.

And honestly, it kinda is. It's like a meta puzzle you have to solve to feel accomplishment since then small shit just doesn't sweat it anymore.
>>
>>385503656
>and we are completely powerless against it.
Eh, I feel like that's only because most people don't care or are not willing to put other's wellbeing above their own.

>>385505345
It pretty much always is, I've yet to see an addiction that is beneficial to a person and those around him
>>
>powerless
Lmao I'm out on the streets gunning down thugs most nights
>>
>>385503656
>guys I just heard about the terms escapism look at how smart i am
>>
>>385505249
they're probably chinese. chinese people always talk like this. and they say stuff like "how is it like?" instead of "how is it?" or "what's it like?"

talking like a fob is super addicting at them
>>
>>385503656
Its called escepism anon
>>
>>385503656
yeah escapism is a very well known mental process
>>
Nice brainlet opinion.

The real reason that video games are addictive is because they allow men to simulate struggle in a decadent society bereft of powers and circumstances to effectively struggle against.
>>
That's exactly why I play video games. You feel instant gratification, and that your actions actually accomplish desired results. In the real world, 99% of the time the things I want don't come true no matter how hard I work for them.
>>
File: Factorio5.jpg (571KB, 1600x740px) Image search: [Google]
Factorio5.jpg
571KB, 1600x740px
God this thread is not very smart...

So first of all, as many people have already pointed out, escapism is a thing, sure. Not exactly the hot news.

Second of all: games also appeal on multiple other levels.
A) they appeal to our innate problem-solving and exploration instincts. Our brains are literally hardwired to solve problems, and to feel good when they succeed. From small fine-motoric tasks to complex purely logical challenges: our brains like to solve problems of every kind because that gives us an evolutionary advantage. Solving problem makes our brain reward us, which is pleasant, and that is why we feel compelled to do more of it, even if it's almost entirely meaningless.
B) they appeal to our instinct to listen to stories. Games are fiction, and a narrative medium (not all take advantage of it in the same way) and since again: this has been evolutionary advantageous to us, inhabiting stories is something our brains are also adapted to and reward us for it. In this sense, games are no different from books or movies, which can also get us hooked.
C) simple rewards systems. Skinner box: we like to be rewarded. Games give us that sense of reward.

Actually, the most addictive games are NOT really the escapist ones. WoW is not addictive for it's amazing, immersive, much more idylic world: it's addictive because of it's presentation of endless chains of small problems for us to solve, and it's chains of skinner-box based rewards.
Equally, one of the most additive games I've ever seen is pic related: and this is game about endless chains of small logical and logicstic puzzles, it has almost no fiction value.
Then you have the clickers. Games with basic, simple, repetetive gameplay loops being by far the most dangerous socially for their addictive, hazard-like nature.

So yeah, some people seek escapism. But majority of gaming addictivity is in much different systems, mostly exploiting basic neurological circuitry.
>>
also masturbation
>>
>>385503656
Naah. The i just don't have anything beter to do besides masturbating.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.