[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Got it today for the ps3 for 4 bucks, i have heard good things

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 89
Thread images: 13

File: download (1).jpg (10KB, 300x168px) Image search: [Google]
download (1).jpg
10KB, 300x168px
Got it today for the ps3 for 4 bucks, i have heard good things about it but i wanna know your opinion. I started playing as an archer recently and im having fun.
Oblivion thread i guess
>>
File: Untitled.png (764KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
764KB, 800x600px
great game, but it's fucking busted without patches
>>
If you don't level your character perfectly the game will become impossible. Once you reach level 20 all of the end game gear is worn by every bandit in the game. You can literally make a mountain of glass and daedric armor.
>>
Never sleep, so you never gain levels.
>>
make sure to get shivering isles
>>
>>385474165
iirc correctly, bethesda games are bad on ps3
>>
>>385474165
>Got it today for the ps3 for 4 bucks
That's where you fucked up, never get a beth game on anything but PC, you NEED mods to actually play the game properly
>>
>>385474267
>>385474489
>>385474521
What do you guys mean? How can leveling up be a bad thing?
>>385474831
I got the edition with all the dlc.
>>385474881
>>385474889
I know but i wanted to play jhow it was meant to be played. If i like i might get it for pc and play it again with mods
>>
>>385475116
When you level up, you choose a stat boost (ie: +strength or intelligence or whatever).

The size of the stat boost is dependent on how much you raised a skill governed by that stat for that particular level (so if you level lots of endurance skills for that level up, you can get a +5 boost. If you didn't level endurance skills at all, you can only pick +1.)

What this means is that leveling becomes a horribly tedious and irritating process of meticulously planning ahead which skills you'll raise each level to ensure you get decent stat boosts. If you don't do this by around the 20s you'll be severely below-strength when all the enemies suddenly level up enough to start hitting mega hard.

Every goddamn level practically requires a spreadsheet where you decide whether you're going to use weapons or a particular spell type or run around naked because you don't want to raise an armour skill.

And goddamn, whatever you do. Don't make athletics a primary skill.
>>
>>385475116
it's not just mods my man, but the unofficial patch is needed, it literally fixes more than beth has fixed in the game since launch.

and leveling up is bad because the world scales to your level, at level 1 a bandit will be in fur armor and iron weapons, at level 20 they will be in glass/deadric with deadric weapons
>>
So, leveling in Oblivion

Every time you gain a level, every enemy in the game also gains a level. But they level perfectly ever time. When you level perfectly, you put the max points in the max skills to get the max boost. I don't remember what the numbers or thresholds are. But to do this you have to level a, b, c ,d and e skills 10 times before you level up. Sounds complicated right? Well it is. Its really stupid. So most levels you want go through all the effort of grinding minor skills, and just level up whenever. You may only get 2 skills points to distribute. Well that rat gets 10. This won't make a difference for a while. But eventually the enemy stats are several times greater than yours. Each time you level they get even stronger and the gap between you and them gets wider.

The game also uses level based lists for populating dungeons and areas. A cave that has a few rats and a skeleton at level 2 is filled with a bunch of Storm Atronachs and Liches. They are also jacked all to hell and laugh at you.
>>
>>385475561
>>385475574
>>385475676
What the fuck. So i dont level up at all? I cant get the cool armors? Fuck
>>
File: 1495455643387.jpg (171KB, 1024x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1495455643387.jpg
171KB, 1024x1200px
>>385475931
Or just play on very easy and enjoy the game like I did.
>>
>>385475931

Just don't go past level 15, somewhere around there.

You can enchant 5 pieces of armor with chameleon spells. Enemies won't be able to attack you.
>>
>Morrowind
Leveling is the same as it would be in Oblivion. However the static nature of the world and its encounters (besides the enemies you meet outside daedra shrines) meant that you were generally leveling up to rise to a certain challenge. You learned about which places were exceedingly dangerous and either focused your leveling more intelligently to close the gap fast or make a tactical withdrawal to return later. The world is bigger than you.

>Oblivion
Same system as morrowind except the all-encompassing world leveling system broke it. There's no excitement to discovery, you know exactly what you'll run into based on your own level. Everything is intended to be catered to you but the awkward means of stat leveling just renders it a chore.

>Skyrim
Streamlined it in an attempt to remove the tedium from oblivion, but now with the combination of all skills being major skills and all dungeons being annoyingly long and drawn out means your level skyrockets uncontrollably and you'll be level 30 by the time you complete like 4 quests because you just can't stop leveling every 5 minutes, making it feel like you're flying past half the game.
>>
>>385476125
I might do that, all this leveling shit seems like a chore
>>
>>385476616
you could also get a mod that fixes it, I haven't touched Oblivion is quite a while but I am 100% sure that there's a mod that fixes it
>>
>>385476705
I am playing the ps3 version sadly and my pc is not available right now
>>
The game is broken, but you have a lot of fun times ahead you OP. While the main quest is retarded and anti fun, Shivering Isles is very fun and very colorful.
>>
If you got the GOTY version, don't become a Vampire unless you really want too because the Vampire cure on the PS3 GoTY version of the quest is broke. Aside from that, enjoy I have a soft spot for oblivion my self, though I'm glad I eventually got it on PC like I did with Morrowind.
>>
>>385475931
You can get a full set of permanent bound items with the repair bug.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFCAOs1PhNE
But yeah level scaling in vanilla Oblivion is fucked.
>>
>>385474165
A civil oblivion thread. Incredible. I'm actually at a loss for words.
>>
>>385474881
you remember wrong, bethesda games are bad everywhere
>>
>>385474165

>ps3

I'm sorry, anon. avoid all bethesda products on ps3 as they suffer from bad performance issues which peak at near unplayability once you get 20 hours into your file
>>
>>385477024
Seems that way. What is the shivering isles about? I think i am gonna play right now, im talking that guy that opens the door for the path of madness or wathever. Can i play it at level 1?
>>385477208
Thanks for the info. I dont really like vampires too so thats fine.
>>385477413
Thanks for the tip anon
>>385477451
Are oblivion threads that bad? Never been in one but i imagine its just people saying the game is shit because of the leveling
>>385477553
It was pretty cheap and i played fallout 3 and skyrim on the 3 and did not come across many problems but the games are much better on pc yeah
>>
it's overrated garbage. The last good Bethesda game was Morrowind. Oblivion was my first Elder Scrolls game and I had heard so much good about Morrowind and how they were so good at creating these engaging lush worlds but it was fucking empty and boring, enemies very sparse, combat dull and boring, the same repetitive reused dungeons for everything. the only fun thing about Oblivion was exploring the open world, but that loses its charm pretty quick when you realize there's really nothing there. The main story quest is a fucking joke. They blew their budget on big name voice actors and didn't even use them well. Boring, flat characters. It's all fucking trash.
>>
>>385479167
>but i imagine its just people saying the game is shit because of the leveling
And mostly terrible quests with a few real gems
The removal of quite a lot of spells from morrowind such as levitate
There are a lot of reasons people dislike Oblivion, it's still a pretty fun game, but there's a lot that could have been better
>>
>>385479425
Forgot to add that I found Morrowind to be an incredibly engaging game, but Oblivion was a HUGE let down.
>>
>>385477553
Actually PS3 oblivion is the only Bethesda product on PS3 that works well, (back when I had a shitty PC and was a little underage shit so I got it on what I had at the time) doesn't have the massive frame drops and save bloat, I think that's mostly because it was ported by another company.
>>
File: 1481719311867.jpg (433KB, 1024x1908px) Image search: [Google]
1481719311867.jpg
433KB, 1024x1908px
Here's a fun quiz for everyone. Of all the basic armour types present in the 3 'modern' TES games, which incarnation do you prefer for each?

Iron
Leather
Steel
Dwemer
Orcish
Glass
Ebony
Daedra
Town guards
Imperial uniform

Just put an M, O or S next to each tier.
>>
Why does Todd keep trying to sell me the same game over and over again?
>>
>>385474165
It's the best game ever made of you can ignore the outdated mechanics, awful voice acting and bugs
>>
>>385479425
>>385479501
Should i play morrowind instead? Im kinda liking the game up to now
>>385479442
Should i ignore side quests and look up wich ones are worth it?
>>385479554
Thats good to hear.
>>
>>385479706
Thats really good! I dont really mind the voice acting at all, altough the combat is a bit boring.
>>
>>385479723
You should do quests as you find them, most of them are meh, some of them are bad and few of them are good.
Dark brotherhood is pretty gud but mages guild is just boring
>>
>>385479879
Oh ok thanks for the advice. Will do anon.
>>
>>385474165
Most people talking about the difficulty and leveling are idiots who didn't tinker with the options and just immediately went to Nexus

Biggest problem with this game is the console UI What the FUCK were they thinking with that map? and some issues with LOD and objects in the distance looking really shitty, both easily fixed with mods if it bothers you
>>
>>385477208
This is true, however I was able to fix it using a copy of the non-GOTY version to complete the cure quest.
>>
>>385479641
Iron - M (I hate iron in the other games. At least in morrowind it had nice pauldrons)
Leather - M (nothing beats boiled netch)
Steel - Oblivion (It was the promotional shot of the character on horseback wearing steel armor that sold me on it initially)
Dwemer - S (It'd be morrowind but I hate the buttplate)
Orcish - M (can't beat that samurai orc look)
Glass - M (I know a lot of people hate it but I love it with the ornate armour contrasting with the crude chunks of studded glass)
Ebony - S (No need to comment)
Daedra - S (I kinda like how over the top it is)
Town guards - M (Bonemold is my fave of the whole series)
Imperial uniform - S (I adore the lorica plate. Just gotta mod it to not be shit)
>>
File: 1498854127018.jpg (135KB, 540x540px) Image search: [Google]
1498854127018.jpg
135KB, 540x540px
>>385479641
>Iron
Morrowind
>Leather
Morrowind? Netch Leather?
>Steel
Morrowind
>Dwemer
Oblivion
>Orcish
Skyrim
>Glass
Morrowind with Skyrim as a very, very close second
>Ebony
Skyrim
>Daedra
Morrowind with Oblivion as a close second
>Town Guards
We're watching you, scum
>Imperial Uniform
Skyrim with Morrowind as a close second
>>
>>385479641
Iron - M
Leather - S
Steel - O
Dwemer - S
Orcish - M
Glass - O, looks more ceremonial which makes sense for GLASS armor
Ebony - S
Daedra - O
Town Guards - O
Imperial Uniforms - M
>>
Which fundamental game mechanics do you feel need serious attention for the next TES game to work?

For me it's verticality. Skyrim would have been far more agreeable to me if the grand, sprawling snowy mountain ranges weren't essentially giant walls. This crosses over into the player's movement and physics needing an overhaul because it still feels like your character just sort of 'floats' in the world.

Even if you can hop awkwardly from stone to stone up a mountain side it's generally pointless anyway as if there was anything important there'd have been stairs or some sort of dungeon leading to a 'mountaintop' zone. Anything off the beaten path is a joke and almost all content can easily be found close to the main roads anyway. The mountain sides are just so barren of content.
>>
>>385474165
>buying Oblivion on a console, especially ps3

wew lad you fucked up big time. have fun with a broken, buggy mess.
>>
>>385480913
I'm pretty sure glass armor is some sort of magic elf stuff that's more durable than your average window.
>>
>>385481117
>I want Levitate back the post
>>
>>385481361
it's not actually glass it's volcano crystal shit
>>
Thankfully oblivion XP fixes all the problems with levelling in this game
What the fuck were they thinking with the base game
>>
>>385474489
>If you don't level your character perfectly the game will become impossible.

my build was far from perfect back in 2006 and the game was too fucking easy.
>>
File: 1486063722684.jpg (26KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
1486063722684.jpg
26KB, 480x480px
>>385481361
this, i don't even think it's "glass" as much as it is just some sort of mildly translucent volcanic rock, all i know is if i saw a dude wearing the glass armor from morrowind i would NOT fuck with him at all, the fucking oblivion glass armor just looks goofy, especially with those helmet flaps that make you look like goofy the dog
>>
>>385481419
Not really, if anything levitate avoids the issue and dodges around it rather than addressing it. I mean one of my main points was being critical of how floaty the game feels.
>>
>>385482061
but adding levitate back into the game forces beth to think and design vertically.

But what we will get is the new REVOLUTIONIZING ABILITY TO CLIMB MOUNTAINS!
I'm serious about this tho' would also be a good addition to TES, a zelda-esque climbing mechanic would be pretty darn cool, sitting in a tree sniping niggas would be dope
>>
>>385482536
Exactly, verticality means not just mountains but... well fucking everything. Walls, foliage, rocks.

These will stop being just 'lumps' in the game world to obstruct you and start being part of the game experience itself. This is why I laugh at people who think a Black Marsh game would work.

All you'd get is a game where 90% of it is the same as the swamp areas in oblivion and skyrim, ie: flat stretches of land dotted with little pools and a handful of trees with absolutely nothing interesting to do.
>>
>>385481350
It worked completely fine for me back when I had it. Poured hours into it, too.
>>
>>385482785
This is something I felt MW did pretty well, even the plains had hills, rocks and shit littered around
>>
>>385482785
if they can pull of flora and fauna right, black marsh would actually work very well imo

>vibrant plant life, varying levels of "overgrowth' in areas; mangroves, swamps, full on lakes and muck ponds, jungles
>hunting systems, food chain system, animals actually eat eachother and live their own little lifespans and do shit other than sit around waiting for you to walk by
>actual dangers in the environment - bramble bushes, disease, aquatic predators that could grab hold of you and drag you under, carnivorous mega-plants, venomous creatures
>BRING BACK SPEARS TODD HOWARD YOU FUCKING HACK
>instead of horses you can have basic canoes or rafts
>heavy armor and shit can actually cause you to drown, have to move light, know the terrain, or always be ready to build a make-shift vessel or withstand the perils of going around certain bodies of water
>essentially anarchy anywhere outside of cities, can intimidate the people you meet into giving you shit, can accrue a reputation for yourself so people will avoid you/attack you/give tribute when they see you
>giant skycraper minecraft-esque jungle terrain, verticality can come into play here
>all this shit and then some for watery areas, think heavy voodoo vibes, reverse-verticality with underwater caverns and aquatic argonian camps
>>
>>385483531
Let's be honest here, that will never happen.
>>
File: 1495594185200.jpg (60KB, 1014x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1495594185200.jpg
60KB, 1014x1024px
>>385484293
exactly, and neither will a fun BOTW styled climbing aspect to TES or the removal of the floatiness that plagued skyrim, but we can dream
>>
>>385484442
Climbing could happen, it's gotten into more games now, Conan Exiles have a climbing mechanic despite being early access trash.

But what I really want is a new fucking engine, been the same gamebryo shit since oblivion with some graphical changes.
Best way to prove it is that the exploits in oblivion also mostly work in skyrim/FO4, such as savewarping and shit
>>
File: no taste.jpg (66KB, 800x449px) Image search: [Google]
no taste.jpg
66KB, 800x449px
>>385480913
>somebody actually likes Oblivion's glass armor
>>
File: 1498664069916.jpg (229KB, 627x720px) Image search: [Google]
1498664069916.jpg
229KB, 627x720px
>>385483531
>Getting chased by a giant crocodilian monster as you drudge through knee high mud as spooky, ominous congo drums and chanting blare in the background
>Narrowly escaping it by climbing up a loose vine Dark Messiah style, a light screen shake indicating the snapping of its jaws and lunging movement of its rotund, scaley body just barely missed your dangling legs
>Hearing the low hiss and the shifting ripples in the murky water as you watch from atop the tree

It doesn't even have to be a TES game, just give me some primeval shit like this.
>>
>>385482785
>>385483531
Black Marsh will never happen because bethesda

>don't care for beast races
>don't want to go to a province where the geography is over-catered to one race (because we can't have race actually changing the game besides the odd quip from a guard now can we? gotta play it as safe as possible)
>Their laziness regarding argonian's and their lore has allowed them to dodge development by using them as a dumping ground for all kinds of retcons, like argonian physical design and the nature of the hist.
>>
>>385485263
>Hear more hissing coming
>Giant ass snake lunges at you from the tree

That would be dope as fuck
>>
What the next TES game needs is a toggle feature for interacting with 'junk' items like bowls and calipers and whatnot.

Taking a loaf of bread off a laid table shouldn't feel like a game of Operation.
>>
File: 4L_hT3HRZxO.jpg (111KB, 810x810px) Image search: [Google]
4L_hT3HRZxO.jpg
111KB, 810x810px
OP, I don't know if you're still here, but why do you need advice on how to play your game?
Oblivion was a pretty cool open world game and although it's dated as fuck at this point you'll probably still have fun anyway.
Ignore everyone telling you retarded metagame on levelling, just play on easy or medium and DON'T contract vampirism because i'm pretty sure the PS3s questline to get it fixed is fucking bugged and unfinishable. Other than that do whatever the fuck you want, it's a massive world.
Also protip, shivering isles expansion is dank
>>
File: 4L_zLFIJop1.jpg (199KB, 1592x1280px) Image search: [Google]
4L_zLFIJop1.jpg
199KB, 1592x1280px
>>385487393
>not using a mouse
>>
>>385488171
Anything you said have already been said.
Shivering isle:
>>385474831
Vampire bug:
>>385477208
Play on easy:
>>385476125

so it doesn't matter if OP is still here
>>
>>385488296
I do use a mouse, I just want to be able to mouse over a shelf and easily pick up gold coins without every toothpick and caliper offering itself to be picked up. Just a button to turn on and off junk interaction. That's all.
>>
>>385475561

Oblivion is fucking garbage and the only reason people like it is that they first played it around the time they probably discovered masturbation.
>>
>>385488616
Actually you're right about the fucking gold. Makes it not even worth picking up when you have to drop a bowl after every 7 measly pieces you take off a table
>>
>>385488171
>>385488532
I am and thanks for your advice even if it was already stated its greatly aprecciated. Have a great day anon
>>
>>385474165
>PS3
>2017
Get a 360, a PC, an Xbone or a PS4 or something. Get rid of that garbage.
>>
>>385475116
>>385475931
>>385476616
>>385476824
I never play melee/sword and board in elder scrolls so I wouldn't know much but If you're going to be a mage it literary doesn't matter just keep raising magic skills+Alchemy and pumping that intelligence. Do the mage guild questline as fast as possible and start creating spells at the academy, that's where the real fun starts. Its going to be hard early on but you will be breaking the whole thing late game.

Illusion and destruction are especially ridiculous in this game.
Chameleon=100% invisibility. You can also control literally everything except probably dagon himself with illusion, the level 25 cap doesn't matter as long as you cast it with 100% effectiveness. At early levels just learn that spell that makes others go berserk and you're fine.

With Destruction just spell stack weakness 100% to magic and keep raping everything that moves.

Conjuration is broken as well but pretty boring though you can buff you creatures and heal them which can become amusing if thats your thing.

Don't listen to these fuckers and level level and level, the game becomes incredibly easy without new creatures appearing unless you level. You want those pesky Xivilai for at least some challenge.

Oh and don't touch the main quest, just don't, save it for the last. Unless you want the portals appearing everywhere and ruining a good scenery.
>>
>>385489040
I have a ps2 a ps3 and a ps4. I quite like the ps3, i have good memories with it. Im just playing oblivion because i wanna play the classics and it was cheap for the ps3.
>>
>>385489106
Im playing an archer in this playtrough but i might just go for magic, thanks for the tip anon
>>
>>385489435
Don't drop archery. Since in this game casting spells doesn't require you to equip them you want something when you magica runs out or as a support. Staffs aren't really good except for that unique paralyzing one you get to make at the university.
Make sure you enchant your bows when you're able to at the academy. The illusion effects like having them run away in fear and other control effects are the best. Though the damage ones aren't bad as well at normal difficulty.

However for damage you want to level up alchemy and make poisons then coat your arrow/bow with them. They are one of THE most broken things in late game as well and scale incredibly well.
>>
>>385489240

You can get Oblivion for that much on PC and have all the mods that make it somewhat playable.

Elder Scrolls games on consoles are garbage.
>>
Bethesda needs to steal the nemesis system
>>
>>385490425
I cant use my pc right now and i have been wanting to play this game for a while now, but yeah you are right
>>
>>385490425
>>385491115
You can get oblivion for free with all dlc and still play with mods.
If you own the game on console there's literally no reason for you to pay one more time.
Pirating is what it is but if you already own the game why the fuck would you buy it twice?
>>
>>385474165
>be me
>don't realise you can't play the game as a magic user only
>have no clue about the level up mechanics so after a while even goblins rape me
>too weak and misskilled to actually beat the main quest after I spent literaly dozens of hours clearing side quests
>have the PS3 version so can't even cheat
>find out about the ring glitch to boost my stats
>finally able to clear the main quest
>>
Oblivion guards are just the best.

Does the nord guard say STOP RIGHT THERE though? there's two of them
>>
Oblivion is one of the worst games ever made, this is objective fact.
>>
>people talking about these autistic level up problems
I've never experiences major issue like this and only put a minimum amount of care into my levelling
unless you play on Very Hard only I don;t see how these will make a huge difference
that or just get a mod to change the level scaling

really what burns me far more is that look/rewards scale too so if you do a quest early the reward will be shit

always made me wait until like lvl 20 to join the mages guild because the staff and Finger of the Mountain wont be useful until then
>>
File: reddit gold.png (436KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
reddit gold.png
436KB, 480x640px
>>385492406
>be me
who the fuck else would you be, you autistic idiot?
>>
>>385492406
>don't realise you can't play the game as a magic user only
I've never had problems with magic only
you just need to get gud and expand your magical scope beyond destruction
did you know you can use telekenesis to move traps like logs and rocks or other shit lying around in dungeons to smack enemies?
>>
>>385495632
Great idea, I only used telekinesis to loot/steal alot of stuff. Maybe a stealth & magic combination would be interesting.
>>
Oblivion is alright even in vanilla, idk why people whinge so much, I played vanilla on console when it first came out and managed well enough without having to go mental.
on PC I've never had issues because the major ones I can at least mod out
>>
File: 1497500663683.jpg (374KB, 960x376px) Image search: [Google]
1497500663683.jpg
374KB, 960x376px
>>385485263
if we get blackmarsh i want this to be the style of music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DKXQQMIpGM
>>
>>385497104
gee, maybe people are whining because it's a stripped down, inferior version of morrowind, did you think of that? and then consider skyrim is an even MORE stripped down version of oblivion

hell, nehrim and enderal are better than any elder scrolls game, and they are made by a few german modders, for free.
Thread posts: 89
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.