[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So what are those open world games that do everything this one

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 4

File: breath-of-the-wild.jpg (200KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
breath-of-the-wild.jpg
200KB, 1600x900px
So what are those open world games that do everything this one does? Nobody ever answered that.
>>
And they never will.

BOM BOM BOM BOMMM BOM BOM BOM
>>
>>385461729
What other game has lots of physics gimmicks and next to no meaningful content?

Probably plenty of MMOs.
>>
>>385463754
Not BotW.
>>
>>385463754
>What other game has lots of physics gimmicks
pfff, BoTW is the only game that did it right. Every other open world game is fetch/kill quests.
>>
>>385461729
at launch playing i was like woah this games a 9/10 now looking back, eh maybe a 7/10
>>
File: 1500992646217.jpg (10KB, 269x269px) Image search: [Google]
1500992646217.jpg
10KB, 269x269px
>>385461729
You'll never get an answer to that.

Instead, the salty in-denial assblasted haters will jump through an assault course of mental gymnastic hoops to convince themselves of any false truth rather than just admit the simple reality than Nintendo just made another great game.

>B-but I can set fire to grass is MGSV!
>I can climb in Minecraft!
>GTAV has rain!

They'll stack up every feature of every open world game ever released to try and desperately hold a candle to BotW - under the blind delusion that the game's critical appraise is due to one defining aspect.

In truth, it's the design philosophy behind BotW which is it's most important characteristic. A foundation of player agency and complete freedom, married with a myriad of seamlessly interconnected systems of environmental interaction and gameplay reciprocation. A world where the exhilaration of exploration is paramount and every discovery is a personal one. An impressive amount of confidence from a developer in their product to simply let a player run wild and make their own game as they see fit. Nintendo said "go ahead, do what you want, we don't care" and meant it in the best way possible.

BotW's legacy is assured.
>>
>>385464434

So it's your first open world game and you're mistaking laziness for design.
>>
>>385463754
>no meaningful content
Not enough cutscenes for you? Fuck off back to GoT, normie.
>>
>>385464434
I'm saving this.
>>
>>385464434
/thread
>>
>>385464524
>it baby's first open world game!

I see this poor attempt at deflection all the time. The truth is that BotW treats the player with more respect and intelligence - and is ultimately far more sophisticated in its design - than most of its peers.
>>
In-denial kiddies will never accept the reality of why BotW has journalists, rival developers and gamers fawning over it and why it's being cited as a new milestone in gaming.

In most open world games getting to an objective requires nothing more than pointing your character in the right direction on your minimap and moving along a flat trajectory.

In BotW, verticality adds a depth to topographical exploration and navigating the world becomes an interactive and reactive exercise. Seeing an object of interest in the distance requires you to figure out how you will get there, and the game design allows the player to approach situations in their own way and let's them fashion their own solutions depending on the resources they have and/or how they want to play.

Will you climb over the mountains? Maybe equip your climbing gear? Maybe brew some stamina or speeds boosts before you go - that way you can climb quicker and still keep your most powerful armour on. But what about the climate? It's freezing up there. Will you acquire some warmer clothes? Or maybe equip a flame weapon to keep the cold away?

Or maybe you should cross over the low lands? Take a horse perhaps? More chance of enemy encounters or running into assassins though. Maybe you could chop a tree down and fashion a makeshift raft and sail it down river?

The focus on player agency and interactivity is unparalleled in any open world game. Some creative folks even made a fucking flying machine out of junk lying around.

The sheer amount of freedom and experimentation within a world where the systems of interactivity are all intricately connected means that every player will have THEIR own unique gaming experience.

It's takes an extraordinary amount of confidence for a developer to say to a player; go ahead, do whatever you want, it's all good. Most game designers would be utterly terrified to give players such freedom out of fear they would break the game.

>b-but you can climb in Minecraft!

Whatever.
>>
>>385464524
Not an argument against his point.
>>
>>385463754
which mmos have physics systems
I must've missed the WoW expansion that lets you timefreeze a boulder and hit it so you can use it as a means of travel
>>
>>385464880
I actually shed a tear of pride when someone turns my posts into pasta.
>>
>>385464434
>>385464880
This.
>>
0dayssince4chancried.jpg
>>
>>385465790

nice replying to your own post for a bump
>>
File: 1492334050169.jpg (111KB, 700x913px) Image search: [Google]
1492334050169.jpg
111KB, 700x913px
>>385465946
>>
>>385464434
Where can I subscribe to your reviews anon?
I am serious
>>
>>385467534
I'm here all week bro, fighting the fight.
>>
>>385461729
MGSV
>>
>>385468352
Not even close. Open world in MGSV was just an excuse to reuse levels. Zelda was all about exploring new areas.
>>
>>385468512
Which just reused shrines anyways
>>
>>385468512
You climb one mountain in Zelda, you climbed them all.

Every single mountain in the game overs the same experience over and over. There is no design of them, just hope of there being a seed or a shrine at the top
>>
I'm getting a switch around the time odyssey comes out and botw is the 2nd game I'm getting. I'm really hoping it's as fun as /v/ says but I'm worried it's just rabid fanboyism.
We'll see
>>
>>385461729
I don't think there's any one game that does the same things, as BotW has a very unique gameplay loop in comparison to most open-world games except maybe the Elder Scrolls series, but they are weaker in terms of liberty of movement and adaptability to player agency.
The game that's come the closest for me in terms of having a similar feeling was Just Cause 2, though it has a distinctly different focus
>>
what game lets me paraglide and land on a horse and ride off
>>
File: old man todd.jpg (8KB, 260x258px) Image search: [Google]
old man todd.jpg
8KB, 260x258px
>>385464434
so you're buying Skyrim on the Switch right?
>>
>>385468752
The game gets progressively worse as you play it, culminating on the worst fucking ending in the whole series. However I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy the fuck out of the earlier parts of the game, that feeling of everything wanting to kill you, knowing nothing about the game, barely being able to fight enemy camps, getting your own horse for the first time, etc. was incredible
>>
>>385469124
This

The early game is fun

mid to late game its boring

Everything felt new at first until you realized that every area will feel the same just with a different coat of paint
>>
>>385469334
I think the paraglider ruined the game. Maybe it should've been a late game item but it makes it too easy to traverse everything theres really no point in doing some else like standing on a log floating down the river.
>>
>some people don't like thing
>make a thread about it
wuss
>>
Nintendo fans are so autistic. They can't accept the fact that not everyone like simple kids games like they do.
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.