[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Who is the best Souls boss? Here's my choice. >great

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 24

File: slave_knight_gael_boss.jpg (45KB, 442x400px) Image search: [Google]
slave_knight_gael_boss.jpg
45KB, 442x400px
Who is the best Souls boss? Here's my choice.
>great music
>thrilling fight
>some good lore behind it
Gael's got it made
>>
Capra Demon just because he causes massive amounts of salt and I beat him on the first try and the thought of it makes me feel good.
>>
File: pablo-mendoza-peces-nito-7.jpg (667KB, 1920x2716px) Image search: [Google]
pablo-mendoza-peces-nito-7.jpg
667KB, 1920x2716px
>>385459212
3 had a lot of great bosses
>Aldritch
>Champion Gundyr
>SoC
>Nameless King
>Gael

The only bosses from DS1 I actively enjoy refighting are Nito, Artorias, and Gwyn so I'd say those ones are the best from that game. I haven't replayed DS2 enough to get a good feeling for all the bosses but Velstadt was fun
>>
Gotta be Ludwig. There is such great buildup. You hear all about how the first hunter of the Healing Church was this paragon of justice and valor. The Church based their best weapons off of his gear and followed his example in the public eye. Ludwig was almost single-handedly responsible for the Church's good reputation, even as they experimented on people and turned them into monsters behind closed doors to perfect their craft while flooding Yharnam with their shitty blood 'cure.' When you finally find out what happened to him, you learn his beloved Moonlight Greatsword, the artifact he meditated on and found peace in, was a focus for the cosmos that slowly drove him mad and finally turned him into the most violent and powerful beast of all. So you do your duty and engage the beast to put Ludwig out of his misery, and after a rough fight in a pit of gore, he collapses and his sword slips out of its scabbard- and seeing it reawakens his humanity, and he fights you man-to-man one last time as the regal hunter he once was, and it is cool as shit.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (451KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
451KB, 1920x1080px
Nothing in the series ever topped this fight. The only thing close was Ludwig
>>
>>385460221
>nameless king
>no epic battle against your sunbro
>tfw solaire si not the gwyn son
>sad as hell
>>
>>385459212
I've only played the first one but I really like the dragonslayer/exicutioner one and the gargoyles.
>>
>>385460445
Even with one arm Artorias was fucking terrifying, imagine him in his prime with sword, board and Sif. Impossible fight.
>>
>>385460439
>When you finally find out what happened to him, you learn his beloved Moonlight Greatsword, the artifact he meditated on and found peace in, was a focus for the cosmos that slowly drove him mad and finally turned him into the most violent and powerful beast of all.

It's even cooler than that.

He was becoming a beast because he drank the blood, like all the hunters did. But also, the tiny cosmos organisms dancing in the moonlight were mutating him into a kin.

So basically he was evolving and devolving at the same time
>>
>>385459212
>Top rated bossfight is an idiot that jumps around in the dirt for 20 minutes before finally dying.
>>
>>385459212
Ah the I didn't exist before the DLC but now I'm essentially one of the most important characters deep lore
>>
>>385462371
>Top rated boss fight is a dragon that splashes around in a pond for 20 minutes and occasionally does shin godzilla breath

I can generalize too
>>
>>385462557
>Ah the I didn't exist before the DLC but now I'm essentially one of the most important characters deep lore

It's appropriate, because that's exactly what the player character is. A fucking nobody who scraped together a lot of power by gathering up the last scraps of some dying gods. He's a mirror image of you.

>Final boss is dark link

pottery masterpiece
>>
File: 1497357747876.png (181KB, 396x197px) Image search: [Google]
1497357747876.png
181KB, 396x197px
>great music
>good lore
>great fight
the fight was nice but using those thigns as an argument is pure casual mode where you needed 5+ tries to defeat him and scream to other people "GIT GUDDDDD NORMALFAG HAHAHAHHA xDDDD"
great boss battles aren't the ones with good music, lore, or atmosphere it's about the fight itself.
if you use any of those shitty arguments i automatically take it that you are just a fanboy shitter.
>>
File: 1447655224915.png (164KB, 541x392px) Image search: [Google]
1447655224915.png
164KB, 541x392px
Wow....a big man.....with a sword........with epic ooohh aaah choir music in the background...........based
>>
Will bloodborne ever come to pc /v/
>>
File: Dirty Dan.jpg (39KB, 512x384px) Image search: [Google]
Dirty Dan.jpg
39KB, 512x384px
>>385462583
Midir is shit, Only top rated because the cucks wanna feel special
>>
>>385459212
>DUDE ANIME LMAO is the best Souls fight ever

Y-you're joking right anon? They made the final boss of the whole series a Berserk reference and you're cool with it?
>>
>>385463143
>They made the final boss of the whole series a Berserk reference

They made the whole soulsborne series one big berserk reference / ripoff
>>
>>385459212
>Gael
>>
File: IMG_0392.png (713KB, 1136x640px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0392.png
713KB, 1136x640px
There's so many variables to just choose so I'll just list some here

DS1:
Great Grey Wolf Sif
Gaping Dragon
O&S
Dark Sun Gwyndolin
DS2
Ruin Sentinels
Royal Rat Authority
Looking Glass Knight
Velstadt, the Royal Aegis
BB
Orphan of Kos
Laurence, the First Vicar
Ludwig the Accursed
Darkbeast Paarl
Martyr Logarius
Ebrietas, Daughter of the Cosmos
DS3
Deacons of the Deep
Twin Princes
Champion Gundyr

Easily the highlights of the games imho
>>
File: IMG_0393.png (963KB, 1136x640px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0393.png
963KB, 1136x640px
>>385463943
Damnit, how did I forget to put Gehrman and Gwyn there
>>
>>385459212
Champion Gundyr or Nameless King. Honorary mentions to Midir and Artorias for great presentation and design.
>>
File: IMG_2305.jpg (666KB, 1920x2532px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2305.jpg
666KB, 1920x2532px
Fume Knight was very enjoyable.
>>
>>385459212

The problem is that the clearly improvised "lore" is so convoluted, and they make no attempt to even clear ONE thing up, that his entire existence kind of doesn't fucking matter outside of "OH WOW HE'S COOL KINDA LIKE ARTORIAS AGAIN HUH HUH? REMEMBER DARK SOULS 1 HUH? WELL LOOK HE'S COOL OH MAH GAWD LIGHTNING AND SHIT SO COOOOOL".

They basically went like "let's leave it to youtube people to discuss our 'lore' lol" and just left it at that. Fucking Bloodbrne has deeper lore that makes sense when compared to whatever the fuck DaS3 is trying to do.
>>
>>385462910
there should have still been something about him in the base game
>>
>>385464692
>REMEMBER DARK SOULS 1 HUH?

That's why the whole game sucked

Abyss Watchers
>DUDE ARTORIAS LMAO
High Lord Wolnir
>DUDE NITO LMAO
Aldrich, Devourer of Gods
>DUDE GWYNDOLIN LMAO
Darkeater Midir
>DUDE KALAMEET LMAO
Soul of Cinder
>DUDE GWYN LMAO

There's not much lore to be immerse yourself like the other games, especially when almost all of DS3's own, new lore basically amounts to
>DUDE SULYVAHN IS A DICK LMAO

That's not even mentioning how they broke poise and made every enemy the exact same R1 fest. If anything, Gael being a pale imitation of numerous knight bosses before him is the most apt characteristic for being DS3's final boss.
>>
That is a relief, to know I did not suffer such denigration for nothing...
Even in these darkest of nights, I still see the moonlight
>>
>>385460704
he lost his arm but he was also strengthened by the abyss, he'd probably be on the same level as Ornstein
>>
DaS2 fags trying to shit on DaS3's lore again when their game is even worse in that department
lmao

at least DaS3 didn't LITERALLY copypasted Ornstein for no reason other than remember him?!
>>
>>385465371
>random as fuck ds2 boogyman
Do take it personally if someone attacks ds3? Fucking pathetic.
>>
>>385460445
Haven't even beaten DS1 but I really enjoyed Artorias.
>>
>>385465524
it's always the same faggot with the same arguments
DaS3 was no masterpiece but was certainly better than DaS2 by a landslide
>>
>>385465371
You're right, DS3 didn't copypasta Ornstein for no reason other than REMEMBER HIM?!

They recycled him three times.
>Dragonslayer Armour
>Nameless King
>Iron Dragonslayer

DS3 is the worst game in the series by a mile, lad. Accept it.
>>
Yall need False King Allant in your life
>>
>>385465807
>Dragonslayer Armour
>Nameless King
>Ornstein copies
I too remember when Ornstein was a hollow armour controlled by abyssal humanity butterflies and a long lost child of Gwyn that was banished from Lordran
>>
>>385466087
Cool semantics.

Dragonslayer Armour and Nameless King are just as much an Ornstein recolors as Old Dragonslayer is. Keep grasping for straws all you want, you know it to be true.
>>
File: Charge_manus.jpg (130KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Charge_manus.jpg
130KB, 1280x720px
>>385460445
Overrated as fuck. Only his 360 sweep move comes out fast enough to be any threat.

Manus is a far better boss fight.
>>
File: nintchdbpict000270514466.jpg (41KB, 785x675px) Image search: [Google]
nintchdbpict000270514466.jpg
41KB, 785x675px
>>385459557
>mfw there will never be an op boss like capra demon
>mfw i can never be a dark souls noob again
>>
>>385466226
>These bosses with different movesets, models and backstories are the same as a literal recolour
>>
>>385459212
Tonight Gherman joins the hunt...
>>
>>385466226
Nah you're dumb. I thought dragonslayer armour looked vaguely like Ornstein when I first fought him but have since noticed the differences.

Nameless King is NOTHING like him. Get your eyes checked.
>>
>>385466653
fpbp
>>
>>385466830
Is this your first time here? fucking hell
>>
File: IMG_0397.png (394KB, 1136x640px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0397.png
394KB, 1136x640px
>>385466653
Do you like Super Smash Bros., anon? Then you'll love this brand new and original addition to the roster!

With a slightly tweake-er, I mean very different moveset and a different backstory!

You're trying to convince me that a person's animated armor is very different from the actual person. Okay.

And you are choking on memes if you think Nameless King is a good boss.
>>
Sinh is more fun and interesting than any "boss" in 3
>>
>DeS:
False King Allant
>DaS:
Ornstein & Smough
>AOTA:
Knight Artorias
>DaS2:
Darklurker
>Three Crowns DLC:
Burnt Ivory King
>Bloodborne:
Ebrietas
>TOH
Ludwig
>DaS3:
Soul of Cinder
>DaS3 DLC:
Darkeater Midir
>>
>>385464894
why tho

Aldia wasn't in the base game, and was amazing.
>>
Gael and Ludwig are the two funnest boss fights in the entire series

I've never been upset about dying to them
>>
File: 1336643215169.jpg (103KB, 500x481px) Image search: [Google]
1336643215169.jpg
103KB, 500x481px
>>385467203
>Aldia wasn't in the base game, and was amazing.
> wasn't in the base game
>>
>>385462910
>player character
>a literal nobody
yeah being able to defeat gods and champions with ease and having literal invincibility is nothing major
>>
>>385467203
Aldia was shit and there were items/spells and an entire area about him in the base game, there was nothing about Gael until the DLCs
>>
>>385466747
>Lightning based polearm weapon
>Nimble and aggressive movement
>Accompanied by a partner boss that he absorbs to empower him when it dies
>Designed to be the hardest boss in the game, almost as if to follow someone's footsteps
>You literally find the Dragonslayer's set when you kill him

Nah you're right, anon

Nameless King is nothing like Ornstein

>Dragonslayer Armour is vaguely like Ornstein

Oh my lord, is this the length you'll go to in order to defend DS3? Quite a coincidence you'll shill for the easiest game in the series.

>>385466830

That's not the first post, samefag.
>>
>>385467123
>Bulletsponge Midir better than Gaels perfected anime fight
>>
>>385463021
better than any nintendo game released to this day
>>
File: patrick.jpg (26KB, 310x592px) Image search: [Google]
patrick.jpg
26KB, 310x592px
>>385464116
>You took my only dark soul.
>NOW IM GONNA STARVE
>>
>>385459212
>some good lore behind it
what lore?
>'muh niece'
>'hey kid... give it here hehe, that Dark Souls the fire fades edition© of yours...'

the fight's alright, too much flipping for my taste
>>
>>385467462
Yes. We finally got the perfect dragon fight after countless attempts (Demon's Red/Blue Dragons, Dark 1's Hellkite and Seath, AotA's Kalameet, Dark 2's Ancient Dragon and Wyvern, Sunken King's Sinh, Dark 3's QTE dragon.) That means more than an out of place DBZ boss that completely shattered the tone of the series.

Midir is everything those other dragons wish they could be (yes he's better than Kalameet and Sinh.) Gael wishes he could be Burnt Ivory, Artorias and most of all; Guts.
>>
>>385467423
But you start the game as nobody, and gael starts out as a slave.

>you are literally the ashes of a failure that got incinerated when a lord rekindled the fire.

Your worth is basically that of trash that somebody ate, and shit out, and then they burned the trash shit and put the trash shit ashes back into the trash.
>>
>>385467457
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gCcp02ik-Qg
This video sums up DS3 pretty well
>>
File: Quelaag_full.jpg (430KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Quelaag_full.jpg
430KB, 1920x1080px
Same could be said about her
I just like the humanoid bosses that flip around the entire area
>>
>>385468162
Dark Souls 3 is more like the Street Sharks spinoff that they did with dinosaurs.
>>
>>385468313
*Don't like
>>
>>385466408
Manus was great. I managed to beat him first try, but I was tense as hell the entire time, and riding by the seat of my fucking pants the whole way.
>>
>>385468358
It bugs me that I loved that show as a kid.
>>
>>385468020
You have free invincibility right at the start too. The only game to not start you as an omnipotent god right away is DaS2
>>
>>385468436
Wait are we talking about Extreme Dinosaurs here?
Extreme Dinosaur ain't no second place to no Shark.
>>
>Dark Souls 3 DLC
>1st boss is a demon with a copy pasted partner and an obligatory anime power up
>2nd boss is some poor White Phantom who got unlucky
>3rd boss is a revamped Ancient Dragon
>4th boss is a generic anime swordsman, with his own obligatory anime power up

It costs $75 to play the Ringed City
>>
File: IMG_0398.png (1MB, 1136x640px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0398.png
1MB, 1136x640px
>>385467657
OW! I BURNT MY HAND!
>>
>>385467457
>>385466226
Actually, all of those including Ornstein are just a bunch of Penetrator clones, there hasn't been an original idea in souls since Demons.
>>
File: The Penitent One.gif (203KB, 680x768px) Image search: [Google]
The Penitent One.gif
203KB, 680x768px
WHO YOU CALLIN PINHEAD?
>>
>>385468162
I thought this one did
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=f2l3_lTVD_0
>>
>>385467123
>Bloodborne
>not Gherman

wtf
>>
>>385468796
>1st boss is a demon with a copy pasted partner and an obligatory anime power up
except they both have different movesets and AI, and the powered up version has a different moveset too
>2nd boss is some poor White Phantom who got unlucky
spear of the church is old monk/mirror knight summon done right
>3rd boss is a revamped Ancient Dragon
the best dragon fight of series, the ancient dragon had what? two moves?
>4th boss is a generic anime swordsman, with his own obligatory anime power up
much better than any swordman from 2, especially that overrated faggot right here >>385469367
>>
>>385468796
Don't forget the diverse enemy roster
>Darklurker knockoff you can't interact with
>Naked zombie dudes that're stronger than the look, never seen that before
>Headless machete fatass that're too slow and dim witted to pose a threat
>More fragile zombie dudes that're stronger than they appear
>Turtle priest zombie? What?
>Kirito, the Black Swordsman, with a diverse arsenal of three different anime light up blades
>Flymen with magical sticks of doom
>And don't forget, the hulking judicators, whose only purpose is to gank unsuspecting players with arrows the first time and then never pose a threat ever again

Miyazaki, you've done it again
>>
>>385470273
>Except they both have different movesets and AI

No they don't, they shift between different "moods" (intensity of flame) at slightly different intervals, but otherwise they're fucking identical. You can even have them both in the same mood at the same time.
>Powered up version has a different movesets too
Right, slightly angrier claw combo and more jump smashes, complete with those fucking flame sentries you can't reach recycled from those Ghru sieverts in the Demon Ruins
>Spear of the Church is Old Monk/Mirror Knight done right
Don't even try to compare Spear to those two. The average Spear gets killed in under two minutes. Most of the time you're matched up with a guy who has no fucking clue how to PVP, because DS3 is casual bait. R1 to win!
>the best dragon fight in the series
Not saying much there, bud
>much better than any swordsman from 2
Saying that snooze fest of a fight is better than most other bosses is laughable. At least Smelter Demon and Velstadt keep you on your toes. Or awake.
>>
>>385471916
I agree with all your points but the last one.

Velstadt is quite possibly the slowest boss of dark souls, maybe even one of the slowest bosses of any game I've ever played.

The only thing that keeps you on your toes is that if you're bad enough to get hit, he can one-shot most builds.
>>
>>385471916
>No they don't, they shift between different "moods" (intensity of flame) at slightly different intervals
because they switch roles doesn't mean there are not two different movesets
won't lose my time with the vague description you gave of the demon prince's moveset, you can make anything look like shit that way
>The average Spear gets killed in under two minutes
your experience, not everyone
>Not saying much there, bud
Midir's only problem is its amount of hp
>At least Smelter Demon and Velstadt keep you on your toes
lmao, yeah sure the former because of its busted hitboxes and the latter because ... yeah no velstadt never had the reputation of being hard or liked by the community

in fact velstadt was so boring and uninspired that fromsoft literally used him as a fucking summon for a DLC boss (and with no lore reasons)
>>
File: IMG_0399.png (2MB, 1136x640px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0399.png
2MB, 1136x640px
>>385469947
>>385469367
>>385467657
>He lost his arm!
>You mean like this? Or this? Or this?
>>
I wouldn't say "best", but one of my favorites. Her fight doesn't really have any unique game mechanics or anything. I just love the atmosphere and sound design.
>>
>>385476050
She's intuitive at teaching the player to be aggressive. With her healing ability, and breakable limbs, she's an excellent boss at rewarding the player for playing the game the right way. In BB, bosses are much stronger than you, so learning when to strike, and when to go in hard, is key. It becomes more obvious when you learn to look for it, i.e. the brief moment where you manage to stagger Orphan. She's not challenging for an experience player, but that's the point. Her design is very memorable too.
>>
>>385460445
>The only thing close was Ludwig
Personally, I'd put Ludwig above, if only for that moonlight sword reveal
>game comes out
>no moonlight sword
>people find out ludwigs sword has good arcane scaling
>ludwig von beethoven... moonlight sonata....
>kinda lame, but whatever
Then the DLC shows up
>gameplay trailers show ludwig is just a mindless beast, much like artorias when you meet him, kinda disappointing
>go in the DLC myself
>finally get ludwig down to half health
>immediately ejaculate
>>
File: IMG_0354.png (1MB, 1136x640px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0354.png
1MB, 1136x640px
>Pssh...not bad, kid...you made me use 50% of my power...
>*Aura flares*
>Too bad for you...your story ends HERE! My true power awakens!

Why were so many DS3 bosses like this? I wouldn't have minded if one was like this, but...
>>
>>385460704
Exactly. What a fucking poorly written OC donut steel character.
>>
>>385472981
>lmao, yeah sure the former because of its busted hitboxes
What busted hitbox does Smelter have?
>>
>>385463054
Just get a PS4 dude. There's heaps of good games out for it now that it justifies the purchase, it hasn't been just a "bloodborne machine" for a long time now
>>
File: King_Allant_The_False_King.jpg (69KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
King_Allant_The_False_King.jpg
69KB, 1280x720px
Thread posts: 87
Thread images: 24

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.