[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Civ 6 is on sale now, considering picking it up however the overall

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 8

File: civ.jpg (28KB, 300x426px) Image search: [Google]
civ.jpg
28KB, 300x426px
Civ 6 is on sale now, considering picking it up however the overall reception seems to be polarizing.

Apart from AI being broken are there any other major issues or is this the same thing that happened to Civ 5 when people kept on saying it's worse than Civ 4 and then started to praise it as best Civ?
>>
The AI was broken at launch but they've mostly fixed it since. It's definitely more challenging than V too. The most common complaint people have is the art style, but it looks much better in game than the screenshots would have you believe.
>>
File: 1501198176578.jpg (265KB, 997x879px) Image search: [Google]
1501198176578.jpg
265KB, 997x879px
>>385403732
Happiness is handled poorly, instead of having resources spread across the empire leading to clever city placement and trade, you need either 1 resource per city or waste time and space on an amenity

Religion is brainless and the religious victory is terrible

Culture tree cheeses the game hard

The Civs are balanced like pure hemorrhoids, some are so powerful they're not fun or challenging and others shouldn't even be in the game at all

The fact that wonders require specific placement isn't fun at all

The AI is still terrible enough to the point diplomacy is still impossible, with being denounced a retarded amount of times and having Civs you haven't even met yet declare war on you

Eurekas are dogshit and just ruin the pacing of the game

No strategy in what you do other than go wide early game and spam the fuck out of military, growing tall is not an option at all.
Its honestly the worst Civ game to date
>>
>>385403928
How is the management level at the current state in Civ6 ?

I've found that until Gods and Kings was released Civ5 felt rather shalow.

The current DLC for Civ6 only seems to be adding new civilizations and I had not heard anything regarding a new expansion so wondering if I should hold off until there is one (if there is one).
>>
>>385403732
I hate the puzzle game they turned base placement into. Planning your district diamonds across multiple cities really really sucks. Otherwise I like it better than 5 in all ways.
>>
>>385404310
Hold off until they get their shit together

The game is not in a good state
>>
>>385403732
I thought it had a ice shell of a game but it's been out nearly a year and the improvements have been a fraction of what they needed to be by now.
>>
>>385404401
Seems to be a repeat of Civ 5 then, I suppose once Fraxis release new X-Com expansion they might start working on Civ6 again.

Granted though aforementioned issues don't give me much hope as it seems that Fraxis hasn't learned from the mistakes of Beyond Earth.
>>
>>385404365
>>385403732
>>385404598

never played Civ V at launch, what was wrong with it?
>>
>>385404658
Ai was a bit sloppy, the new tile system (hexagons instead of squares) fucked with everyone, depth wasn't quite on part with Civ 4 (Granted Civ 4 had 3 expansions) and art style changed quite significantly.
>>
>>385403732
>CIV VI is out
I haven't even properly played V yet
>>
I always inevitably go back to IV or III with these games. The waiting time between turns in V and VI is just annoying
>>
AI being shit is the only issue.

It's the best civ ever, especially if you liked IV and disliked V
>>
>>385403732
The only people who praise civ5 are children who never really played the old civs. Nu-civ is garbage and 6 is even worse than 5. Stay away. 1upt ruined this franchise and made it tedious as fuck with terrible warring
>>
File: civilization_vi_nubia_hero.jpg (842KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
civilization_vi_nubia_hero.jpg
842KB, 1920x1080px
Have you bought literally who expansion?
>>
>>385405829
>I can't stack units and the tech tree isn't as cuhrazzy so V is shit

when will this meme end
>>
>>385406338
The tech tree's fucking ridiculous in this game though
>>
>>385405829

This.

>>385406338

You could write a doctors thesis on why civ 5 is absolute dogshit. 1upt is just the tip of the iceberg.
>>
>>385405928
>Nubia
>literally who

american education
>>
>>385403732
IV is still the best civ and only one worth playing between IV and VI. VI might get better if they churn out expansions to fix everything but 1upt makes the AI even more retarded than usual in both games it's in so they're eternally flawed unless they suddenly decide to hire someone who is actually good at making AI.
At least VI has less problems than V already, but the problems are all horrible. (Which means they are easy to identify and fix, hopefully...) V is just hopeless.
Religion is the most blatant failure in game design and is as retarded as the AI, if you don't get one of them you're certain to lose because you can't prevent a religious victory no matter what you do. Hell, a friend of mine won by surrendering to me, making it so half of my empire got his religion since I didn't have a religion of my own. He won by losing. That's how retarded it is.
>>
The distinct lack of fan service really hurts the game desu
>>
>>385407532
I was just memeing about the fact you can cheese the game but lmao

also please do write said essay I'm curious
>>
>>385403732
Civ 4 is still the best civ. It's just that Civ 5 became really mainstream attracting a huge pool of new players and it was the first civ game for them. That's why if you ask anywhere which Civilization or even which TBS game people like the most Civ 5 will likely be the answer.
>>
>>385407757
he's just going to link to that one blog post from civ vanilla
>>
Fucking barbarians
>>
>>385404598

Is Beyond Earth playable now with the expansion? I hated how it was basically a one wincon game, pump science into your flavour tree and that was it.
>>
>>385408335
not really

the expansion was an improvement, but the game is just fundamentally shitty looking and not really fun
>>
>>385407610
Please, they needed to pander to:
>women
>fatsos
>blacks
>diversity
>matriarchy
And of course I knew about Nubia, not much but enough to tell you about their insignificance. Without the agenda, they wouldn't be in the game, at least not in first 20th nations.
>>
>this was a pretty good game
>>
>>385408434

The graphics don't bother me but why is not fun? What did the expansion change? I only played it on release and got half way through to games before I realized there was no real difference between the affinities and you just chose based on what resource you spawned near. I can't remember much of what else about it was bad.
>>
>>385407819

You mean Sulla? Yes, that would be a pretty good start.

>>385407757

1upt did:
>turn every war into a traffic jam
>force to dial down production so half the game is just slamming end turn now
>the AI is literally retarded and cant play the game, you can do a world conquest with a dozen units or less

Also in no particular order:

>cities increasing culture and science costs is pants on head retarded, the best strategy is to stay on 4 cities, you are actively punished for expanding and much of the world stays unclaimed in modern times
>while the reworked culture system is great, the whole archeology thing is boring, fiddly busywork
>ideologies suck ass and barely got worked on
>religous system is terrible
>diplomacy is still a disaster, its either an effective always war and there is no point contacting anyone ever or a gamebreaker when you can cheese the AI for everything it has
>AI personalities are also boring and not as characteristic as it was in 4
>the entire game is a shit brown mess, no colorful jungles, resources, sparkling seas like in 4
>zero flexibility in tech, you are always going to do the same cheese route
>zero city mangement, no slaving, chopping, switching tiles for optimal micro like in 4, no sense of growth either
>entire game isnt about building up a strong empire but freebies, do this for free shit,clear out this barb camp for free shit, finish off this culture tree for free shit do that for free shit, befriend that city state for free shit
>ah yes, city states what a FUCKING retarded concept, holy shit, the one who came up with this in a civ game should be shot

cont.
>>
>>385408546
>>cities increasing culture and science costs is pants on head retarded, the best strategy is to stay on 4 cities, you are actively punished for expanding and much of the world stays unclaimed in modern times

Stopped reading here. You're either god awful at the game or have mongoloid genes.
>>
Also, this >>385407808

I get what they wanted to do with hexes, but they have completely bungled it. Look at any oldschool turn based strategy like Panzer General with hexes. Look at how much room you have to maneuvre, how much flexibilty and choice you have. They shat on the whole building empires thing to turn it into a casual game with freebies out the ass and skinner box mechanics. Just look at civ 4. You have to go out and DO stuff, explore, expand, exterminate or you will be hopelessly left behind. There is no prodding, no handhelding, no railroading. Its just you, a huge chunk of pristine land and the empire you can make. In 5 everything happens TO you, you cant really instigate shit. You finish off culture trees, rub city state bellies and shit just magically appears in your cities. Even the research agreement works like this. Instead of getting a bonus at techs the other civ knows, or just outright tech trading you pay the price and a random tech magically appears out of thin air. All of this is jsut to hold the attention of casuals, the equivalent of jingling keys in their face so they dont have to make strategic decisions, they dont have to expand, so they can sit on 4 cities the entire game and still win
>>
>>385408546
most of this has been blatantly untrue after G&K or BNW
>>
>>385408741
>I have never even touched multiplayer in my life
>>
>>385408745

Which one of this isnt true? Give me examples.

>>385408794

>trying to move goalposts
>>
>>385408741

Since when was going tall ever the best option? As far as I remember wide was by far the superior option in most cases.
>>
>>385408830
what goalposts? almost all of what you mentioned is just cheesing the AI, which is easy in IV too
>>
>>385408546
This is some genuine top tier bait i actually feel obligated to respond
>>
>>385408905
It is, he's just being retarded - in Civ 5 going wide is still the best option, the culture/science decrease is extremely minimal, but anon hasn't played the game since it came out
>>
>>385408830
>zero city mangement, no slaving, chopping, switching tiles for optimal micro like in 4, no sense of growth either
>ideologies suck ass and barely got worked on
>zero flexibility in tech, you are always going to do the same cheese route
>AI personalities are also boring and not as characteristic as it was in 4

all blatantly untrue, and shit like "religious system is terrible" is pretty subjective, it's fun
>>
>>385403732
The AI will never be good. The AI was fucking horrible in V too, but it's more obvious in this game as they've introduced a bunch of gameplay systems that the AI is blatantly incapable of dealing with.
>>
>>385408971

Its mathematically not. Any city founded after renaissance times will always be a net drain on your research times even if you gear it 100% towards science.

>>385409024

>all blatantly untrue

Better bring up some proof then.

>its fun

Is not proof. Also, dont split your posts, I can see the poster count.
>>
File: CRASH.jpg (83KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
CRASH.jpg
83KB, 1024x1024px
Does anyone wanna host civ 5 desu
>>
>>385408905
>>385408971
t. only played Vanilla and G&K
With the changes in BNW to the culture tree and to cities giving science penalties, going tall with 3 or 4 cities became the undisputed best option
>>
Civ 5 with Vox Populi is the most fun you can possibly have
>>
>>385409185
>Its mathematically not. Any city founded after renaissance times will always be a net drain on your research times even if you gear it 100% towards science.
this
>>
>>385409225
>>385409747
>>385409185
>what is shoshone
>what is Corea

Just because you're terrible at the game doesn't make it true. Wide is still overall better than tall even in BNE for a majority of civs.
>>
civ 6 is playable and challenging, not really an improvement over 5 though and there's alot of bugs in the game which make you wonder if they even playtested it
>>
Buy on mmoga instead
>>
>>385408531
its not fun because all the techs are gobbledygook, the military element sucks, diplomacy is non-existent, there's really nothing good about it at all
>>
>>385408596
tradition + 4 cities is the only way to play civ 5 unless you're going for total war or you have an amazing amount of luxuries, any good player would agree
>>
>>385404249
So wide, ICS or whatever, is still the best?
>>
>>385411264
you can't play tall in Civ6. There's hard caps on population which mean pretty much any city from any civ will be sitting at around the same pop at any point in the game. It's all about going wide and getting as much production as possible. All you need for a good city is alot of hills
>>
>>385410614
t. prince babby
It blatantly isn't. Ask any high level player.
>>
>>385403732

Civ 5 is worse than Civ 4 though, always has been and always will be.

People didn't change their minds and start praising it, what happened is that Civ V went mainstream and is now 90% of its playerbase's first Civ game. THOSE are the people claiming it's the best one - the casuals who never played anything else.
>>
>>385404658
Also removal of health and global happiness which sucked ass
>>
>>385412198
Doom stacks made Civ IV feel cheap
>>
>>385403732
>Fraxis game
>Before 2 expansions
>Before an expansion
You deserve what you get.
>>
File: 1500377795138.png (134KB, 372x334px) Image search: [Google]
1500377795138.png
134KB, 372x334px
>>385412298
countered by siege weapons
>>
>>385412298

Doom stacks were countered by units that dealt collateral damage such as siege units and bombers.

More importantly, doom stacks allowed the AI to be an actual threat sometimes, unlike in V where Firaxis's incompetent programmers could never manage even something as simple as making the AI put their melee units in front of their ranged units.

Not to mention V became an absolute shitslog at endgame, especially in multiplayer, with pretty much every tile on the map occupied by a unit and every single turn becoming an obnoxious sliding panel puzzle of shuffling them around.
>>
Is Civ 4 worth playing if I've only played 5 and 6?
>>
>>385412198

This. "wider audience" happened. Civ 6 unironically looks and plays like a facebook game or something. Even the civilopedia and the tech quotes are filled with inane "witty" bullshit.

>>385412718

Yes. It still has an alive community and a huge library of absolutely great mobs like Fall From Heaven or Cavemen to Cosmos. Its still the pinnacle of the genre and definitely worth checking out.
>>
I want to physically hurt everyone who prefers 1 unit per tile. That shit is not fun when you have more than 3 units. Back to Civ 4 then.
>>
>>385412886
I like 1 unit per tile. I don't like Civ 5 or 6's implementation of 1 unit per tile. The world map is far too small for it.
Thread posts: 66
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.