[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Man........... Assuming you left him; what did he do when

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 145
Thread images: 11

Man...........
Assuming you left him; what did he do when he woke up, /v/?
>>
I'd like to think he decided to go for a walk to the nearest continent and go sightseeing in the post-apoc world.
>>
killed himself prob, he was in a locked room with some spooky shit behind the door
>>
This decision still makes me shiver. That game make you think and fear what this world can become.
>>
Can someone summarize SOMAs story? All I know is that you start out believing you're human and later find out you're a robot and need to upload your brain to a harddrive that launches into space. But why? Are there no humans left?
>>
>>385403205
>deep-sea self (somehow) climbs back up
>gets into a fruitless fist-fight with self

This is a likely outcome.
>>
>>385403330
He was on a ocean shelf and his current body/suit couldn't deal with the depth of the ocean floor.

He probably tried to kill himself or get nabbed by the WaU
>>
>>385403406
play it for fuck's sake. it one of the few recent games which really should be played.

Although you've already went a great deal into spoiling it for yourself.
>>
>>385403406
There's one living human left and there's several saved humans.

The games about what is human and what humanities next step might be
>>
probably the best part of the game
followed by the elevator scene a few minutes later
the dialogue was so well done and voice actor sounded broken
shame the rest of the game is pretty poor
>>
>>385403406
No, you start out as a human a guy called Simon who was involved in an accident that left him brain damaged.

It was effecting his life so he looked for a cure, a doctor reached out to him to try an new experimental technique to scan his brain and cure him.

After that everything is literally spoilers. it's best to play it.
>>
>>385403406
Nope. The game is post apocalyptic. There are literally no survivors left. Only data representing human thoughts. I think the reasoning behind going to space is that you'll only degrade over time on Earth so why not launch into space with the hopes of living eternally.
>>
More importantly, do you think Catherine evil? Even if not on purpose.
>>
If you killed the WaU you fucked up
>>
>>385403679
Can you not kill it? I thought it's mandatory to progress.
>>
>>385403679
Nah, WaU won't save anyone anyway, it would only prolong the suffering
>>
>>385403205
What game, though? I am interested in playing this now.
>>
>>385403601
The best meme is that objects in space are somehow not subject to degrading over time.
>>
>>385403640
Wouldn't say evil but no less innocent.

There was no need to lie to people about the coin toss to get them to cooperate.
Because people believed her about the cointoss they started killing themselves to try and "win" it. Even though there was no coin toss to begin with.

Even if she just said
>Yeah we're going to copy your mind and the copy will live in a simulation on the ark until ayy lmaos find us and help us. So while you're dead your consciousness will live on.
People would probably still do it.
>>
>>385403754
Well, it doesn't look too bad when you get hooked up to WaU for a moment, after you get captured.
>>
File: SOMA.jpg (62KB, 643x720px) Image search: [Google]
SOMA.jpg
62KB, 643x720px
>>
File: 1455376981386.jpg (409KB, 1157x772px) Image search: [Google]
1455376981386.jpg
409KB, 1157x772px
Is this game spooky?

Should I play it if I am a colossal faggot related to scary games?
>>
>>385403754
Like the ark?
>>
>>385403406
It's an examination of the problems with duplicating consciousness, essentially.

You are playing a guy who was diagnosed with terminal cancer or some shit and volunteered for research into brainscans. You get scanned, and snap, you wake up x-dozen years later in post-apocolyptia.

Basically, the problem/theoretical problem is what would happen if you perfectly duplicated a person and their brain? Say we shoved you in a big tube with a '1' on it, and across from you was a big tube with a '2' on it where your duplicate would be created. One of the concerns of perfect duplication is that you couldn't technically be sure which body you'd end up in. Do you close your eyes, open them, and you're looking at the copy in Tube 2? Or do you close your eyes, open them, and you're looking at the original in Tube 1?

Because creating a perfect duplicate means they would have all your memories and experiences up to that exact moment, the reality you are currently living could perhaps be a memory instead of active participation, and thus you'd believe you were the original when in fact you were the duplicate.

In reality this doesn't really work, consciousness can't be transfered like that so you blink and you're in Tube 2 and so the very start of the game doesn't work, but beyond that point, the Main Char's consciousness is digital and computer-ized, making it more possible and believable that he could leap between bodies/upload to things, etc.

tl;dr, you follow one path of a character's brainscan through a post apocalyptic adventure where you create duplicates of yourself who either die, get fucked over, or survive.
>>
>>385403821
So is space simulation. From Simon's perspective it's best for him to launch the Ark and then become one with WaU.
>>
>>385403754
it was making steady progress despite limited resources
>>
What fucking game you niggers?!?
>>
>>385403798
They said it's for a couple thousand years, until half-life kicks in. In space it's at least from air and moisture.
>>
>>385403861
Ark will survive for tens of thousands of years, if not hundreds or even millions. WaU will be done in a century if not much sooner. Humanity will die either way, but I like the simulation scenario more.
>>
>>385403931
Read the thread you dumb nigger.
>>
>>385403413
Nigga what
>>
>>385403809
Dude what? People were killing themselves because of that faggot Sarang. Catherine has nothing to do with it.
But being autistic she doesn't understand the difference between the copy and the original, even they're identical. That's why she tells Simon she'll get "them" on board of the Ark, when she actually means "their copies", giving him false hope.

I think Simon would still help her to launch the Ark, even if she didn't lie to him, because that's really the only thing left worth doing in that dead world.
>>
>>385403949
You can have both though, have the unaltered human minds launched into space and let the WaU continue it's experiments to re-create humanity on earth.
It came extremely close with Simon to remaking a 'human'
>>
>>385403937
I can tell you from personal experience if you're expecting hardware to last before nuclear batteries or whatever run out then you'd be incorrect

Perfectly reasonable chance that 10 years in they have a failure and whoops there goes half the Ark, let alone half the CPUs required to run it with ZERO maintenance
>>
>>385403798
Space is a vacuum and preserves cells with the cold. Things do degrade, but thousand times more slower than if they were subject to air.
>>
>>385403205
Goes crazy because alone in fucked up world and kills himself or dies to some of the abominations roaming the neighborhood.
>>
>>385403923
WaU has been using what's been left by humans, there are much shorter limits until it's fucked. It's lucky it happens to be in a place where humans already made the perfect environment for it.
>>
Simon wakes up, rightfully pissed off and loads himself into the ARK launcher. Firing himself after it, he catches up to the satellite in space and grabs it. He then begins to literally fuck it, causing it to break down and become a virtual hell that everyone inside is trapped into for an eternity. His revenge complete, Simon throws the wretched thing into the sun, not realizing that by doing so he's propelled himself deep into space.
>>
>>385403809
To be fair, this is explained the second time you duplicate to get into your upgraded suit. She clearly spells out that you can't just leap bodies and all that is happening is she created a duplicate that you happen to be. Why players thought they'd actually get on the ark is silly.

However at the same time, the game is a bit of a cheat because it wouldn't work like that in reality. Each version would operate independently, but the game presents it to your backwards. What should have happened was you take the original brain scan, then go home and die of cancer. Or, the game should have started with a brief video of your life, then given you control right at the start of the robot part, etc.

Internally. it would appear that you are 'hopping' bodies, but that's only because you are observing from the inside. Realistically, you play 3 completely seperate characters over the course of the game, and the final ending is the view of a 4th, not actually the journey of a single character.

However that's not as emotionally charged or good for gameplay, so.
>>
File: Death_simon1.png (757KB, 1024x512px) Image search: [Google]
Death_simon1.png
757KB, 1024x512px
>You play the brain scanned copy of a human that died in the modern day, uploaded into a robot cortex chip, slotted into a robot brain and eye package, which is then FORCIBLY shoved into and bio-mechanically fused with the spinal cord of a woman's headless dead body that in turn has been bio-mechanically fused into a diving suit, in the future.
>>
>>385404016
Simon have brain damaged and is canadian.
He's not that good at the thinking
>>
>>385403872
>believable that he could leap between bodies/upload
Nothing is being transferred. Only copied.

The example you gave of the two tubes, it's like two different people exist with the exact same memory and experiences. They then go on living and experiencing different lives.

Simons mind was scanned into a legacy scan. That's what was pasted into the robots body, that's what got copied into the depth diving suit.

There is not transfer because the original is always there.
Simon in the real world went on living still suffering from whatever he was trying to cure and his part of the story was over, which is why perspective changed to future simon. He still had the rest of his life to live and he did so.
>>
>>385403949
>WaU will be done in a century
WaU has the magical goo gel. The Ark has no maintenance or a way to protect itself from space debris or magnetic storms. WaU would undoubtedly last longer.
>>
>>385404058
Space isn't cold. Its extremes of both hot and hold.

The side of the ISS that faces the sun is up to 250°F.
>>
>>385404041
>let alone half the CPUs required to run it with ZERO maintenance

There are quantum CPU's right now in use that A.) Don't need electricity and B) Don't need maintenance

>>385404160
>he thinks space has a temperature

You're retarded my man.
>>
>>385404136
>woman's headless dead body
Gets me hard every time.
>>
>>385404149
Yeah, that's my point. If she just took her time to explain what exactly she was trying to do, it wouldn't be so cruel to Simon in the end.
>>
WAU would have eventually rebuilt humanity. The shit you saw in the game was a temporary emergency state, the brief look into its simulations show it knows what it's supposed to do.
>>
>>385404153
The ARK can orbit the gas giants for millenias before the magnetic storms will get it (they most likely won't get it anyway, not before some part will break).
>>
>>385404130
Well yeah even the audio logs and reports clearly show what happens during the scans. I can't remember off the top of my head why she started the coin toss thing and where people first got the idea to kill themselves.

Everyone defends Simon though. Saying he's brain damaged. The second scan with the depth suit and the ethical choice should have been obvious even to Simon.

But I guess from a storytelling perspective it's better to have the player in the know and have them watch the character desperately hold onto a false hope. Then sperg out at the end when that hope is gone.
>>
>>385404069
>goes crazy and dies
>dude is literally immortal provided he finds a way to recharge, doesn't need to eat or breath, and has run over an entire planet

Fucking whiners everywhere. The best course would be to scoop up some of that goo, take it to the shittsville surface to let it start repairing/colonizing, use its provided power, and just go nuts. Hell we see it has the power to restore backup copies/life to people who are scanned, so you aren't even 'alone', you have potentially dozens of other people there with you whom you could figure out how to activate. So you have millions of years until the sun explodes to have a mini, immortal civilization of scientists to figure out how to constantly improve the situation.

You defeatist faggots.
>>
>>385403509
>>385403578
I'm not that anon and while i do appreciate the attempt at hiding spoilers i'm just never going to play this game because it's way, way toospooky4me and transhumanist topics just send me down in a spiral of anxiety disorder if i delve too deep, so i would really appreciate just a summary to appease my curiosity.
>>
>>385404225
I didn't say space had a temperature, just that being in it you be subject to extremes of hot and cold. Which is entirely true.

Oh, and that quantum computing shit is absolutely the stupidest thing in this thread. Congrats.
>>
>>385404152
>Nothing is being transferred. Only copied.
She could've just Cut+Paste instead of Copy+Paste and having the copy deal with deleting the original himself after the fact.
>>
>>385404225
Space does have temperature though, it's 2.7 kelvin and it will get colder.
>>
>>385404160
How much is that in normal degrees?
>>
>>385404368
Maybe it's impossible to cut and paste brainscans even if you're already in a digital medium. I dunno why, but it seems to be the case
>>
>>385404331
Can you read?
Can you not tear shit apart and post it out of context?
>dies to some of the abominations roaming the neighborhood
Did you miss all the enemies walking around?
>>
>>385403841
I watched a playthrough on youtube, did me just fine, you wont miss much by doing this
>>
>>385404331
>provided he finds a way to recharge
>>
>>385404152
I agree with you and don't think the transferring thing is real which is why the story doesn't make sense as we view it, I was just trying to defend their willing suspension of disbelief as they try to explain how we see the perspectives of 4 characters while acting like we're the 'same one' throughout.
>>
>>385404368
That raises a whole labyrinth of moral questions about weather a duplicate consciousness has the same human rights as the original and if not which consciousness do we consider the original, the one in the first body or the one that was moved.
>>
SOMA is the equivalent of a Transformers movie directed by Christopher Nolan. The plebs will think they're smart for liking it, when in reality its themes have been done a thousand times before and better.

Shit, SOMA wasn't even remotely scary.
>>
>>385404225
Objects in space have temperature, even if the vacuum does not, idiot.
>>
>>385404331
Even if you ignore all the problems with that, there's no way he's smart enough to pull that off or even think of it. Guy is kind of stupid.
>>
>>385404574
>Transformers movie
>wasn't even remotely scary
Excellent critique there m80.
>>
>>385404561
In fairness though the "same one" is correct for everyone except the original.

the new simon believed he was the old simon effectively because he was up until the point of the scan.

Same with the coin toss. it's a nice little lie because the person that appears on the ark believes they "won" the coin toss, while the sucker on earth "lost" it.
It gives a false element of hope to the person.

Look at how Simon reacted at the end, that hope was strong enough for him to keep going even after he saw first hand that it wasn't a coin toss.
>>
>>385404331
Yeah I'm with you on that. You deal with the WAU and you can use the brainscans of the scientists to fuck around using the goo to revive them.

Sure, some of them gave up by killing themselves, you might want to hesitate reviving them, but there were plenty of people who weren't retarded.

The game shows they have magic-science; universal physical storage/media, super efficient batteries, and the goo gives you amazing robotics using nothing but a fucking corpse.
>>
>>385404483
There's only a few of them and logs/sims show that the entire stage of apeshit crazy replicas is entirely temporary. The Goo is operating in emergency-mode and given that your character is, again, immortal, all he has to do is shove his dick into a power-outlet in a safe room, seal it, wait a couple hundred years, and there won't BE abominations roaming around. All the urgency and danger in the game is solely created by you needing to traverse the entire area fast to deploy the Ark in a very limited timeframe. Without that, there is literally no reason not to just sit still, don't do anything remotely dangerous and wait till the situation fixes itself.
>>
>>385404160
>he thinks the ISS is real
>>
How in the world do you build an entire large base and a 4km long space cannon that deep underwater
>>
>>385404730
Science magic
>>
>>385404574
>themes have been done a thousand times before and better
You're welcome to bring up an example that is so fucking immersive that it overtakes the fact that the video game medium puts a new spin on it that makes it feel incredible.
>>
>>385404225
All of space has a temperature and it's retarded to think otherwise. Throughout the entirety of our universe there is a field of photons emitted from the cooling fetal plasma of the big bang. This has been dilated over time due to gravitational lensing, and the result is very very low energy microwaves that exist everywhere - literally everywhere. This is the Cosmic Microwave Background and it's fluctuations in temperature have been researched since it's discovery and lead to countless developments in Astronomy
>>
File: flash.png (146KB, 403x428px) Image search: [Google]
flash.png
146KB, 403x428px
I thought the ending would have been better if they swapped the Ark scene with Simon being abandoned and alone. It would be more jarring to the player.
>>
>>385404574
The amount of themes that haven't been done before and better is frighteningly small.

If everyone consistently invented or improved themes our lives would be much more interesting, no?
>>
>>385404860
I think it works just fine.
Because in the back of your mind you known deepdivesuit Simon is still down there
>>
File: Ocelot explains MGS plot.jpg (26KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Ocelot explains MGS plot.jpg
26KB, 640x480px
>>385404730
>>
>>385404686
No, my point was more that the game is a cheat by flipping perspectives. If you wanted to be accurate, gameplay should've either
A) Continued on from the first scan and you die of cancer
B) Started from waking up in the labs after a video representing your memories and continuing straight past your second duplication when another character decides whether he kills you or leaves you in a chair
C) Starts with you waking up in the super-suit after a video of you memories, you decide whether or not to kill your duplicate, etc, or
D) Starts on the Ark after a video of your memories etc etc

I get that from a gameplay perspective that wouldn't work, but in reality, you couldn't actually control all of those actions because the are different people. I get that it would SEEM to guy-C that he once walked around his apartment and made choices, but he never actually did, so letting us control that is a cheat. Again, it's a game though, and I understand why that break from reality was needed to make plot. I just don't understand the emotional investment at the end because you should already know in the back of your mind how its gonna go, and the additional impossibility of whats happening already.
>>
File: 1494181263070.png (129KB, 674x352px) Image search: [Google]
1494181263070.png
129KB, 674x352px
>these niggers believing the earth is round
lmao
>>
>>385403640
there is nothing evil about Catherine and the mere notion of this is almost offending

are you american?
>>
>>385404995
It's not really a cheat when Simon thinks that player's perspective = his perspective for 99% of the game. He probably understands that he's getting copied, but he still thinks that "true consciousness" gets tranfered with him, because that has been the case not once, but twice. Hell in the ending he thinks he won the lottery 3 times I bet.
>>
>>385405035
Finally someone who's awake
>>
>>385404686
>the new simon believed he was the old simon effectively because he was up until the point of the scan.
No he wasn't. He just thought he was.

>Look at how Simon reacted at the end, that hope was strong enough for him to keep going even after he saw first hand that it wasn't a coin toss.
That's because Simon is an idiot. This was even established in-game, with the chick deciding to lie to him because she realized he was too stupid to get it, then telling him as much after the fact.
>>
>>385405059
Well, maybe not intentionally evil, but what she did to Simon was cruel. She probably thought it wouldn't matter once their copies are on the Ark. Or maybe she didn't want to spend god knows how many years on the Ark with a person who realizes he wasn't really transferred onto the Ark, but just copied again, and that he left yet another Simon down on the Earth.
Either way, she mislead him into believing she'd actually transfer them both onto the Ark instead of just copypasting again. And I think she didn't have to, because I think Simon would help her anyway, even if he knew that it will his copy that gets a ticket to the future, not himself.
>>
>>385405131
True. I'm just pointing out that by giving the player agency over all those perspectives, it confuses the facts a bit by insinuating you have been playing a single 'consciousness' that's been in control of all these actions, thus the way people refer to it as 'transferring' your mind when in reality that isn't happening. Again, Simon thinking he was walking around in his apartment once isn't reality. He was born 10 seconds ago and is taking his first steps just now.
>>
>>385403949
Ark has nothing to do with humanity' survival. It's just a bunch of computer programs programmed to behave like literally insane human beings. If anything, it's a perversion of humanity. It should be destroyed.
>>
>>385405289
Simon was a dumbass, not her fault he didn't grasp the concept
>>
>>385405308
His life on Earth is just as real for the copy, because he has memories of it. Memories is really what your personality is built from.
>>
>>385405289
see
>>385405167

Simon is a legit moron who just happened to scan his brain because cancer. Catherine is a top-tier scientist. She starts off pretty cordial, but even an hour in its clear she realizes Simon is a retard who genuinely doesn't understand what is happening or how. Faced with that, her options are either to sit him down for X-hours and carefully explain everything, or dumb it way the fuck down and dangle a carrot for him to chase and distract him.

Given the time-sensitive nature of the problem and not knowing how unstable/crazy he'll become if he realizes the true shittiness of the situation, she opts for option B.
>>
>>385405308
Just saying that a lot of people missed the point with perspectives, I think. We, as a player, can see that Simon is getting copied from one body to the next, just like any other outside observer, but this isn't the case for Simon's pespective. That's why the game is only from first person perspective, so the player can emphasise with Simon's last realization, even it was obvious from the very beginning.
>>
>>385405458
Yes, but she didn't even try to clear up his misunderstandings. She just waved away at it and thought it's all good as long as she keep using him.
>>
>>385405289
She told him the truth several times. He didn't get it. Then she decided she had to lie to him in order to animate him into action.
>>
File: vlcsnap-2013-05-01-10h44m03s60.png (412KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
vlcsnap-2013-05-01-10h44m03s60.png
412KB, 800x450px
>>385405513
So it's okay to be cruel to morons, just because they're stupid?
>>
>>385404008
real spoilers nigga
the simon that made it to the end to see the ark launched into space, call him simon 3, somehow ascends back to where he left the copy of simon that the WAU brought back to lift, aka simon 2. simon 2 is the one who was put in a suit that couldn't withstand the deep sea pressure and was left unconscious in the copying station.

So what that anon was trying to say is these two simons fight each other because they'd both be angry about being cucked out of the ark
>>
>>385405474
Blast and damnation man I understand that, my only point is that you shouldn't be given control over all of it.

The copies THINK they had control, they didn't. By giving you ACTUAL control, it breaks the gameplay/story cohesion in a way. For accuracy, it should have either made it clear you were playing multiple characters (ruining emotional investment) or only let you control one (ruining gameplay). I get why they didn't, obviously, but its still a cheat.
>>
>>385405618
And that's what makes her evil.
>>
>>385405451
>Ark has nothing to do with humanity' survival
Neither is WaU. If you think that survival only means action then Ark not only resembles humans more due to the very fact that it simulates humans better at the core, instead of making bizzare creatures out of people, but will also most likely outlast WaU or anything on Earth for that matter. Humanity is dead either way, Simon saw the last human die. It's either WaU or Ark. And, you know what, I don't see anything wrong with simulated humanity, it's what everyone have been dreaming all this time.
>>
>>385405631
Sometimes you have more important goals than being nice. Surely you can understand this, anon.
>>
>>385405631
Unironically yes, though. That's the entire premise of society. You tell people that they have to act in a certain way. The smart people will do it because they realize that's the best way to live, the dumber people will do it because they know they'll get punished if they don't, and the stupid people don't do it and have to be rounded up and shoved in jails and projects.

This isn't news, entire human history is tricking stupid people into doing certain things because it profits smart people, or smart people want to do the right thing, etc.
>>
>>385405752
Important goals? Like shooting your pet project into orbit asap because you're autistic? That's what got her killed in the first place. Isn't it more important to be more humane with like the only other sane person left on Earth? Especially considering you'll have to spend the rest of your life with the said person AFTER you launch your copies into space?
>>
>>385405637
Simon 3 would not leave without taking the unit containing Catherine. If they made it back to where Simon 2 remained they would both have to listen to what Catherine had to say and hopefully they aren't so retarded as to ignore what she says at that moment.

If they fought then then fine. But Catherine would have something to say about it. She simply ran out of power.
>>
>>385405809
Smart people don't always do the right thing.
>Acts of goodness are not always wise, and acts of evil are not always foolish, but regardless, we shall always strive to be good
- Bloodborne
>>
>>385405513
Simon isn't a moron and everyone who thinks this fails not only at empathy, but also heavily overestimates their own mind's (in)ability to cope with such a sudden and drastic existential predicament if it were to happen to them

Catherine has had a long while to contemplate her situation, while Simon's consciousness is ripped from a mundane timeline and put dead center in a future apocalypse where the rules of life and death and notions on what it means to be human have been blurred significantly
>>
>>385405631
Yes?

>Don't kill eachother
>>But I want to
>Don't do it you shit
>>He has stuff I want
>If you do it you're a bad person
>>I don't care I'll have more stuff
>If you do it I'll have to punish you
>>Then I'll kill you too
>Well if you do it, the powerful guy in the sky will see and then no matter what, when you die he'll punish you for it and there's nothing you can do about it
>>Oh...well I won't kill him then

[Fedora-Tipping Intensifies], etc, but you get the idea. Stupid people NEED to be lied to for their own good, that's how we keep functioning as a race, society, civilization, whatever.
>>
>>385405686
How does that make her evil?
>>
>>385405513
Simon isn't a moron. He's a regular guy who was undergoing a medical procedure and suddenly ends up in a future with all weird shit going around him. From his perspective all the events of the game take place within one day. It's an out of context problem and he has to deal with it RIGHT NOW without taking time to take a metaphorical breath and think about it
>>
>>385405681
I understand the point you're making, I really do, but you're wrong.

Having some worthless flashbacks is not the same as having memory. The game is essentially you playing memories until you get to the last body, because that's exactly how the last body feels it.
>>
>>385403872
how do you know it can't be transferred

I mean know, not some opinion
>>
>>385406018
>heavily overestimates their ability to cope

Nigga you portal even an average /v/irgin into an alternate reality with dragons and shit, they'll be asking what ingredients are used to brew health-potions and memorizing the elemental weaknesses of Basilisk before the week is out.

Some people are adaptable, some people aren't. Simon is stupid, un-adaptable, and so far out of his depth he basically chucklefucks his way through the game on pure luck and Catherine's directions. The dude probably an hero'd fifteen minutes after the ARK launch.
>>
>>385403406
>He spoiler
KILL YOURSELF!
>>
>>385405686
No, you dumbass.
>>
>>385404427
about 250 after conversion
>>
>>385406018
He didn't even get it with the battery scene, which might as well have been a powerpoint presentation

he's a moron
>>
File: 1491592285031.jpg (184KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1491592285031.jpg
184KB, 600x600px
>>385406232
>m'lady: the post

you could not have given a more sperg reply
>>
One of the big themes of the game is how people keep lying to themselves both consciously and unconsciously. Simon has probably suspected what's going to happen with the Ark, same as with his body true nature but he kept ignoring hoping for the best
>>
>>385406252
Should've stopped at "Can someone summarize SOMAs story.". Your own fault for not stopping there.
>>
>>385406227
consciousness is just your physical brain interpreting stimuli and internalizing insights. Your sense of 'self' your 'soul' is tied entirely to your brain.

This is known as a fact.

What proof do you have that there is a soul or abstract metaphysical existence that exists outside of this dimension?
>>
>>385406227
Because consciousness is hardwired, not mystical or incorporeal. We know as fact that memories and self is just recorded information on neurons in our brain, meaning you can't just drag that information around and certainly couldn't transmit it wholesale because it is hardwired into us. You could copy and send the information, as they show in the game, but that just creates a duplicate, not actually transfers your current consciousness.

Last I checked, the only agreed-upon scientific method to actually put your real-current-non-copied consciousness into a computer is to slowly replace parts of your brain, one at a time, with technological equivalents. Because the brain does actually store information in multiple places, akin to having backups, you would basically need to slowly lobotomize a person, synergize their brain with tech, let the information naturally copy onto the new tech-part, replace another part, let that part update,etc etc, until the entire brain was replaced. Even then there's the real argument that you would lose memories/parts of your self in the process, and its entirely theoretical because there's no way to actually 'do' that right now.

But yeah, you can't just transmit yourself through a computer. Literally impossible as defined by the laws of physics, energy and universe.
>>
>>385406227
It's more natural and reasonable to ask it the other way: how do you know it can be transferred? And stop being stupid: nobody knows, not until that tech will be possible, if possible at all, but there are more than enough reasons to say that you can't transfer consciousness without duplicating it just because of the very fact that we are biological creatures and in order to transfer consciousness we would need to somehow digitize a physical object into something a computer can read. That's impossible, you can't transfer physical object into virtual reality. You can probably transfer energy from physical object to computer in order to simulate it in virtual reality, but if you're transfering energy then you effectively destroyed the object in the process in order to harness it.
>>
>he doesn't want his consciousness downloaded into the strongest and most capable platform available
>>
File: 1395968604321.png (70KB, 243x200px) Image search: [Google]
1395968604321.png
70KB, 243x200px
>>385406373
>calling Simon a retard is somehow defending Catherine

They're both unlikeable cunts you double-nigger. Catherine is just a smarter unlikeable cunt who tricks a stupid unlikeable cunt into saving some remnants of humanity, and then they both remain unlikeable cunts for all eternity on the bottom of the ocean, hating eachother.
>>
>>385404995
>>385405308
>>385405681
buddy, you're being foolish.
>I get why they didn't, obviously, but its still a cheat.
you're bothered by a complete non-issue: that the story doesn't cater to the particular way you want such a story to be depicted.

>No, my point was more that the game is a cheat by flipping perspectives. If you wanted to be accurate, gameplay should've either
>A) Continued on from the first scan and you die of cancer
>B) Started from waking up in the labs after a video representing your memories and continuing straight past your second duplication when another character decides whether he kills you or leaves you in a chair
>C) Starts with you waking up in the super-suit after a video of you memories, you decide whether or not to kill your duplicate, etc, or
>D) Starts on the Ark after a video of your memories etc etc
>I get that from a gameplay perspective that wouldn't work,
you somehow understand that none of those scenarios would be as good of a game as what we got, but are still upset that they "cheated" by making an entertaining and sellable game instead of one of four segments of a game
>>
>>385403406
https://youtu.be/pdxucpPq6Lc

This is a pretty good summary
>>
>>385405167
You're not understanding at all.

He WAS simon up until the brain scan. because simon was just one person. then he got his brain scanned and all subsequent versions effectively are his consciousness being deployed again

The scans of his brain believes they are simon by default because they WERE.

They don't just THINK they are simon there are.
Obviously not in a literal sense, that simon died long before. but for all intents and purposes they are a continuation of him up until that point.
>>
>>385408452
Listen, moron. Creating a copy of you don't make another you. It makes something similar to you, but not another you. You're so fucking lost in your own abstractions that you've forgotten that the abstractions aren't real; only what they're trying to symbolize is. That you might be too retarded to understand that your internal model of the world is incongruent with the world itself doesn't fuck warp it into what you want it to be like you're in a webcomic. It just makes you wrong.
>>
>>385404701

>wait a couple hundred years

Given Simon MK2's likely mental state when he wakes up, what on earth makes you think he'd survive a year locked in a box, let alone a hundred?
>>
>>385405745
WaU at least is intelligent, there's no guarantee intelligent life on earth will ever evolve again naturally.
>>
>>385410563

It's not intelligent though

It's a machine with a single directive trying to blindly complete that directive
>>
>>385410673
It's capable of adaptation and ingenuity.

In effect a human being is nothing more than a biological machine attempting to pass along genes, everything we call culture and civilization are just adaptations better enabling that overall process.
>>
>>385410840

Ingenuity?

It's going through trial and error at best

Neither of those things mark intelligence anyway
>>
One of the greatest things about this game and WaU is how WaU, a digital intelligence, realizes its own presence in the physical world.
>>
>>385403640
Not her fault everyone is an idiot besides her.
>>
>>385403205
Simon was a dumbass nigger in this scene he could have easily inferred what would happen. His freakout is a bit ridiculous too, like suppose that the old copy died instantly as the new one was created, how would that be any different from the "transferal" he was totally okay with?

He's a fucking retard sometimes, what an accurate depiction of someone form Toronto
>>
>>385411179

>Brain damage

or alternatively

>better to have it explained to the player because players are retarded
>>
>>385411242
>better to have it explained to the player because players are retarded
Probably a fair point
>>
>>385410938
There are people in this thread - RIGHT NOW - that killed the WaU when it was literally responsible for saving humanity.
>>
>>385411510

Humanity is dead anon

There's nothing to be saved
>>
File: 1498629469680.jpg (165KB, 870x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1498629469680.jpg
165KB, 870x1080px
>>385403841
>Is this game spooky?
it was the first horror game I ever played (used to be a giant pussy such as yourself) and I felt it was alright in terms of scariness
there are a couple of moments throughout the game that will get your adrenaline flowing like nothing else, but other than that it focuses more on stuff like psychological horror than real, physical horror

also if you end up playing SOMA and like it, I'd recommend playing through the dead space series for another fix of good sci-fi horror
>>
>>385403969
It's not written anywhere.
What game?
>>
>>385403872
There is no transferral. The coin flip the lady talks about is a lie made to comfort the protag.

There is no coinflip when the guy is transferred into the ark. The guy who activiates it is left behind, and another, identical guy is created to live on the ark.
>>
>>385414315
See >>385403406
>>385403827
>>385404574
>>385406454
>>
>>385403509
Just learned the name, looked up a few Screens. Getting it now :) Thanks SOMA fans.
>>
THEY ARE NOT US ANON. YOU LIED TO ME ANON. FUCK YOU AND FUCK YOUR MARKER
>>
>mfw you discover the reason the Ark Team did not launch the thing is because they feared the debris and shit polluting the atmosphere would damage it

What a bunch of bullshit. You either launch the thing or you do not. What is good about waiting around and starve to death?
Thread posts: 145
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.