[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

To few of us over 30: could you have imagined, back in the late

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 102
Thread images: 20

File: DFyHiS-U0AAGIgB.jpg large.jpg (161KB, 960x1280px) Image search: [Google]
DFyHiS-U0AAGIgB.jpg large.jpg
161KB, 960x1280px
To few of us over 30:

could you have imagined, back in the late 90s, playing infinity engine RPGs, Quake, Syndicate, Heroes 3...

That video games will turn into such absolute shit in every possible aspect? Best you can get today is a semi competent rehash of an old franchise. ZERO fucking advancement on ANY front.
>>
I didn't really PC game in the 90's, but I can agree.
>>
>>385393652
>mfw I enjoy video games I like
dunno bout you anon, feels good
>>
>>385393652
I'm 21 and I've always felt the same.
>>
>browsing /v/ over 30 at 1 am
wewlad
>>
It's all because of the lack of ethics in videogame journalism
>>
>inb4 18yo here but totally feel the same way xDD
>>
Yup, don't forget mechwarrior, wing commander and x-wing
>>
I feel like with the death of AAA gaming and Japanese games are on the rise again things are going to be okay. Things were pretty shitty for about 15 years, but I never gave up hope and still enjoyed what few good games I could find within that time.
>>
>>385393652
Is he stroking his dick again?
>>
>>385394117
Too late, dumbass.
>>
God, gen-X'ers are so pathetic. Go watch your Top 10 ____ videos and circlejerk on Reddit about the good old days when you were an ignorant child.
>>
File: todd&howard.jpg (21KB, 336x347px) Image search: [Google]
todd&howard.jpg
21KB, 336x347px
>>385393652
Could you have imagined, back in the late 90's, that people would need to wait more than a decade to play Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim on the Nintendo WiiU?
>>
>>385393652

I haven't PCd since the 90s, so there much be some accuracy here.
>>
>>385393652
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8-vHp86aEo
Yes
>>
>>385393652
angry joe needs to put down the cookies
>>
File: pobrane.jpg (15KB, 246x205px) Image search: [Google]
pobrane.jpg
15KB, 246x205px
what are you guys waiting for?
>>
>>385394223
>30s
>Gen-X
Pick one
>>
As someone in his early 30s that just had his women walk on him too. I feel bad fore Phil even if he is an asshole
>>
File: 1500494042979.jpg (61KB, 708x548px) Image search: [Google]
1500494042979.jpg
61KB, 708x548px
Do you guys own a computer?
>>
File: meh.png (360KB, 807x272px) Image search: [Google]
meh.png
360KB, 807x272px
>>385393652

25 year old anon who been browing /v/ since 2008...

never even watched one of these dudes videos until today. you people are fucking betas. go troll on /pol/ at least ffs
>>
File: 1281513824303.png (12KB, 468x425px) Image search: [Google]
1281513824303.png
12KB, 468x425px
>>385394416

Stop it this game kept me up all night
>>
File: 1428321784637.gif (2MB, 480x292px) Image search: [Google]
1428321784637.gif
2MB, 480x292px
Itt: underage morons saying they not underage.
>>
>>385394223
Anyone between 18 and 35 is a millennial, retard.
>>
>>385393652
As a kid it seemed like games were on the path to getting better and better. Squaresoft was hitting one home run after another and were untouchable. Modern Square-Enix is just like looking at your dog who can't even walk anymore and is rotting from the inside out. You just want to put him out of his misery.
>>
>>385393652
What kind of advancement are you looking for? Honest question.
>>
>>385394780
How about the rapid evolution of both gameplay and graphics that was happening all throughout the 90s? Both of those things have pretty much stalled during the past 15 years or so. PS4 games are almost indistinguishable form PS3 games.
>>
>>385393652
i hate to say it my pewdiebros, but this guy fucks
>>
What are you on? Games are fucking awesome now.
>>
>>385395084
reported for underage posting
>>
>>385393652
Late 30s here, I think VR is pretty impressive despite being in its infancy. It's like something you'd only get from a visit to Epcot but in your home.
>>
>>385395170
>a visit to Epcot
So you mean a boring waste of time.
>>
>>385393652
I don't think it's as bad as you make it sound

When you look back on your childhood and remember all the great games, for starters, many of those were mediocre. They only looked good back then because you lacked a good basis for comparison. Kids typically have poor taste for this reason. When you've experienced, so little, what's merely average might seem much better because you just haven't experienced the truly great yet

For those games that were actually good, you're also compressing a ton of them over probably a decade into a small window. I mean, when I think of SNES games, I'm basically thinking of games that came out between 1992 and 1998. That's a huge window. Perhaps even bigger back then than it would be now relatively because games take longer to make now. If you were to look at 2011 to 2017, you'd have a similar amount of good games

And you're not focusing on the bad ones either. The focus on /v/ is how shit everything is, but tons of shit games released back then too. You just didn't have a board dedicated to bitching about them

Finally, I have to say, I played Quake 2 (and its mods like loki's CTF) more than anything back then and I loved the shit out of multiplayer, but these days I can't force myself to enjoy a multiplayer game. And it's not because the games are bad, it's just I've grown out. Seeing who wins in a purely competitive match-based game is about as entertaining as watching paint dry. I simply do not care. If you're bored of MP, try some single player games, and diversify your palette. There are plenty of great SP games that came out this year alone and you're missing out if you only care about who wins in an online pissing contest for 14 year olds
>>
>>385393652
Back in the day you had demo versions of games that were longer and hat more content than full games nowadays.
Games back then had actual level design and not just hold the W key + left mouse button to get thourgh the level and kill every enemy.
Back then we had Party based CRPGs with a propper 6-man party and not just a dumbed down 4 man party.
We had actual adventure games with puzzles and witty dialogue and not just walking simulators and movie-games.
>>
File: 1470957586335.jpg (83KB, 798x784px) Image search: [Google]
1470957586335.jpg
83KB, 798x784px
>>385394882
>PS4 games are almost indistinguishable form PS3 games

Is this nigga serious?
>>
>>385395158
Enjoy your ban sir fagalot
>>
>>385395221
It's been awhile for me. The last time I was there they were demoing Mario 64.
>>
File: snes-mini.jpg (355KB, 1338x947px) Image search: [Google]
snes-mini.jpg
355KB, 1338x947px
>>385395232
None of these games are mediocre and this is a good sampling of the actual games I played (or wanted to play) when I was a kid. I also rented my fair share of shitty games, but I could tell even then that they were bad.
>>
>>385395310
Well hes not wrong
>>
33 years here, I disagree. I too have nostalgic feelings for games,and games - especially PC games, were the best for me between 1990-2000, but again, that's a lot of nostalgia. The market never had so many diverse titles as it has today, and if you look at it objectively it is the best time ever to be a gamer. Unfortunately, having a job, a wife, some kids and the like prevents you from pursuing it as much as you could back then.
>>
>>385395310
He's right honestly, mechanically and control-wise video games simply have not made the sort of jump they have with previous generations. They just feel like an extension of PS3/360 games (Once you throw away the open world meme, microtransaction shit, and 'rpg elements' that are invading all games, at least).
>>
IF your "good old games" are so good, why are you playing our modern games right instead of those? Must not be so shitty after all.
>>
>>385395310
Look at the jump from NES to SNES, or hell SNES to N64.

Now look at PS3 to PS4. There's so similar many games were released for both consoles at the same time and you can barely tell a difference.
>>
>>385394732
Square is the worst example IMO. Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy were created as Wizardry/Ultima-like games but more accesible. It wasn´t until the FFVII success that Square started to be experimental, really, even when FFII is considered experimental at the end became a prototype for the SaGa series and Mana was their approach to the not-turn based RPG. With the PSone, some of their games were actually a commercial success like Parasite Eve but others were failure, like Xenogears. When Sakaguchi jumped the shark with Spirits Within, he fucked up, at least commercially.

Square wasn't brilliant, they just sticked to safe games between FFI and FFVII, then they started to do actual creative games but at the end, Square fucked up. Everything since FFX is just a consequence that they don't know what to do, sometimes it turns out a success but usually is just another failure and in the last 10 years, they had more failures than sucess. Square has been the same for at least 20 years.
>>
>>385395713
But I'm not. The only modern games I play are first party nintendo games because they're the only developer that hasn't lost their magic yet.
>>
>>385395470
I could tear apart so many of these

Think about it this way. What was your first RPG. FF2? When you played FF2, you had nothing to compare it to. If you just recently played FFXV, you have like a gazillion different games to compare it to. This is where taste comes from. Unfortunately video games aren't as easy to make as different types of food, so you can only pick from a very limited assortment. If they don't have exactly what you want, you're out of luck, and either need to do something else or accept that things aren't perfect
>>
Surely this is exagger-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejeIT0MBSac
>>
File: 1497303961462.jpg (226KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
1497303961462.jpg
226KB, 600x800px
>>385393652
Games are better now faggot, kys.
>>
>>385395796
>This is where taste comes from
No, taste comes from an innate ability to judge things and separate the good from the bad. Some people just have good taste, other people just have bad taste. It has little to do with what's come before in that same specific medium or genre.
>>
>>385393652
Its fucking exhausting, the only good shit has been from indies, most AAA games are ho hum and can't risk doing anything interesting. E3 slowly got worse as i watched it year to year, then it became a joke around 2013 and now it sickens me. Fuck AAA, at least nintendo hasn't fallen in quality as far as the rest.
>>
>>385395232
This guy gets it.

I can't people still try to pass off Goldeneye as anything remotely tolerable.

People think they've completely decimated your argument that good games still come out because Deus Ex and Silent Hill exist. You think Bloodborne is anything close to good look at all the fucking words in Planescape:Wordsment you little baby.

I agree regarding multilayer as well. I used to be all about it. I lived on GameSpy Arcade and Battle.net. Ironically when online multilayer really got big I wasn't very interested. Play a round of Gears every now and then though.
>>
File: MGS VI The White Horse ending.jpg (154KB, 1596x900px) Image search: [Google]
MGS VI The White Horse ending.jpg
154KB, 1596x900px
>>385394780
TECHNOLOGY
aka interactivity
better AI
AAA games pushing the envelope

basically this is impossible today because games have moved to being skinner boxes for the millenial crowd and are designed around gambling mechanics aimed at children and other vulnerable groups.

Jack Thompson was completely right, video games are extremely harmful form of entertainment, only he did not realize in which way.

>>385395170
>infancy

Nigger I used VR helmets for cheap in shopping mall in 1992

>>385395232
This is completely untrue and you need look no further than the decline of FPS genre to see how much worse the level design, ai, gunplay, interactivity is.
>>
>>385395793
You sound like a legit retard, Nintendo lost their magic in the early GC days. Everything since has been complete garbage, and most of the quality GC titles were actually just Sega games.
>>
File: night_trap.png (223KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
night_trap.png
223KB, 480x360px
90% of everything is crap. always has been and always will be.

for every quake or baldurs gate we had ten shovelware pieces of turds like this shit
>>
>>385395775
>It wasn´t until the FFVII success that Square started to be experimental
I really disagree. I think FF7's success has done nothing but make them chase after that. FF1-6 were hugely varied games. FF7+ are just iterations of FF7: cinematic, style-over-substance, angsty bishounens in a more sci-fi-than-fantasy setting.
>>
File: botwscores-600x450.jpg (95KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
botwscores-600x450.jpg
95KB, 600x450px
>>385396048
Get a load of this guy
>>
Surely this is only nostalgia speak-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlgsmZHVXt4
>>
>>385395935
Name 120 good games that came out in the last two years.
>>
>>385394665
Wrong, it's 26 plus now, GenZ is below 26
>>
>>385394025
Yuo were born in le rong generayshon xd
>>
>>385396128
>paidreviews.jpg
>>
File: skeleton computer.png (133KB, 808x637px) Image search: [Google]
skeleton computer.png
133KB, 808x637px
>>385394048
It's 4 am where i live.
>>
>>385396250
Very original. I think you may just be the first person whose said that to me.
>>
>>385393652
These are just western games. But you're probably a PCucc
>>
>>385396128
>BotW
>good
It's literally just MGSV all over again, except this time nobody was expecting a worthwhile story because it's made for kids.

The TECHNOLOGY is impressive, but most of it is unintended or unnecessary for either beating the game or 100%. I got tired after about 40 shrines, and while it was an enjoyable experience, I still wouldn't even put it above Wind Waker.
>>
>>385393652
Are you retarded?
I would have fucking shat myself if I had these games back then.

Games today suck specifically because they don't do better. But if it's the first games you play, it'd blow your mind.
>>
>>385395232
>For those games that were actually good, you're also compressing a ton of them over probably a decade into a small window. I mean, when I think of SNES games, I'm basically thinking of games that came out between 1992 and 1998. That's a huge window.

It is widely accepted that golden age of video games starts with Quake and ends with Bloodlines.
>>
>>385394048
you will too, anon
>>
>>385395938
>innate ability to judge things and separate the good from the bad
Good and bad are relative.

If Battletoads is the only game you've ever played, it's the best game you've ever played. It's incidentally the worst game you've ever played, but chances are high you had a love/hate relationship with your first game. Your next game stacks up against Battletoads, and your 3rd game stacks up against those 2.

By the time you've played 500 games, the chances of it being the best game you've ever played is almost zero. Not even a good chance it ranks in the upper third.

This is literally how it works and why you're so jaded
>>
>>385396381
>But if it's the first games you play, it'd blow your mind.

How is having limited perspective relative to the argument?
>>
>infinity engine RPGs
>"turn into" absolute shit
The sooner we realize that the late 90s was the beginning of absolute shit in gaming, the better. Baldur's Gate and its ilk were poorly done, style over substance, story-heavy WORDS WORDS WORDS bullshit with wonky, poorly done combat.

No idea how people are so nostalgic for that shit.
>>
>>385396246
Nobody defines the millennial generation as ending in the early 90s. The narrowest defintion is 1982-1996, but most people would agree that it includes everyone born in the 90s. Official census statistics use 1982-2000, so that would be anyone between 17 and 35.
>>
>>385394882
Graphics have an actual computational reason. The graphical quality progression is not linear, is more like logarithmic so at the end, you need more power to display barely more polygons and effects.

Gameplay is weird, really. For example, Wizardry series is pretty old but has some pretty complex mechanics compared with FF or DQ, some japanese games try to do something similar or even expand the Wizardry ideas but those games sell poorly, there is no motivation to make something better than Wizardry. In other hand, old sport games used to be simple, some were shit but others were pretty fun, during the 90s and early 00s a lot of sports games with crazy gameplay mechanics were released but then EA killed the sports genre. The same could be said about racing games. Again, everything is about sales.
2D plataformers have never died and honestly, is probably the only genre that has expanded over the years. Has a fuckton of subgenres, like Metroidvanias, arcade Run&Gun games like Contra and Metal Slug, action platformers like Mega Man, puzzle platformers and the indie community is expanding platformers even more, obviously a lot of them are uninspired ripoffs but we know have a lot of gems. Anyway, you can analize the timeline for every genre, not all of them are dead and in the case like RPGs you have to look the obscure and old stuff to enjoy it again.
>>
>>385396494
Compare something like Planescape to a title like Witcher 3, though. One is an interesting romp through a colorful world where reality can be changed by a thought, and the other is a lame pastiche of fantasy tropes with some elves and magic thrown in. In both games, you play as a fucking demi-god, except one actually has a price to pay for his actions, and the other is just beloved by all and can never do any wrong.

There's nothing wrong with WORDS, when they're written by someone competent. But The Witcher series is nothing but juvenile fantasy with awful waifubait characters. The problem is that games are made for money, which means they only appeal to the hollywood crowd who think GoT is getting better every season. Game development is easier than ever, and yet there's no arthouse games being made, just student film projects and hollywood blockbusters.
>>
>>385396439
You don't develop your sense of taste just by playing more video games. You develop it from experiencing life and other forms of art. In fact, if all you've done is spent your life focused on playing video games and little of anything else, that pretty much guarantees you're going to have shitty taste.
>>
>>385393652
Those tits. He's growing stronger.
>>
>>385395793
Are you dating Dee?
>>
File: defective mode.webm (3MB, 852x480px) Image search: [Google]
defective mode.webm
3MB, 852x480px
>>385396664
RPG is one of the few genres that isn't dead, but that is due to indies like Underrail and Age of Decadence, Obsidian shat in the bucket. Talking about wRPG of course.

RTS is dead
FPS is dead
TPS is dead as a dodo (not talking about popularity, just look at that horrible PUBG mess, a shitty buggy piece of fucking shit)
Flight Sim - dead
Brawlers - dead except for Yakuza series which is sort of a soap opera in its own bubble
JRPG - alive
Adventure games - pretty much on the upswing
Metroidvanias - alive
Monster Hunter is due to a horrific westernized bastardization

etc etc

The downswing is immense. Nintendo is locking hard mode behind pieces of plastic. And that is tamed compared to what western devs are doing with microtransactions.

>>385396876
>Witcher 3

Here's all someone unfamiliar needs to know about that game. Same applies to their upcoming title.

Witcher series is the incremental decline of Gothic series.
>>
>>385396876
But both Planescape and Witcher 3 are WORDS WORDS WORDS bullshit pseudo-games. If I wanted a story, I'd read a book.

Gaming started declining when pretentious fucking frustrated writers decided to infiltrate it and ruin games by shoehorning in thousands of hours of fucking words from their fucking failed novel they've been trying to write for years. Sure, there was some of that shit back then, but it was nowhere near as fucking widespread as it began to be around that time.
>>
>>385397183
Good thing you have no idea about Betrayal at Krondor, you fucking degenerate muppet plebeian.
>>
>>385397183
I'd kill to have failed novelists writing games these days. Instead, the best you can hope for are failed fanfiction writers, people who can't string 2 words together.

Writing in the gaming industry right now is unironically worse than the completely uninspired, self-pleasuring Japanese LN market, where such fantastic concepts as "random 15 year old kid goes to a new world with his smartphone, and get buffed by god to be perfect at everything and the best mage the world has ever seen" are commonplace, and even popular enough to get animated.
>>
>>385397402
It's not that bad outside of mainstream. Undertale was excellent, Age of Decadence is good, Thimbleweed Park as well, Kathy Rain was decent, Pyre is decent etc.
>>
>>385397183
>Sure, there was some of that shit back then, but it was nowhere near as fucking widespread as it began to be around that time.
yeah, like zillion text adventures. you're full of shit
>>
>>385395232
>>385395470
I have seen this exact discussion and reply before. This is all copypasta, right? Deja-fuckingVu?
Someone tell it is, please.
>>
>>385396904
Of course, you're comparing experiences to other experiences

But kids are not rich on experiences. Most of them think mac and cheese is the best dishes there is, one of the blandest things you can eat. Many kids outgrow that but some become adults who still think it's incredible

You sound like you have yet to objectively look at your childhood favorite games through non-rosetinted glasses. I can rarely even play old games these days because of all the flaws I start picking up on. I'd prefer to remember them the way I played them and not see them how they really are
>>
>>385397667
>Undertale was excellent,
Stopped reading here, you absolute fucking child. I hope you get put inside a bronze bull.
>>
>>385394048
34 here and it is 3:20 am and i'm at work browsing /v/ at my job making more than you ever will. Your point is retarded.
>>
>>385398028
It's a fantastic game, from the writing, art design and gameplay standpoint. your mind is just stunted.
>>
>>385397910
The universe has been expanding and collapsing on itself for all of eternity. You've seen it before because it's happened before. I've typed this before. I'm typing it now. And I'm going to type it again. For the rest of forever.
>>
>>385398253
I get that it was the first game you played for more than 2 hours, but have you really never read something that wasn't "the very hungry caterpillar" or a school textbook before?

The only element of that game anyone could consider "good" is the music, which has a few above average ditties.
>>
>>385395221
You uncultured ignorant piece of shit. Epcot was awsome even as a 10 year old to me. You should be happy now that they're plastering their characters all over the place and destroy what was once shining example of edutainment.
>>
>>385398472
Epcot is nothing more than a cluster of feigned multicultural shopping kiosks, the only memorable thing being the gigantic ball that provided a hilariously dated view of what the world might be like 20 years ago. It's easily the worst Disney park
>>
File: 5p1stCj.jpg (93KB, 950x1076px) Image search: [Google]
5p1stCj.jpg
93KB, 950x1076px
>>385393652
Yea, it was kinda predictable... just turned 29 though
>>
File: 1501160969641.jpg (8KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
1501160969641.jpg
8KB, 480x360px
>>385399064
Where does pic related fit in?
>>
>>385396246
Most demographers end it in the mid 90s actually. Making the youngest millennials around 22. The only age range they agree is 100% millennial is anyone born from 1986 to 1990 (currently late 20s/early 30s)
>>
>>385397667
As much as I liked timbleweed, the story was extremelly cringy.

Its literally a story about nothing. At the begining it feels like its going somewhere but then goes "omg its just a game lol!".

The story is literally "a videogame about characters being in a videogame".
>>
>>385399238

I don't understand why those vague inaccurate generational terms are even a thing. They're meaningless. It just gives a name so they can use it as a boogeyman that's supposedly ruining everything for them
>>
>>385393652

I'll be 30 next march, and have been losing weight for over a year now and just passed over a 100 pounds lost recently after being a fat fuck for the past 10 years. I still enjoy a lot of video games despite growing up wiith my first console being the NES, before very shortly moving on to the SNES and Genesis.

Will I be as miserable as OP at 30?
>>
File: 1348182022277.jpg (21KB, 470x336px) Image search: [Google]
1348182022277.jpg
21KB, 470x336px
>>385393652

>mfw steam got released

I knew back then this was shit, especially due to how Half-Life and my other mods had to pass through steam first. The second steam was created is the second the downfall began for vidya
>>
I still enjoy video games. It's good to not be a nostalgiafag.
>>
>>385393652
goddamn i've been playing games since the Dragon 32, and they're still awesome to me.

Also, that moment when you realised you quite like DSP
>>
>>385396058
Yep. It's easier to forget about the bad stuff so you look to the past with the nice nostalgia glasses filter.
Thread posts: 102
Thread images: 20

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.