[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>beat OOT for the first time on a mac emulator with a sub

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 110
Thread images: 17

File: Majora1.jpg (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Majora1.jpg
2MB, 1920x1080px
>beat OOT for the first time on a mac emulator with a sub 30 fps limit when I was 14
>enjoy it
>play majora on the same emulator
>lens of truth doesn't work so im unable to progress
>buy the 3ds port to give it another go
so what exactly does this port change anyways
>>
The bosses are way better.

They even took a boss fight that was pure spectacle and turned it into a legit fight. Also general streamlining and inventory management with the second screen. People like to cry about "muh atmosphere" but they're just being pissbabies who can't stand that someone made it look decent.

Its the objectively definitave version.
>>
File: 1466119319660.png (33KB, 137x251px) Image search: [Google]
1466119319660.png
33KB, 137x251px
>>385368932
>that opinion
>"pissbabies"
Oh lawd, this bait
>>
Ruins the atmosphere
>>
>>385368535
Ruins the atmosphere (the main selling point of the game)

Makes the boss fights better (who cares)
>>
>>385368535
>when i was 14
u still as tight as u were back then?
>>
For people who played the N64 release of MM, they can look at the 3DS version and tell something is off about it. But, it's really hard to pinpoint exactly what that is. Most people will say it's ''atmosphere'' but that is such a hard word to define since it's made up of so many different elements all put together.
The 3DS version plays better, looks better, arguably sounds better too and has an overall better layout with a lot more helpful tools for the player to keep track of side-quests and shit. But, I still prefer the original because of the aforementioned atmosphere issue.
If this is your first time playing MM, you'll probably prefer the 3DS version and it's possible it is the definitive version from an objective standpoint. But, the original has something the 3DS version lacks and that can only be experienced through playing it.
Take that as you will.
>>
>>385369546
I don't think that's an unfair assessment. Looking at gameplay of the original N64 version the lighting is a lot darker in certain areas, and the updated models seem a lot friendlier, if that makes any sense
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzF91kW_XWs
Still, i'm having fun. Just got to the swamp dungeon
>>
>>385369546
Yeah faggot that 'something' is called NOSTALGIA

[Spoiler]And Majora's Mask is my favorite Zelda game to date[/spoiler]
>>
>speeds up time by 1/5th making the game harder in some specific ways.
>you now have to save manually rather than play Song of Time but it remains the same fundamentally.
>Zora swimming was improved by the ability to suspend yourself in place, rapidly descend or rise, and swim at a leisurely pace.
>all the bosses were changed to be more automated and less free.

The only downside of the 3DS version is the last point. Don't let anyone else tell you otherwise.
>>
>>385368535
>so what exactly does this port change anyways
Everything.

-Bomber's notebook is GIVEN to you for free the moment ya move back in time the 1st time.
-Said Notebook marks almost every single character now, and shows VERY detailed daily activities. Also makes beeping noises whenever something's about to happen.
-Zora swimming is now shit, and saps magic.
-Deku swirling lacks the speed boost feature and is in general more difficult to use right.
-All bosses have now a magical eye weakspot you gotta dig out and attack, and other similar boss-related fuck ups.
-Way more forgiving and easily available save-system and location of things in general.

tl;dr: it's shit. Just get a better emu; P64 has always worked fine for me.
>>
>>385370651
This guy is full of shit.

The Zora swimming only uses magic when you boost but you can still boost when you run out. And nothing was changed about the Deku spinning other than you can no longer boost off the edge, but have to run for some momentum. The notebook also isn't as annoying as he says.
>>
>>385368535

heh, same thing happened to me.

>>385370651
this guy is such a tryhard fag wow hahaha
>>
>>385371087
>>385371303
Nah, you two are full of shit and apologizers.
It's widely accepted that the 3DS port is a major downgrade. And making one of the more fun features of the game, the Zora swimming & dolphin jumps, practically unusable now, is just unforgivable.
>>
File: 1236789245.jpg (68KB, 688x712px) Image search: [Google]
1236789245.jpg
68KB, 688x712px
>>385371303
>this guy is such a tryhard fag wow hahaha
>>
>>385369239
>Goht
>have to now come to a complete fucking stop to shoot a eyeball that just fucking appears
>better
The only one remotely improved is Gyorg though I still hate how zora swimming was changed.
>>
>Ruined the lighting
>Ruined the Moon
>Ruined the Zora Swimming Controls
>Ruined the Bosses by making them all big glowing eyeballs
>Ruined the Twinmold Fight completely and replaced it with quick-time-event bullshit

Is this even a question? Aside from some of the models and textures being improved, there's practically no reason to play the 3DS version.
>>
>>385368535
the bosses take like five times more busywork in order to beat
the visuals are a little bit uglier
the zora controls are fucked up in like twenty new ways, people rarely mention the context button shit for when you go into walking mode
>>
>>385369546
>But, it's really hard to pinpoint exactly what that is
The textures are brighter and cheerier
Due to added details like the revamp of South Clocktown make the game feel less 'empty'

It's a good game and I like how they changed the time system so you no longer have to wait by every Anju and Kafei quest but you can tell what feels off.
>>
>>385371610
Gyorg isn't better. It's worse. The eyeball shit changes nothing except make the boss easier and looks dumb.
The only boss battle that could be described as better is the Twinmold battle, where the Giant's Mask actually feels powerful and magic, instead of just making Link bigger. You can do new shit with it, which is neat. Though, I do think that some of the moves are a bit much.
>>
>>385370263
>can't spoiler correctly
>calling other people faggots
kek
>>
/mu/tant here. Majora's Mask on the N64 is like listening to Burzum on vinyl, while 3DS is like listening to Burzum via Spotify. It sure is more convenient and accessible, but something is lost in the process.
>>
>>385371951
go back to your weed crib, fucking asstard
>>
>>385368535

Changes a lot. It ruins the bosses, the Zora swimming, and the atmosphere in a lot of areas.
>>
>>385372081
I've never smoked weed and don't plan on starting.
>>
>>385371951
>muh weed 420
what are you doing out of your containment board?
>>
N64 original versions are the only right way of playing these Zelda titles, if for nothing else than for NOT having to stare those 2" 240p screens.
>>
>>385371357
>MUH WIDELY ACCEPTED
>/v/-exclusive memes represent the majority opinion online
lol

And you're just making it obvious how you never played the game at all.
>>
>>385373575
>Y-YOU DIDN'T EVEN PLAY TEH GAEM, DIDNT U!?
one of the most pathetic meme "arguments" to be spawned in the past couple years. Are you by any chance a Bethesda-fag?
>>
>>385371357
>It's widely accepted that the 3DS port is a major downgrade
In your imaginary fantasy land where everyone shares your opinion, maybe.
>>
>>385368932
>definitave

3ds version, not even once.
>>
File: IMG_7743.jpg (580KB, 1024x1563px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7743.jpg
580KB, 1024x1563px
>3ds version
>redo all bosses except majora
My only real gripe, it could have been done the way it was meant to be
>>
>>385368932
>definitave
Almost had me.
>>
File: 1471661767545.png (122KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1471661767545.png
122KB, 1200x1200px
>>
>>385368535

3DS is a fine way to play the game. There is nothing terrible about the remake. On a scale of 1 to 10 with 1 being the Silent Hill remakes and 10 being the Resident Evil 1 Remake on the GC, the 3DS version of MM is around a 7. I wish they would have put it on a console instead of a handheld, but being able to play wherever I want is nice too. There are some slight atmosphere changes that come with the updated textures and lighting, but your still going to play a great game.
>>
>>385368535
>sub 30 fps

so did everyone, the game and Majora's Mask run at 20 fps on console and 17 for PAL versions
>>
>>385368535
It's literally a worse version.
>>
>>385371632
>there's practically no reason to play the 3DS version
but what if a nigger stole my N64 and I didn't want to shell out hundreds of dollars for somebody else's sloppy seconds?
>inb4 emulator
not authentic, I'm not going to get cucked by a poorly encoded n64 emulator
>>
File: i am loose.png (126KB, 500x373px) Image search: [Google]
i am loose.png
126KB, 500x373px
>>385368535
>with a sub 30 fps limit
yeah, no shit you cunt hair, the game doesn't even hit it
>>
>>385368932
>They even took a boss fight that was pure spectacle and turned it into a legit fight.

That's why it's shit. Every fight is a legit fight, so the occasional spectacle is what made the original better.
>>
>>385368535
>he actually needs the lens of truth

You mean you havent opened your mind so you can see the unseen yet? Wow, what a scrub.
>>
>>385371357
>Widely-accepted

My ass is widely-accepted.
>>
>>385368932
this man speaks lies
>>
>>385368932
Playing through it right now and so far its a pretty solid remake but there's something about the coloring that feels missing. It could be because of playing on a smaller screen though
>>
File: 1501144168486.png (973KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1501144168486.png
973KB, 1024x1024px
>>385377330
Holy shit I've always wondered where the full image of that was. Thanks bro you really helped a nigga out
>>
>>385368535
the bombers notebook is way too helpful, they swapped the stray fairy rewards for the first two temples, and link wears a skirt instead of shorts. those are my only complaints
>>
File: IMG_2810.png (1MB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2810.png
1MB, 750x1334px
>>385378390
Jesus Christ it's been years since I've played that.
>>
>>385381524
dudes last post was 3 years ago, and started with im not dead
>>
File: hmgO9IN-620x.jpg (28KB, 620x205px) Image search: [Google]
hmgO9IN-620x.jpg
28KB, 620x205px
>textures and lighting make the entire game too bright and cartoonish, damaging the atmosphere (the moon looks worse)
>animations and models are often too smooth and lack any weight, hurting gamefeel, link doesn't handle as satisfyingly and fierce deity seems lame
>common bits of new dialogue all in the service of explaining the obvious to the player, hurting immersion
>almost every boss ruined (odolwa's changes especially were almost offensive)
>Zora swimming ruined for no real reason
>Deku link now inexplicably must accelerate every time he walks and his spin was made less effective, hurting gameplay in the swamp especially
>the bomber's notebook is now intrusive as fuck with no option to turn it off
>ice arrows ruined
>no master mode or anything

this remake is the result of a modern team obsessed with accessibility misinterpreting the vision of the original. many of these changes are done in the service of making the story and mechanics easier to understand for children basically, and it feels like the game treats the player as a child. this is disappointing considering the nature of the original; something that is hard to quite grasp or relate with that gains atmospheric strength from lower quality textures, dark lighting, and a consistently cryptic tone. every new detail about this remake breaks this tone. Play it on n64, an emulator, virtual console, I think its on gamecube?
>>
Should I play OOT on Wii VC or 3DS?
>>
>>385381739
I can't really think of anything he could've added. Got the premise down pretty well.
>>
>>385381905
its up to you. The OoT remake wasn't as bad as the MM one and it made a lot of quality of life changes, especially in the water temple. But the atmosphere is still stronger in the original, better animation and lighting.
>>
>>385381905
Wii VC. It's likely much more enjoyable on a TV/with a pad.
>>
>>385368535
>ith a sub 30 fps limit
OOT caps at 15 fps
>>
>>385369546
I played the N64 version when it first came out and I was around 8, but I don't remember anything from it. I dig the 3DS version, tho.
>>
File: odolwa.jpg (222KB, 500x655px) Image search: [Google]
odolwa.jpg
222KB, 500x655px
>>385381762
I'm actually playing it right now on the 3ds
I miss being able to swordfight odolwa the most

despite being a creepy game, I always replayed this game as a kid. I don't know why, it feels comfy in a weird way
>>
>>385381927
guro, actual death outside of just passing out, dynamic tears like the jizz, eh, minor details tho

rumor is it they found his body in a van outside of a shop, had been dead for a while
>>
File: That's a good one.gif (970KB, 200x133px) Image search: [Google]
That's a good one.gif
970KB, 200x133px
>>385370301
>Zora swimming was improved
Removing speed for an unnecessary level of handling is not an improvement, and making the previous speed run off of magic makes Chateau necessary in area's it was not previously required.

I do agree that overall the 3ds version improved a lot of issues with the original version though, particularly the sketchy level design in certain area's such as behind the clock tower.
>>
>>385370651
Although I do wish the Zora fast swimming didn't automatically do the lightning shield, I don't think the bit about sapping magic is bad at all. All you need to do is get Chateau Romani at the beginning of a cycle, which you should be totally fine doing since it is piss easy to rack up a shitload of rupees.
>>
>>385373042
N64 is 240p on a much larger screen. Kill yourself, cunt.
>>
File: Beneath_the_Well1.png (421KB, 847x487px) Image search: [Google]
Beneath_the_Well1.png
421KB, 847x487px
>>385368535
Some things are better, some things are worse.

Overall though, whether or not you enjoy MM at all is going to heavily depend on whether you play Zelda for the dungeons, or for everything else.

If you play it for everything else (characters, sidequests, exploration, etc.), either version is fine. The biggest differences is that the N64 version has a slightly darker/foreboding and expressive atmosphere, while the 3DS version has a significantly better save system.

If you play Zelda for dungeons though, you'll be heavily disappointed with MM. With the exception of the Stone Temple (which is great but won't top anyone's top 5 dungeon list), the dungeons are either boring, lackluster, or just middling. MM is also home to the absolute worst mini-dungeon in all of Zelda, with Beneath the Well (in that it's insanely boring, non-challenging, and tedious).
>>
>>385382789
>>385383019
Fast swimming doesn't run off Magic. You'll just lose the shield when you're drained, and keep on going fast.
You don't even use magic often in MM so it isn't an issue. If it is, just buy a green potion or as you said a Chateau Romani
>>
I love how nobody has a problem with Goron Roll draining magic but Zora Swimming taking magic is just fucking sacrilege
>>
>>385368932
Holy shit, you're pure retarded. I bet you love how they fucked with the transformation masks as well.
>>
>>385385251
Because it was fine before and it didn't need to be changed.
>>
>>385368535
A lot of QoL and graphical improvements, for one.
>>
>>385381762
Deku footstep sounds are INFINITELY worse as well. The game is fucking unplayable.
>>
>>385381762
I don't understand how exactly Grezzo fucked up so bad. OoT 3D was acceptable - the single biggest flaw with the game is how the lighting changes mess up some scenes.
>>
>>385382318
20 actually
>>
daily reminder if you don't play OoT and MM on an N64 and CRT you're not really playing it
>>
>>385383450
>the Stone Temple (which is great but won't top anyone's top 5 dungeon list),

1. Stone Tower Temple
2. Forest Temple
3. Fire Temple
4. Great Bay Temple
5. Shadow Temple
>>
>>385385251
Goron can still move very fast without using magic. Zora now needs magic to travel at a useful speed at all.
>>
>>385369546
As someone who played the original game, I hated the game's 'atmosphere'. It feels like a mock up ROM hack of OoT rather than a game with its own assets that compliment it and resemble the official art. Mechanically and in terms of how quests are actually structured, 3DS is far and away the better version, as not only does it reduce unnecessary tedium, it also gets rid of unnecessary clues the original Bomber's notebook gave you by omitting quest times that the original gave you straight up, and makes you earn that info instead. The game is so much more explorable because of this, where the 64 version all but actively discourages you from actually interacting with the NPCs any more than necessary.
>>
>>385368535
there's multiple emulators, anon
>>
>>385368535
You could have changed the plugin, faggot. Also, changes are all about handholding
>>
I'm currently playing MM for the first time in my adult life and Pj64 has many issues with textures and, to a lesser extent, fps. I recall previous versions letting you change the video codecs and shit, but today "1,6" won't even give me the option. Sometimes when the camera swings in a certain angle, I can briefly see the missing textures and they make the game look way fucking better.

TL;DR What's the best way to emulate Majora's Mask (or any n64 game, for that matter)?
>>
>>385386520
Considering the state of N64 emulation, I actually agree.
>>
As an autist who has majora's mask as their favorite game of all time due to 2deep5u atmosphere bullshit

Good:
>Much better models and textures, and improved lighting/particles that with 1 exception (great bay temple) preserve the atmosphere and for the most part still feels creepy
>Gyorg fight is better
>Doesn't make you rewatch the business scrub cutscene
>Better framerate
>Song of double time allowing you to choose specific times to fast foward to.
>Gyro arrow controls
>Fishing
>if you have a n3ds/xl, you have camera rotation/control via c nub

Neutral:
>The bombers notebook is a little less obtuse and more organic to use, but it's also a little too helpful.
>Likewise, the save system is less obtuse, but allowing you to save without it being attached to going back in timee also removes some of the stress the game is meant to invoke, but you can impose thee limit artificially anyways.
>Twinmold fight is different but not better or worse. Some people like the change, some don't.
>Bank placement is moved

Bad
>Odolwa fight was made very easy, especially with the deku mask.
>Ice arrows can't be used just anywhere anymore.
>Zora swimming less fun, which outweighs the benefit of easier control in tight spaces.
>Bombers notebook pops up automatically and takes a while to do so, is annoying
>You have to get out of rolling as goron to hit Goht, but this isn't nearrly as bad as Odolwa's change
>It's harder to use the Deku spin to go faster (super minor thing to count against it, but it's there)
>Great bay temple's atmosphere is changed due to less gritty textures and brighter lighting
Overall, it's about on par with the original, with most of the good chanages canceling out the bad ones and vis versa.

Basically, for everything it does wrong, it does one thing right, so it's more or less on par with the original, just better in some ways and worse in others
>>
>>385389530
>>Much better models and textures,
stopped reading here
>>
>>385388995
>2017
>1.6
What the fuck you are doing? Get the latest version and use Glide as video plugin.
>>
>>385389530
>>Odolwa fight was made very easy, especially with the deku mask.

Odolwa was always extraordinarily easy - 3ds just gave you an even faster way to kill him (by like 5 seconds according to speedrunners), but if you don't cheese it with deku nuts Odolwa in 3ds is more difficult than in N64.

Everything else you said is 100% correct.
>>
>>385386751
>Fire Temple AND Great Bay Temple in top 5

Did you literally only play OoT and MM? Because that's the only way those get in someone's top 5. Also ST's good but nowhere NEAR good enough to be better than Forest/Shadow/Spirit.
>>
>>385390493
Yeah, sure N64 triangles and blurry mess of textures were better.
>>
>>385370263
For future reference just highlight the text you want to spoiler and hit control+s.
>>
>>385390493
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvV56AJS8dY

I'm sorry, you actually thought MM's was better?
>>
>>385386751
>Fire Temple
>3rd Best Temple

the fuck?
>>
>>385391089
You're only proving my point.
>>
File: scaredlinkcomparison.jpg (29KB, 400x435px) Image search: [Google]
scaredlinkcomparison.jpg
29KB, 400x435px
>>385391245
What on earth possesses you to say that the bottom one is better?
>>
>>385391245
Take out the nostalgia glasses, dumbass
>>
File: stoiclinkcomparison.jpg (31KB, 500x146px) Image search: [Google]
stoiclinkcomparison.jpg
31KB, 500x146px
>>385391245
Seriously, you're just baiting real hard, right?
>>
>>385368932
The bosses are MUCH better, so I completely agree.
>>
>>385388995
Play it on the Wii via virtual shop
>>
>makes the game easier.
>Gets rid of the grimdark atmosphere for a Harry Potter vibe

>"Better"
>>
File: 20170728_013334.png (129KB, 412x349px) Image search: [Google]
20170728_013334.png
129KB, 412x349px
>>385368932
>"definitave" version
>observatory barely has any colors
>>
>>385371357
Widely accepted by who?

3DS is an excellent remake in my opinion, and I've completed 100% playthroughs of the original many many times over the years. My personal favorite Zelda and if you disagree well then that's just your opinion and you're entitled to it
>>
>>385391685
>The bosses are MUCH better, so I completely agree.

They're definitely better, but I don't know if I'd actually call them good. Odolwa is still laughably easy (3ds version even more so), Twinmold still has very little substance outside of shooting the eyes, and Majora is just hack and slash and basically unlosable at that point in the game even without the Fierce Diety Mask or the Great Fairy Sword.

I do agree that Gyorg's finally a good boss, but that's really about it. Goht's fun to look at, but it's mostly just spectacle (and he got a bit worse in the 3DS version)
>>
They only objective opinion Is that they made the first boss fight better.
>>
File: Vkqbbdo.jpg (403KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Vkqbbdo.jpg
403KB, 1920x1080px
>>385391245
The fact that the MM3D's textures upscale this well to 4K shows the really impressive texture work Grezzo did on this port (completely wasted on the 3DS's 240p screen).
>>
>>385389530
Agree with everything, but honestly I found all of the bosses to be more difficult than N64.

I think I was just caught off guard by the new mechanics. Since I've played N64 version so many times I had the damn game memorized so when it came to Odwala I went right in to kick his ass only to realize my methods weren't working. I literally said out loud "what the fuckkkk" but I honestly like the fights better. They feel a little more like fights now, but that's just my opinion.
>>
>>385391983
Fuck. This looks amazing. Is Majora's payable on Citra yet? Last time I checked it ran like shit
>>
>>385392319
Most everything still runs like shit on Citra.

Give it about 2 more years and we'll be able to play it comfortably at half speed.
>>
>>385391584

Left looks unironically better for MM.

You need to understand that one console is more powerful than the other one, but that doesn't mean it's better per se.
>>
>>385368535
After emulators were giving me trouble i just played it as part of the LoZ Collectors Edition for GC on my hacked Wii using Nintendont. I didn't have a GC controller so I just used a DS3 and it worked fine.
>>
The moon's face is dumb af in the remake.

That is literally the only thing.
>>
I could have sworn that the dungeon was "Stone Temple Tower" not "Stone Tower Temple".

is this what people refer to as the mandela effect?
>>
>>385391584
>ok, Link's sword looks like a stick with a Lego brick, what we do?
>what if we make it looks an even worst Lego brick in a stick?
Fucking genius
>>
fuck you buddy I bruteforced my way up those ladders. If you wanted it enough you would have got there.
>>
>>385392612
No it doesn't, stop. Right is using properly lighting, non disgusting textures and a Link model that actually looks like official art. You just like left because muh nostalgia.
>>
>>385392962
no its just you being a retarded kid
>>
>>385393139
Bruh same.
Of course in this day and age, they probably wouldn't let you climb them unless they were visible.
Thread posts: 110
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.