[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you personally play FE with permadeath? Do you reset

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 10

File: SI_WiiUVC_FireEmblem.jpg (435KB, 2000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
SI_WiiUVC_FireEmblem.jpg
435KB, 2000x1000px
How do you personally play FE with permadeath?

Do you reset the chapter as soon as a unit dies and try to keep everyone alive?

Do you iron-man it and deal with the loss of units?

Do you do two playthroughs, one of each type?

I personally find it way more rewarding and tactically challenging to ironman it, since I believe that's how the game was intended to be played, and losing a unit that you've been leveling and playing with for hours hits you really hard and makes you think twice about your actions. That being said, I can respect someone who takes the time to reset chapters and tries to 100% the game with no unit loss.
>>
File: image.jpg (57KB, 402x604px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
57KB, 402x604px
>>385361510
I reset everytime some one dies, tell myself that I'll do an ironman later, and never do.

Kinda feels like I'm missing the point.
>>
From someone that plays a lot of roguelikes and ironman xcom, I save scum in FE games.

The characters just aren't as expendable. They have actual character and can potentially effect the story in some way. That, and the game is always moving forward. It feels like if you lose someone late game, you're extremely screwed since it's not easy to raise a replacement.

I haven't played the newer games though. Just the GBA and Gamecube ones.
>>
I'm not totally sure it was intended to be iron-manned. I never do. Every unit is an investment and a resource and I always try to make sure everyone gets out alive. However, I imagine for fe5 you might have to make sacrifices just to complete it, and in fe4 your cast is so large that it's not all that detrimental to lose someone
>>
File: 1497964445535.png (53KB, 248x114px) Image search: [Google]
1497964445535.png
53KB, 248x114px
For first playthrough, ironman no matter what happens. Take any and all deaths. For playthroughs after, only reset if the enemy got a lucky crit because I still could have played well up to this point but was simply dealt misfortune by the gods and need to accept that.
>>
>>385361992
>>385361935

It's intended to be played both ways, really. The games are made so you can chose to take the easier (but more time consuming) way of resetting the chapter, or you can just keep on going and accept your losses.

The scripts of all FE are written to organically accommodate characters dying, and I think it's much more personal and unique to see your own story evolve from the losses you've suffered, and the unique dialogue options that arise from such losses. You're not losing story points by having characters die, you're creating different ones. In fact, there are some side-missions in some FE games that can only be unlocked if specific characters have died.
>>
>>385362338

Mah nigga. I do the same.
>>
File: 1471309749493.jpg (153KB, 870x853px) Image search: [Google]
1471309749493.jpg
153KB, 870x853px
>>385362338
Same poster who just reread this post and realized I worded it a bit wrong. I meant I only accept the deaths that were dealt by RNG and not poor positioning and judgement. On second playthroughs and onwards, I try to make sure I get a little more confident at dealing with the maps, but at the same time I don't like the playthrough turning into a cookie cutter everybody lives run and want at least some deaths to shake things up and make me try to recuperate, so enemy crits and bullshit hit rates it is.
>>
File: 1460427127694.jpg (28KB, 240x256px) Image search: [Google]
1460427127694.jpg
28KB, 240x256px
>>385364005
>confident
I meant competent, jesus fucking christ.
>>
>>385361510
the earlier games were made with iron man ion mind. but the later games were all designed with resets in mind. the ai basically treats its win condition as any unit dying and will make very foolish tactical choices to fulfill that knowing that any drawbacks the choice had don't matter as the player will reset the map anyway.

i still think it's fun to ironman on first playthroughs.
>>
File: not important but interesting.png (165KB, 485x348px) Image search: [Google]
not important but interesting.png
165KB, 485x348px
>>385364346
>Gaiden actually has the enemy army AI value self preservation while terror and illusion AI doesn't care for their own well being at all
A pretty interesting distinction that I happened to notice and kind of liked.
>>
>>385362685
>In fact, there are some side-missions in some FE games that can only be unlocked if specific characters have died.
That game is also considered one of the worst Fire Emblems though.
>>
>>385365210
I miss enemy units having AI like that, having different factions have different AI is neat.
>>
>>385364346

Yeah, and that kinda sucks. Resetting a map every time a unit dies is pretty boring since every win will be technically a perfect win.

I like when a game makes me feel like I lost something to achieve my victory, and permadeath in the FE games perfectly reflects this.

Permadeath loses its meaning if the player just resets after every unit loss. It turns into an in-game justification for save scumming, and that's lame. I understand some people prefer it like this though, and apparently most fans play the game that way.
>>
>>385361510
I always reset if someone dies, and recruit every unit I can even If I don't plan to use them. The idea for me is to redo chapters until I actually do them "right".
>>
>>385365210

Is the AI in Echoes similar to the way it was in Gaiden? Or do I have to hunt down an english-patched rom to witness that?
>>
>>385365985
It works that way in echoes.
>>
I find it much more interesting to ironman the first playthrough, see how the story and dialogue unfolds with my losses, and then do a 100% run and see all the side-quests and extra dialogue that I missed in my first playthrough. It's much more rewarding than just 100% it the first time, personally.
>>
I restart when a unit dies. It forces me to get better at the game so people start dying. I didn't do it the first time I played FE7 and I got stuck at the endgame, with a level 20 Marcus, Athos, and a bunch of underpowered lords.

I think the casual mode that's in modern Fire Emblems is bad because it doesn't really reward your for how well you played, but most people playing on casual aren't playing the game on hard, and are just in it for the """""""""amazing"""""" stories in Awakening and Fates.

But with that said, I think ironman/permadeath is pretty bad in general. I guess it's fine in XCOM since every unit is pretty expendable, but in Fire Emblem it doesn't really feel important to the story. I treat any player unit death as a game over, so w/e.
>>
>>385365985
It's similar in that respect yes.
I poorly positioned my Silque too close to a mercenary but the mercenary had less health and thus retreated into the trees instead of focusing on Silque who could have died in 2 hits easily.
Conversely, when I got to Dead Man's Mire my Nomah kept on taking hits left and right from stupid gargoyles despite the gargoyles themselves being in shambles.
>>
>>385366073

Nice, I need to get myself a copy, it looks pretty amazing.

Also, which pre 2000s FEs are worth playing through on translated roms? I thought about playing through the first one just for the experience.
>>
>>385366446
If you do get Echoes, just keep in mind that they didn't fix any of the original Gaiden's maps with their flawed chokepoints.
In my opinion, they were a bit too faithful in that respect.
>>
>>385366416
>It forces me to get better at the game

I find the opposite is true to me. Resetting just makes me go into trial-and-error mode, since I can just keep on trying until I finish the map perfectly, while ironman makes me really think about each action and play much more defensively and cautiously, since I know that if I lose a unit I'm not going to be able to simply reset the chapter and try again.
>>
>>385361510
By using your brain. Which, by reading your post, you clearly don't have
>>
If you resest on unit death when casual mode is an option, you might as well play casual
>>
File: 1481306418537.jpg (123KB, 474x528px) Image search: [Google]
1481306418537.jpg
123KB, 474x528px
>>385366695

>you don't play the way I do, so you're clearly intellectually inferior
>>
File: 1500532695222.png (52KB, 211x256px) Image search: [Google]
1500532695222.png
52KB, 211x256px
>I can't believe that damn fool Valbar went and got himself killed. Not to be crass, but I was kind of on a job for him, but now there's no way to collect. Heeeeey, you guys seem like a traveling lot! You wanna hire a sword hand?

I really miss dialogue being affected by characters dying, it was nice to see Echoes bringing this back even a little bit.
>>
>>385366783

Casual Mode is actually harder than Permadeath-with-reset because you at least have to deal with the immediate consequences of losing a unit and having one less unit to finish the map.
>>
>>385361510
I reset, because I feel you get good and learn the game betfer as you retry difficult maps several times until you achieve all your goals, not only keeping eveeyone alive but also clearing all side objectives, like opening chests or visiting villages.
>>
>>385367442
sure that works if you're a fucking idiot
>>
>>385367442
It isn't because kamikaze-ing units and setting some to die are valid strategies, and training 2-4 units while setting the rest as meat-shields are valid strategies. Hell punishing that was the precise point of Nohr chapter 10, which was clearly made to fuck with people on Casual Mode.
>>
>>385366446
Dark Dragon and Blade of Light fun for shits and giggles, but if you want a polished version play Shadow Dragon. Gaiden is literally the same experience as Echoes, minus Faye. For Mystery of the Emblem, play Shadow Dragon for Book One and New Mystery of the Emblem for Book Two. Genealogy and Thracia are definitely worth playing, but be warned that Genealogy has really big maps and Thracia is pretty difficult for FE standards.
>>
>>385367442
No, it's the same, except in classic you are wasting more time if you're shit.

Then again unless you're playing lunatic, you shouldn't be losing units anyways unless you're new to the series
>>
>>385367906

Hm, didn't think of that.
>>
>>385366892
>let me use an overused reaction pic completely out of context to mask my lack of arguments
>>
>>385368232

What arguments? You basically just called me names because you disagree with something I said, not even specifying what, offering literally nothing worth rebutting.
>>
>>385368026

Thanks.

>>385367534

I do that for my second playthroughs. I like visiting all the villages and getting all the possible recruit options and dialogue scenes, but reseting breaks the pace way too much and feels way too artificial, if that makes any sense, breaking the pace of the story for me. I like to experience the story in a more natural way from chapter to chapter first before trying to do a completionist run.
>>
>>385368365
Fe isn't that hard. You should just be careful to what unit you move on to bait the enemy to attack you. also, there isn't a correct way to play the game. You can save all your units and end up with a bigass roster to choose from or you can only care for the units you consider the best. That's it.
>>
>>385361712
same. which is weird cause i refuse to play the newer ones on casual. i just reset.
>>
When a unit dies I determine whether or not they are valuable enough to risk replaying a mission over. I typically end Fire Emblem with a bunch of deaths but quite a few surivivors as well. It's best that way.
>>
>>385368701
And? The point of the thread is to discuss which form people prefer and why, I never said one way was superior to the other.
>>
>>385361510
Usually whatever I feel like doing that particular playthrough. Marth games I tend to ironman or play for low turn count, and others I usually just do a casual reset run or LTC. FE is a lot of fun because of the variety of ways to play it and plenty of games with mostly distinct flavors to choose from, even if I don't like some of them.
>>
I restart if I lose a unit.

When I first started Echoes, I was determined to not use the turnwheel until I realized how absolutely fucked the RNG was. Never in my life have I missed so many 90% chances. Combined with the fact that if you fuck up in a dungeon that's a lot of progress just gone, I learned to accept it.
>>
>>385361510
>Do you reset the chapter as soon as a unit dies and try to keep everyone alive?
Generally yes, currently I'm working on S rank runs and having 0 unit deaths is required for a 5 star survival rank. In casual playthroughs depends on the unit but I really don't like letting anyone die.
>>
The problem I have with Ironman is what happens when a Lord / other essential character dies. You get a game over. So do you restart the entire game or do you just restart that stage?

If you restart the entire game, it's not very fun. FE games aren't like roguelikes or dungeon crawlers where there's enough randomness and variety to keep you engaged. Restarting from the start of an FE game when your Lord died would be ridiculously boring.

But if you restart the stage, then you get the units that died in that stage back. The optimal strategy for an Ironman challenge is therefore "use your Lord a lot and throw them into battle constantly", because it doesn't matter if they die and could actually be beneficial if other units died during that map. They are the one unit you are guaranteed to have until the end of the game.

It's the roadblock I always come across when playing these games Ironman. Inevitably, I'll be at a point where 3-4 guys died in one map and, while I could complete the map easily, it's way more beneficial to me to compromise my chances of completing the map by overextending my Lord. You could say "well just don't do that", but why? It's a legitimate strategy within the confines of an Ironman challenge. The only other alternative is forcing a restart when your Lord dies, but FE games just aren't built for that.
>>
File: 1489766500218.jpg (121KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1489766500218.jpg
121KB, 1280x720px
>>385370228
Have you tried Binding Blade?
>>
>>385361510
Whats the best FE to ironman?
>>
Reset.
Thread posts: 48
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.