[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are the Slim models of this made in 2010 and later as prone to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 3

File: ps3console.jpg (727KB, 1920x1083px) Image search: [Google]
ps3console.jpg
727KB, 1920x1083px
Are the Slim models of this made in 2010 and later as prone to yellow lighting as the launch models from 2006? Thinking of buying one of these used.
>>
Nope. The normal Slim is specs and reliability-wise the best choice.

That being said, my 2007-bought Fat still works fine. Either I'm lucky, or the YLOD issue is exaggerated.
>>
>>385358716
I think they're quite a bit more reliable. I'm still using the one I bought in 2009 with Demon's Souls and I've had zero problems with it.

Playing UNIST on it atm
>>
my phat is still running fine too but I also have a modded slim so dont use the phat anymore
>>
>>385358716
My launch model still works, but I'm getting worried about it. Should I hunt down a slim unit even if it only does some of the things I want a Playstation for?
>>
>>385360564
Might be good to have. Used Slim bundles have been very reasonably priced for a while now; got my wife one with a 120GB HDD, HDMI, 5 games, 2 controllers and 2 Guitar Hero sets, all for 170€, back in 2012.

What comes to Fat, I do recommend placing it in well ventilated space. Taking mine out of the cramped TV-stand's shelf finally quieted it down; it started to sound like a jetplane when playing games for a while before. I did also buy one of those PS3 Philips screwdrivers and opened the bitch up a couple years back, and cleansed the innards of dust. It was fairly clean though, to my own surprise.
>>
>>385358716
YLOD happens when the thermal paste in your PS3 dries up and dust clogs the heatsink. If you keep your PS3 clean, put it in a well ventilated area, and change the thermal paste after almost 10 years then it will last you forever.
>>
Don't do this

-Play in the summer without air conditioning or good air ventilation
-Play used games without washing the discs
-Make a habit of going back to the title screen and turning it off that way, a lot of games secretly save all the time and bitch like the Souls games if you quit any other way
-Download a shit load of games on a small hard drive and max your shit out, just buy a bigger hard drive and don't make it worse in the long run

You'll be fine with these easy tips.
>>
I've only ever had a super slim and I love it but everyone shits on them all the time. Not sure why.
>>
>>385358716
Wow anon's first console. What was it like being born in the 21st?
>>
>>385361009
I've got mine on an Ikea wire shelf which seems to work really well as a console stand for providing tons of ventilation.

But at this point its basically a Valkyria Chronicles, Disgaea, PS2 and Amazon Video machine.
If I can rip the few games I care about I think my system would be fast enough to play them with the emulator.

Did Valkyria Chronicles on the PC ever get a DRM free release?
>>
>>385361664
Super slims cost about the same as regular slims but Sony cheaped out when it came to building it. Examples: uses same cell/rsx revision as the slim but worse cooling system, turned the disc drive into a fragile plastic side loader, removed the green WiFi LED, and it's impossible to install custom firmware on super slims.
>>
>>385362091
>fragile plastic side loader
How the hell is it fragile?
>>
File: 1463584990435.gif (2MB, 350x255px) Image search: [Google]
1463584990435.gif
2MB, 350x255px
>>385362091
Top loader Playstation consoles include: PS1, PS1 Mini, PS2 Slim, PS3 Super Slim. The downside is the less than stellar noise from the Bluray seeking data, which is tolerable but noticeably downgrade from the Slim and Fat PS3.

PS3 Super Slim is the most reliable one, yes, believe it or not. The electronics inside and motherboard component are the smallest variations of the technology, 45m CPU&GPU. The WiFi/LED were only removed in later versions of the Super Slim, not right away as mine has both of those indicators. Regardless, the Super Slim is the ghetto version of the PS3 because it runs on the most basic components with generates less heats, especially in idle state.

The Slim is the overall winner in the marriage of aesthetics and functionality+reliability. Super Slim is the long running marathon of the family, plays PS1 discs, PS2 Classics, and PS3 games I'm quite happy with it.
>>
>>385362091
So if I want to rip my PS3 library for the emulator I'll need a original or a slim.
>>
>>385362356
slide the tray with enough force and you can break off the plastic or wear it out so it doesn't slide well
>>
http://www.psdevwiki.com/ps3/SKU_Models#PS3_Slim_.282000_series.29

The model you want is the CECH-2100A or B. The reason is, as you can see on the chart, it has the latest/smallest 45nm and 40nm Cell and RSX revisions (meaning highest reliability/lowest temps).

The reason you don't want the CECH-2500x, is that despite being "normal slim models" with the latest Cell/RSX, they're actually somewhat different with a more cheap shell, no LED, and worse cooling system. Of course the worst of the worst are the super slims. The CECH-2100 has the same shell and build as the original CECH-2000 slim, but with the improved RSX, although the original CECH-20xx already had the final Cell revision.
>>
I still us mine occasionally. Just expect a CRACK CRACKLE CRACK when turning it on and here and there as you play.
>>
>>385362525
I mean there's nothing wrong with super slim if you all you want to do is play ps3 games. but the build quality of the console did take a noticeable downgrade and having no CFW support means that you're limiting the features of your console.

>>385362561
>So if I want to rip my PS3 library for the emulator
fat or slim ps3 on cfw, correct.
>>
>>385362525
If you get the right slim model, as I said here >>385362734, it also has the 45nm CPU&GPU. Add that on top of a thicker, more quality shell, and larger fan, you get a better system.
>>
>>385362734
actually, the CECH-3000 series models are the ones with no feature LED, worse build quality, and marked the beginning of Sony stomping on people installing CFW/Linux.

the CECH 2000-2500 are the sweetspot models.
>>
>>385362648
Do you have a learning disability? Who the fuck would even do that? Moreover there's a fucking button.
>>
>>385363158
>wow a button
nigger, if that shit drops from a small height it's fucked. you could drop a regular slim from a roof and it'll still be fine because of its thick shell.
>>
>>385363147
Yeah I got the 2500 mixed with the 3000. Still stands that the CECH 2100 is the best model to get though. Also even if the CECH 2500 is a good model, I swear there was something I remember it being not quite the same as the CECH 2000 and 2100 in some way.
>>
>>385363464
certain CECH 2500 models can't install CFW because they came shipped with firmware 3.60 but that's only if you bought your PS3 in 2011 or later.
>>
>>385363363
Bullshit. I've dropped mine and the tray doesn't even open.
>>
>>385363925
>>>385363363
>Bullshit. I've dropped mine and the tray doesn't even open.

Not that anon you're all debating with, but what possible reason do you have to drop a console by mistake? Give us the story now.
>>
>>385363990
>playing ps3
>dualshock 3 hooked up to console so it can charge
>pet dog runs by and foot pulls cable
>ps3 drops to floor
>>
>>385363990
I was moving and it got caught on my surround sound system wire. I don't know what the aspie who broke his super slim was doing.
>>
>>385359408
I got my fat 80gb in 2008 and it YLOD'd at the end of last year.
Poetically while I was playing MGS4 which was the first game I also ever installed and played on it
>>
>>385364174
Surely that would have pulled the cable out from the controller and not drag the entire system down?
>>
>>385364286
depends on the angle. the super slim is so light that a big dog easily pulls it down.
>>
>>385364174
>>385364176
>PS2 days
>Called for dinner
>Instinctively get up to leave room
>Pull the entire console because of cord controllers

Ah those were the days. Not gonna miss wired controllers.
>>
>>385359408
All fats are on a ticking time bomb. It's only a matter of time before the thermal paste dries up and your temps skyrocket.
>>
File: ps3 fan mod.jpg (105KB, 1610x1080px) Image search: [Google]
ps3 fan mod.jpg
105KB, 1610x1080px
I did pic related to my modded PS3

Also did a vented strip near the back to lest the PSU passively cool and vent its heat easier

The modded ps3 lets me control fan speed which I leave permanently at 75% which is much higher than stock at 37% I think

During load with games hours in my GPU and CPU temps are 49c to 53c which is high for anything but for a PS3 its cold.

Unvented with fan at 75% is around 58c temps and unvented with stock fan speeds is around 68-74c temps

100% fan speed with the vented case gets me 45c temps sometimes during gaming but its just so fucking loud even my noise canceling gaming headset cant zone it out
>>
>>385364925
I also have mine on a laptop cooler powered by the PS3 USB ports. I drilled some small holes on the bottom of the PS3 and put a mesh screen I cut to size and I use the cooler to push cool air in or suck hot air out by reversing the cooler fans.

No idea if this helps though, havent checked temps with this new set up.
>>
>>385364925
anything above 40% fanspeed is too loud for me. as long as your PS3 isn't reaching 80C while gaming then it's fine.
>>
>>385365075
laptop cooler mats help for slim ps3s. the heat builds up at the bottom of the console if you play for too long and if you have your PS3 on a surface that absorbs heat well (glass table for instance) then it will heat up more than normal.
>>
>>385365482
Guess I will have it suck heat out from the bottom then. The PS3 is raised a half inch from the laptop cooler which is raise about an inch off the shelf.
>>
>>385361372
Ylod happens when the solder joints break apart over the course of many heating/cooling cycles. The console doesn't even have to overheat, it literally wears out a little bit every time you turn it on and off. Any amount of heat damages fat PS3s
>>
Just buy a modded slim for $140 with new thermals applied and get Rebug installed and bump up the fan speeds and enjoy free games
>>
>>385364925
I want to do this for my slim ps3 but I'm scared that I'll fuck up the case hole or do a ugly job on it.
>>
I bought a used one from gamestop last year and i haven't had any issues. I leave it on frequently since its what i use for streaming in my room
>>
>>385365858
if you're a real bargain hunter, you can find a ps3 with a broken bluray drive for dirt cheap. chances are it's on a exploitable firmware or can be downgraded. once you have CFW, you don't have to use the disc drive anymore for anything. just play all your games and movies directly from your hard drive or using the network loading thing with Webman.
>>
If you dont give a shit about cfw (i'm not a poor faggot so I own ever ps3 game i give two shits about) wouldn't the super slim be the best model for the long haul? Since it opens from the top for the disc loading as opposed to having a moving tray that sucks shit in. Less moving parts = longer lasting isn't it?
>>
>>385367848
That would be the case if Sony hadn't built it on the cheap.
>>
>>385368126
but it's quieter and uses less power. not to mention it's weight and size to allow easier maneuverability.
>>
>>385368126
So basically my slim 3001 model is prob still fine and will last and i should bother with getting a super slim to last me for the future?
>>
>>385368340
if you must buy another ps3, do what >>385365858 says
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.