[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Which is better? Red represents the player's hitbox and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4

File: hitbox.png (8KB, 672x458px) Image search: [Google]
hitbox.png
8KB, 672x458px
Which is better?

Red represents the player's hitbox and blue represents the platform's hitbox.
>>
B
>>
>>385335880
Devs almost invariably use A.
>>
>>385335880
A is legitimately more player friendly but B is as it should be always.
>>
>>385335880
I like how you drew little shoe laces.
>>
>>385335880
B
more precise hitboxes are better
>>
>>385336929
This.
A only seems unreasonable until you actually play a platformer like B.
>>
A
>>
>>385335880
A because it saves dev time so you don't have to have different hitboxes for separate animations.
>>
Rather A for "omg that was a close jump glad I made it" instead of B for "Wtf I made that jump thats total bs" rage.
>>
A
SOME leniency > autistic pixel perfect
>>
>>385335880
A, always. People who say B have never actually played a game that used B.
>>
>>385335880
Oh, I thought they were different basketball hoops
>>
File: 1501043359105.png (639KB, 735x984px) Image search: [Google]
1501043359105.png
639KB, 735x984px
>>385336929
>>385338028
>>
Wouldn't B just force all characters to be the same size for balancing issues?
>>
True platformers use A, "platformers" like Ratchet & Clank use B.
>>
File: C9rmd6mUwAAZAVJ.jpg (90KB, 1053x1200px) Image search: [Google]
C9rmd6mUwAAZAVJ.jpg
90KB, 1053x1200px
>>385335880
A saves a ton of unnecessary time and money in development, and does the job perfectly well. B can create situations that appear they should work, but don't because of a pixel-perfect miss.
It's better to give a hit that looks like it almost missed, than to not give a hit that looks like it just barely connected.
>>
B is the logical choice but this is for smashbabbies so I'm guessing they will all pick A
>>
>>385339185
MegaMan X6, Pitfall, Super Ghouls and Ghosts.
>>
>>385335880
You probably meant colliders, not freaking hitbox nigger.
>>
2D platformers A
3D platformers B
>>
>>385339874
3D platformers should have the option B platforms but the option A feet
>>
>>385335880
Option A in a 3D game, option B in a 2D game

3D platforming doesn't allow for super precise jumping like 2d platforming does

This is basic game design and you will see it in almost every game you play
>>
>>385335880
B for the player, A for the stage.
>>
>>385335880
B because it's retarded that you stay on the edge still with one pixel of foot anyways. extending it further would be actually insane.
>>
File: Samoyed5.jpg (43KB, 567x521px) Image search: [Google]
Samoyed5.jpg
43KB, 567x521px
B, but touching the wall lets you cling onto it and climb up
>>
>>385338718
I thought they were two pairs of undies.
>>
>>385335880
B for landing, A for jumping.

If you miss a landing, it's because your jumping position was bad -- the few extra pixels of collision box will rarely make a difference and a player may feel insulted if he clearly misses a jump but the game lets him continue. If the developers want to add some extra leniency to the landing, they can just make the platform wider.

When -making- a jump though, a player will be incredibly frustrated if the game expects him to jump from the end of a platform but then kills him if he travels just one pixel too far. The developer can't just make the launch platform wider, because they player will still attempt to run to the exact end of it before making a jump. Ideally this would work on "road-runner" physics, where the player can briefly "stand on air" but after a split-second he will begin falling.
>>
>>385341431
best answer.

>Hit platform below knee: Stumble onto platform
>hit platform near hips: chest onto platform grab
>hit platform chest or above: Fingers grab
>>
>>385341490
What are they, if not that?
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.