[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How is it even possible to make a game with robot dinosaurs and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 14

File: 1394029837856.jpg (543KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1394029837856.jpg
543KB, 1920x1080px
How is it even possible to make a game with robot dinosaurs and not have it be the tightest shit ever? The devs botched this opportunity.
>>
Because they were focused on making the game look good graphically, sacrificing gameplay as a result. It's the same issue plaguing most western AAA developers.
>>
>>385314648
Because it's slow and has no ambition.
You have a setting with robot dinosaurs and you still make the combat as slow and ploddingly safe standard TPS as you can.
Zero verticality, 90% of enemies are too small to inspire awe and fear.

Make the protagonist much faster (A 3D dashing system, obtianed via salvaged rocket boots or something, instead of fatrolling would make the entire experience a thousand times more enjoyable), make enemies at least twice as big across the board, introduce larger, more threatening enemies, add mounted combat, remove stupid bird enemies.
>>
The game is good, kys contrarian
>>
File: 1500648812996.png (843KB, 1085x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1500648812996.png
843KB, 1085x1080px
>>385314941
>>385314958
butthurt nincucks Horizon sold more than BotW and will get GOTY.
>>
>>385314648
It's solid as fuck, though. Combat's great when you play on Ultra Hard.
>>
>>385315047
>falseflagging this hard
I have the game, anon. It's fun, but it could have been amazing if the devs didn't play it so by the numbers.
>>
>>385314958
>combat's too slow and safe
>so let's give the player rocket boots so they can ignore obstacles, jump away from threats, and shoot down at the enemy from safe locations for every fight
Great, you took your perceived flaw and made it worse.
>>
>>385314648

Only thing I dislike about Horizon is that I wish you had a variety of Guns instead of a Bow.
>>
>>385315428
I don't mean safe as being safe from threats (most of the threats come from outside the field of view anyway), but safe as in something that attempted nothing at all new. Your post makes it sound like a rocket-esque dashing would mean permanent air time which doesn't have to be the case at all.

Adding verticality (and, of course, enemies that attack something other than the ground) wouldn't change your range of engagement at all. Think of the "dash instead of rolling" idea as something closer to a Old Hunter Bone dash without the teleporting iframes but with the option of going up.
Or just go full weeb and pull an Attack on Titan with anchor-based dashing, but that really would make things braindead easy.
>>
Combat is good if you turn difficulty up, only issue I then have is it's fast paced and has a horrible framerate and what feels like input lag.

Ghost recon had awful input lag too, fuck me the PS4 was a waste of money.
>>
>>385315534
Yeah, and instead of animal machines they should be cars, and instead of forests, deserts and mountains it should be one big present day urban city
>>
File: 1487778419175.png (1MB, 1226x1500px) Image search: [Google]
1487778419175.png
1MB, 1226x1500px
>>385315398
delete
>>
Game needed the rope system to work two ways. I would have loved to scale a cliff to shoot a rope down on the bigger machines so I could zipline onto them and try and mount them.
>>
>>385315398
>>385315932
Fake info
>>
>>385315871

or just use guns from the past to fight the giant robot dinosaurs in the forest desert etc

Doesn't even have to be contemporary firearms
You lack imagination, really.
>>
File: 1500813613982.jpg (130KB, 700x913px) Image search: [Google]
1500813613982.jpg
130KB, 700x913px
>>
File: 1479336934648.jpg (28KB, 528x543px) Image search: [Google]
1479336934648.jpg
28KB, 528x543px
>>385315398

That image of Link and Aloy...
>>
>>385314648
/v/ is still shit posting about this game? Isn't there something newer to talk about?
>>
>>385317772
I can never picture link as a top, especially now that he's become THE definition of a fuccboi. He's only meant to take cock.
>>
>>385317928

Same here. Link is a typical cocksleeve fuccboi
>>
>>385314648
Game is fun. Its just the strong female is very offensive despite it being 2017.
>>
File: 1499111520336.jpg (99KB, 1450x334px) Image search: [Google]
1499111520336.jpg
99KB, 1450x334px
>>385315398
Reminder.
>>
>make game with awesome robot dinosaurs
>story is entirely focused on human bullshit
>>
I agree completely. It takes a special kind of retardation to make a concept like that bland and boring.
>>
File: 1366066602897.jpg (71KB, 741x873px) Image search: [Google]
1366066602897.jpg
71KB, 741x873px
>robot dinosaul
>no metal feathers
>>
File: 1350659682419.jpg (21KB, 249x231px) Image search: [Google]
1350659682419.jpg
21KB, 249x231px
>i'll never be able to gauge the quality of this game because of console war shit
I'm suspecting it's decent but nothing special, with some truly shit characters and story, but I need to be certain.
>>
I like the game, i just wish it was more focused on melee.
maybe i should just get nier
>>
>>385314648
The game itself is pretty fun to play for the most but once you've seen all the enemies and killed them a couple of times there is no incentive to keep playing.

The first time a saw a Thunderjaw I was petrified of it but after killing 3 or 4 of them I just thought "try and avoid them, they're a pain to kill". Same applies to just about anything in the game. All the enemies look extremely threatening but once you've got some equipment, which is really easy to get, everything becomes too trivial.

The game need more variations with the enemies and I think it should have made more emphasis on the different equipment you can get. Once you got to the Day Tower or whatever that place is on the edge of the valley and the desert you get access to all the end game bows and armor and it makes the game way too easy. The isn't any purpose to using anything outside the 2 bow types, the tripcaster and traps

Everything is just shoot off it's weapons/armor and hit its weak points. Nothing is a real threat except the aforementioned Thunderjaw who is only challenging due to its wide array of weapons and the Rock Breaker due to it not having any real way to deal with it and if there's more than one they're a pain to keep track of although you can cheese everything with traps.

They could have made so much more out of the game with actually hunting wild animals as well the machines. They could have made the machines a lot more challenging and tried to make the player avoid them for the earlier stages of the game. They could have made machines actually stalk you through the game. They could have made the climate changes influence your character and you'd have to swap out armor and such.

tl;dr game is fun and looks great but there is too little to do to keep you captivated.
>>
>>385314648
Real missed opportunity with not making everything mountable. Could have at least made the final battle involve mounting a thundermaw and rip and tear through everything. Riding bird could have at least been endgame ability. And zipping around on a watcher would have been fun as shit.
>>
>>385315534
there are a few weapons that act similarly to guns. Rattler and Tearblaster comes to mind.

There are some skills you can get that basically turns the bow into a gun, like loading 3 arrows at once. Also arrows do the same amount of damage no matter how far pulled back the bowstring is, so you can basically rapid-fire once it's upgraded enough.
>>
So was the picture of the main character's stained panties real? Io might get the game if so
>>
File: 9c0[1].jpg (43KB, 600x480px) Image search: [Google]
9c0[1].jpg
43KB, 600x480px
>>385324269
what picture?
>>
>>385321475

only some robot dinosaurs would have metal feathers
>>
File: 232323.png (291KB, 440x600px) Image search: [Google]
232323.png
291KB, 440x600px
>>385314648
Should have played as pragmatic explorer Sylens instead desu
>>
I wanted to like this game, but I really disliked all the characters and the writing.
>>
>>385324776
To be fair, he would have made for a decent 2nd story or DLC. His story would have been really interesting and his character was alright.
>>
>>385317928
>Implying the Hero of time isnt secretly packing a dick the size of a baguette
>>
File: stormbird UH clusterfuck.webm (3MB, 768x432px) Image search: [Google]
stormbird UH clusterfuck.webm
3MB, 768x432px
>>385315725
>combat designed too safe
What other games do you know of that have combat like Horizon? Where you blast specific weak points off normal, roaming enemies with specific weapons to both hurt them and disable their specific abilities related to those components? You shoot a power cell component with a shock arrow and it creates an electrical explosion that stuns everything around it for like 10 seconds. Hit a gas canister with a fire arrow and it explodes in a fireball setting everything on fire to gradually drain their health as they burn, or hit a freeze canister and it makes an ice explosion that freezes everything so that they take triple damage from physical attacks. You can rope enemies down who you don't have time to fight but don't want attacking you in the back, and lay elemental or explosive trip-wires and traps as well as fire bombs / mines of them from a slingshot. You can rip enemy heavy weapons off their backs and use them to do massive damage at the cost of your mobility. You can use tear-based weapons, explode compressed-air sacs on enemies, or hit multiple times with your spear's heavy attack to knock enemies out for a time and line up a powerful attack or perform a critical hit. You can jump over an enemy and do a spear attack as powerful as a stealth-crit. Yeah stealth is a huge aspect of it too. And you can fucking use every weapon in the game while riding horseback, which is still actually not impossible because it gives you free slo-mo when you aim while riding.

Not to mention the fact that you can use specific arrows to make the machines and humans go berserk and fight anything around them, or the fact that you can completely make machines your allies if you can sneak up on them and override them with your spear at point blank.

I don't know how you can think the game attempted nothing new at all with the combat. Look:
https://i.4cdn.org/wsg/1500810845438.webm

And the dodging looks great. Not every game needs to have anime dodges
>>
>>385324972
the best part of the game is not the dialog, characters or story, it is stalking through the woods hunting for powerful and dangerous machines to get money or specific parts needed to buy new items / upgrade your gear. If you do the quests without fast travelling everywhere you can do this at the same time as the quests
>>
>>385325713
lol.
>>
>>385327125
I couldn't enjoy the free roam parts either because the MC is constantly yammering her inane observations.
>>
>>385324776
I hate this dude and everything he's in. Even the sound of his voice bothers me.

No idea why, not like he ever did anything wrong.
>>
>>385327390
I don't like that either but it's not nearly enough to ruin the whole experience for me.

you can just turn speech volume to 0% in the options if it's that much of an issue for you
>>
>>385327125
The problem is you can get some of the best gear really early in the game.
>>
>>385325713

I'm assuming people who say the combat sucks either played the game for 2 hours and didn't unlock all the cool shit or just ignored it because they assumed it was pointless. The combat is easily the best part of Horizon and has some of the most fun combat in a game I've ever played.

Of course the only counter-argument you'll ever get to your well-thought out post are ones like >>385327250
>>
>shit story
>SJW characters
>tedious gameplay
>>
>>385327703
I wouldn't say the combat sucks, I'd say it gets a bit too samey throughout the game. Some of the weapons have such an advantage over the others that their is no purpose to them.

Also, stealth is ridiculously strong in the game but it's also annoying that it is restricted to "You are only invisible in the red flowers. It has to be the red ones with the glowing things. Only those."

They could have at least have you crawl through the grass or even climb trees. You can't climb trees or anything for that matter unless if gives you a special foothold section.
>>
>>385328210

I never felt like the combat felt samey personally. Every encounter felt different to me since I was constantly switching between weapons and trying to get to high ground or something. Maybe it's because I played on the highest difficulty, but I remember having to put a lot of effort into every fight.
>>
File: sawtooth headbutt.webm (3MB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
sawtooth headbutt.webm
3MB, 800x450px
>>385327634
Not on ultra hard mode. Everything is really fucking expensive and you can't just get it like that. You have to pull off some amazing feats of grinding and ambush-hunting to be able to afford it and find the machine-trophies needed for trade.

>>385323376
Stalkers stalk you while invisible. All the robots become easy 1v1 when you get the ultimate adept gear with the most powerful mods, even on Ultra Hard.

People actually farm Rockbreakers for purple mods on UH; I've killed over 250 of them. All the machines become easy when you know exactly how to cheese them: stand on cliffs, freeze them and pepper them with arrows.

Thunderjaw
https://streamable.com/0boce

>Nothing is a real threat
the thing is, if you don't have the proper gear / mods, you really do have to retreat from many enemies - especially with the difficulty turned up. Trying to fight off a couple Snapmaws with a weak as fuck bow is going to cost you your life. At least with Sawtooths you can just perfectly roll out of the way a million times and finally kill them with your spear.

And straight-up fighting a thunderjaw AND two ravager (saber cat things) at the same time is fucking hard as shit, even with the perfect equipment and armor. You can't afford to get swamped like in >>385325713 webm
>>
Try playing on ultra hard NOT in NG+ for a really hard experience
>>
>>385319721

>People also bought millions of copies on the Wii U

Forgot something anon?
>>
Thread posts: 53
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.