[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I know it's popular to dislike this game, but damn if I

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 14

File: Fallout 3.png (2MB, 1000x1240px) Image search: [Google]
Fallout 3.png
2MB, 1000x1240px
I know it's popular to dislike this game, but damn if I just can't hate this game. This game *and* New Vegas and the originals all hold a really special place in my heart. The beautifully destroyed setting, the wonderful intractable characters with cheesy 40's/50's movie inspired voiceacting (and no you don't have to tell me how Fallout New Vegas added even more interactivity, I'm well aware of that). the various collectible items, armor, and weapons. The memorable songs that get stuck in your head for days. Am I seriously the only guy in /v/ that actually loved this game!?
>>
No it was fantastic. But it's cool to hate here.

Fallout 4 was a piece of shit though.
>>
>>385307037
It's the title that brought the franchise into to the modern spotlight, and it's a more relevant game than the other 3d fallout itterations.
>>
>>385307363
That I can agree on. Although there are select things about fallout 4 that I like. Most of the companions for one thing, and the character creation system was one of the best to ever be in an "RPG". But I knew the game was going to be complete lazy shit immediately after getting through the opening sequence. I mean, if you're not going to put effort into your goddamn opening sequence then you're obviously not going to put any effort into the game as a whole at all. They were too busy with their fucking retarded gimmicks like having Codsworth call you by over 1000 names and wasting all the money they could have spent having more voice actors and better writing on having a voiced protag. It's fucking baffling and pathetic how bad some of their decisions were when they were making this game.
>>
File: Underworld.jpg (740KB, 1680x1050px) Image search: [Google]
Underworld.jpg
740KB, 1680x1050px
>>385307037
>>
>>385308317
Underworld, home
>>
>>385307037
>the wonderful intractable characters
computers that are smart are an abomination of science so kill yourself k?
>>
File: The Mall.jpg (204KB, 830x570px) Image search: [Google]
The Mall.jpg
204KB, 830x570px
>>
File: The Pitt.jpg (1019KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
The Pitt.jpg
1019KB, 1920x1080px
>>
The reason I don't like Fallout 3 is how many hours I put in before realising it was a skinner box. I wasn't enjoying playing the game, I was enjoying finding something cool or seeing something interesting. It devolves the game into huge segments of 'I'll keep going because I bet I'll get a cool weapon/find an interesting detail soon', but with no way of knowing when that will happen it becomes a chore rather than a scavenger hunt. The gunplay and roleplaying is too underdeveloped to sustain the game in between these 'rewards'.

Also the compass promotes beelining from objective to objective and trains a player to focus less and less on the game world, which is arguably one of the stronger aspects of the game.

Also the nuance of the old FO games were lost on Bethesda. The brotherhood and the super mutants became the good guys and the bad guys. I'd forgive that in an otherwise perfect game but here's its just another thing to be disappointed at.

Also your Dad is the main character in that it's his decisions and story that the game revolves around. The vault dweller is just along for the ride and has basically no agency.
>>
File: The Lincoln Memorial.png (4MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
The Lincoln Memorial.png
4MB, 1920x1080px
>>
Yeah, I can't bring myself to hate it either. Looking back I can see it had a lot of flaws and such, but at the time it was my shit. When new Vegas originally came out I only played it twice, but after reading more about the lore I started to appreciate it more and more, especially after 4.

I'd say new vegas is my favourite and I have a soft spot for 3, but I don't think I'll ever play it again.
>>
File: The Lincoln Memorial 2.jpg (578KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
The Lincoln Memorial 2.jpg
578KB, 1920x1080px
>>
File: Dukovs Place.jpg (762KB, 1680x1050px) Image search: [Google]
Dukovs Place.jpg
762KB, 1680x1050px
>>
File: fallout 1 art.jpg (76KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
fallout 1 art.jpg
76KB, 800x600px
I liked FO3 and NV, but then I played the originals and I finally saw what's wrong with modern Fallout. FO3 and NV are not bad games, but they just completely miss out the thing that made Fallout 1 & 2 so magical. Classic Fallout is like Mad Max and old spaghetti westerns, modern Fallout is like all the post-apocalyptic stuff that tries to imitate Mad Max.

Fallout 1 and 2 really are like westerns set in post post-apocalyptic world, people adapting to the new world, building new cities, and just trying to rebuild the world. Fallout 3 seems to be all about the apocalypse. When you step out of the vault, the world is almost like the bombs fell two weeks ago, but the timeline says it's been about 200 years since the bombs. The world is all hazy green, and people are still living in caves.
In Fallout 1 and 2 -especially in Fallout 2- the world and civilizations are definitely taking their forms. There's huge cities, people doing post-apocalyptic thing like breeding mutants like it's what they have always done because that's probably they have always been doing since their birth, people talking about mutants like they're equivalent of different ethnicity etc.

TL;DR:
Fallout 3 is too heavy on the apocalypse stuff. Obviously it takes a long loooong time before shit can be sorted, but in Fallout 3 it seems like it's been just few weeks from the war when in reality it's been hundreds of years. There's debris and junk all over the streets, even in city parts where people are still living. Didn't they bother to clean it up? They lived hundreds of years in community and they didn't even bother to build proper houses? Why do they live like hobos? You'd think building up a proper shelters would be the number one thing in dangerous world of Fallout.
>>
>>385308761
Sounds like BOTW in some parts of your post.
>>
I love Fallout 3, it holds a special place in my childhood
>>
>>385308761
Is your skinner box argument also valid for NV? I'm currently playing through Fallout 3 before trying NV, and as I'm enjoying it so far (12hrs in), if NV could be a bit less like that it would be great. I tried Fallout 1 for 10 hours, I liked it but set it aside for a moment as I was a bit sick of feeling weak and fragile (just after finding the water purifier). I'll come back and finish it at some point though, it has a great athmosphere
>>
>>385307037
>the wonderful ... characters
I'm sorry, you lost me here.
>>
I had 300 hours played on my main character.
I played it on 360.
I also didn't even have Operation Anchorage and the UFO DLC.
>>
File: Desmond_Lockheart.jpg (304KB, 840x600px) Image search: [Google]
Desmond_Lockheart.jpg
304KB, 840x600px
>>385309156
>>
>>385307037
>Fallout 3
>wonderful [...] characters
Fallout 3 barely even has characters. At least they're better than F4 NPCs though.
>>
>>385309069
I think BoTW is more tolerable than FO3 because it dishes out rewards more often and makes the focus on getting from A to B, whereas FO3 has huge sections of nothing except mediocre shooting and wasteland. BoTW at least has some verticality and interesting movement mechanics to tap into the exploration vibe far more effectively than FO3. It could still not be to your tastes, but it's not a fair comparison I think.
>>
File: The Mechanist.jpg (118KB, 800x571px) Image search: [Google]
The Mechanist.jpg
118KB, 800x571px
>>
>>385309063
You don't know what it would be like living after an apocalypse, nobody does. I probably wouldn't give a shit about cleaning up anything, the morale of every living person would be affected. Who's to say entire areas of people never recover and live in depressed squalor for hundreds of years, even though some areas do attempt to recreate life before the apocalypse. Bethesda's DC can exist along with Junktown
>>
>>385309063
>Classic Fallout is like Mad Max and old spaghetti westerns
New Vegas fits that to a T...
>>
File: Harold.jpg (1MB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Harold.jpg
1MB, 1280x1024px
>>385309156
Yes I know he's not their original character, but the design of him is brilliant.
>>
File: new vegas all roads.jpg (2MB, 2560x1907px) Image search: [Google]
new vegas all roads.jpg
2MB, 2560x1907px
>>385309331
I agree that NV did very good job with cleaning up FO3. Most of my complaints about NV is about the stupidly limited game engine. Picture related, that's what New Vegas should look like. The in game version is empty because the engine can't support that many NPCs at the same time. Fallout 1 and 2 did pretty good job with making the cities and towns feel alive, but their engine was pretty light and was capable of having even 50 creatures on screen at once.
>>
>>385309141
Somewhat so, but it's improvements to the roleplaying make it more acceptable I think. The bits in between rewards dont feel like fluff in the same way.
>>
File: Mayor_MacCready.jpg (391KB, 998x713px) Image search: [Google]
Mayor_MacCready.jpg
391KB, 998x713px
>>385309156
>>
>>385309502
>Picture related, that's what New Vegas should look like.
It wouldn't look like that on an original engine and it wouldn't look like that on any other contemporary RPG engine. The only engine that could produce that kind of crowd is Serious Sam's or Blood Money's, and you aren't making an RPG with those.

Gamebryo is literally fine (not good, but fine) and we wouldn't get New Vegas without its tools.

>>385309559
please stop linking these to my post
>>
File: Three_Dog.jpg (341KB, 942x673px) Image search: [Google]
Three_Dog.jpg
341KB, 942x673px
>>385309156
Three dog for christs sakes!
>>
>>385309521
Also level design. The republic of Dave being so close to that deathclaw town makes me feel like Bethesda just slapped shit on the map at random, whereas NV has more thought into where things go. The player is pushed towards interesting stuff without being told 'go over there there's something cool'. Think of how you get to Nipton; you realise its unsafe to go north and the path around leads you to Nipton and then to your first encounter with the Legion. Simple but effective map design.
>>
>>385309559
>>385309647

you're being post-post-post-meta ironic here. right?
>>
The game is shit in every way possible. But if you play the game not in the way it was meant to be played, its fun. That applies to pretty much every Zenimax/Bethesda game.
>>
>>385307037
>wheel of contrarianism resets to neutral
>>
>>385309719

>Think of how you get to Nipton; you realise its unsafe to go north and the path around leads you to Nipton and then to your first encounter with the Legion.

If you aren't a completge shitter you can cheese/sneak the casadores and get to Red Rock Canyon right away. Why do you think North Vegas square has quests that give like 50 XP?
>>
This was my first Fallout game, I played it when I was about 12 and I loved it
>>
>>385309737
The exact opposite to what this guy said. The level of player agency and expression is so low in the new FO games that the most fun way to play is to do exactly what's expected of you. Go from place to place finding radical kewl guns and omg so random easter eggs, taking in the scenery and putting off the god awful gunplay or undeveloped roleplaying. To think outside the box in new FO games is to be disappointed, there's just not enough room for roleplaying to think this way. The roleplaying in these games comes down to 'which gun do I want to use and which minigame am I using to open doors'.
>>
>>385309874
You can't deny that the intention is for the player to take the U shaped route to NV though
>>
>>385309874
Agreed but I was looking at how the majority of people would play the first hour of New Vegas. The devs steer people really well up until NV, but it doesn't seem forced.
>>
I swear the enemies in this game are too fucking strong. I can make it through fights in NV just fine, but here every time I get into a battle against anyone with a gun I seem to lose about a quarter of my health and ammo at least. I put a lot of points into small guns and medicine, I keep my weapons and armour in good condition, but I just keep getting BTFO and VATS never seems to actually hit half the time.
>>
>>385309954

I meant not playing the game as an RPG. But as a sandbox where you dick around in.
>>
>>385310071
Lower the difficulty then. There's no penalty for it and you can up it again later. It's a lazy difficulty slider which just changes damage tables, which is exactly what your issue is.
>>
>>385310124
So a skinner box? I'll pass. It's not playing how you want, its ignoring the game in favour of literally wasting time.
>>
>>385309730
You didn't like 3 dog?
>>
>>385309954
Fallout 1 was quite frustrating for me as you always have to bump into the games' limits. For example, I accepted to be taken to Lou just before finding the water purifier, then got emprisoned. You can free yourself and get to the control room to blow up the place with a timer that you chose, so I was like, "okay let's find a way to get out before it blows up". I spent quite some time to realise it was acually a dead end and had to load a previous save. I wanted to wear scientist's clothes to fool the guards and escape, but the game did not let me. I couldn't fight the guards, they were far too strong for my level. It's great when the game lets you think of a solution, but sometimes it's just spending a lot of time to realise there isn't really any solution programmed into the game and you just have to go with the way you are supposed to go.
>>
>>385310317
nope
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.