[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>batman triangulates a cell signal >location of cellphone

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 12

File: file.png (675KB, 960x600px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
675KB, 960x600px
>batman triangulates a cell signal
>location of cellphone is outside of the triangle

immersion ruined
>>
>>385285960
That's how triangulation works. There's only one spot that can have exactly those 3 distances from those 3 spots. It doesn't need to be inside a triangle.
>>
File: Sundress_Asuka.jpg (1MB, 1662x2000px) Image search: [Google]
Sundress_Asuka.jpg
1MB, 1662x2000px
>>385286228
That's meaconing, not triangulation.
>>
File: file.png (103KB, 401x459px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
103KB, 401x459px
>>
>>385286607
It absolutely is triangulation. You can determine the position of anything regardless of how far away if your data is accurate enough. There's no reason why something needs to fall inside some arbitrary make-believe triangle in order to be located.
>>
>>385286775
That's not how a compass resection works.
>>
>>385287018
There's no need to get worked up. Just spend a few minutes on the wikipedia page for triangulation or something.
>>
>>385286228
>implying that a cejjphone signal can be picked up completely across Gotham City.

The middle and left points, yeah, sure, but the far left one? No way it is intercepting a signal from that tower.

And if it is, that means that Gotham's cellular infrastructure is retarded, full of redundant towers.
>>
OP isn't wrong.

No I'm not OP
>>
>>385287287
Doesn't change the fact that triangulation doesn't require the target to fall inside the triangle to be located. All you need is accurate data. How you get that data is irrelevant to the process.
>>
>>385287287
I can't believe Telltale didn't bring in a telecommunications and urban planning consultant for this cutscene
>>
>>385287153
Maybe you should check that page out yourself, because it doesn't help your case. According to it, what you described with "distances" is trilateration.
>>
>>385287446
>[glass him]
>>
>>385287501
If it's not triangulation that was used, then OP is a dumbfuck

so either way OP is a dumbfuck
>>
>>385287661
FUCKING AMERICANS
>>
File: file.png (283KB, 440x498px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
283KB, 440x498px
>>385287661
You beat me to it, dammit.
>>
>its a youtube playthrough screencap thread
>>
File: autism awareness.jpg (60KB, 600x835px) Image search: [Google]
autism awareness.jpg
60KB, 600x835px
>this whole thread
>>
>>385287684
Technically, it is Alfred who uses the word triangulation, the doddering old fool.

https://youtu.be/raMzmI1GMOk?t=1658
>>
File: Untitled.png (7KB, 746x633px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
7KB, 746x633px
>>385287501
Imagine it yourself. The fact that most cell phone towers only have small intersecting points is a coincidence. It's entirely possible to have large areas of data collection around towers that are close together. All you need is a way to accurately collect that data. If you know the maximum range of all of these towers then you can still triangulate the location where they intersect even if the target is beyond the imaginary triangle between the three points. Do you understand? OP is acting like the target needs to be smack in the middle. It doesn't.
>>
File: 178.jpg (308KB, 1600x650px) Image search: [Google]
178.jpg
308KB, 1600x650px
>>385287804
>Watching a Telltale game on youtube
>Playing a Telltale game
>>
>>385288359
Can't get cheevos for watching the video brah.
>>
File: 194.jpg (15KB, 300x100px) Image search: [Google]
194.jpg
15KB, 300x100px
>>385288359
you won't get to make any choices if you play the game but if you watch it on youtube you can turn it off when it starts to suck without feeling like you wasted your time
>>
If the location would be in the center of the triangle, why need a triangle at all and not a straight line?
>>
>>385288238
Yeah, except in your example, you red dot is actually going to be much longer and your triangulated position much more imprecise because you took three reference points in the same direction.
>>
File: 1487544897599.jpg (21KB, 290x356px) Image search: [Google]
1487544897599.jpg
21KB, 290x356px
>>385288617
How useful it will be to you is irrelevant to the process of triangulation.
>>
>>385288529
You can't connect three locations and still make the shape of the area a straight line, and to pinpoint a cell phone with any accuracy you need three towers.
>>
>>385288794
You can pinpoint a cell phone signal with two towers is the signal falls in the goldilocks zone exactly between two towers that have maximum ranges that barely intersect.
>>
>>385288238
Yeah, bud, that's trilateration, not triangulation.
>>
>>385289013
Imagine the circles, dolt.
>>
File: 48c.jpg (32KB, 600x452px) Image search: [Google]
48c.jpg
32KB, 600x452px
>>385288902
>>
>>385289061
http://circuitcellar.com/ee-tips/triangulation-trilateration-or-multilateration-ee-tip-125/

Triangulation:

>It allows an observer to calculate their position by measuring two directions towards two reference points. Since the positions of the reference points are known, it is hence possible to construct a triangle where one of the sides and two of the angles are known, with the observer at the third point. This information is enough to define the triangle completely and hence deduce the position of the observer.

Trilateration:
>This technique requires the distance between the receiver and transmitter to be measured.

Which does OP's example sound like to you?
>>
>>385289297
Triangulation. Like I said, the target doesn't need to fall inside the triangle BETWEEN the three points of data collection in order to be located. That's what OP mistakenly believed.
>>
https://youtu.be/ERxKHdmylbQ?list=PL0fDoLBh8vpCT70jxkUpmT4qdPMBaT4-B

>this thread
>>
>>385289546
I'll freely admit, in survey and compass navigation, it is not necessary that the known point be in the center of the triangle; that's normally when you are the unknown point and trying to locate yourself.

BUT if you are triangulating, and trying to find an unknown point, that point must exist somewhere WITHIN or on the PERIMETER the triangle made by the three known points.

OP's picture clearly has the point OUTSIDE of the triangle, meaning it is Trilateration.
>>
>>385289658
he dead
>>
>>385288474
that's why I watch the let's plays rather than play TTGs. After Walking Dead season 2 it was clear the witters had zero vision and were just pandering to whatever would get them the most sales/word of mouth.
>>
>>385290052
It does exist within the perimeter of the cell phone towers; it just doesn't fall between the three towers.

Do you finally get it?
>>
>>385285960
>Swing sword at enemy
>Miss enemy by one pixel
>Hit anyways because of the swords hitbox being slight off

never played again
>>
>>385290175
I don't know what's so hard about just making your choices actually matter like they claim to.

>wolf among us
>life is strange
>game of thrones
>all the other games they made

People want to make choices that matter, if you let them. Otherwise, they'll just treat it like the movie it is. Chrono Trigger was somehow able to do it a billion million years ago.
>>
>>385290181
Again, this is trilateration, because it is using the transmission and reception area of the towers, not the physical towers themselves for identifying the unknown position.
>>
>>385290397
Chrono Trigger didn't have full Voice work to pay and mess with. Sadly that makes a huge difference and can cripple cost greatly if done wrong.
Really the vast majority of games where actions matter had little to no voice work to mess with.
>>
>>385290397
>I don't know what's so hard about just making your choices actually matter like they claim to.
That requires writing multiple branching paths all leading to different endings. It's not necessarily difficult, but it is more time consuming and that eats into their budget, and therefore profit margins.
>>
File: 1351766837544.jpg (9KB, 304x164px) Image search: [Google]
1351766837544.jpg
9KB, 304x164px
>>385290552
You're assuming the towers have similar ranges, or ranges that fall short of the other towers. This is a realistic assumption, but not relevant for triangulation.
>>
>>385287290
Op said
>>
>>385290654
okay, then, tell me how this isn't an example of trilateration.

Because your argument is he is correctly using triangulation with data that wouldn't lead to accurate triangulation.

Whereas I am arguing he is using trilateration with which the data at hand would lead to an accurate point.
>>
>>385290397
>Chrono Trigger was somehow able to do it a billion million years ago.
Except not really, all those branching paths just end the story earlier.
>>
>>385291010
>wouldn't lead to accurate triangulation.
There's no need for the target to fall BETWEEN the three cell phone towers. The triangle formed between the cell phone ranges DOES NOT NEED to exist BETWEEN the cell phone towers.

How braindead are you?
>>
File: Shark.jpg (101KB, 900x726px) Image search: [Google]
Shark.jpg
101KB, 900x726px
>>385290397
>I don't know what's so hard about just making your choices actually matter like they claim to.

>situation A
Johnny takes path A
Andy takes path B
when it ends the majority feel Andy's path was the better result/ending. Johnny must either replay to get the better ending or just accept and move on, but it dosn't stop Jonny from being a faggot and being angry that he was "punished" for the actions he made, so he gets mad at the developers and might not buy products from them.

>situation B
99% take path A
only 1% take path B
meaning that of the money sunk into path B was a complete waste and developers get butt hurt thinking they could have just shaved off that path and saved all the money from it

>situation C
They want to make a sequel, if they keep on both paths offered this could seriously cut into funding, leaving the options being a canon ending to the original which will piss everyone off, sweeping everything about the fist one under the rug with only peppered bits here and there showing what choices were made or risk a glutted mess of a product that will be over all worse for all the money that will have to be sunk in to keep both paths connected to the original as well as progress in game with the two paths.
>>
>>385291132
If it isn't between the physical points, but the transmission areas, its trilateration.
>>
>>385290397
Chrono Trigger was 16 endings. They didn't change the main story just the ending.
>>
>>385291132
I don't think you understand how this works.
>>
>>385291310
Wrong. Absolutely wrong. If you truly need someone to paint you a fucking picture then you are beyond redemption.
>>
>>385291375
I don't think you do. You're assuming all of the ranges of the cell phone towers only intersect between the towers and cannot intersect further away.
>>
>>385291387
You still haven't explained how it isn't trilateration.
>>
>>385291453
NO, if you're using the physical towers, as physical reference points, to find an unknown point, it is triangulation.

IF you are you using the circles of their transmission areas, it is trilateration.
>>
>>385291454
Because you don't measure the exact distance between the target and the towers. The intersecting point between the ranges of the towers does not need to be geographically between the three towers.
>>
well this thread went off on a tangent
>>
>>385291524
So your argument was semantics?
>>
>>385291602
No, faggot!
This is not triangulation.
>>
>>385291619
Hardly. They are completely different methodolgies. I agree with your statements, but you're calling it the wrong thing.
>>
>>385291602
Really, I think it could have went off on a cosine or a sine. It depends on which variables were present.
>>
>>385291619

It took you that long to realize what he was arguing?
>>
Actually, triangulation, you are using angles to find the unknown point.

Trilateration, you are using distance.

So, if it were triangulation, Batman has used the angles between the towers to the unknown point and calculate the various distances there.

If it were trilateration, he found the distance between the various points and found where they intersect.

Really, looking at the picture, he could be doing either.
>>
>>385293639
Then let's compromise on

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/triangulateration
Thread posts: 65
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.