[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Just played through MG1 and MG2 SS for the first time. MG1 has

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_0169.jpg (103KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0169.jpg
103KB, 960x540px
Just played through MG1 and MG2 SS for the first time. MG1 has a few real bullshit moments and design decisions (music is great though), but MG2 SS holds up really well, aside from three things: the bullshit hang glider moment where you have to use the cigarette until the animation plays out so Snake can jump from the bridge (didn't see any clues about the cigarette part of that in-game, only the hang glider tip), the 'read the manual' moments which require you to use the internet if you're playing the MGS3 Subsistence version becuase it doesn't have the manuals for the MSX games, and lastly having to equip cheese ration and move out of the opening in the wall to attract rats that otherwise one-shot you.

It was really surprising to notice how much MGS1 borrows from MG1 and particularly MG2 SS, story and gameplay-wise. Lots of things that I thought the PS1 game did great had already been done in those way older titles, including a few breaking the fourth wall moments (Big Boss telling you to turn off the system, getting an MSX cartridge in-game etc). MGS1 is essentially a deluxe version of MG2 SS.

I bet /v/ hasn't played those.
>>
I first played them shortly after beating MGSV, to complete the loop. They're good. My opinion of MGS1 lowered a little when I beat MG2.
>>
>>385283285
MG2 is my favorite Metal Gear game period, and while MG1 has its faults I still like it more than most of what came after MGS3.
>>
>>385283890
>>385284049

I can see that. Gameplay-wise, the Solid series didn't really innovate as much as I thought it did. You could already lure people by hitting on walls in MG2, you already had to not make sound with footsteps in MG2. It was pretty much a graphical overhaul, but they amped the story to 11.

You could see Kojima wanted to make more out of the story after MG2 though. Big Boss is not THAT bad of a guy in MG2, he already had the savior personality, while in MG1 he was Wily from Mega Man almost.
>>
metal gear fans are fucking insufferable, if i could erase any game from existence it would be this one just so I wouldn't have to hear your brainless drivel
>>
>>385284656

Jesus, why? What did they do to you?
>>
>>385284656
people can talk about games you dont like and the same you could to them
>>
>>385284537
>Big Boss is not THAT bad of a guy in MG2
I don't really agree. His role as benefactor is apparent, but he's also transparently self-serving and egocentric.
>>
>>385284772
I dont dislike metal gear games, just the fans
>>
>>385283285
I was a toddler when Metal Gear came out and only end up knowing what a MSX was almost 20 years after. But I read the files and watched all the tapes in the MGS for PS1.
>>
>>385283285
MG2 is a fucking classic and one of the best games in the series. The fact that it ties into MGS1 so well storywise makes it a shame people are fucking casuals and don't play MG1 & 2 before the rest of the series.
>>
>>385284820

Well, yeah, but he also saved the children and Frank Jaeger, gave them a home etc. Of course he also wanted to raise them as soldiers to throw at more wars that would create more orphans, but he isn't just killing everyone and maniacally laughing like in MG1. He already felt like a fallen man, with that speech about being perpetually trapped in a state of war at the end of MG2 SS.
>>
>>385284943

I urge you to play at least MG2 SS, it holds up. Feels like a good SNES-era title. Unbelievable that it's from 1990.
>>
>>385284881

You didn't answer my question, why don't you like the fans?
>>
>>385285068

The story doesn't tie THAT well, considering the intro of MG2 pretty much says the world found peace and had no more nuclear weapons (while in MGS1 they say the world hasn't found true peace since the Cold War and that nuclear warfare is still a huge threat), that this new type of substance called OILIX was invented and that it ended power supply problems (have they ever mentioned OILIX after MG2?), that somehow Otacon designed a weapon and called it Metal Gear despite not knowing, as far as we know, about Metal Gear and Metal Gear D etc.

After playing them, I wish they mentioned more MG1 and MG2 characters in the solid series, like Gustava, Dr. Marv etc. I guess I should be thankful that at least Campbell, Solid, Big Boss, Miller and Frank Jaeger survived that era. though.

Still, they're all great games, all MG and all MGS titles.
>>
>>385286103
>The story doesn't tie THAT well
I think he means thematically; obviously stuff like OILEX and the lack of nukes are dropped plotlines.
>Otacon designed a weapon and called it Metal Gear
Well, yeah, because there was precedent for them. Metal Gear was the project. Otacon was just an engineer. Note that Snake mentions to Decoy DARPA Chief about having "a couple of run-ins with them in the past."
>>
>>385286795
True.
>>
>>385286103
>After playing them, I wish they mentioned more MG1 and MG2 characters in the solid series, like Gustava, Dr. Marv etc. I guess I should be thankful that at least Campbell, Solid, Big Boss, Miller and Frank Jaeger survived that era. though.
I always thought Kasler should've been BB's second-in-command in PW and V instead of Miller. For fuck's sake, he was already established to be a former follower of B.B. and they even mention in Metal Gear 2 that Kasler retired from service due to a war injury.
>>
>>385286103
>that this new type of substance called OILIX was invented and that it ended power supply problems (have they ever mentioned OILIX after MG2?)
Nope. There's even a scene in MGS4 where Big Mama and Snake talk about limited fuel resources, which kinda goes against the whole plot of MG2.
>>
Make sure you play Ghost Babel too.
>>
>>385284537
To be honest the main reason it changed my opinion of MGS1 was Gray Fox. He had a really good arc in MG2 and redoing it but this time he's a robot just started feeling wrong.
>>
>>385283285
I played them too. I was surprised how very "Kojima" they are, even all those years ago. That man really is an auteur.
>>
I wish there were a better link for MGSV to MG, through gameplay or real MGS cutscene, instead of this shit we have with 2 minutes of Venom Snake staring in a mirror and 10 fucking tapes of 10 minutes each to listen when there is nothing left to do in the game.
>>
>>385288075
The links are pretty straightforward in MGSV as is, though.
>>
How do you dodge Liquid's second missile in the helicopter boss fight though?
>>
>>385287886

I played that back then, it was really good. Need to replay it.
>>
>>385288752

Is that before or after jumping with the rope andoing the rappel segment? Is that during the actual boss fight? I don't remember having trouble dodging missiles by hiding behind shit.
>>
Gray Fox should have been in V. How's he and Campbell in portable ops?
>>
File: 12-8xLbI.jpg (58KB, 595x456px) Image search: [Google]
12-8xLbI.jpg
58KB, 595x456px
>>385289146
Roof bossfight. Strange, when I played it I remember that I could survive the first missile by hiding behind roof things just fine but the second (right before the heli would croak, judging bu the remaining HP) would get me wherever I went, cover or no cover.
>>
>>385288257
I guess I just want an insight of Outer Heaven viewed from Venom Snake perspective.
>>
>>385289570
>How's he and Campbell in portable ops?
Null is just a more emo version of his Cyborg Ninja self from MGS1. MPO!Roy is basically what Kaz is in PW.
>>
File: MSX_Magazine_199106_029.jpg (1MB, 1496x1942px) Image search: [Google]
MSX_Magazine_199106_029.jpg
1MB, 1496x1942px
IT'S NOT OVER YET!
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.