[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is this actually good for someone who found XBC to be cringeworthy

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 190
Thread images: 55

File: Xenogears_box.jpg (86KB, 256x240px) Image search: [Google]
Xenogears_box.jpg
86KB, 256x240px
Is this actually good for someone who found XBC to be cringeworthy and boring ?
>>
>>385262792
Its extremely anime if that's what you're asking. I think its a lot better than Blade and Master Asia is the main antagonist throughout though
>>
gameplay is mediocre to decent at best

story is the best in the industry
>>
>>385263353
so you might as well cheat to make "combat" irrelevant or watch it on youtube
=> garbage **game**
remember where you are
>>
>>385263353
>story is the best in the industry
Ao no Kiseki exists.
>>
>>385263557
I don't speak chinese kid
>>
>>385263557
even more anime
>>
>>385262792
Nothing will be good if you found XBC boring. Kill yourself, you're not worthy of joy.
>>
>>385263610
It's japanese, not chinese.

Roughly translated it means "I am a huge falcom faggot. Fucking kill me before I breed."
>>
>>385264090
>someone unironically thinks a falcom game has the best story in the industry

hard to believe
>>
>>385264150
Well, in terms of story-heavy JRPGs, I'd say it's up there. As for the entire industry? Well... that's kind of vague.
>>
File: xenokino3.jpg (139KB, 800x496px) Image search: [Google]
xenokino3.jpg
139KB, 800x496px
>>385262792
yes, it's nothing like XBC
>>
>>385264993
hey someone posted my image

hopefully XC2 will explore philosophy/psychology at least as much as XS1
>>
>>385264993
Bait beyond all measure.
>>
>>385265187
XC is the only game there devoid of psychology, and the philosophy it presents is so minimal it may as well not be counted.
>>
Really makes you think
>>
>>385265318
So it's bad because it's different?
>>
File: RetroArch-0129-193616.png (69KB, 1333x1000px) Image search: [Google]
RetroArch-0129-193616.png
69KB, 1333x1000px
>>385265367
this isn't a game for brainlets
>>
>>385265187
XC is the only shonen there

>>385265478
because it's shallow story wise
>>
>>385265367

It's pseudo-philosophical nonsense written in poor semantics. Doesn't really make me think about anything, except what Square's NA staff was smoking when they translated this game.
>>
Story is a complete ripoff of Evangelion.
>>
File: 1303107598632.jpg (27KB, 313x599px) Image search: [Google]
1303107598632.jpg
27KB, 313x599px
>one of the greatest OSTs of all time
>amazing story
>awesome characters
>so-so gameplay

Go for it. Do not be fooled by the slow start.
>>
>>385265318
That's because Monolith actually cared about making it a good game rather than just a clusterfuck of psychological and philosophical ideas with half-assed video game mechanics tacked on. Xenogears may have had some good ideas, but as a game it was underwhelming at best. Xenosaga, on the other hand, was unfettered garbage. I have no idea why anyone would praise that series' story for any reason.
>>
>>385265543
>because it's shallow story wise
That doesn't make the game bad though. I could understand if that image was ranking the stories alone.
>>
>>385265794
story has nothing to do with evangelion

>>385265818
some people say CC is mitsuda's best work, I gotta say xenogears stuck with me more. Here's hoping he does as good in XC2
>>
>>385265850
Xenoblade X has better gameplay mechanics on all fronts and still incorporates those ideas

>>385265901
it is
>>
File: wut.jpg (265KB, 1221x949px) Image search: [Google]
wut.jpg
265KB, 1221x949px
>>385264993
Reminder this exists
http://www.critical-distance.com/2015/11/13/xenogears-xenosaga-xenoblade/

http://www.randombursts.com/projects/xenosaga/ordo_ab_chao_072315.pdf
>>
>>385266274
>Xenosaga
All one needs to know:

http://www.caltrops.com/review0012.php
>>
>>385266274
xenosaga was a trip
>>
>>385263542
lmao try harder to fit in
if you think Xenogears combat is shit you lost to Rico and you ran from Hammer, just coasting your way through. I bet you never used an etherdoubler or omegasol either.
>>
File: xeno.png (2MB, 1113x947px) Image search: [Google]
xeno.png
2MB, 1113x947px
>>385263353
Personally I enjoy the gameplay, specially the mech combat. I agree the story is the best in videogames though.

>>385265794
Shouldn't you play games before you have such strong opinions about them? It seems like a pretty obvious thing to do.
>>
File: 61-GIbUw.jpg (124KB, 800x675px) Image search: [Google]
61-GIbUw.jpg
124KB, 800x675px
The Xeno series is just a massive attempt to rewrite Perfect Works only to have it cancelled midway and only for Takahashi to try to rewrite it (again) only a bit differently in order to adapt to modern times and player trends.
>>
File: barney.png (126KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
barney.png
126KB, 300x300px
>>385267107
>takahashi has been ripping off xenogears plot points his entire career
>it works everytime and is still fantastic
>>
>>385267204
Don't forget Chrono Cross was also a gigantic leftover pile of Xenogears plot points.
>>
>>385267369
same with FF7, even moreso than CC
>>
>>385266893
>I bet you never used an etherdoubler or omegasol either.
Two things.
One: Omegasols are only available outside of battle.
Two: the Ether Doubler is expensive as shit early on and pretty much requires grinding to buy.

It's a shitty battle system that focuses too much attention on Deathblows rather than actual strategy. You can get by spamming those and using healing spells 90% of the time. Not to mention the difficulty is low as hell.

>>385266274
God, who the fuck came up with all this stupid bullshit? You have:

>scantily-clad gynoids trying to host the soul of Mary Magdelene
>lost human souls turning into space ghost jellyfish that turn people to salt
>a Jewish businessman trying to orchestrate the biggest Shoah ever by resetting the entire universe
>space Kefka trying to absorb some otherworldly god power and losing his sanity in the process
>said god power is embodied as a little kid that just wanders around and pilots a giant death machine for fun

I hate Xenosaga so goddamn much.
>>
>>385266274
that sounds a lot like Nobodies in Kingdom Hearts
>>
File: 1454039869394.jpg (64KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1454039869394.jpg
64KB, 640x480px
>>385267402
What's makes that even better is that Xenogears was LITERALLY Final Fantasy 7. It's just Square said it was 3edgy5me but mite b cool so make it a seperate game anyway.

What hurt Gears in the end was that they moved staff over to FF8 which resulted in the barely existent disc 2
>>
>>385267685
>What hurt Gears in the end was that they moved staff over to FF8 which resulted in the barely existent disc 2
Takahashi and other sources confirmed that this was utter bullshit. Squaresoft gave him 2 years to develop the game. He ran out of time, so he had the team rush the second disc. That's it.
>>
>>385267554
don't make me laugh, KH has no world building, it's just what nomura decides to pull out of his ass

we still don't know what the fuck light and dark are supposed to be
>>
>>385267531
Speaking of multiple shoahs, did they ever give a reason why Zanza wanted to reset the world multiple times? Unlike Wilhelm, they never gave any reason, not even a valid one like Wilhelm.
>>
>>385267685
I think I read somewhere that the plot of Xenogears was supposed to be for FF7 so that might be why they are so similar.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xenogears
>>
>>385267402
It always annoyed me how FF7 copied so many things, but did so in a very half-assed way that didn't really add anything meaningful to the game.
To me it seemed like they were there just because they looked cool, like one-winged Sephiroth or to make the plot seem more complicated than it was, like Cloud's mental problems. In Xenogears they have an actual thematic purpose, development and relevance.

>>385267685
Not really, that's just what people assumed had happened. Square gave Takahashi 2 years to make the game, and even though they knew they wouldn't be able to do everything they prefered doing Disc 2 like it is rather than finishing it at Disc 1.

https://archive.fo/Bgn48
>>
It was great at the time, its a bit slow for modern day rpgs with all the reading.

Still one of my alltime favorite games
>>
>>385267848
if alvis is to be trusted, he was booty blasted by people forgetting about him since beings of bionis live shorter lives than machina.
>>
>>385267685
>>385267902
Well fuck the archived link is dead. It's on Kotaku though, so you might want to take my word for it instead.
>>
>>385262792
Xenogears is one of those games where once you've played it you'll find it hard not reference it and see it everywhere. You'll be that guy making in jokes about "releasing limiters" that no one else is going to get. You'll be talking about wave existences from higher dimensions or the chair from disc 2 and no one else will understand. You'll chuoose to use churiously labored chuildish chu-chu speak and everyone will think you're a dick. You can try your best to suppress these urges, you'll see a story about another catholic priest diddling kids and you'll imagine stone's face and smirk, giggling to yourself about red skull diddling kids and everyone will turn and judge you.

It's probably best if you never play it.
>>
>>385267848
Zanza was just lonely and eventually lost his mind and humanity from what was probably millennia of serving as a lonesome god. The world he created was the result of a major fuck-up, anyway. I doubt he was that happy in the long run. He's basically a Demiurge figure from a philosophical standpoint.
>>
Is there any game with deeper lore that and more complex plot that xenogears?
>>
>>385265818
Fuck, I can hear his theme right now.
>>
>>385262792
>for someone who found XBC to be cringeworthy and boring?
I will hunt you down. Anyway, I've been playing it recently and I think it's pretty fun. Gameplay is pretty unique, combo system is pretty cool. The story so far is pretty nice despite being just as anime as XCB in my opinion, but it's more cliche for its era and not necessarily like the anime of today. As of now, I'm in the desert underground cave with the pirate dude. I say go for it.
>>
>>385268307
Which makes me wonder, is there a game with a benevolent demiurge? They're always huge dickheads, even on literature.
>>
>>385268513
Does Black & White count?
>>
Trump
>>
I played every single Xeno game, loved XBC, but I just can't find myself to even bother playing X. I just got bored at start and quit. Is it just me?
>>
>>385262792
The entirety of the plot is exactly like the post Mechonis Core stuff in Blade.

Remember how in Blade the High Entia's true form is actually the monstrous Telethia that were introduced earlier, and they exist for the benefit of the big bad?
That plot point is from Gears.

Remember how in Blade the final bad guy Zanza literally made homs and they act like a resource for his body (in that they release Ether when they die)?
That plot point is from Gears (except it's with literal biomass rather than Ether release)

Remember how Zanza's plan to resurrect took literally 10000 years to come to fruition but he can afford that because he's a "god". Meanwhile another party, Egil, who is at first seen as a villain is actually doing the shady stuff they do to prevent said resurrection?
That plot point is from Gears

Remember how Zanza's god powers aren't actually his own and instead come from his control over another actually godlike entity?
That plot point is from Gears.
>>
>>385268513
>is there a game with a benevolent demiurge
A demiurge is not SUPPOSED to be benevolent. Their role in Gnosticism is to be an impure creator deity whose material creations are beneath that of spirituality. There is a game series that does explore this a bit: the Trails series - more specifically Zero and Ao no Kiseki (I know, someone's gonna go LE FALCOM FAG XD but fuck it). In duology, you have a demiurge that ended her own existence because humanity abused her power, but later got revived as another being. For the sake of avoiding spoilers, I won't go into more detail.

But at the same time, that does segue into >>385268448 in that I think the Trails series does a pretty good job at a long-running narrative. No INDIVIDUAL game is as dense as Xenogears in that series, but as a whole, they do a far better job at lore and world building than pretty much any other JRPG franchise out there. You could have some dude reference some item that can be bought at some shop in some other country, and you can visit that shop and buy that thing in a later game. There's a ton of attention to detail.
>>
>>385269280
Wich Trails my boy? there's at least 2 series.
>>
>>385269503
I'm talking about the entire Legend of Heroes: <Something> no Kiseki franchise. That's seven games at this point (gonna be 8 in Japan this September).
>>
File: xenogears remaster.jpg (182KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
xenogears remaster.jpg
182KB, 1024x768px
>>385269280
>A demiurge is not SUPPOSED to be benevolent.

Well, I'm not a super expert on theology but I don't think so. Plato's original explanation on the demiurge simply refers to it as the creator of the material world (demiurge literally means "artisan"). It was later depictions in gnosticism that show it like that.
But yeah, anyway that was a bit of my point, precisely because it's never depicted as benevolent that I was wondering about it, when by definition it doesn't need to be.

When I talk about demiurges, the novel VALIS always comes to mind, if anybody is interested in mixes of sci-fi and theology check it out, that book is genius.
>>
>>385269280
>>385270091
Oh and I forgot, thanks for the recommendation, I've been meaning to play the Trails series for a while now. I always read good stuff about it.
>>
>>385270091
I find this image amusing but was vendetta present at the crucifixion? I'm assuming the gold go-bot is supposed to be a stand in for vendetta.
>>
>>385270091
Well Plato wasn't a Gnostic philosopher. I'm talking about a later version of the concept formed by Christian theologians that were Gnostic.
>>
>>385265367
>>385265484
well, i feel a lot sillier now. but i still enjoyed the game a lot back in the day
>>
File: grahf.jpg (15KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
grahf.jpg
15KB, 480x360px
>>385262792

i liked the game a lot as a kid, it has a certain 90 anime quality charm that it's hard to explain, the giant robot are cool as fuck, the character are engaging (beside chuchu who's a fucking pink rat) they really sell the villain, when he first appears he has this robot that's cool as fuck that has this imposing stance while there is this huge red moon behind him, the OST is fucking amazing too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qc6gRAOhb8Q&list=PLCB5EC0C5E1947BF4&index=13
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=og-EIWN2QTo&index=14&list=PLCB5EC0C5E1947BF4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mGoiR7lqvw&index=15&list=PLCB5EC0C5E1947BF4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ut-wmZ4Z9oI&list=PLCB5EC0C5E1947BF4&index=17
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxynM-xwLUs&list=PLCB5EC0C5E1947BF4&index=19
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YREOhjsSvOs&index=24&list=PLCB5EC0C5E1947BF4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yw49mOVybuE&index=28&list=PLCB5EC0C5E1947BF4

as i got older i don't think i'm as much into it as i was... it can get very verbose, the plot is kinda hard to follow i still have no idea who the television heads are supposed to be for example the battles system is pointless complicate (character get a bunch of AP that they can use to do light,medium or heavy attack but to be honest there is no reason to just not keep spamming your best attack over and over) and the second half of the game sucks because for reason of time and budget constraint a lot of the things that should have happened on screen end up happening OFF screen
>>
>>385262792
>Is this actually good
You're better off watching than playing past Aveh.
>for someone who found XBC to be cringeworthy and boring
Xenoblade is a better game on pretty much all fronts. If your taste is THAT shit, you'll never love something as flawed as Xenogears.
>>
>>385265543
Literally all of the Xeno games have shallow stories.
Fuck's sake, Saga 1 and 2 barely qualify as stories, they fuck up at the most basic shit. Just namedropping psychological concepts and repeating high school lectures while shoving a few Bible references in doesn't make your game philosophical.
>>
>>385271871
>Reach evil techno city in the sky
>Oppressive police state running international cannibalism opperation
>Sounds like a fucking carnival
What the fuck were they thinking?
https://youtu.be/dlT0w9Qbavg
>>
>>385265547
that's not philosophy it's quantum physics for people who only read about it in another sci fi story.
>>
>>385262792

Fuck yes, I'm replaying it right now. This is the only square RPG aside from probably FF6 and FF Tactics I've ever been able to play multiple times.
The soundtrack is amazing.
The story is fantastic, it's clearly a labor of love by a guy who really wanted to create something incredible. He takes a lot of chances and most of the time they hit.
All the characters are fantastic.
I think the gameplay is great for a PS era JRPG, there's a jump button, the worlds are full 3D models instead of painted backgrounds. This means it doesn't look as pretty as a lot of the PS Final Fantasy games did but you can explore better, you can rotate the map at pretty much all times, which is great. The game really made use of a fully realized 3D space.
The combat is another good attempt that a lot of people feel falls short. I personally like the combat and I've seen enough of these threads to know there are others that agree with me. It's not just select menu option, you don't mash X, you have to kind of think about what you're doing. Even easy fights with overpowered mobs are a chance to learn new techniques. Boss fights in this game are really well designed in that you're not going to get through by mashing, you are going to have to think and you're probably going to get by a few by the skin of your teeth.
The mech combat is more about asset management which admittedly gets ruined in the later game when they give you way too many opportunities to re-fuel and heal.
But I feel the fact that the game even has two different combat systems that you switch back and forth from through the game (or can switch back and forth from DURING A FIGHT) is incredibly ambitious and should be respected.
The armor/accessory system is well put together. It's extremely open, only a few items are restricted by gender/character, and you'll find yourself figuring out cool effect giving accessories to combine on your character more often than just going with straight defensive gear.
>>
>>385272782
>cont
There are a lot of unique items hidden throughout the world that give your characters unique and useful abilities so exploration is always rewarded.
The cast of villains I think is hands down one of the best in any RPG ever. There are like four or five different factions all working towards their own means and as the game goes on the more powerful, betray, devour or destroy the weaker villainous factions until at the end there's a single big bad who's the absolute worst of them all. If you measure how good a villain is by how successful they are in their plans and goals, these guys have Kefka beat by a fucking mile.
The pace of the game is great, the story starts to slowdown on a couple of early points in the beginning but from there it progresses quickly, keeps new things coming at you, keeps changing the story up, but by the end, in a story as convoluted as this can get, the tie up all the loose ends in a way that is completely satisfying which is fucking incredible considering this was the time of giant fucking plot holes in our JRPGs (fucking Final Fantasy 8 being one of the worst). It was just a time when a cohesive story was abandoned to shoe horn in stuff that mite b cool. Xenogears manages to put a bunch of cool shit in their game but have it all make sense.

I love all the Xenogear threads we've been getting on /v/ lately
>>
>>385265318
I don't agree. Heck, one of the main systems is based on the concept of overcoming and defying predestination, which is the main theme of the whole game, I saw loads of references to Nietzsche specifically.
>>
File: 1279673767121.jpg (82KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
1279673767121.jpg
82KB, 800x600px
>>385270091
>>
I literally only got interested in this game because of Seraphita and have yet to actually play it.
>>
>>385268498
>played maybe 7 hours
>cliche
Just wait my dude, that game is wacko
>>
File: 1272510751601.jpg (356KB, 800x497px) Image search: [Google]
1272510751601.jpg
356KB, 800x497px
>>385274179
You're gonna be disappointed because The Elements get like 0.2% of the total screen time.

They basically only exist for the benefit of Ramsus' characterization and to give you a few more boss fights gameplay wise
>>
I really enjoyed XBC and tried playing Xenogears and got pretty far in it before it lost my interest.
The real killer for me was when the dumb mascot character turned giant and killed a cool robot. Fuck Chu-Chu. Also the game was just kind of boring.
I liked the designs, though.
>>
>>385262792
Just replayed it. Totally holds up.

I fucking love Xenogears and found both Xenoblade games to be underwhelming.
>>
File: 1500684622522.jpg (416KB, 1280x1707px) Image search: [Google]
1500684622522.jpg
416KB, 1280x1707px
Reminder
>>
>>385263557
Please stop The Legend of Heroes meme.
>>
>>385271871

They are the Gazel Ministry. Some of the first humans made. There were 12 of them, then during the Diabolos thing four of them merged with their corresponding Anima relics and turned into powerful gods/gears/monsters and went crazy. They were killed by the other 8 who were then killed by Grahf. Krellian uploaded their spirits/souls/electronic information into that computer orb thing they now appear on. They want to get their physical bodies back, rule over the day to day operations of Solaris and track everyone's data using the save points/memory cubes,
>>
File: 1482802652090.png (756KB, 912x1243px) Image search: [Google]
1482802652090.png
756KB, 912x1243px
>>385272360

Everything in Solaris is fucking perfect and wonderful if you're a Level 3 citizen. You have everything you could ever want, all the most amazing technological advances are at your finger tips, you never get sick or injured. Your mood is always perfectly balanced by drugs, you live in a magic sky city and your entire religion dictates that you and you alone are God's chosen people. That you deserve a wonderful life because you are super special and those poor dirt farming "Lambs" on the surface exist for you to either use or "guide" to being just like you. Because you are perfect and wonderful and rule the world.
>>
File: die.png (72KB, 283x268px) Image search: [Google]
die.png
72KB, 283x268px
>>385272219
>Literally all of the Xeno games have shallow stories.

also lol @ mentioning saga 1 and 2 but not 3 which is what 1/2 build up to
>>
>>385265367
literally just shifts the flow of the universe to the desired outcome and uses the resulting motion to create energy.
It's not even difficult to understand anon, it's just retarded pseudo science.
>>
>>385272360
why the fuck would solaris have a dark theme? It's the best place to live in the world
>>
File: TheHellDoesThisMean.jpg (32KB, 480x356px) Image search: [Google]
TheHellDoesThisMean.jpg
32KB, 480x356px
>>385275793
And they're almost completely superfluous to the story that appears within Gears.

Krellian basically manipulates them into doing the one thing they can do that he can't himself and then he turns them all off.
Other than that, all their on screen appearances just serve the player needlessly vague exposition that won't get properly explored or defined til hours and hours later.

They could have just been cut entirely and had Cain's death trigger the one thing they actually do instead.
>>
>>385276050
>>385276125
eat your Soylent
>>
File: 1463520039756.jpg (3MB, 1535x2775px) Image search: [Google]
1463520039756.jpg
3MB, 1535x2775px
>>385275495

All of the Gear designs are fucking amazing.
>>
>>385276197
>thehelldoesthismean
it means they repaired half of Kadomony
>>
File: IMG_5778.jpg (535KB, 1512x2016px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5778.jpg
535KB, 1512x2016px
You are getting a new Gear figure, right anon?
>>
>>385276050
I want to defile that level 3 woman with my pathetic -lamb- seed!
>>
File: 1500764223363.jpg (70KB, 600x873px) Image search: [Google]
1500764223363.jpg
70KB, 600x873px
>>385276479
This one
>>
File: 32aac2d3f703788ac87c93b136721409.jpg (105KB, 736x1107px) Image search: [Google]
32aac2d3f703788ac87c93b136721409.jpg
105KB, 736x1107px
>>385276197

One of the best things about Xenogears is the fact that there are like 5 different factions of villains all working towards their own goals and one by one they get picked off by the others until only the absolute strongest is still standing. No JRPG has ever been so ambitious.

Grahf
Emperor Cain
Krellian
The Gazel Ministry
Rasmus
Shakhan
The Ethos faction lead by Stone
Miang

So kindly shut it up about how they're "superfluous", it's all part of the larger story which is all the more interesting because you have no idea who the true antagonist of the game is for like the first 60 hours. That's remarkable.
>>
>>385276842
I absolutely love how Final Fantasy XIV looks but I'll never really play it because it's an MMO and like most MMOs if you want to experience it fully you'd have to dedicate most of your life to it.

Why couldn't XIV be the single player game and XV be the MMO so I could just ignore it?
>>
File: 1bdc5d9e4a7a14f60d2398922dcff8e5.jpg (285KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1bdc5d9e4a7a14f60d2398922dcff8e5.jpg
285KB, 1600x1200px
>>385276479
I don't care if it's overdesigned, I'd break the bank for a decent figure of Xenogears.
>>
File: 1485086754846.webm (3MB, 580x400px) Image search: [Google]
1485086754846.webm
3MB, 580x400px
>>385277519
Would you get it in white or red though?
>>
>>385276842
The effect you describe still happens even without the inclusion of The Gazel Ministry.
They really only exist to dole out needlessly vague exposition, which the game doesn't need more of and is in fact one of the biggest obstacles in the way of story presentation, which is a low point of the game.
The plot is good, but the way that plot is delivered to the player is often piss poor.

If the Diablos Gear stuff was actually in the game proper instead of being a footnote in the backstory then sure, keep em.
But as it stands they don't need to be in the game.
>>
>>385277423
> if you want to experience it fully you'd have to dedicate most of your life to it.

FFXIV is specifically made to counter poopsocking
>>
>>385267107
I'm mildly annoyed that Id was hyped up to be a big thing until halfway through the game when he's just suddenly dropped and turned into a power boost for Fei.

And then you don't hear from him again until right before the end of the game where his entire reason for being a villain gets hastily wrapped up in about 5 minutes.
>>
It's not as polished as more popular efforts, but the music is nice and the story is excellent.

Overall it's worth playing.
>>
>>385277646
Why didn't Lacan just break the Zohar when he first found it?

His role as The Contact gives him "break the unbreakable" levels of power and he was certainly pissed enough to pull it off.
>>
>>385278156
Lacan's whole purpose was to get stronger, why the fuck would he destroy the source of his power?
>>
File: tumblr_myjfp5JHbF1r5pjkqo1_500.jpg (177KB, 500x707px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_myjfp5JHbF1r5pjkqo1_500.jpg
177KB, 500x707px
>>385277797

The fact that they dole out vague exposition and are a bunch of creepy guys inside a floating mega computer are the greatest things about them.
They also serve as a cowardly villain which is a trait none of the other villains share. The rest of the bad guys are super confident and bad ass, it's good to have the Ministry there to balance that out. They have bad relationships with every other villainous faction in the game which is again good and different from the other villains who are very pleasant towards one another for the most part.
Again, they're also there for more misdirection, keeping you guessing about the true villains.
They're really just another good factor that makes up a very good story.
>>
File: xenogears_ramsus_8570[1].jpg (61KB, 262x225px) Image search: [Google]
xenogears_ramsus_8570[1].jpg
61KB, 262x225px
>>385278419
>the rest of the bad guys are super confident and bad ass
>>
>>385278575
He may be a fountain of self doubt but he was still a badass
>>
File: 3x3.png (2MB, 920x920px) Image search: [Google]
3x3.png
2MB, 920x920px
>>385262792
Yes you faggot. Xenogears is the greatest RPG ever made. Play it right fucking now you damned fool.
>>
>>385278669
Your list is terrible.
>>
>>385278156
The power of the Contact is just potential, without the Antitype alive in the world Lacan couldn't fully interact with the Zohar to become a perfect Contact. Think if it as the difference in Weltall becoming Xenogears and Lacan's Alpha Weltall just becoming more powerful when interfacing with the Zohar, it's a significant power-up but not godlike.
>>
>>385278223
The Wave Existence reveals to him all his past lives, which makes him go crazy and become Grahf, but could also drive him to end the cycle of having the dream of his happy life with Elly come crashing down again in future reincarnations.
I guess he wants to get revenge on the people who robbed him of that chance this specific time around, but at the same time when Grahf first meets Fei he talks about killing "god" as a future plan, except he could already have achieved that by smashing the Zohar since he knows where it is and Deus can't exactly resist him directly at that point.
>>
>>385278738
I'll shit your mouth faggot.
>>
>>385278940
Literally only two good games on that list: Xenoblade and CT.
>>
>>385278904
not true, grahf came about from the contact process fucking up and exists as lacan's will. While powerful, his strenght is limited. This is why he hunts down Fei, he wanted an opportunity to take over Fei's body but Id was always too strong
>>
>>385271160
Their taking lines completely out of context. The story and themes were phenomenal anon. Replay Xenogears.

>>385279031
Other than those 2 games, your taste is objectively shit, which means you're going to enjoy me shitting into your mouth (^:
>>
>>385276838
I want to violate this mecha.
>>
>>385278649

this
>>
>>385279249
Who the fuck likes Secret of Mana and Chrono Cross in 2017?
>>
>>385276054
>lol at pointing out the two games with literally zero story

Three functions just fine without them. They're terribly fucking written both standalone and as background for 3.
>>
>>385279513
>literally zero story

were you paying attention?

>Three functions just fine without them

nevermind you're just an idiot
>>
>>385262792
i'm 34 and this is my #1 rpg
>>
>>385263353
>story is the best is the best in the industry
>Freud the game
>best story
HAHAHAHAHA
>>
File: 57925489_p0.png (462KB, 850x1100px) Image search: [Google]
57925489_p0.png
462KB, 850x1100px
>>385279408
I'll take People Who Aren't Supper Massive Faggots for 600.
>>
>>385277797
Please stop trying to argue about actual storytelling methodology.

The people who like Gears like it because of when they experienced it and as such enjoy how it is presented in full and can't deal with the mind boggling possibility that some cuts could make it better. To them it's good because it was unique and BIG, and taking away "BIG" gets rid of what they enjoy.
>>
>>385279687
like clockwork, it's unreal how many people there are who didn't understand xenogears that shittalk it
>>
>>385267685
That's not true. Just because they shared development doesn't make Xenogears FF7
>>
File: 47404782.jpg (90KB, 414x600px) Image search: [Google]
47404782.jpg
90KB, 414x600px
>>385267107
>>385267204
Truth.
>>
>>385279814
I dunno, man. I understood it completely and I thought it was a bloated mess sometimes - despite having good ideas here and there.
>>
>>385265318
>>385265850
Xenoblade Chronicles isn't meant to be counted as a real Xeno game, it has little to do with the others. The only reason it was named that instead of the original name " Monado: The Beginning of the World" was to honor Takahashi.
>>
>>385279687
There is a character called Id and it has Super ego and shit, it must be Freud the game!
>>
>>385279814
>Abel's incarnations all fuck Elly's reincarnations. The original Elly was Abel's mother figure
>Super Ego, Ego, and Id are thrown around even though the devs know nothing
>Gnostic references all over the place
Xenogears isn't deep and you're a moron if you're going to act elitist over a flawed game
>>
File: 1upcom-yasunori-mitsuda.jpg (32KB, 510x200px) Image search: [Google]
1upcom-yasunori-mitsuda.jpg
32KB, 510x200px
>>385271871
The Xenogears OST is one of Yasunori Mitsuda';s best, second only to Chrono Cross IMO. And the TWO orchestrated albums he release, Cried and Myth, are out-fucking-standing.

https://youtu.be/x33FVzA71EI
>>
>>385267685
The fucking director came out and said this was bullshit. Xenofags are pathetic
>>
>>385279621
>1 is literally an entire game about getting to the starting point of the journey where a bunch of superfluous backstory is dumped and roadblocks are erected.
>2 is even more backstory focused than the first and just continues to move the plot forward without actually developing anything.

Literally only MUH DEEP LORE AND CHARACTER fags can defend the writing of 1 and 2. It's just a fucking slurry of Proper Nouns, foreshadowing, time sinks, character monologues about what they're doing/what the point of the scene is, and the occasional cringe worthy "character" scene that has the personality of an early 2000's harem anime.

It's fucking shit writing and doesn't actually give you any meaningful context for Episode 3. I suffered through both of them and can comfortably say I would have enjoyed 3 as much if not more without them.
>>
>>385280112
Id was a big thing during disc one. It was only in Disc two that he became a power up and appeared for 5 minutes to rush and finish his story
>>
>>385280578
It's literally one of the many plot points and it's only considered big because of it's repercussions. He literally gets downgraded to a power up as you said and the game keeps going. Calling it "Freud the game" is not only stupid but it also downplays the rest of the plot.
>>
>>385280112
Abel's Oedipus complex was the most important part of the game. It defined Ghraf, Id, and Fei's characters
>>
>>385280726
>He literally gets downgraded to a power up as you said and the game keeps going
Disc 2 was garbage and unfinished so Takahasi cut most of the Id parts
>>
File: Xenogearskrelian.jpg (108KB, 1120x1628px) Image search: [Google]
Xenogearskrelian.jpg
108KB, 1120x1628px
>>385276197
>whaaaaa I hate mystery
>>
>>385262792
Terrible gameplay, laughable story, and disc 2 is a VN
>>
>>385262792
Xenogears is elder god tier.
>>
>>385280934
>disc 2 was garbage

Was the ammount of text too much for your brain to proccess? Do you need your ADHD meds?
>>
>>385281220
>Game skips over events and has Fei narrate them while sitting on a chair
>Soon into Disc 2 you can no longer explore the world at your leisure
Nice video game
>>
File: image.jpg (46KB, 740x455px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
46KB, 740x455px
Is perfect Works worth reading? Finished the game this june and honestly, this game lets me with some unturned stones about the plot all over.
>>
>>385281460
Yes, please explore the world at your leisure as the world is fucking ending, retard.
>>
File: 1414728742509.gif (2MB, 240x180px) Image search: [Google]
1414728742509.gif
2MB, 240x180px
>>385262792

It's a ps1 one game so it'll feel like that. It's also super cerebral and fascinating. It's also 90's anime style, so some of the philosophical points aren't too polished.

The incorrect line of thinking in this thread is that Xenogears is definitively trying to "say" anything, as if you were reading Hume or Plato. It's just a crazy-ass story with a lot of nuts shit that you can mull over, and it's mature enough that you can be complex with it if you want. Fighting is fun because it's a combo of action and turn-based, but it's not gonna be as mindblowing as a ps4 game would be.

Also chu-chu can go fuck itself
>>
>Yeah sorry but that story is too edgy for FF7 make it a different IP
>by the way we stole a shit ton of your ideas and put it into FF7 anyways
>here take these new guys you have 2 years to finish the game
>well it sold 50k less copies than we hoped for so we cancel it

Takahashi had a hard life.
>>
>>385281564
Nigga this is one of my all time favorite games but disc 2 was unfinished. It's okay to acknowledge that.
>>
>>385281460
implying Disc 2 wasn't kino as fuck.
>>
File: ricocrap.jpg (31KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
ricocrap.jpg
31KB, 400x300px
>>385262792
kill yourself then play it then kill yourself again bc you will never play another game as good
>>
>>385281564
You would have been able to if they finished that shit.
>>
File: 1500687473887.png (101KB, 327x322px) Image search: [Google]
1500687473887.png
101KB, 327x322px
>>385281632
>but it's not gonna be as mindblowing as a ps4 game would be.

Well,if we're talking games in general,sure,but for a turn based game,Xenogears Is easily up in the top 100.

JRPGs went pretty weak with the passing of time,honestly.
>>
>>385281504
Perfect Works is better than the game itself, to be honest.

>>385281564
Buddy, a lot happens in disc 2 before the world ends (and even if you're gonna make that argument - look at what Squaresoft did with FFVI. You KNOW they could have done better if the project was properly scoped). There's a ton of moments where locales mentioned during cutscenes could have been full-fledged dungeons. Disc 2 is a fucking trainwreck of pacing.
>>
Name one other game that lets you pilot a giant kung-fu robot.
>>
>>385262792
Get ready for disc 2.
>>
>>385262792

I really enjoyed it. I think you should play it and I'll give you a genuine opinion of it.

It's good because it's not afraid of addressing big issues. This is both interesting and pretentious. It dabbles in religion, science, politics, war, conflict resolution and most of all existentialism. It doesn't do them all super well but it does them. The gameplay is solid and the fighting is a little eh because the super moves are all the same for everyone though later on the elements coming into the equation make it fun. The mechas are a blast and they have equipment you can upgrade and gimmick items like doubling effectiveness of ether (magic) but also doubling the cost, stuff like that. The music is fantastic, the graphics are good enough though it will always feel like a Super Nintendo RPG with a 3D map to me, items are interesting and unique, characters are good and there's a great variety of them, and the story is huge doesn't afraid of anything. It's easily 70-90 hour game first playthrough but I play it once a year and do about 55-60 usually.

Anyway, give it a whirl but try your best to eat the first 5 hours cause it's some real introduction tier shit.
>>
>>385281564
You can do it in FF7
>>
>>385265818
>Do not be fooled by the slow start.
Yeah, it gets much slower on disc 2.
>>
>>385281920
>half of the time it's a race against time then the world literally starts to end

Err... ok, then.
>>
File: BtGE6.jpg (60KB, 450x600px) Image search: [Google]
BtGE6.jpg
60KB, 450x600px
>>385275495
OMFGGGGGGGGG. This is becoming a reality!!?
>>
>>385282085
I can't believe someone is actually defending the unfinished mess that was Disc 2
>>
>>385282085
>half of the time it's a race against time then the world literally starts to end
Literally every other Squaresoft game from that era has this scenario and still gives you a ton of content before forcing you past a point of no return.
>>
File: Disc2.jpg (8KB, 250x188px) Image search: [Google]
Disc2.jpg
8KB, 250x188px
The way Id was written out was pretty funny
>>
>>385282085
You described most JRPGs right now
>>
File: Maria.Balthasar.full.583184.jpg (370KB, 1665x1850px) Image search: [Google]
Maria.Balthasar.full.583184.jpg
370KB, 1665x1850px
>>385276358
I love Junya Ishigaki's designs. He also did the mechanical designs for Gundam Wing. He has an art book with all this stuff. It's cool!

I also love pics of Maria and Siebzehn.
>>
>one in a million chance that Elly gets chosen to be Miang's host
>It somehow happens
Always bothered me
>>
>>385282367
That long-ass scene starting with Id trying to fuse with the Zohar and ending with a chat with the Wave Existence may be the single most ridiculous moment in JRPGs ever, and not in a good way.
>>
File: GoodQuestion.jpg (66KB, 856x482px) Image search: [Google]
GoodQuestion.jpg
66KB, 856x482px
>>385280938
There are plenty of other "mysterious" scenes in the game
>>385271871
>>385265484
pic related, ect

However, unlike scenes with the Gazel Ministry, those mysteries mostly pan out into something that's important to the overarching plot.
>>
>>385282172
Not that anon but I liked Disc 2 better than Disc 1. All killer no filler. None of that boring trodding through dungeons getting in meaningless fights solving non-puzzles just so you can get to the next story beat, nah Disc 2 jumps from story beat to story beat and from boss fight to boss fight. All the best parts are still in there without any of the boring going from A to B monotony.
>>
>>385283113
>None of that boring trodding through dungeons getting in meaningless fights solving non-puzzles just so you can get to the next story beat
Maybe you should play other genres. JRPGs clearly aren't your thing.
>>
>>385282154
No confirmation on Weltall-2 yet

Just Weltall, Weltall ID and Vierge so far.
>>
File: 05.jpg (334KB, 1600x1066px) Image search: [Google]
05.jpg
334KB, 1600x1066px
>>385277646
>Xenogears webms

This pleases me greatly.

>>385282031
This is a very succinct and balanced review!

>>385283303
I am fucking ecstatic over this! I've dreamed about Xenogears figures for 19 years. Do you know what website would be best for checking the status of these? I'd hate to miss a pre-order and watch them sell out instantly.
>>
>>385283223

After how long some of the dungeons are in Disc 1, it's not terrible to have a break.
>>
File: Gエレメンツ.webm (3MB, 360x280px) Image search: [Google]
Gエレメンツ.webm
3MB, 360x280px
It was either finish disc 2 and cut this scene or have this scene in the game but leave disc 2 spotty and unfinished.

They made the right call.
>>
File: StandTallAndShakeTheHeavens.jpg (3MB, 4784x3248px) Image search: [Google]
StandTallAndShakeTheHeavens.jpg
3MB, 4784x3248px
Xenogears is great.
>>
>>385262792
I beat it a week ago.

The game has really shitty parts, prison sector in Kislev being the worst, and the second disc hits you in the face with the fact that they ran out to time and money, but the game wraps up the story in a really cool and interesting way, finding out the truth behind Fei's past is a really great moment.
>>
>>385281964
Is it cheating to say every Gundam game that features Mobile Fighter G Gundams?
>>
File: Xenogears.full.583160.jpg (181KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
Xenogears.full.583160.jpg
181KB, 480x640px
>>385284050
Agree, and that webm makes me fucking drenched.
>>
File: G Gundam SFC.jpg (267KB, 700x525px) Image search: [Google]
G Gundam SFC.jpg
267KB, 700x525px
>>385284525
No him but I'd really only count the fighting games.
>>
>>385284016
A break shouldn't last fifteen hours and mainly consist of boring cutscenes.
>>
>>385284525
The newest Gundam game on PS4 does not.
>>
File: 16240235_p0.jpg (299KB, 1240x1000px) Image search: [Google]
16240235_p0.jpg
299KB, 1240x1000px
>>385284703
G-Elements spin off game fucking when?
>>
File: 1411782296525.jpg (175KB, 800x778px) Image search: [Google]
1411782296525.jpg
175KB, 800x778px
>>385285042
Yfw it's a dating VN.
That you can mode to be yaoi.
>>
File: Xenogears.600.620075.jpg (90KB, 600x508px) Image search: [Google]
Xenogears.600.620075.jpg
90KB, 600x508px
>>385285472
mod*
>>
>>385285472
Hyuga almost looks like a girl.
>>
>>385262792
XBC is the pleb of the franchise so possibly.
>>
File: 1425018562451.jpg (370KB, 828x1169px) Image search: [Google]
1425018562451.jpg
370KB, 828x1169px
>>385285669
For you.
>>
>>385285906
Reminder that Seraphita was somehow the leader of the Elements.
>>
>>385287541
Well,I don't think the other elements really cared about being the head of the team other then her.
>>
>>385264993
>xenoblade chross better than any other game
it really is bait
>>
>>385289501
X was better than blade
>>
>>385262792
it has this type of plot similar to Evangelion.
Game play wise 1st disk is awesome. you can choose to wonder around with or with out a mech or summon one in battle.
Thread posts: 190
Thread images: 55

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.