[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Most annoying castlevania game I've ever played yet. Does

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 10

File: latest.jpg (269KB, 1000x984px) Image search: [Google]
latest.jpg
269KB, 1000x984px
Most annoying castlevania game I've ever played yet. Does anyone actually have this one as their favorite?
>>
>>385235261
Yes, the difficulty is what made it the most engaging, satisfying and memorable. Also I fucking loved the ost, character art and Hugh vs Nathan interactions.

My favorite is probably Aria, but I'd have cotm high up there. Above Sotn for certain, that game is criminally overrated.

It brought the adventure, story and fun aspects of metroidvania but still had the classic and difficult gameplay style.
>>
Double tap to run is a cancer. It's infested Kirby as well.
>>
It's the best metroidvania, but that's kinda like being the smartest kid on the short bus or the least smelly Indian.
>>
I'm at Zombie Dragon right now and it's making me want to kill myself since the whole area has just been a bunch of bullshit.
>>
>>385235261
Best Metroidvania from a gameplay and level design perspective. It's "difficult" compared to the other metroidvanias but it's still piss easy in general. Shit-tier compared to the linear games
>>
>>385235657
The main "difficulty" comes from the game being clunky as hell.
>>
I haven't played enough to really say I have a favorite but I had absolutely no problem with the controls unlike most people.
>>
>>385235261
I like it but it's too fucking dark on regular GBA
>>
>>385236710
for you
>>
Circle of the Moon's aight.
>>
>>385235261
Its my favorite out of the GBA games.
>>
>>385236459
Download a ROM hack with auto run so you don't need to double tap, problem solved. Beyond that the game's supposed to control a bit like the older Castelvania games, it's like a bridge between Metroidvania and Classicvania.

>>385235915
When he does his ground pound attack and shit falls from the ceiling just spin your whip around. Trying to dodge that shit is like nearly impossible and you can whip it away with your spinning whip.

Also the only real flaws of this game are the need to double tap to run, the grinding to get cards instead of just finding them throughout the castle (you know, an exploration based game encuraging exploration, like SotN) and the fact that some bosses are pretty shitty. Beyond that the castle layout is great and the difficulty is very solid and fair. It's for sure underrated.
>>
Bones.
>>
>>385235915
Use the flamming sword to kill one of them, then whip away the other.
>>
File: waiting for morning.gif (3KB, 88x120px) Image search: [Google]
waiting for morning.gif
3KB, 88x120px
>>
>get hit from offscreen by an icicle
>get hit by another one while i'm still frozen
>60% of my health is gone

wow what fun
>>
>>385240587
>flaming sword
The only flamming thing I got is a whip cause of cards
>>
>>385236459
How are they clunky, exactly? Also, while dash as doubletap isn't 100% ideal, I much prefer it to them using some sort of automated dash where you walk for so many frames and then run.
>>
>>385238952
Mah nigguh

>>385235737
It isn't hard to double tap.
>>
Since I discovered the card glitch very recently(even though I played the game in 2001), I can't find myself fighting enemies fairly because some of the card effects being quite fun to use.
>>
Much easier than Axiom Verge where you had to double tap to do the phase dash thing. Double tapping once to run isn't a big deal at all.
>>
I agree, I think CoTM is pretty overrated, not helping how horribly it aged visually. It's honestly hard going back from Aria/Dawn to CoTM.

Not that it makes CoTM a bad game by any means
>>
File: maneater.png (25KB, 480x320px) Image search: [Google]
maneater.png
25KB, 480x320px
I realize this isn't the designated Bones thread but for my Skeleton run would you guys consider this a Skeleton Soul?
>mfw I realized I can't get Claimh Solais in this run because I can't get past the waterfall
>>
>>385241961
No, it's not.
>>
File: Portrait_of_Ruin.jpg (58KB, 465x416px) Image search: [Google]
Portrait_of_Ruin.jpg
58KB, 465x416px
This is the best game
>>
You can wield a Rose Sword in Circle of the Moon.
That's fabulous.

>>385241961
then get Balmung, Kaladbolg or Final Sword instead
>>
>>385235753
>americans always complain about other people being smelly
>you can smell their diabetes from a mile away
>>
>>385242149
Best of the DS games anyway.
>>
>>385241851
>pretty overrated
There's a big divide and most people slurp up SOTN/Aria/Dawn to the point where any criticisms of those games besides maybe talking about how easy they are is considered sacrilege. COTM's largest complaint from people is doubletap to run, which while not optimal is a baby's complaint. There are other way more valid complaints, like Dracula being not a fun fight and cards being a bit too RNG focused.
>>
>>385241217
Yeah, one of the card do that. Maybe Mars+salamender
>>
>>385243050
Y'know, I don't get those people. Aria and Dawn are probably my favorite games as well but I can see the flaws in them.
>>
>>385235261
This was the first game I ever had on GBA as a kid, I played it for hours daily.
>>
>>385242149
It would probably be my favorite if it wasn't for that fucking circus level.
>>
>>385243753
There are two fucking circus levels.
>>
>>385243753
Both of those are shit, especially because you have to go through each of them twice effectively if you want 100% map completion
>>
>>385235915
Literally git gud
He telegraphs all his attacks not even hard
>>
File: bird_.jpg (221KB, 1070x723px) Image search: [Google]
bird_.jpg
221KB, 1070x723px
>Armor enemies

Why do they hit so much harder than everything else?
>>
>>385243753
Yeah fuck that shit, the terrible music there didn't help either
>>
>>385242149
CHARLOTTE
>>
File: image.jpg (37KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
37KB, 480x360px
>>385235261
Me, you fuck
>>
>>385235261
I liked it, but it's unplayable without fast forward and save states
>>
Circle of the Moon is way too big and way too tediously hard. The lack of save points, especially ones closest to bosses is what really kills it. Sometimes a game being hard doesn't make it better.
>>
>>385235261
It's my favorite. It's also proved to me the the GBA could push some great tunes.
>>
>>385244332
JONATHAN!
>>
>>385244610
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RaZtKUt4MA

This song is forever burned into my skull because of this game, goddamn.
>>
File: 1495902772439.jpg (65KB, 500x383px) Image search: [Google]
1495902772439.jpg
65KB, 500x383px
>>385235261
But it was my first one... IT'S SPECIAL TO ME, DAMN IT
>>
>>385244516
I can't think of any bosses that were super far from a save point or a teleporter room. Even Dracula was like 3 rooms away from a teleporter, and you could run back and save after beating his first form.
>>
>>385235737
>Double tap to run is a cancer.
This. Running from Hugh was pure aids due to this.

Card system is stupid too, cards are way too rare. I played the game again a few days ago and I finished it with only 5 cards total.
>>
>>385244516
Is this game the Dark Souls of Castlevania?
>>
>>385244830
Same here!
I got into Castlevania around 2000-ish through a friend lending me CV4. Later when the GBA dropped in 2001, CotM was my second GBA game. A friend of my brother later gave him a copy of Bloodlines for the Genesis and I was shocked to see the track you shared was borrowed from Bloodlines.

Good shit.
>>
Guys I played all gba titles in a row on my pc and now I want to play the ds games on an emulator as well.
I tried out DoS on desmume but that lagged terribly
What do you guys use to play these ds games?
>>
>>385245276
Are you so bad that double tap is difficult for you? Maybe it's just because I'm used to playing lots of older games, but plenty had doubletap to run.
>>
>>385244507
>and save states
That's just you being bad at the game.
>>
>>385235261
Personal favorite as I got it with Mario kart when I got my gba. Silver gba and this game, great times. I played every extra mode too. Thief sucked
>>
>>385245643
i use the actual cart, though i dont have OoE. Try getting a flashcart if you can.
>>
File: WHEELS.png (21KB, 480x320px) Image search: [Google]
WHEELS.png
21KB, 480x320px
Gladiator Soul Best Soul.
>>
>>385244830
MAH NIGGA!
>>
>>385245285
No, because this game isn't shit.
>>
File: Offart33.jpg (57KB, 530x480px) Image search: [Google]
Offart33.jpg
57KB, 530x480px
Hello this is cutest castlevania girl
Not that theres much competition
>>
File: 4a-innerhallsofcastlevania.png (214KB, 5952x1632px) Image search: [Google]
4a-innerhallsofcastlevania.png
214KB, 5952x1632px
People like to shit on Rondo's level design, but I just replayed a few stages and I think Stage 4 and 7 are actually pretty good. The first screen isn't much, but on the second screen you have to traverse spinning blades while dealing with the skeletons. After that you can either go right to face an uphill climb against boulders/ride a boulder on the pulley while dodging the skull snakes or press the button and head up stairs for more fleamen and spikes. I would argue that Rondo stage 4 is probably one of the best stage 4s in the series.
>>
>>385247693
>that
>cute
Well, if you say so..
>>
Where the fuck does this franchise take place?
Some games say Transylvania, others say Wallachia, others still say the entirety of Europe, and I'm pretty sure one said Valacia
>>
>>385245643
Really? My non-gaming laptop could run DoS at max framerate (60? Felt like it). Though sometimes it would become lagville or normal framerate when replaying later on for whatever reason.
>>
>Jupiter + Thunderbird halves poison damage
neat
>>
>>385248681
What emulator?
>>
>>385248559
Dracula's castle is usually always in Romania except in Aria of Sorrow where it's in an eclipse. The entirety of europe really only came into play in Bloodlines where there were levels in Romania, Greece, Italy, Germany, France, and England.
>>
>>385249228
DesMuMe, same as you. Try fidgeting with the settings.
>>
CotM was my first Castlevania game, come at me, not my favorite though
>>
I unironically enjoyed Harmony of Dissonance
>>
Quite enjoyable to play but you do need to read the instruction manual to play properly, which I never had unfortunately.

Double tap to run is only annoying for people emulating it; not an issue when playing on original hardware.
>>
The controls have a couple of problems that can be extremely annoying.

However, it's the BEST GBA Castlevania at the very least.

And fuck you, it's one of my favorites
>>
>>385249920
Also, Fighter Mode is fun as fuck.
>>
>>385249915
Yeah, me too.

I don't understand why people doesn't even talk about it, to be honest.
>>
what game has the best/most enjoyable mobility options?
>>
>>385250930
Harmony of Dissonance
>>
>>385249915
Same, but it was the first Castlevania I played so I guess there is some nostalgia to it.
>>
>>385249915
>terrible music
>terrible graphics
>hard to get to where you need to be because of shitty 2nd castle gimmick and no warps untill you're at the halfway point
>ridicilously overpowered spells trivialize every boss

Granted Juste was fast as fuck which was fun but otherwise the game is just not good.
>>
>>385235261
It's a great game released in a shit hardware. Emulate and don't be a faggot about the mild difficulty.
>>
>>385235261
It's the best game in the series. It's as "clunky" as the classic Castlevania games were.
>>
Has best whip spin in the game.

Buzzsaw whip spin is BEST WHIP SPIN
>>
>>385242149
Worst DS game. Character switching is a shit gimmick, levels are trash, and the only good boss fight was Death/Dracula tag team.
>>
>>385235261
More like Casualvania, right?
Thread posts: 83
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.