[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I've been watching Daggerfall for Unity? The oldest ES I've

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: Daggerfall_(1).jpg (163KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Daggerfall_(1).jpg
163KB, 1920x1080px
I've been watching Daggerfall for Unity? The oldest ES I've played is Morrowind but had no idea how huge Daggerfall really is and now I'm hyped.

Does anyone know how stable this Unity one is if you've played it or if Daggerfall original is playable to any extent?
>>
Both Arena and Daggerfall are officially free, you can get the full games from Behtesda's Official Elder Scrolls site.

I remember playing Daggerfall when I was just a kid, just wandering the huge world and getting lost in dungeons was so fun.
I didnt really get to do anything since I didnt quite understood where I had to go, but the world is so huge you cant get bored. Well, at least until you realize its Radnomly generated and some people find that as a drawback.
>>
>>385217372
No but I've read it was randomly generated in development then 'saved' that way? It's not like Minecraft for example..

And I know they're free(Only just now to be honest with you) but I'm A worried that it's going to be a pain in the ass to run on XP kek and B that the unity version has a lot of detail omitted.

There's also my fear of how to make a build not being transferable, also that allegedly bad swiping combat system
>>
Fk it, I'm just going to black my way through this and see if I can get either or working then learn how to play. The honestly need to make another ES like this and not as shit as ESO because these huge cities man, takes real days to physically walk across the map, this looks sick
>>
>>385217715
Well in Minecraft, the wolrd is randomly generated and then it stays the way you saw it, only the parts you havent been to or seen are the ones randomly generated.
Is that what you are referring to?
I believe Daggerfall was like that too, I dont quite remember, last time I played was 2001.

When I discovered they were free a few years ago, I got them running on DOSbox, but I believe you can emulate WinXP and it will run just as well. At least thats what I do for my old games. I use Wirtual Box and WinXP 32 bit. Everything runs pretty well.
>>
>>385218990
Yes that's what I mean but from what I'm reading in comments Daggerfall isn't like that. They used a program during development to randomly generate dungeons then used those generated dungeons in release so like strictly speaking they are randomly generated by a program but when you enter a dungeon it will always be the same for everyone. You know honestly I and everyone here could be totally wrong seeing as I've never played it but the guy I'm watching is reminicisng about some specific dungeon and saying shit like "Oh there should have been a bear here" so I'm kind of assuming it's all released as is and not generated for each person. No idea why I'm going into such extensive detail because even if it is I'll still be enjoying this.

Sorry, is it straight forward to get this running on Virtual Box or do you have any kind of guide? I'm not technologically retarded but a lot goes over my head
>>
>>385219637
Well, Once you install Virtual Box and Install WInXP on it, its just like having a computer in your computer.

On there you just intsall the game using the Install Wizard just like you would install any other program.

If it doesn work, perhaps try using Win98 or 2000. But WinXP should run it well.
>>
>>385220243
Oh sorry I mean that I have XP but I'm following you now. What I meant was I need to be able to get this to run on my shitty XP laptop, It's installed and appears to run but it's like uh very choppy and the audio is all split up, any ideas?
>>
>>385220386
Your laptop should be able to run it well, its not very demanding for, say, 2003 standards.
Maybe its a problem with some drivers, old games some times have trouble with that.

Try searching on google, I really cant help you more than that, sorry. Maybe reinstalling it or updating your old XP drivers to their latest versions,perhaps the game is not using the integrated Graphics card properly.
>>
>>385220837
Yeah no sorry for wasting your time a simple google hailed results about increasing and decreasing the cycles the engine goes through or some shit and I got it running fine! Kind of just fucking about still but I kind of want to get that unity version running
>>
>>385216582
Wait a few years. Daggerfall for Unity is nowhere near feature complete to be playable in the sense that it would give you a similar experience to the base game.
>>
Have fun navigating through gigantic maze corridor dungeons with a shit map.
>>
>>385217715
>>385218990
>>385219637
Yes Daggerfall was pregenerated and partly hand designed and the world is basically the same every time you play. Procedural generation was used heavily in making the cities, landmass and non key quest dungeons.
>>
>>385223239
This is basically precisely what I was worried about, shame because that HUD is really overbearingly obtrusive...

>>385223416
I kind of enjoy that though. You should feel lost in a dungeon. (wait for me to actually get into the game and kms)

>>385223443
The cities are sick tho, none of this bullshit small hamlet looking shit
>>
>>385223862
>The cities are sick tho, none of this bullshit small hamlet looking shit
Definitely but it's also lacking a lot of detail that would make them feel more than just pointless buildings one after another. I'd love to see a modern game do something similar even if it came at the expense of graphical fidelity. I want a massive fantasy world to just dive into.
>>
>>385224534
Alright yeah I concure but could you imagine trying to make something the size of daggerfall, density of cities also, in this age. Even if you could say use the construction set with a random generator to create huge cities with interiors and npcs it would still feel like it had no personality and people would complain about it not being up to current expectations.

For some reason all I can think of is that 'We Happy Few' game like it's all these sprawling cities with people and shit but it all feels false and generated.. idk
>>
Also considering ESO encompasses most of the map is it really that bad? I've heard that most of what let's it down is due to it being an MMO, do you think it work work as a fleshed out typical ElderScrolls?

Personally I despise the Skyrim 'aesthetic' and levelling/perk system
>>
>>385224848
Sure it's difficult to get away entirely from it feeling generated but there's a lot that could be done with modern processing power to make it feel more alive and have more detail in the world compared to what Daggerfall had. If done with a stylized simplified graphical aesthetic then the biggest amount of work would go into making the functional procedural generators required and authoring the content to make sure quality is consistent. It wouldn't be that much bigger an effort to make than Daggerfall was back in the day.
>>
I was curious and happened to check it out last week. Its really unfinished as they say. I know there is a fanmade patch for Daggerfall though that fixes a lot of stuff and supposedly also improves it visually. You should check the general on /vg/ OP ,i dont remember much since i last tried Daggerfall
>>
>>385225567
You say this but I honestly feel like it's a little rose tinted. At one point Radiant AI was the big seller for making things feel alive and in reality the only way they went forward was to have people do little jobs out in the street and things. But yeah the true difficulty is creating the mass of it.

>>385225578
There appears to be a huge amount missing and they seem to be focusing on such minor details like grass and shit, eh I'm not exactly following development. Yeah fair enough my intention wasn't to start off a general about daggerfall so I will do, although the speculation about making a game of the same size is pretty enthralling
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.