[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>developer thinks violence in video games is bad >makes

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 1

File: 424437.png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
424437.png
2MB, 1920x1080px
>developer thinks violence in video games is bad
>makes one of the most violent video games of the decade

>developer thinks the gameplay of military shooters is bland, cliched, and boring
>makes their military shooter have the most bland, cliched, and boring gameplay ever
What did they mean by this?
>>
>chessboard has two hinges
>doesn't fold
>>
>>385151759
Reminds me of the movie Funny Games.
>hate horror movies and it's fans
>make a boring bland horror movie to prove horror movies suck
>>
>>385151946

WTF IS THIS YOU FUCKING CHEAP-ASS GOOK CHESSBOARD
>>
The game really was fucking awful on all levels. Anyone seen praising this game should have their opinion on auto-ignore.
>>
>>385152091
I was going to bring up exactly this in the previous thread. I genuinely enjoyed Spec Ops and I genuinely enjoyed Funny Games, but as far as their patronizing "message" goes, it's just retarded. You look around an industry and see all of these things that you hate and disagree with, so your brilliant plan to combat that is to make a product that's literally identical to the products you feel are so immoral and wrong and that commits all of the sins and flaws that they do? What does that accomplish? That doesn't change the industry for the better, it doesn't cause me to reflect and take an introspective look at myself, it just makes you look like a hypocritical, pretentious retard desperate to feel superior to others while doing nothing deserving of superiority. Making something shitty while winking at me and showing you're perfectly aware of how shitty it is doesn't make your creation less shitty--if anything, it does the opposite.
>>
>>385153375
You're in an industry knee deep in mediocrity with the same shit pushed out every month. Your options are make something new, which is difficult unless you want it to be self published, or make the same rehashed crap but claim it's a deconstruction and use that to cover your ass.
>>
>>385153625
Ironically I forgot the third option which is to "take the moral high-ground and just stop." But as that would be stupid considering that if you're in the industry in the first place you obviously wanted to be there.
>>
>>385152401
How can you hate the visuals or the soundtrack?
>>
>>385151759
>makes one of the most violent video games of the decade

Christ it only shows you haven't play many games in your short life kiddo. This type of "violence" is timid in comparison to, for example, Gears of War. The only thing differentiating this game from other bland gruesome games is the narrative of "muh soldiers, muh civilians and muh morals" which also is terribly performed.

>developer thinks the gameplay of military shooters is bland, cliched, and boring
>makes their military shooter have the most bland, cliched, and boring gameplay ever

Checks out 100%.

But why the fuck are threads about this game appear all of a sudden? Was there a humble bundle or some shit? You people are 6 years late for the party.

Also
>What did they mean by this?

Just sage this shit thread
>>
>>385151759
>>makes their military shooter have the most bland, cliched, and boring gameplay ever

You aren't joking. I tried to play it to see why it gets so much praise and got bored a few hours in before I could even figure out what was happening plot wise.

It is one of the blandest, generic, boring games I've ever played. It felt like Uncharted with everything but the shooting segments stripped away.
>>
>>385151759
I actually had fun with the gameplay. It only gets challenging in the second half, but it kinda does. And some guns are pretty fun, AA-12 for example.

It's the first cover shooter I played, though.
>>
>>385154249
Not that anon but come the fuck on, I have played this bullshit as a "hidden gem" recommendation and nothing, I repeat, nothing was memorable about this game unless we count the horrid aftertaste and most mediocre TPP experiance.

Also visuals were nothing special, sand and closed locations that get way too overused.
>>
>>385153625
>>385153789
Bullshit. Yager were given three and only three mandates by 2K: call the game Spec Ops, have a military shooter theme, and tack on a multiplayer mode. That's it. Other than that, no restrictions. They had almost complete control of the game. They had more freedom with this game than every other non-indie developer that year combined. And what did they do? They pissed it away by making the gameplay as mechanically cookie-cutter as humanly possible. The story, the voice acting, and the art direction were all top notch, but the actual core of the game as well as its preachy, fourth-wall breaking message were hot garbage and that's inexcusable.
>>
>>385154424
>But why the fuck are threads about this game appear all of a sudden?
Some e-celb probably made a video trashing/praising it.
>>
>>385154875
I don't know, I don't remember any game using sand in the way this game did. I enjoyed it a lot even though I thought story was a bit stupid.
>>
>>385154929
>They had more freedom with this game than every other non-indie developer that year
Yeah, freedom to make a game that won't get any cash and be doomed to obscurity. They went with generic shit to get the frat-bros into buying it and then slapped on the "deep and lasting consequence of your action" to get the pretentious idiots as a secondary audience. If you think I'm trying to defend them in any shape way or form you got the wrong end of the stick.
>>
>>385154987
>I don't remember any game using sand in the way this game did

Mate that was just a dumb mechanic. Shooting glass to drop sand on people only in set locations is nothing great.
>>
I thought Specs Op was pretty good. It isn't about hating shooters or anything, at least that's not how it came across to me, it was just about painting them in a different perspective.
I mean, yeah it was flawed, but i enjoyed the game nonethless, and appreciate what it wanted to do.

Anyone got the video that compares Welkin's attitude early to how he acts later? Like his melee kills getting increasingly more violent and his kill lines becoming less professional.
>>
>>385154424
>>385154941
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dzstxE_5Rc
>>
>>385155329
I'm saying about the visuals. It's a sandy post-apocalypse. It was just visually striking. I also liked how you explored wrecked buildings like the hotel with blue and gold accents. It's very memorable.

I'm not saying the game is good, but I enjoyed it anyway.
>>
>>385155454
>I also liked how you explored wrecked buildings like the hotel with blue and gold accents
>blue and gold
Well I fucking wonder why.
>>
>>385154987
>enemies conveniently in front of a huge window bursting with sand
>squadmates literally yell, WALKER, SHOOT THE WINDOW!"
>it takes them all out and clears the only way forward for you
This wasn't just the first level, it was the whole game. The only time sand came into play was in scripted "shoot the glass to kill everyone" moments, scripted sandstorm moments, or occasionally when you'd throw a grenade and the sand would kick up in the air acting like a flashbang. That's it. It was one of the main selling points of the game and it feels like a sloppy afterthought.
>>
>>385155697
It was supposed to be bad :^)
>>
>>385155697
See: >>385155454
>>
Spec Ops threads really prove how plebian the /v/ weebs really are, disgusting.
>>
>>385156038
I agree with you that aesthetically it was beautiful and unique but mechanically it was painfully dull and uninspired and might as well have not even been in the game.
>>
>>385156639
Honestly I wasn't even thinking about that mechanic when I wrote the post.
>>
>>385155445
this guy is fucking brain dead. all he does is repeat what everyone has already said about games that came out years ago
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.