[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can someone explain to me what they found so good about the gameplay

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 238
Thread images: 24

File: Doom_Cover.jpg (65KB, 260x370px) Image search: [Google]
Doom_Cover.jpg
65KB, 260x370px
Can someone explain to me what they found so good about the gameplay of nuDoom? I've replayed it thrice, twice on Nightmare, in an effort to understand the game, that maybe there's some hidden genius underneath which I've not yet fully understood, but whenever I play the game my mind goes on auto-pilot and enters a vegetative state where the things happening on screen are rarely challenging enough to warrant actually shifting my tactics, but lethal enough to exercise some degree of carefulness.

I've looked all over the internet for in depth analyses for the game design brilliance everyone must've been experiencing, yet most articles and videos I could find were brief synopses of the game itself with an additional 'I liked it' tacked on top, or deeper insights on aspects such as the soundtrack or the state of reboots which aren't subjects I particularly cared about.

Was everyone really that fucking starved for a first-person shooter about bloody carnage not hampered by realism, role-playing game elements, and procedural generation that they were willing to gobble up anything?

I don't think it's a bad game and it's certainly a step in the right direction, but at the same time I also find it to be a good example of what not to do in a FPS and how to learn from it, yet most people seem to gloss over the latter. Please tell me, what makes this game so good?
>>
>>385109767
The original DOOM games were extremely simple run and gun games which don't take any skill or thought.

New DOOM gives a modern version of this. That's literally all it is. There's nothing overly special about it, you like it or you don't. Personally, I enjoyed it. But not enough to play through it more than twice. I prefer games with more depth to them.
>>
>>385109767
>Can someone explain to me what they found so good about the gameplay of nuDoom?
Everything
If you didn't like it, that's fine, you don't have to like everything
>>
File: New Doom in nutshell - d4.jpg (140KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
New Doom in nutshell - d4.jpg
140KB, 500x500px
>>385109767
There is nothing good about nuDuum. It's all just fake hype, created by aggressive guerrilla and open marketing of the Zenimax, which went to the degree of sending real deal C&D threats to Hiro last year, forcing him to block posting of certain D4 related pictures and Webms that worked as negative criticism towards the gaem.

It's not a "Doom game". It's not a "throwback to 90s shooters". It's a goddamn modern, console-oriented AAA shooter, merely (poorly) masquerading as Doom.
There's so much pure bullshit, that I find it shocking that people even dare to claim that this shit is somehow "good" :

>Full of cinematic shit, including cinematics.
>guns suck, unless you upgrade
>barely can hold any ammo, unless you level-up
>armor is literally a 2nd HP bar
>Checkpoints.
>maps are linear pipes connecting obligatory combat arenas you get locked into.
>glory kills are borderline mandatory, as you gain very little ammo and HP otherwise
>Chainsaw is a literal 1-hit kill tool, that also refills your ammo
>platforming sections.
>you get around half-a dozen enemies on screen at once, at best. No Pinkie packs.
>rune challenges are just annoying filler.
>everything glows.
>some fucking robo guy literally handholds you through the game, via radio.
>no mods, and the Snapmap is literally just all about connecting handful of pre-made rooms together, with strict enemy limit.
>only 4 players max in Snapmaps.
>MP is Gaylo-tier shit.
>Spider is the last boss, and is not hitscan anymore either.
>bosses have HP bars
>ending was literally a slap to face + "lol, look forward to teh sequel, goy!"

>>385109985
>The original DOOM games were extremely simple run and gun games which don't take any skill or thought.
Spoken like a pure GenZ faggot who has never played original Doom games, or its clones.
The amount of depth, fast paced tactics, and attention to balance in gameplay totally tower over every other shooter released in past few years.
>>
>>385109767
I liked it better than old Doom
>>
>>385110245
Imagine being this autistic.
>>
>>385109767
>I beat a game 3 times solely trying to figure out why it's fun! I wasn't having fun for the first 2 1/2 times, but I pushed through the 2nd half of the 3rd playthrough to try to find some sort of redeeming quality!

Low quality bait.
>>
Shoot things
Punch things
Find keys
Find hidden easter eggs
Repeat

It's a fun loop
>>
>>385110245
This pretty much, there are many deep rooted floors with the games design that everyone seems to ignore just because it's not another cod or halo wannabe.
Whatever it is, it ain't Doom and it ain't good.
>>
>>385109767

>played through it 3 times

sounds like you enjoyed it my friend, why dont you explain to me why it's so good
>>
>>385110245
>ITS JUST MARKETERS
The absolute state of your life. Laughing at all the bullshit in your post too, like unintentionally complaining about having to use more than one gun because you think you should have endless ammo, and platforming sections, as well as the typical "durr only twelve enemies" shit when it's been proven statistically that Doom 1 and 2 very rarely break that amount of enemies on screen at once.
>>
>>385109767
the Xbox generation has never played a single Doom game or the likes, and now that they get what's practically a reskinned Hard Reset -game, coupled with the big hype machine Bethesda always kickstarts before their new game, people go nuts.

It's very sad that minor, superficial details, like not having to reload your weapons manually, is big enough "carrot" for console players to become totally blind of the monotonous, repetitive and shallow gameplay the new DOOM has. The lack of focus is even more apparent with the tacked-on, generic modern trash features, like the menu-surfing and upgrade tree shit, or the way most ""secrets"" are not secrets at all and merely containt pointless collectibles instead of usable supplies.

Here's a fine video that tackles most of my own criticism I have towards the game as well:
https://youtu.be/v3OY0hDt5Sw
>>
>>385110245
>The amount of depth, fast paced tactics, and attention to balance in gameplay totally tower over every other shooter released in past few years.
I was half believing you were not trolling but this was too obvious, you took it too far
>>
>>385110721
Stop advertising your YouTube channel you fucking faggot.
>>
>>385110214
I don't care whether anyone liked it, my question is WHAT people liked about the game and thought what made it 'good' from a game design perspective.

>>385110435
I like to know why things work the way they do (or not). I believe the best way to do so is to get good at a game, so you'll have to suffer through everything and reach a level where the developers can say 'you understand how the game works' before I'm able to formulate an opinion that's actually useful to anyone (as autistic as me). Yet I feel that people who think positively of the game let the game get away with a ton of shit and rarely ever explain their opinions in depth.
>>
>>385109767
it's arcadey
>>
>>385110721
>anon posts an constructive opinion
>"Here's a fine video that tackles most of my own criticism I have towards the game as well:"

Fuck off.
>>
>>385110387
>>385110708
>greentext sperging and blatant ignoring of the criticism.
Yeah, that's how Beth-fucks always tend to reply to criticism. I'm surprised that you did not pull out your two most spammed nazi-cards: "Y-you didn't even play teh gaem!!" and "Y-you must be an underaged CoD fag!!!!".

>it's been proven statistically that Doom 1 and 2 very rarely break that amount of enemies on screen at once.
Show me these "statistics", please.
I can shoot them down in no time at all, just by playing the game and aggroing every single enemy there is on the map on UV difficulty. Vola - instant 100-200 enemies after your arse, active and hunting you, even in the same room.

And that' exactly the thing you Zeni-morons don't seem to want to admit: nuDuum CANNOT show more than 12 real enemies on the LEVEL at once. Original Doom games can have TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY enemies, already sitting and roaming around the map, right from the get-go.
>>
Because, much like Wolfenstein New Order, it's a simple game. There's the baddies. Kill them. It pays lip service to the modern demand for a story, but no more than that. It doesn't try to reinvent the wheel, or show you a war movie, or teach you morals or some bullshit like that.

And that works, it's enough to make it a good game. In a time without great games, that puts it on top.
>>
>>385110708
>get locked in a room until you kill 12 demons thus breaking all le fast non stop action
defend this bethcuck
>>
>>385110841
Still no arguments, other than "STAP PROVING THAT OTHER PPL DONT LIKE MUH GAME!!" ?

>>385110915
Same goes to you. Jesus, I'm aggreeing with OP, what's your problem?
What kind of "LAA LAA CANT HEAR U!" cult opposes clear evidence and citations to other people's work?
>>
>>385109767
>Not enjoying simplistic action-packed bloodbaths kicking demon ass
>Not playing the old schoolish multiplayer
>>
>>385109767
>Was everyone really that fucking starved for a first-person shooter about bloody carnage not hampered by realism, role-playing game elements, and procedural generation that they were willing to gobble up anything?
Yes. As shocking as it might be, there is now an entire generation or two, that has never experienced anything else than Halo and CoD. People that literally do not know what DooM is.

Just like you said, it's faaar from the flawless messiah title people praise it to be. It certainly plays or feels nothing like DooM either, something the "rip&tear!"-memesters apparently don't seem to understand.
>>
>>385110245
Ammo is nearly infinite as along as you keep using the chainsaw to get more. I'll say that the flaw is that you don't need to swap weapon as often as you should.
>platforming sections
Original game had them. It's nice to have a change of pace sometimes. Arcade mode lets you skip these sections.
>Spider is the last boss, and is not hitscan anymore either
It's not a bad thing. What's the point of having hitscan enemies? Taking cover?
>bosses have HP bars
And? Is it too video gamey for you? Yet you complain that there is a story

Some of your points are valid, but God, it's like you want to nitpick just for the joy of it.
>>
>>385111370
>Ammo is nearly infinite as along as you keep using the chainsaw to get more.
That's just one manifestation of the issues of this game's issues. It is technically impossible to run out of ammo, because there's sooo much of it just lying around in the combat rooms, AND you can always refill with the fucking chainsaw that gets rid of bigger enemies instantly to boot. It's the fact that you cannot carry a reasonable amount of it that makes the game tedious to play, on top of removing the exploration of levels, retreating and moving to tactically better areas to take down the foes, and so on.

>Original game had them
I literally just finished D1 again mere months ago. I don't recall a single tower-glimbing section with no enemies and insta-gib bottomless pits below.
Arcade mode is shit and not an answer.

>What's the point of having hitscan enemies?
having variation in the enemy library. Foes that you want to focus on first because of their "instantaneous"damage inflicting capabilities. Most of the Doom's hitscanners, the Zombieguys, were balanced with the fact that they're slow and weakest of the enemies, and would also provide you scraps of ammo when they die. NuDuum has nothing of the sort in the enemy collection, meaning much slimmer possibility space.
>Is it too video gamey for you?
nope, just totally off the point and uncharacteristic for a Doom game.

Doom4 literally felt like a 3D clone of Binding Of Isaac, made by an AAA console studio, than a Doom-style FPS.
>>
>>385111862
>platforming
Doom 1 or 2 didn't had tower climbing sections, given that jumping was impossible in those levels, but there were some levels with walking in very narrow pathways with pits on both sides, the closest those games could have related with platforming.
>about hitscaning
That variety of enemies would have required having a large number of enemies on screen, with is something modern consoles can't do.
>Uncharacteristic for a Doom game.
It doesn't have to resemble the original games in every single aspect.

I still agree with most of your points. The thing is that if you can make a list with 19 complaints about D44m, every other FPS made in the last 10 years would need a full essay filled with complaints about their gameplay.

D44m is not perfect (and no arcade FPS will be perfect as long as they keep being developed with consoles in mind) but I've never felt better shooting, aiming and jumping in a recent FPS since SS:TSE (from 2002 !). The genre is dead and if anything can have the chance to revive it, is this game.
>>
>>385112830
>D44m is not perfect (and no arcade FPS will be perfect as long as they keep being developed with consoles in mind) but I've never felt better shooting, aiming and jumping in a recent FPS since SS:TSE (from 2002 !)
Then I'd get into Devil Daggers or wait until Overload comes out of Early Access
>>
>>385110245
fuck off you autistic cunt
>>
File: 7-23.png (29KB, 227x220px) Image search: [Google]
7-23.png
29KB, 227x220px
>doom was ever good
>>
>>385110245
>glory kills are borderline mandatory, as you gain very little ammo and HP otherwise
opinion disregarded, ultra-nightmare players barely use glory kills because they open you up for getting hit right as you get out of the animation and mess up your tracking. also, there are no-upgrade and even pistol only ultra-nightmare playthroughs out there, and their main goal is just not getting hit.
>>
>>385110245

what a fucking killjoy, this shit triggers me to no end.
>>
>>385112830
>but there were some levels with walking in very narrow pathways with pits on both sides, the closest those games could have related with platforming
a thing that happened like twice or so per game, and usually gave you an exit from pit trap if you looked around. Totally different thing in the end.

>That variety of enemies would have required having a large number of enemies on screen, with is something modern consoles can't do.
Finally somebody admits the true reason.
Too bad it's practically bullshit. A game like Serious Sam 3, a PC title from 2011, that could have 2000 enemies on the level and screen at once, was ported to goddamn Xbox 360 and PS3 (obviously with visual cuts tho'). The PC version alone ran fucking fine on my 2009 model Asus laptop.

>It doesn't have to resemble the original games in every single aspect.
it doesn't have ANY resemblance at all, unless first-person view is all you require.

Yeah, D4 is a tiny weeny step to "right direction", but its achievements and shit have been blown out of all reasonable proportions. Had it not had the Doom-name on it, it'd experienced the same fate as the SW reboot and Hard-Reset: totally ignored by most.
>>
File: ?.png (134KB, 348x331px) Image search: [Google]
?.png
134KB, 348x331px
>>385109767
If you play the whole game thrice, twice on nightmare, thats the point where maybe you just like the game, dude. It doesn't take a whole playthrough to get the jist of a game and figure out wether you like it or not.
>>
>>385109767
>Can someone explain to me what they found so good about the gameplay of nuDoom?

Well, it's literally Doom on steroids. Doom but with better gameplay, more punch in the weapons, better graphics, better art design, better soundtracks and sound design, better animations. And the little things like optional hidden stuff if you're into exploring, optional challenges that are sometimes extremely fun, optional glory kills that are just genius, fit perfectly the setting and don't slow down the pace, and optional weapon upgrades if you're into customization.

It's Doom but with everything better.
>>
File: Final_Doom_Coverart.png (241KB, 338x403px) Image search: [Google]
Final_Doom_Coverart.png
241KB, 338x403px
>>385109985
>The original DOOM games were extremely simple run and gun games which don't take any skill or thought.
Did you actually play the doom games on a difficulty other than Hurt Me Plenty? If you seriously think WADs like Plutonia Experiment don't require ANY skill and thought at all to get through, then I'd like to see what skillful and in-depth games you play.

Has Snapmap improved since i last checked in on it guys? It seemed like a pretty much just Halo forge last time i saw it. I realize that with Zenimax involvement we'll never ever get Doom Builder levels of good, but has it gotten better?
>>
>>385114189
>Well, it's literally Doom on steroids.
you mean on anesthetics, don't you?
Everything but polycount are literally downgraded, dumped down adn butchered.

>>385114197
>expecting GenZ Xbots to have even touched Doom1-2
your #1 mistake.
Also, most people are more aware of the "rip n tearrr!" may mays that the unreleased (yet oddly popular) comic book adaptation spawned, than the actual mood and style of the game.

>Has Snapmap improved since i last checked in on it guys?
No.
>>
>>385111862
hell razers are hitscan. Wtf are you talking about?
>>
>>385114623
>hell razers are hitscan.
No, they are laser-emitters. Totally different thing.
Nothing in nuDuum fires bullets at you.
>>
>>385113426
Whether I like a game or not is secondary, I only wish to replay it so I can get better at it and formulate a more well-informed opinion

>>385114189
>more punch in the weapons
You think the new plasma gun has more 'punch' than the old?
>sound design
This is plain wrong from a functional standpoint. So here we have a first-person game where you tend to get surrounded from all sides and crowd control is kind of important, so you want to know where all enemies are at all times. You can't see everywhere around you with a first-person perspective, so it's a good thing you can hear what's going on around you -- this not being the case in nuDoom. Enemy footsteps are barely fucking audible and so are the sound tics whenever a projectile is traveling or being fired, let alone pinpointing the direction they came from. An Imp can creep at you from behind without making a single sound, why should I not be able to hear the Imp? And even if there are any such sound tics which give you situational awareness, the terrible fucking audio mixing and the loud-as-fuck soundtrack will surely cover up any such sounds.
>optional hidden stuff if you're into exploring
The thing about the exploration in OG Doom is that it wasn't entirely separate from combat sections. Power-ups you found through exploration weren't exclusively limited to arenas like in nuDoom when they are presented in plain sight. Here the exploration is mindnumbing because you aren't shooting anything, but just platforming. At least when F.E.A.R. didn't have you shooting things, it compensated with its spooky atmosphere to keep you on your toes. nuDoom's only atmosphere comes to fruition when you're killing shit, which is not the case during exploration. Secrets in nuDoom are as simple as going off the beaten path, and some times what constitutes as a secret is ridiculous.
>>
It's okay to like both the old thing and the new thing.

They are completely different games.

It's okay to like things.
>>
>>385115315
It's not okay to, buy shit games and feet shit publishers money that use underhanded means that make sure their product comes out on top.

It is okay to like shit games, I can't argue there though.
>>
>>385113041
Thanks for the suggestions. Overload looks like it's made entirely of placeholder assets, but it could be fun.
>>385113387
>A game like Serious Sam 3, a PC title from 2011, that could have 2000 enemies on the level
For step SS3 took forward, it also took 3 steps back.
Let's hope that Croteam get their shit together and SS4 is finally good.

> Had it not had the Doom-name on it, it'd experienced the same fate as the SW reboot and Hard-Reset: totally ignored by most.
Yes. Life sucks.
By the way, what it's happening with Flying Wild Hog that every game they make is worse the previous one?
>>
>>385114189
>optional glory kills that are just genius
On high amounts of health they are pointless because they give a meager +5 HP bonus, but on low health you get HP regardless of whether you perform a Glory Kill or not. The brief invincibility window you're given is more of a detriment because you're locked in place and can't see anything around you, meaning anyone can throw a 50HP-damage dealing fireball at you the moment you exit the animation. The HP necessary for staggering a demon could have been shaved off in favor of increasing the average enemy count to make the game more challenging without making them feel more bulletspongy. It's a cheap carrot on a stick to reward aggression when there are already MANY safety nets in place to ensure that anyone with a modicum of skill can keep playing by lowering the bar for the amount of skill required to play effectively as the game partly regulates your ammo and health for you. Glory Kills are just there to make the game look cooler.
>optional weapon upgrades if you're into customization
Considering most of these optional upgrades let me play more effectively, you'd have to be retarded to ignore them. The argument that I need to restrict myself by not taking any upgrades in order to be truly able to experience any challenge from the game would imply the designers did a bad job with the intended difficulty curve of the game and have to rely on the players restricting themselves, which brings into question why difficulty settings exist and why there's any intended challenges in the game at all.
Moreover, I don't see the fun in pausing the game to hover around menus upgrading my shit, it gives off the impression that the designers had no focus for the game, but the prospect of gimping myself for the sake of having fun screams of wasted potential.
>>
>>385115905
>For step SS3 took forward, it also took 3 steps back.
...such as?
Hell, I've played all the SS games as they've come out, and SS3 is easily my very favorite in the series, and big upgrade in many ways. Definitely much more true to the originals than Doom and Douk games in past decade. Brilliant PC title, damn much fun in MP / co-op, and has real deal modding tools to boot.
>>
>>385110245
>*autistic screeching*
Why is LE DOOM COMMUNITY so fucking cringeworthy?
>>
>/v/ hivemind shits on Doom 4 for not being Doom 1/2 while praising Doom 3 despite being a genuinely bad game that is even further detached from 1/2 simply because it's older and unpopular
nice
>>
>>385115151
>Whether I like a game or not is secondary
Well you already got more than your share of of hours out of it, I don't think it really matters anymore. Even if your opinion changes in this thread which it probably won't, I doubt you'll want to play it again.
>>
>>385109767
complain about new doom.
it the same game as original but you have to aim.
>>
>>385116175
Witch brides, space monkeys, helicopters and giants needing explosives to be killed, ammo boxes of infinite rockets that made the optimal strategy coming back to them not using other weapons, executions not adding anything to the game, awful level design at the beginning, the museum level, the whip...
>>
>>385116253
you can take your autism and screeching right back to XBLA forums, kiddo. Does not make the nuduum any better.

>>385116427
>it the same game as original but you have to aim.
it's not in any other way than being an FPS game. That's where the similarities end.
>>
Its another "op asks for enlightenment but really hes too stubborn to change his mind about anything and will shoot down anything anyone says to him" episode
>>
>>385109767
I'm a weeb and I liked it because it was like my cuhrazy action games in FPS form.
>>
>>385109767
It's fun and fast paced with amazing graphics
>>
>>385116253
It's literally one guy. He's made the same thread with the same complaints and canned replies that agree with him. Sort of sad really
>>
The core gameplay is really fun but it's unfortunately held back by a lot of modern-gaming bullshit added in. Namely, the power-ups being stupidly OP, the silly upgrade system, unskippable cutscenes, and the secrets that could've been so much more interesting with the new tech and artistic skill that's available but instead were bland, half-assed and felt like an afterthought.
>>
>>385116945
no
>>
>>385116942
Is he the one who shits his pants and throws a fit every time someone brings up Brutal Doom too?
>>
>>385109767
You shoot demons.
>>
>anons itt pretending doom wasnt a simplistic run n gun shooter
at least I hope theyre pretending
>>
>>385117127
Name a more complex SP FPS shooter

Hard Mode: Within the last 6 years.
>>
>>385117045
probably
>>
>>385109767
>play FPS game
>WTF WHY IT'S NOT RPG TIER DEEP WHAT A TRASH
you're one of those retards who cost me too many Hope Units for humanity in each encounter
>>
>>385109767
NuDOOM is simple, fast and brainless just like the older doom games, that's why people like it so much.>>385109767
>>
I like nuDoom, its refreshing and fun. But I will never forgive it for having the fucking arrogance to call itself "Doom". We're not the movie industry nor should we ever be you fucking retards. FUCK I hate ZeniMax so goddamn much.
>>
File: 1499902202699s.jpg (2KB, 106x125px) Image search: [Google]
1499902202699s.jpg
2KB, 106x125px
>>385118004
>>
I liked it because it was mindless it just threw you into this chaos and hit you with some awesome music at the same time. I don't think its better than the originals but it was pretty damn fun for a modern single player fps. It's not about strategy in this game its more about being the toughest meanest son of a bitch and killing everything.
>>
File: animal.jpg (77KB, 461x548px) Image search: [Google]
animal.jpg
77KB, 461x548px
>>385110576
>deep rooted floors
>>
>>385117127
Doom and nuDoom both were, and that's what was so great about them.
>>
>>385110245
DUDE FUCK AIMING IN THE VERTICLE PLANE DOOM IS THE GREATEST SHOOTER EVER

Get yourself killed
>>
>>385109767
Can someone explain to me what did he mean by this recommend me some games to play with my girlfriend I just got a new game in the mail OwO whats this?
>>
>>385109767
> I've replayed it thrice, twice on Nightmare, in an effort to understand the game
You may have autism.
It feels great, and that should be obvious from the very first level.
>>
>>385114506
>you mean on anesthetics, don't you?
Everything is upgraded except the running speed, which is normal considering Doom didn't have free aim or jumping so it had to compensate.
>>385115151
Never had any issues hearing footsteps. And the soundtracks are god tier, and enemy/weapon noises are top tier.
>You think the new plasma gun has more 'punch' than the old?
Most guns feels way better to play, and yes, the plasma gun is fantastic.

As for the exploration, I'm not sure what you're complaining about exactly. That you have to stop shooting stuff for 17 seconds while jumping on a platform to find a mini doomguy?
>Here the exploration is mindnumbing because you aren't shooting anything, but just platforming.
>if you have to stop shooting for even a second, it's mindnumbing
>platforming is mindnuming
This is next level ADHD
>>
the 90s doom purists are the le wrong generation types of people who weren't even born when doom was in its heyday. The edgy little faggots who watch columbine footage and wish they were there. Like yeah we get it you don't like the new game that doesn't make you not a faggot though
>>
>>385115151
>You think the new plasma gun has more 'punch' than the old?
Did the rocket launcher crush OG Doom too? Between the rocket launcher and Gauss rifle medium sized weapons feel redundant in nu Doom.
>>
Imps were pretty fun to fight.
>>
>>385116060
That's why I said glory kill are genius. First because you can finish the game without using them once. Second because on higher difficulties a glory kill can be extremely risky because you can get killed the second the invincibility stops. It's high risk high reward.
Also the animations are perfect, it's brutal, doesn't break the pacing since it lasts literally a second, there are many different ones depending on the enemy type, and it just fits perfectly in the gameplay. And yes, the other good thing about glory kills is that they are here to make the game look cooler. They really nailed it, it's cool, it's fun, and it's implemented perfectly.

>Considering most of these optional upgrades let me play more effectively, you'd have to be retarded to ignore them.
>The argument that I need to restrict myself by not taking any upgrades in order to be truly able to experience any challenge
Literally NOONE said anything about restricting yourself. I'm just saying that upgrades are optional, which they are, you can play the game perfectly well without upgrading anything.
I'm talking about upgrades because I saw a lot of /v/tards complain about them, and I don't understand why someone would complain about something optional that is not required to finish the game. It's even more retarded than people saying glory kills shouldn't be in DOOM because there weren't any in Doom.
>would imply the designers did a bad job with the intended difficulty curve of the game and have to rely on the players restricting themselves
Like I just said, I don't know why you even talk about that. Nobody is asking you to restrict yourself, you have options, you can do whatever you want and play the game the way you wanted.

As for the difficulty, nuDoom is way way harder than Doom, but I don't see how that's relevant in any way, Doom was never about difficulty.
>>
File: at least im not some shill.png (85KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
at least im not some shill.png
85KB, 400x400px
i only play the new Doom when working out (jogging in place at varying speeds and tempos, and yes i play the console version cause i'm a faggot) mainly since the combat can be either gentle when going between map sections along with the aiming feeling smooth and polished as fuck, letting me have good accuracy even when moving about my TV screen.

yes i added nothing to this deep discussion of the game due to me not wanting to have whiners and reddit-teir einsteins who know everything there is about doom yelling at how i'm wrong. like just chill dudes, it's a solid 7/10 game at very least imo
>>
NuDoom works really well as an adaptation of Doom for modern consoles. It seems like most people who are autistically screeching about it were expecting "literally doom 2 with pretty grafix". The combat is as good as it could have been, my biggest complaint is that the levels were often way too straightforward.
>>
it's very simple, close to high speed driving

you run and shoot and try to do it in the most efficient manner possible, switching weapons and adapting

if you play it like CoD, which sadly is possible play style you won't have any fun
I've seen people play like this, it's disgusting

also are you okay? why did you play it thrice? I loved the game and played it only once yet.
>>
>>385119556
>Never had any issues hearing footsteps
did you ever pay attention to them to begin with
>Most guns feels way better to play, and yes, the plasma gun is fantastic.
I'm talking about the sounds, the new plasma gun sounds like a watergun, the old plasma gun sounds like fucking thunder.
>As for the exploration, I'm not sure what you're complaining about exactly. That you have to stop shooting stuff for 17 seconds while jumping on a platform to find a mini doomguy?
It's completely separate from the arena shooting itself, aside from the very occassional alternate arena entrance. Between arena fights I'm forced to walk down corridors sparsely populated with enemies which barely even pose a threat. Exploration is a case of 'just take the obvious alternate path' or jumping on top of anything. Ever seen Mark Brown's Boss Key videos and how the old Legend of Zelda games challenged your ability to move around a dungeon layout? The thing is that the layouts in nuDoom are so simple that you don't even need the automap or waypoint markers to find most of the secrets or move from A to B.

To name a counter example, at the end of each Descent level after you blow up the reactor, a self-destruct sequence activates where you have to get to the exit within 30-45 seconds. However each Descent level is a full 3D labyrinth, so you need to find the exit beforehand and then plan out a route from the reactor room to the exit before time runs out, your navigational skills are actually being challenged here.
In nuDoom you're not under particularly any stress while exploring
>This is next level ADHD
When the platforming in question is babby's first Unity 3D platforming-tier, then yes it's fucking mindnumbing
>>
File: 1500886408095.png (17KB, 828x600px) Image search: [Google]
1500886408095.png
17KB, 828x600px
I just want Doom Editor for NuDoom.
>>
>>385120752
snapmap is that bad?
>>
>>385110245
>Full of cinematic shit, including cinematics
That's really not the case tho.
They don't suck vanilla, and there's literally nothing wrong with upgrading
And this is bad because?
Just like every game ever?
>Checkpoints.
And?
And?
Nope, they are not, no matter what difficulty you play at. They are pointless on easy, and way too risky on hard.
And?
>platforming sections.
And?
>you get around half-a dozen enemies on screen at once, at best. No Pinkie packs.
half a dozen is 6 anon, now you're just baiting
They are completely optional, and most of them are fun
>everything glows.
Turn it off?
And? You don't have to listen to him and it's not like you're gonna get lost without him. I have no idea what he said, and that didn't stop me from finishing the game
>no mods, and the Snapmap is literally just all about connecting handful of pre-made rooms together, with strict enemy limit.
This is true and your only valid complaint
True
>MP is Gaylo-tier shit.
Good thing it's mainly a singleplayer game then.
And?
>bosses have HP bars
And?
How exactly was it a slap to the face?

Most of your "arguments" are not even arguments and make no sense.
>>
>>385120651
>each Descent level is a full 3D labyrinth
yeah, only because everything looks the same

I never got lsst in deusex,systemshock or morrowind? know why? because locations were different and memorable
you are mistaking complexity for simple monotone
>>
>>385109767
Game sucks, it's missing features the original had (save games, coop), only good thing about it is the Arcade mode which does away with most of the cutscenes and platforming and secret hunting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFJrrpXEAEM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLcRNu6huHM
>>
>>385120204
>That's why I said glory kill are genius. First because you can finish the game without using them once
Yet on Arcade Mode you get bonus points for Glory Kills, and at the start they save some ammo since you have to make do with the artificially low max ammo capacity in the first two levels by not wasting a shotgun shell on a staggered demon, reinforcing the idea that Glory Killing should become habitual.
>Second because on higher difficulties a glory kill can be extremely risky because you can get killed the second the invincibility stops. It's high risk high reward
If you have high HP the glory kill rewards are puny, if you have low HP the glory kill rewards are more or less equal to when you kill an enemy NORMALLY without putting yourself at more risk. Many Ultra-Nightmare players flat out never use Glory Kills because the reward simply is not worth the risk.
>Literally NOONE said anything about restricting yourself. I'm just saying that upgrades are optional, which they are, you can play the game perfectly well without upgrading anything.
But if I'd choose not to upgrade myself then I'd be at a disadvantage compared to the players who would. I would choose to voluntarily not make my avatar more efficient despite ignoring many mechanics encouraging me to do so, thus restricting myself. What point would there be to not choosing to upgrade other than to challenge myself more?

>>385121102
I'm getting the faint impression that you have no idea what Descent really is about, what its levels are like, and how the game or its level design actually works.
>>
>>385121243
I hope it's your videos so I can call you a retard you are.
>>
>>385121393
>compared to the players who would.
it's single player game. there is only one SINGLE player.
>>
>>385120815
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss8SyOhqk1I
>>
>>385118004

Do you mean you wish they called it Doom 4 or Doom: Subtitle or you're saying it's like, not worthy of the name?
>>
>>385121529
But why should I choose to go against the nudges of the game designers and play with a build not as optimal compared to builds which use upgrades? Most of the upgrades are quality of life stuff, some of which shouldn't even been optional upgrades like being able to change direction mid-air with your second jump. It's like saying leveling is optional in Dark Souls because you can do naked SL1 runs. You can, and you can do something like that in nuDoom, but it's not something you'd do on your first run as you'd want to experience most of the stuff the games throws at you first.
>>
>>385119825

Actually man, there are literal columbine fetishists out there and the Doom community as a whole totally despises them. :\
>>
>>385118102
>>385121868
I thought I was pretty obvious with the movie comparison, but I guess not. I hate that it was simply called "Doom" as oposed to Doom 4 or Doom: Subtitle. Its worthy of the Doom name, but not to that degree. And I said I hate ZeniMax because I 110% guarantee that the decision was theirs.
>>
>>385120997
Not the same anon and most points that guy made are retarded, but
>>maps are linear pipes connecting obligatory combat arenas you get locked into.
It's a stale formula which aside from the Foundry level rarely mixes up things. The arena fights get kind of repetitive after a while due to the nature of the base combat loop (circlestrafe everything, shoot everything, stay close) with nothing other than the enemy types used to mix that up. Only towards the end do the arena layouts get more creative with the introduction of portals and very occasionally trying to restrict your movement (imagine if you weren't able to just climb and circlestrafe around enemies all the time). The sections where you aren't in an arena have you walking across boring hallways filled with a bunch of enemies whose total headcount alone ensures they're barely a fucking threat at all, and boring to deal with as a result.
>>Chainsaw is a literal 1-hit kill tool, that also refills your ammo
It's part of the reason why ammo management is a complete non-issue the moment you get your hands on the chainsaw. Because id wanted to keep you in the game as much as possible, they decided to make sure that running out of ammo would rarely be an issue. Not only are the arenas themselves loaded with ammo pickups and the sections inbetween arenas have ammo containers which refill your entire stock, but here you have a weapon which can instantly kill anything and refill half of your total stock. Chainsaws run on fuel, but there's enough fuel between arenas to keep you stocked as you don't have to use chainsaws all the time because of all the ammo they give you. Even so if you don't rely on one weapon all the time, low ammo will rarely become a problem, to the point of making the existence of ammo a non-issue in itself when the game partially takes care of it for me. Did I mention that Glory Killing enemies drops ammo for weapons low on ammo? Why conserve ammo anymore?
>>
>>385111128
>>385110721
Christ, I could tell by your voice you are legit autistic.

You give the impression of a fag that could listen to himself spew bullshit from his mouth 24/7. Your entire 20 minute video could've been summed up in 5. 10 at max

>It's a good game, just not a good DOOM game

But instead you spend 20 minutes rambling to inflate your nerd e-peen.

GET TO THE FUCKING POINT, AUTIST
>>
>>385121393
>Yet on Arcade Mode you get bonus points for Glory Kills
>reinforcing the idea that Glory Killing should become habitual.
Don't know what arcade mode is, didn't have it when I played. But that wasn't the point. I was just saying that glory kills are optional and you can finish the game without using them once, which is true. That doesn't mean there's anything wrong with GK. You can do whatever you want anon, be yourself.
I for exemple use glory kills not when my hp or ammo is low, but when I want to make a cool looking action, as simple as that. If the end result looks cool, it's all that matters. I'm just complaining about autists that complain about glory kills, saying they're bad because there weren't any in Doom. GK are great.
>Many Ultra-Nightmare players flat out never use Glory Kills because the reward simply is not worth the risk.
That's what I said, useless on easy, and risky on hard. It CAN save your ass if used correctly, or it can get you killed. For me that's what good design is.
>But if I'd choose not to upgrade myself then I'd be at a disadvantage compared to the players who would.
Why do you even care about what other players do in a singleplayer game?
>What point would there be to not choosing to upgrade other than to challenge myself more?
Who said there was a point in not upgrading?
I just said that I don't understand why people complain about upgrades that are optional. Once again, you're free to do whatever you want anon, be yourself. My first time playing I upgraded my weapons/armor like only 2 times, the second time playing I didn't upgrade anything without any particular reasons, and I recently started the game again and I'm gonna upgrade later in the game when I can change multiple things at once. Then I'll probably replay the game another time, find every secret and upgrade stuff as soon as possible.

No need to sperg out, the game is fantastic and offers lots of freedom, play however you want to.
>>
>>385122915

Oh my bad my brain skipped over the movie part. Yeah I feel you on that one.
>>
Name an fps with a better campaign that came out in the past 6 years.
>>
It's a decent shooter that deliberately eschews cinematic bullshit.

>>385114197
Let's be real, Doom on Ultra-Violence is no more difficult than Halo on Heroic. (Old) Doom on Nightmare is another story, but nobody should play that unless they've already beaten the game on UV and find themselves so enamored with the game that they want to play it to death.
>>
>>385110576
>floors
agree with the rest though, It's got big problems that the fanboys won't admit or don't understand
>>
>>385109767
it's a shitty game. I'm a huge Doom fan and I couldn't even bring myself to finish it. 1, 2, and 3 are all infinitely better.
>>
>>385123182
Underhell
>>
>>385109985
>which didn't require any skill or thought
This isn't true at all for the original DOOM.

With original DOOM you see a megasphere, collection of ammo or even just a simple switch in one place and if your instant thought isn't "So this is where the remaining 30 monsters in the map are" you're clearly still on the first level. This is 100% where the psychological horror of the series comes from- and why brutal DOOM on the highest difficulty is so good.

With this DOOM there's only like 1 place where this even remotely applies.
>>
>>385123182
The New Order
>>
>>385109985
The original DOOM definitely takes thought if you're playing on a difficulty that actually counts.

This isn't even nostalgia speaking. I played through the original for the first time recently.
>>
>>385120997
>>platforming sections.
The platforming sections are the simplest fucking shit and a waste of time, nor do they really mesh with the rest of the game at all. It'd be actually cool if you had to fight demons WHILE platforming (which would involve crossing over lethal death traps instead of just jumping around crates), but that barely happens.
>>you get around half-a dozen enemies on screen at once, at best. No Pinkie packs.
The low enemy count is still a large reason why the game is as easy as it is even on Nightmare. Had there been more enemies on the screen than normal, then the special attacks of normal demons would have been a bigger threat since you cannot stagger every single demon at once, whereas fighting one or two Imps is no big deal because of how easy it is to stagger them and prevent them from attacking at all. They could have created more unique situations if they went nuts with the enemy count, but they didn't, probably because of console limitations.
>How exactly was it a slap to the face?
The final boss had no real build-up to it and felt like just another mook, which is not really final boss material, only for Dr. Ultron to swoop in and magically restrain you with plot bullshit to set up the sequel.
>>
>>385122958
It's true that in general you get locked in arenas, then go through a corridor, and repeat. I don't mind it because it's a joy to play, but of course I would have prefered to if you weren't as locked. But that's only because of consoles anon, they either had to make the game smooth and beautiful but with locked arenas and a limited number of enemies, or many enemies, better arenas, but shit graphics and 30fps. Of course they chose the first options. Console dudebros don't care about having 4 more enemies, they want graphics.

>It's part of the reason why ammo management is a complete non-issue
Ammo management was never an issue in any Doom game. And I wasn't the anon complaining about ammo, I don't see any problem with ammo. Doom was never about having limited ammo, or ammo management, just shoot stuff and keep shooting. I've used the chainsaw less than 5 times in 3 playthroughs, and not because I needed ammo, but because it looks cool. I use glory kills when I want to make a sick MLG 360 rocket shot, not when I need ammo. I personally play for fun, if what I see on screen is cool, then I don't give a shit about the rest.

I don't see why some people are sperging out so hard over irrelevant things like that. Just shoot stuff, that's it.
>>
>>385113219
>opinion disregarded because the 0.001% of players that play on the highest difficulty that turns the game into a shitty roguelike don't actually use this feature you're criticising

Is this what it's like to be retarded?
>>
>>385123587
>alternate history COD

Try again
>>
>>385123590
So... Nightmare? But that's really absurdly difficult, to the point where I wouldn't expect anyone to try it for a blind playthrough.

>>385123959
Why are you so jaded Anon?
>>
>>385123959

Jeez man come on you know TNO and TOB play absolutely nothing like CoD games. I totally get why certain people wouldn't like them but that's ridiculous.
>>
>>385123587
>>385123959
not saying it's good but it's better than Doom for sure, the bar has been set that low...
>>
>>385109985
>extremely simple run and gun games
sure
>don't take any skill or thought.
>New DOOM gives a modern version of this.
oh you're a fucking idiot.
>>
>>385123202
Nightmare on doom is gay the respawing enemies is annoying at least in Damn I'm good on Duke Nukem 3d you can gib the enemies to stop them from respawning
>>
>>385124563
It was added post-launch as a gimmick mode.
>>
>>385123040
>That doesn't mean there's anything wrong with GK
It borders between wasted potential and pointless
>It CAN save your ass if used correctly
But how? I can already get HP just by killing mooks normally.
>I just said that I don't understand why people complain about upgrades that are optional.
Aside from breaking the pacing of the game as you have to pause and flip through the menu to upgrade yourself and checking what the daily challenges are, these RPG-lite upgrade trees just add a false sense of progression to the game instead of giving you more tools and challenges over the time. Yet the skilltree tries to justify its own existence by nerfing some of your base stats, which is why you start off with a pathetically low maximum ammo count, and almost every single weapon has an upgrade which reduces the delay for readying your alternate fire mode.

They could have done something interesting by letting you play with different builds and such, but this falls flat on its face when near the end of the game you can have most of the upgrades you might need, and the upgrades themselves don't really branch out in interesting directions, meaning there's not much in the way of unique builds, and you get enough skill points if you explore just a little that you'll end up with a build that's already good at everything, eliminating the need to choose between upgrades when you're bound to get them both eventually. The only thing you'd be choosing in this situation is which upgrade you want first. Customization and replay value in this manner is pointless if you can end up with most upgrades to begin with, and a lot of upgrades being practically essential anyways, reducing the need to make a choice.

When developers can't nail progression through challenges and mechanics alone, they usually resort to this lazy shit.

So I could ignore this as being optional, but then I'd have to deal with having a maximum of a mere twenty fucking shotgun shells.
>>
Why don't all the original doom purists go to the doom general on /vr/ with the rest of the stupid doom babbies
>>
>>385124131
I played through nightmare. It just took skill and thought. Made the game way more enjoyable and most DOOM fans are looking for that experience.
>>
>>385123876
>Ammo management was never an issue in any Doom game
This is only because the OG Doom maps were designed with pistol starts in mind (starting with nothing but a pistol and a few clips of pistol ammo), but they forgot to disable weapons carrying over (or it was never intended to begin with, but the maps were confirmed to be designed around pistol starts by Petersen himself), resulting in the player starting off with more ammo than intended. The ammo management in Doom was basic enough that rockets and plasma cells should be utilized for serious situations instead of all the time like in nuDoom, at least. It gave some more weight to finding secret ammo and secret weapons when you didn't have them to begin with, but that aspect was never really played on.
>>
>>385110721
I thought you all were just shitposters, but this goes far beyond that. It's a fucking video game you pizza shit... your criticisms take it far too seriously and are things nobody cares about aside from you. DOOM is not doom. It's DOOM
>>
>>385125083
Doom on Nightmare requires you to figure out a route and engagement plan for each room, mostly by trial and error unless you're a faggot imitating speedrunners. If you don't have that plan and/or know routes you can be fucked pretty hard, like the first fucking group of enemies on the left side in E1M1.
>>
>>385110721
Xbox had Doom 3 faget.
>>
File: 1489204725499.png (690KB, 1211x1467px) Image search: [Google]
1489204725499.png
690KB, 1211x1467px
>>385123349
>3
>good in any capacity whatsoever
Jesus fuck you are the biggest retard I've ever seen.
>>
>>385123587
TNO in higher difficulties is a cover shooter, specially in that Gibraltar bridge level. Try again.
>>
>>385125083
>run through room in circles
>glory kill only when low on ammo

am I a pro now?
>>
>>385125878
>TNO in higher difficulties is a cover shooter, specially in that Gibraltar bridge level.
And?
>>
good level design that always makes you feel like you've got forward momentum. combat further enforces this by making you play super aggressive. you get a kick out of being a monster. happiness. repeat.
>>
>>385125748
3 is better for the single fact that the movement stayed intact
>posts quake and doesn't understand this fact
>>
>>385125921
Under no circumstances a cover FPS is better than a arcade FPS.
If we can't agree on that then there's no point on arguing on the quality of D44m since we start from a different premise of what we like in a FPS.
>>
>>385109767
What do you want out of it? Seriously? Doom is about moving fast and killing demons with over whelming firepower. Thats the entire game. If you don't like it then I think you just don't like FPS games, or at least not ones that actually focus on shooting.
>>
>>385109767
>I also find it to be a good example of what not to do in a FPS and how to learn from it
>Played through it four times

Okay.
>>
>>385126030
I think you have brain damage, dude. Doom 3 was slow as fuck.
>>
>>385127270
No it isn't, maybe you should play it again
>>
I know I'm going to get shit for saying this buy I'm convinced most of the people praising the game here are paid to do it; when someone criticises the game, they say things like "It's a video game!" (>>385125164, >>385120997) or things which are just plain wrong and rely on falsified experiences (>>385109985). I say this because the reasons against criticism of the game are generic- as in, they don't talk about the game itself, but rather attack the anonymous poster or devalue the weight of otherwise essential flaws. Additionally, discussions are not the kind you typically see in /v/- discussions are usually forward and don't add the "but you have a good point" to the end of each post. That is suspiciously common in this thread.

When I play a game called DOOM that is marketed as a spiritual sequel to its predecessors, I expect similar but improved gameplay. DOOM is a completely different game.

Firstly, the new DOOM doesn't have any innovative level design that the original Doom had- in this DOOM, the every enemy you encounter will be in some kind of square arena with a few platforms and maybe a power up or two. The level layouts make absolutely no difference to gameplay. There are no traps. There are no surprises. There are no special challenges. You just kill things in several reskins of the same flat arena with minor variations.

The new DOOM has a very restrictive "level editor", if you can even call it that. It's why the old Doom's mapping community- more than 20 years old now- is more popular than DOOM Crapmap. As a result, multiplayer died less than a year after its release, and now DOOM's only use is as a benchmark for Vulkan performance in low stress workloads.
>>
>>385109767
I enjoyed it for being the sequel to Painkiller I've always wanted, but its definitely not Doom.
>>
File: Doom63.jpg (94KB, 573x573px) Image search: [Google]
Doom63.jpg
94KB, 573x573px
>>385121650
>he thinks that a 486 PC in 1993 could run 100 000 hell barons in one room of a map @ 35fps
>>
>>385127921
>are paid here to do it

Please off yourself, cancer-kun
>>
>>385109767
You shoot da demons, and shooting the demons feels good. Not sure what brilliance you actually need. It was also better than Doom 3.
>>
>>385128394
Why would you say such mean things over the Internet? What if I actually took my own life because of your keyboard shenanigans?
>>
>>385127921
>>385127921
Shut the fuck up. You legitimately don't get how little everyone cares about this game and the mountains of shit you've invested all your time in making. You play it and either think it's garbage or you enjoy it. When other people make criticisms, it's a simple statement to have back and fourth arguments... but you don't have the ability of understanding social context and it enrages you that anyone could think this game is doom!

You deserve to get shit because you don't understand human interaction and have to make a conspiracy theory to cover for that fact.
>>
>>385109767
I liked the new Wolfenstein

didn't really find the new Doom much fun, mostly because I never find execution mechanics fun at all, just give me fucking health and armour packs around the level
>>
File: 1500583587793.jpg (191KB, 499x499px) Image search: [Google]
1500583587793.jpg
191KB, 499x499px
>>385110245
you forgot the story is barebones, I had no idea the guy they saved was YOU the whole time also who are the sentinels and how the fuck did the marines even survive to make it to you in the first place then all die when at base. Woulda been better if there were at least survivors
>>
File: 1430205264602.gif (2MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
1430205264602.gif
2MB, 320x240px
>>385127767
Just replayed them all. You are a fucking idiot if you think the speed was anything like the originals.
>>
I liked it
>>
>>385110245
>bosses have HP bars
Playing wth HP bar ON

Don't tell me you're seriously doing that, retard. I bet you didn't even disable the flashing orange killmove indicator. You're a retard for not checking the option menu and you're the only one to blame for that.
>>
>>385128978
I think D44M just has tradeoffs that mostly make sense. Doom1s lets you run super fast, but you can't jump or aim vertically, and the enemies are slow and also can't jump or climb. D44M doesn't let you run as fast but you can jump and climb all over the place and shoot in all directions. However the enemies are faster and are just as mobile as the player.

In other words, both the Doomguy and demons in both games have their advantages and disadvantages. Making the running speed in D44M faster would tip it even more out of balance. That's why there are temporary powerups for speed.
>>
>>385110245
>"hey guys, i cant figure out why people like DOOM, could you please give me your honest opinion so i can understand"
>gives honest opinion
>"hahahaha no faggot"
>>
>>385128879
>Shut the fuck up.
No.

>You literally don't get how little everyone cares about this game and the mountains of shit you've invested all your time in making
Please explain to me how that makes me incorrect. Are you saying that, because nobody cares about my argument, it's not beyond Bethesda's PR department to focus their efforts on a popular online forum? And I assure you a lot of people care about the game- even if that was not the case, Bethesda clearly cares about it.

>You play it and either think it's garbage or enjoy it.
Please, yet again, explain to me how my arguments falter.

>When other people make criticisms, it's a simple statement to have back and forth arguments...
Yes. That is what I am doing. What about this is difficult for you to grasp?

>...but you don't have the ability of understanding social context and it enrages you that anyone could think this game is doom!
That does not enrage me. What enrages me is the nostalgia of smelly 30 year old basement goblins who blindly recommend this game because it stands on its own two feet as a mediocre yet solid FPS/platformer. This does not mean I am promised the game features as the original Doom, and it does not merit such high praise even on its own.

In addition, I see your argument- you seem to think that I suspect people of being shills because they disagree with me. Just take a look at this whole thread and you'll see the same characteristics in those who respond to the game's criticisms- they all never address the actual argument. I've linked example posts. But you don't address what I said, you would much rather call me autistic.
>>
>>385109767
RIP AND TEAR

fuck that game was just good
bet you played like pussies and shit on easymode

you play this game on full adrenaline mode and tear through waves of ugly demons without making any mistakes, because they mean you're dead

it's a shooter
and it's probably the best shooter of the last couple years

what most faggots here want is Overwatch or some shit
go play that if you have to, stop crying about DOOM
>>
>>385109767
>>385110245

HELLLOOOOOO REDDIT!!
U P V O T E D !
>>
>>385127096
My peeves lie with the execution rather than the premise. We have a game about going fast and killing demons, yet it is sullied by unskippable talking segments, platforming sections, pausing the game to upgrade yourself, walking around empty segments for the sake of 'exploration', all of which have little to do with the core idea of ripping and tearing and imply a lack of focus.

And aside from the empty baggage there is the execution of the ripping and tearing itself. While the verticality of the level is oft praised, it provides an unbalanced advantage towards the player because the enemies cannot utilize different height levels to their advantage to the same extent the player can. While there's a shit ton of enemies on the floor spamming projectiles and shit, I can just climb on anything and avoid most of their shit. This would have not been a problem if the enemies were able to coordinate their efforts and prevent me from jumping up to platforms by blocking my path, but their AI only lets them move around at complete random or directly after my ass, although I can always be faster.

The reason you have so many people talking about the aggressive playstyle of the game is because almost anybody can do it. Playing aggressively arises naturally from mastering the game's mechanics and being good at the game. id Software wanted to reinforce that feeling with nuDoom and let the player be aggressive all the time, but to do so they had to lower the bar for the amount of skill required to be able to play aggressively, and to do so they've installed several safety nets to keep people in the flow instead of punishing them for mistakes, f.e.:
>health drops are partially regulated, low on health? here's some free health even if you don't glory kill
>using vertical space at all is a get-out-of-jail-free card
>low on ammo? just use the chainsaw
>are things getting too hard? just use the BFG
>>
>>385130367
The thing is that once you move past this skill border, there isn't really anything beyond that. There's no cool technical skills outside of speedrunning strats to improve your performance, nor do the levels go all out with the amount of enemies on screen despite there being enough space for them in the arenas. You can try to kill things a bit faster or take less damage, but outside of Arcade Mode there isn't much in the game encouraging you to push your skills to the max. In nuDoom there isn't a lot that separates an okay player from a god, as the game will take care of your mistakes anyways under the guise of providing aggressive gameplay, but all it really does is allow you to be more reckless.

For aggressive play to exist there must be defensive play to begin with, and id does a good job of luring players to the former with the carrot-on-a-stick that is Glory Killing, but it doesn't really punish shitter behaviour. Wasting ammo is not a problem, crowd control is usually not much of a problem since your movement is rarely ever restricted and barely any enemies are a direct threat which should be prioritized. You don't need to worry about your health at all, if you keep killing you can gain it back immediately anyways.

Careless plays should be punished, but the enemy AI is ironically not aggressive enough when it comes to the player piling mistake after mistake as lost health can be regained at a whim anyways. If you're rarely ever pushed to the defensive then you're either really good or the game is too forgiving, but as I do not consider myself to be God I'd bet nuDoom suffers from the latter. There's really not enough enemies on screen at a time, and your movement is rarely ever restricted so you can just back away most of the time. While aggressive play should be encouraged and rewarded as it is a display of mastery, the skill required for doing so shouldn't be lowered just so anyone can do it.
>>
>>385130469
>>385130367
copypasta
kys
>>
>>385130517
That is not even my actual copypasta on this subject.
>>
>>385130106
I didn't call you autistic autist. You just can't see how stupid you are and it's funny to me and everyone else.
Perhaps you would be more well suited here though.
http://wrongplanet.net/forums/viewforum.php?f=2&sid=31bc3e353bcc53c6059e6f0e2624cfa1
>>
>>385130771
I see. You clearly just refuted all my arguments. Thank you for this prime example of back and forth arguments you so highly praise.
>>
>>385130920
You're right. I'm not going to refute your arguments because I don't give a shit about doom. I'm calling YOU out. Not the game
>>
>>385124691
>It borders between wasted potential and pointless
But as explained previously, it's doesn't. It's not wasted potential because it does what it's supposed to do perfectly, and it can't be pointless if it's fun, cool and rewarding to use.
>But how? I can already get HP just by killing mooks normally.
Because it's not just about the HP, but also the invincibility frames. If timed correctly it can make you avoid death, but if timed incorrectly it can also kill you because a rocket or whatever hit you at the exact second you weren't invincible anymore.

And it just looks fucking cool to rip a revenant's tongue out while hellfire rains upon you, survive with 2 hp, do some sick 360 MLG quickscopes and finish the last demon by breaking his neck. Sometimes you glory kill just because it looks cool and you want to see what cool animations they did for each enemy. I liked Doom when I was a kid because I thought it looked cool and was fun, I like nuDoom because it looks cool and it's fun.

>Aside from breaking the pacing...giving you more tools and challenges over the time.
You're giving all this upgrade thing way too much thought. Personally, I must have spent less than 30 seconds total in the upgrade menus, and except for the obvious hp/armor increase, I don't even remember what the others upgrades do. I don't even know if I have all weapon upgrades, I interacted with the upgrade robot 3 times total for less than 10 seconds each, just clicking on the icon that looked cool. Sometimes I didn't even bother to pick up a chip from a body right next to me.

And this is why I don't understand the complaints. It's totally irrelevant, totaly optional and non intrusive, and as useful as you want it to be.
>and checking what the daily challenges are
I don't even know what you're talking about.

You're just overthinking this, just play the damn game.
>>
>>385131191
Cool. Why waste my time?
>>
>>385131534
You're wasting your own time all the time. I'm just getting enjoyment out of wasting your time because you keep on replying to me just making it obvious that the only thing you know how to do is waste time. Now either stop replying or right a 3500 word essay and 40 minute video on why Brutal Doom is inferior to vanilla doom 1+2
>>
>>385109767
It's been the same guy posting this thread for about a year now. He posts a semi-inquisitive opening post to make it seem like he isn't making the topic just to shit post, then he makes a post to answer his own question, usually filled with a copy-paste list of mostly exaggerated claims and half-truths, most of which don't even amount to any sort of criticism. All of the points made are thoroughly rebuked, with the exception that most agree mods would be nice, and that the limited enemy count somewhat sucks but is mostly attributed to consoles. He's made this thread dozens of times. He's not here to be convinced, he's here to shitpost.
>>
>>385110721
Doom is literally the second game I ever played back in '94, and I enjoyed the fuck out of D44M.
>>
It's not challenging at all.
the game gives you way too many pointers.
it gets uninteresting even finding secrets.
On highest difficulty it's not about how you do but to get good enemy movements.

It's a case of, easy and rewarding game gets good reviews from THOSE reviewers.
You know, those that don't like Crash Bandicoot because it's too hard.
>>
>>385131534

>Why waste my time

Reading your shitty posts and watching your dumb videos, you obviously like to waste time.
>>
>>385131437
>but also the invincibility frames. If timed correctly
The amount of i-frames you get don't make Glory Kills worth it when you can just blast a staggered demon with a shotgun while staying on the move instead. Moreover dying right after Glory Kills is more often a result of getting hit from behind. Without sound to go by, I don't find it feasible to enter a brief invincible state while being locked in place just to tank through attacks from behind I have no way of knowing whether they'll come or not other than clumsily repositioning myself. What you say is theoretically true, it just backfires more than often in practice and thus not really worth it.

>And this is why I don't understand the complaints. It's totally irrelevant, totaly optional and non intrusive, and as useful as you want it to be
Because I won't be operating at peak performance if I do ignore it, and if I ignore the upgrades it invalidates over half of the secrets in the game whose purpose is to give me more upgrade points. The upgrades themselves are wasted potential because they do not really allow the player to branch out into a variety of unique and different playstyles, making the whole system feel pointless as it is not really necessary when the game would just be fine without the damn system like many first-person shooters before. However modern developers use these kind of upgrades as a substitute for actual progression, which is often a lazy and poor method.

It just doesn't gel with the rest of the game. If it's truly meant to be optional, then it should be reevaluated whether it actually needs to be in the game.
>>
>>385131951
I would not be so infuriated with DOOM if my time was not so precious. I am angry at you right now because you would rather post fruitless comments on an anime imageboard than talk about the actual game. As a result you are a fruitless investment of my time.
>>
>>385132426
what 'dumb videos'? I never posted a video in this thread. Who do you think I am?
>>
>>385110245
im not reading all that
>>
>>385132114
>All of the points made are thoroughly rebuked
Where?
>>
>>385111257
>it's faaar from the flawless messiah title people praise it to be
Has anyone ever praised it as flawless? Or are you just so upset that it was generally well received and somehow misinterpreted people saying it's a good game as them saying it's a perfect game? I mean, even according the mass user and critic opinion, it's only got 85 and 8.4 on metacritic. I don't see anyone praising the game as a messiah, you just made that up because you need something to bitch about.
>>
>>385127921
>I'm convinced most of the people praising the game here are paid to do it
>aaah yes, le famous "if people have different opinions than me then they are shills" meme
A true neo/v/ classic.

You know what I find funny anon? That literally 99.99% of the people hating on the game don't have any valid argument against it and their only defense is "It wasn't EXACTLY like that in Doom, THEREFORE it's shit". When they get proven wrong, they use the shill approach.

>every enemy you encounter will be in some kind of square arena with a few platforms and maybe a power up or two.
So just like Doom, except Doom had more enemies in corridors, wow big deal. DOOM has better hell and outdoor levels.
>The level layouts make absolutely no difference to gameplay.
The simple fact that you can jump and free aim tremendously improves the gameplay
>There are no traps.
What exactly do you call a trap? An obvious door on the wall opening as soon as you enter a room after not having seen enemies for a while?
>There are no surprises.
There were surprises in Doom because you were a kid when you played it.
>There are no special challenges.
What do you call a special challenge?
>You just kill things in several reskins of the same flat arena with minor variations.
Except you'd know that a lot of arenas are not flat and except from the same orange filter they aren't reskinned either, if only you'd played the game.

You are entirely right about the level editor and the lack of actual modding, it's pathetic.
>>
>>385120651
>claims D44M lacks challenge
>cites Zelda as a proper example of challenge
There's something wrong with you.
>>
The story is mad tho
it has no real depth but I love the theme
wish they could give us more
>>
>>385132561
It sounds to me like you're complaining about having a choice, like every time you have to choose something you get a massive anxiety attack because you might pick the sub-optimal option if you don't sweat every detail. Just grab an upgrade and slap it arbitrarily wherever. You'll be able to get through the game just fine. If it's that big of a deal, look it up before hand so you can rapidly take whatever upgrade in the 2 seconds it takes to open the menu and apply it.

So upgrade or don't. Your anti-choice stance is not a flaw with the game design.
>>
>>385132639
>I would not be so infuriated with DOOM if my time was not so precious
you have autism
>>
>>385133096
Not that guy but

>So just like Doom, except Doom had more enemies in corridors, wow big deal. DOOM has better hell and outdoor levels.
define better
>The simple fact that you can jump and free aim tremendously improves the gameplay
If you can free aim in Crash Bandicoot, will it tremendously improves the gameplay?
>What exactly do you call a trap? An obvious door on the wall opening as soon as you enter a room after not having seen enemies for a while?
>There were surprises in Doom because you were a kid when you played it.
Demons often spawn in with clear telegraphed auras, as you are often given the option to engage a fight on your own terms by ripping a Demon Nest. Rarely do you have to deal with surprise monster closets which trigger when you pick up a key, or any kind of surprises for that matter. There's barely any OH SHIT moments in nuDoom where you have to rapidly adapt to sudden changes, as you can just get into combat at your own pace. The levels were rarely evil to the same extent Romero's were, they feel way too safe, which doesn't really mesh with the spirit of Doom or nuDoom for that matter.

>>385133249
Note how I wasn't talking about the challenge of LoZ (and nuDoom in this case) in general, but the challenge involved in navigating a layout, which the old Legend of Zelda games did a pretty good job at.

>>385133860
Nothing in my post mentioned the effectiveness of the upgrades themselves, that's just an assumption on your part. What I did talk about was that the upgrades should offer DIFFERENT PLAYSTYLES. Not necessarily balanced, but different. It is ironic that you accuse me of having an anti-choice stance when my choices won't end up mattering at all in the game as I'm bound to end up with most upgrades I need to begin with. What's the point of choosing between two upgrades when I can get both eventually? What's the point of character building in an RPG when I can end up having 100 points in every single fucking stat?
>>
That's exactly what I like about it though. It's a game you can pretty much play on auto pilot, which i use to keep my eyes and hands busy while listening to long podcasts or audiobooks.
>>
>>385133096
>So just like Doom, except Doom had more enemies in corridors, wow big deal
I think the main problem to address here is that enemies in the new DOOM just spawn right out of nowhere in the middle of the arena, which just turn into endurance tests. They weren't just populated "in corridors" in the original Doom; enemies were placed specifically around corners just to fuck you over, or placed in close ranged situations as to put you on the spot or make not getting cornered difficult.

>The simple fact you can jump and free aim tremendously improve the gameplay
Nobody is debating that, and it's true, but doesn't make me wrong. I said the level layouts make no difference to gameplay- each room has too much space and not much hazards, with mostly only varying width and height or the occasional platforming section. The platforming sections were a nice change when it came to fighting but were few and far inbetween
>What exactly do you call a trap?
Something that catches you off guard if you're not paying attention or not cautious of your surroundings. These things aren't present in the new DOOM.
>Except you'd know that a lot of arenas are not flat and except from the same orange filter they aren't reskinned either
Except you know that's not my point- the majority of the game is just entering a big room and killing the multiple stages of monsters present that spawn at certain positions in said room.
>>
>>385121243
>WAAAAAAAAAH WHY CANT I SAVE ANYWHERE SO I CAN JUST JUMP RIGHT INTO THE ENEMIES WITHOUT ANY RISK

so thats the average nostalgia fag
>>
>>385109767
Play weeb games or something if you want good gameplay. Peoples expected nuDoom to be a meme casual tier "muh rip and tear exday", that's exactely what they got, that's exactely why they like it.

That doesn't mean it's a bad game either. But you're an idiot for expecting genius gameplay out of a western AAA game.
The only actually brilliant thing about D44M is actually the graphic engine, but that's it.
>>
Spriritual succesor to Metroid Prime
>>
I really like the multiplayer
>>
>>385121243
>save games
fucking epic kek
this is what it means to be fucking horrible at video games
>>
>>385109767
It's a good game, I just wish they didn't throw lockdown sequences in your face every 5 minutes. Also I wish there was a constant catchy soundtrack similar to classic Doom instead of ambient nothing and then intense bassy music.
>>
>>385109767

>wheres muh story
>>
>>385110876
Well I'm just going to ignore the rest of the arguing going on in this thread and give you a straight answer, OP:

It's a fun gameplay loop. You shoot things which is generally a satisfying experience (although I think the gun sounds could have been a bit chunkier). The music is really quite good and gets the adrenaline flowing.

The game plays fairly fast. You don't move as fast as in older shooters, but it's still a pretty fast game and the demons are always moving to get a better position on you, which keeps things interesting.

In support of making the player character move, standing still will get you killed quickly. And if you do get hit, the only way to heal is to hunt down a demon and kill it.

Not only that, but you have to balance health, ammo, and chainsaw fuel. I liked what they did to the chainsaw by making it an emergency switch to replenish your other weapons, or to instantly kill a tough demon if you were being overwhelmed. It also allows you to actually use all of your powerful weapons, because you know you can replenish your ammo if you really need to.

The gauss particle cannon thing was my favorite gun, it's just fun to evaporate a demon head or blow a hole straight through one of the bigger guys.

It just felt cool to be this spirit of vengeance that basically can't be stopped by the demons. Every animation reinforces the sense of rage, and I used the runes to speed up the death animations and give speed boosts, so it actually felt cool. I understand why purists wouldn't like the insta kill moves though.
>>
nuDoom shits all over the old ones. Nostalgia fags needs to kill themselves already.
>>
>>385136118
Yeah, well, you know, that's just like, your opinion man.
>>
File: 1500639544841.gif (1MB, 200x190px) Image search: [Google]
1500639544841.gif
1MB, 200x190px
>the amount of autism in this thread

>I DON'T ENJOY GAEMS ANYMORE, BUT I SURE DO LOVE SHITTING ON THEM after at least three thoroughly playthroughs
>>
File: 1495090047574.png (2MB, 962x1300px) Image search: [Google]
1495090047574.png
2MB, 962x1300px
>>385109767
The intro was god-tier and it served as an intro to what to expect of the rest of the game, you either liked it or you didn't. I personally loved it, it was a good hotblooded action-packed demon slaughterfest with an ok soundtrack. It wasn't some groundbreaking,genre-changing thing, it was simply a good rip&tear doom game and if you went in expecting something like the second coming of Christ then of course you're not going to see the appeal of it
>>
File: 1359485639494.jpg (26KB, 529x399px) Image search: [Google]
1359485639494.jpg
26KB, 529x399px
>>385110245
you know that you are right when the majority of responses are a single sentence long, the people are mad, and they call you autistic
>>
>>385136624
I wasn't expecting anything good, just something competent. And it was competent, but it seemed to me like almost nobody noticed the design flaws underneath the surface.
>>
File: advenced faggotry.jpg (10KB, 217x208px) Image search: [Google]
advenced faggotry.jpg
10KB, 217x208px
>>385109767
>>
>>385134432
>define better
The levels on hell and the levels that take place outdoor in DOOM more than make up for the poor encounters in corridors in between arenas.
>If you can free aim in Crash Bandicoot, will it tremendously improves the gameplay?
Crash Bandicoot isn't a FPS.
>>
File: 1498303442542.jpg (48KB, 447x589px) Image search: [Google]
1498303442542.jpg
48KB, 447x589px
>Anons are unable to comprehend that someone would play a game even if they didn't like it

What the fuck is wrong with you? I play games all the time that I know probably won't be that entertaining simply because it would be fucking retarded to go
>Hurr durr ur gaem is shit
if I don't have the credentials to really back the info up.

It's unfair to the game and the conversation as a whole.

I can't believe that you're all so sheepish as to be unable to endure a slight bit of discomfort in order to find out a measure of truth.
>>
>>385137520
>The levels on hell and the levels that take place outdoor in DOOM more than make up for the poor encounters in corridors in between arenas.
then why are the poor encounters in the game to begin with
Arcade Mode just does away with most of them
>>
>>385110985
>teach you morals or some bullshit like that.
Aside from "Don't fuck with Demon shit" or "don't fuck with the guy who kills demons", but that are fairly narrow in scope.
>>
File: 1499240419069.jpg (94KB, 457x640px) Image search: [Google]
1499240419069.jpg
94KB, 457x640px
>>385110245
>you get around half-a dozen enemies on screen at once
>MP shit.
I agree with above
the rest is just autism.

It's a good, fun game. It's not revolutionary or anything, but it's still a pretty good game

Hopefully nudoom2 will improve on everything, especially the number of enemies onscreen
>>
>>385113219
>ven pistol only ultra-nightmare playthroughs out there

I wonder how long that takes
>>
>>385136959
What design flaws?
>>
>>385134675
Oh ok anon, I think I understand what bothers you with DOOM, and to some extent, you have some valid points. I never really paid attention to the fact that many rooms do indeed have "too much space and not much hazards". And maybe that's why levels like the foundry were more memorable. I'll play Doom and DOOM back to back later to see what really stands out.
>Something that catches you off guard if you're not paying attention or not cautious of your surroundings.
Now that I think about it, you're right, DOOM doesn't have those. But I also think a lot of the surprise effect of Doom came from the fact that we were kids when we played it. I don't think I'd get as pumped playing Doom for the first time today as I was when I was 4, not even knowing what the game was and why it was on my pc. For a long time I even thought it was included with windows and every time I started the game I got adrenaline rushes. These days I don't get adrenaline rushes even on meth.

Well, guess I'll go to sleep now. Good night anon.
>>
>>385138691
do you want to short version or the long version?
>>
>>385121243
>I can't save before fights :(
This is pathetic
>>
>>385138781
long one,i haven't noticed any glaring flaws myself
>>
>>385138779
>I don't think I'd get as pumped playing Doom
Brutal Doom. Highest difficulty.
Everything 1-hits, except if you have the megasphere.

However, the difficulty makes something easier: you can kill almost everything in a handful of bullets.
>>
>>385137683
>then why are the poor encounters in the game to begin with
Because consoles that can't handle large amount of enemies and need more loading time, therefore empty corridors between each area/arena.
>>
>>385139053
Yeah I already tried brutal Doom, it was pretty fun. Really liked the blood physics. DOOM 2 should have hd blood physics.
>>
>>385138829
Unfortunately the newer version I wrote is on a different PC and posting it here would take too long, so here's a pastebin
https://pastebin.com/4nLguqKz
>>
File: 1363663714686.png (176KB, 287x230px) Image search: [Google]
1363663714686.png
176KB, 287x230px
>>385109767
Because when you're eyeball deep in guts and your health bar is flashing red so you tag a cluster of imps with a shotgun grenade and then perform a flying kick to the survivor's throat and then use the speed boost from that to dodge a hellknight leap who you then blast with the railgun, the recoil of which knocks you up to a higher platform where you can grab some armor and switch to the rocket launcher and airburst a shot between two cacodemons to stick them with a damage over time, then drop down onto a Revenant as you spin up the chaingun and lay into him while strafing around to avoid the cacodemon plasma and also the wounded hellknight leap, and suddenly you realise you're out of ammo but you just picked up some chainsaw fuel

Then you're having fun
>>
File: 1465526060492.jpg (356KB, 1920x1044px) Image search: [Google]
1465526060492.jpg
356KB, 1920x1044px
>>385139514
From your criticisms i'd say you haven't watched the making of documentary? You really should watch it, this guy is awesome and it made me realize how right he is with the design choices they made

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVLecokaRv4

that and the doom resurrected documentary
>>
>>385130106
>Just take a look at this whole thread and you'll see the same characteristics in those who respond to the game's criticisms
This thread is filled with direct refutations of said criticisms.
>>
>>385130617
>has copypasta on the subject
Literally worthless.
>>
>>385132837
In this thread and the ones preceding it. I assumed that was implicit in my statement.
>>
>>385134432
>Because I won't be operating at peak performance if I do ignore it,
You did bring up effectiveness right here. As for your concern about different playstyles, you aren't guaranteed to get all the upgrades. It's not hard to get them all, but that doesn't mean you will. And the point, my simple-minded friend, is that with the same end-point, there can be two very different journeys. It's completely valid game design. You don't like that design. That's fine. You not liking something does not make it bad.
>>
>>385136831
That's a copypasta, the single sentence replies are just telling him to fuck off after months of shitposting that exact post.
>>
>>385139707
exactly this
this is fun
>>
>>385141840
>You did bring up effectiveness right here. As for your concern about different playstyles, you aren't guaranteed to get all the upgrades. It's not hard to get them all, but that doesn't mean you will
Not all of them, but most of them which look actually interesting to me. I don't care about pistol upgrades which is why I don't spend any points on it. I don't get why I can choose between two weapon mods for a single weapon but end up having them both anyways. Why even give me the option to choose instead of just laying out weapon mods in a natural progression?

>And the point, my simple-minded friend, is that with the same end-point, there can be two very different journeys. It's completely valid game design. You don't like that design. That's fine. You not liking something does not make it bad.
I have no idea what design you are even talking about
>>
>>385130256
Hey guys reddit lmao, do i fit in?
>>
>>385110245
Why does everyone throw such an autistic shitfit about this? There are less than 20 minutes of total cutscenes in the entire game. The longest one being when you meet Samuel which is only around 2 minutes long, you fuckers blow it way out of proportion. Are you going to start complaining how there was a minute worth of text at the end of each episode in the original doom?
>>
>>385142331
Because instead of having to be spoon fed them in a set, unchanging order, you get to pick whichever suits you best early on.

>I have no idea what design you are even talking about
You don't seem to comprehend why a system would let you have choices if you're just going to up with everything anyway.
>>
>>385113142
I can smell your rotting fat folds from here
>>
>>385143985
>he doesnt like shit games so he is fat

SUMMER
>>
File: Imreal.gif (255KB, 400x320px) Image search: [Google]
Imreal.gif
255KB, 400x320px
Respond to this post or your mother will die in her sleep.
>>
>nu-doom sucks because it's not the exact same game as the one that came out 20 years ago
Imagine seeing a manchild angrily ranting because Mario Galaxy isn't literally the same thing as SuperMario Bros. 3. That's what
>>
>>385109767
>I've replayed it thrice, twice on Nightmare, in an effort to understand the game, that maybe there's some hidden genius underneath which I've not yet fully understood, but whenever I play the game my mind goes on auto-pilot and enters a vegetative state where the things happening on screen are rarely challenging

I think you've played so much Doom you can't enjoy the game anymore. Same deal happened with me and SF V.
>>
>>385144416

There is nothing good about nuDuum. It's all just fake hype, created by aggressive guerrilla and open marketing of the Zenimax, which went to the degree of sending real deal C&D threats to Hiro last year, forcing him to block posting of certain D4 related pictures and Webms that worked as negative criticism towards the gaem.

It's not a "Doom game". It's not a "throwback to 90s shooters". It's a goddamn modern, console-oriented AAA shooter, merely (poorly) masquerading as Doom.
There's so much pure bullshit, that I find it shocking that people even dare to claim that this shit is somehow "good" :

>Checkpoints.
>platforming sections.
>everything glows.
>MP is Gaylo-tier shit.
>bosses have HP bars

>>385109985
Spoken like a pure GenZ faggot who has never played original Doom games, or its clones.
The amount of depth, fast paced tactics, and attention to balance in gameplay totally tower over every other shooter released in past few years.
>>
>>385144416

I know I'm going to get shit for saying this buy I'm convinced most of the people praising the game here are paid to do it; when someone criticises the game, they say things like "It's a video game!" (>>385125164, >>385120997) or things which are just plain wrong and rely on falsified experiences (>>385109985). I say this because the reasons against criticism of the game are generic- as in, they don't talk about the game itself, but rather attack the anonymous poster or devalue the weight of otherwise essential flaws. Additionally, discussions are not the kind you typically see in /v/- discussions are usually forward and don't add the "but you have a good point" to the end of each post. That is suspiciously common in this thread.

When I play a game called DOOM that is marketed as a spiritual sequel to its predecessors, I expect similar but improved gameplay. DOOM is a completely different game.

Firstly, the new DOOM doesn't have any innovative level design that the original Doom had- in this DOOM, the every enemy you encounter will be in some kind of square arena with a few platforms and maybe a power up or two. The level layouts make absolutely no difference to gameplay. There are no traps. There are no surprises. There are no special challenges. You just kill things in several reskins of the same flat arena with minor variations.

The new DOOM has a very restrictive "level editor", if you can even call it that. It's why the old Doom's mapping community- more than 20 years old now- is more popular than DOOM Crapmap. As a result, multiplayer died less than a year after its release, and now DOOM's only use is as a benchmark for Vulkan performance in low stress workloads.
>>
File: 4chanprofilepic.jpg (7KB, 100x100px) Image search: [Google]
4chanprofilepic.jpg
7KB, 100x100px
HEY GUYS!

While everybody is busy arguing, how about we take a break and check out my gamin channel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGWrfI-Nw7c

It has a decent amount of subscribers, but I am looking for more. Make sure to leave a comment a like if you enjoy it.
>>
>>385144582
I like how Doom fanboys are in their 30s but still talk like they're in middle school.
>>
>>385144876

Wow. I normally don't like stupid e-celeb garbage, but your channel is actually really good. Keep up the good work!
>>
>>385144416
I never fall for garbage like this. kys
>>
>>385144416
fuck u
>>
>>385143030
It's a confusing addition since in this interview (https://youtu.be/LVLecokaRv4?t=9m47s) they say they cut the boring talking stuff out of the game because it didn't fit the game, yet the final product still had them. I have no idea what they were going with that. It's like a 10-second CocaCola commercial spliced in the theatre airing of a Tarkovsky movie. It's just 10 seconds, but it's still THERE.

>>385143515
It's funny that you mention that, the Dexterity skill tree doesn't unlock until you found a bunch of weapons first. That skill tree includes some speed upgrades which make life a lot easier, yet because the developers knew most people would gravitate towards such an obvious choice they locked it behind a wall first so you were better off spending your points in other skill trees on useless shit such as your automap and equipment charges. At least immunity to explosive barrels is somewhat useful, but I want to climb faster, damnit.

>you get to pick whichever suits you best early on
Weapon mod drones are plentiful enough so you can find at least one by the time you get a new weapon (and then some), so it's not like there's a scarcity or anything.
I mean, this 'choose the upgrade you want first, you'll get most of them anyways' philosophy was applied to Fallout 3, Deus Ex: Human Revolution and Prey (2017), and always had the same end result of having you be a superhuman towards the end, but completely invalidating the need for exploration since you don't have to get any stronger anymore because you're already god. This in turn also fucks with the replay value because you're able to experience every upgrade in one playthrough. You can't be a gunslinger, a stealthy thief, a pyromaniac, and a superhacker all at once. It's a complete garbage design philosophy for RPGs as it kills replay value and character building, genre hybrids aren't exempt. At that point your choices will only really matter for like the first half of the game.
>>
File: romero12-93-doom[1].jpg (95KB, 600x425px) Image search: [Google]
romero12-93-doom[1].jpg
95KB, 600x425px
The original Doom is a video game. Stress: game. One of the supreme examples of such. Doom has more in common with Minecraft than it does with Nu-Doom. The way the levels can be constructed by a designer out of very small pieces allows a huge amount of flexibility of choices, but is also just limiting enough to spark creativity. You can also compare it to games like Magic: The Gathering, or Super Mario World (another game with one of the strongest modding communities).

Nu-Doom has little in common with this. It's just another "immersive experience" shooter on rails. It's not a bad game at all, but it's forgettable while the original will likely live forever.

If someone came along and built a FPS with the things I'm talking about... $$$.
>>
>>385145392
Not to be rude but if you are going to participate in the debate, can you please focus on the game itself and not the design philiosophy? Save those for other threads pls
>>
It's great fun. There really is no more to it.

If you don't find it fun, that's okay.

If you're mad because it's not exactly like the original, you should probably have stopped playing video games a long time ago.
>>
>>385144416
Fuck off
>>
>>385137659
what the fuck
do you also watch every movie?
eat every disgusting food?

I call this shit bullshit
Thread posts: 238
Thread images: 24

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.