[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is the mobile games market the most oversaturated heap of garbage

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 9

Is the mobile games market the most oversaturated heap of garbage so far? This is Atari era levels of trash.
>>
Yes.
>>
>>385106801
Without a doubt.
>>
I wonder if there will be a mobile crash.
I doubt consoles or pc will ever experience another crash, but I could see the mobile market getting so bogged down with paytoplay autobilling addiction nabbling bullshit that something might happen due to it
>>
>>385106801
That must hurt, having melted cheese all over your head.
>>
>>385107000
Phones are the most popular mobile console.everyone owns one. Sooo i wouldn't be surprised if Vidya is only released for cellphones some day.

There's no crash coming kek.
>>
>>385107219
Yeah, you got a good point, too big to fail.
Shame though. But hey, if it becomes the main modus of getting games to the populace, maybe one day it might not be filled with gutter trash.
>>
>>385107000
Unlikely.
Nowadays is very easy to put out a game so for every small team that fails, a hundred more will take their place.
>>
>>385107407
Wasn't this exactly what caused the vidya crash before? Anyone could just shit out a game and there being no quality control? Sounds like the mobile market to me.
>>
>>385106801
Mobile gaming right now is actually worse than pre-crash levels, nearly everything is absolute shit and they are loaded with microtranactions. Even the worst shovelware producers couldn't have shit out the stuff we have now.

The only thing saving the market is that the games are for the most part f2p and no matter how bad the quality gets, it won't kill off the hardware because everyone is going to buy a smartphone anyway.
>>
>>385107524
Big part of the previous crash was an overabundance of consoles and a complete mess of exclusivity. Sadly, mobile is just two large platforms with no competition.
>>
>get galaxy S2 in 2011
>check out the play store
>download a bunch of games and lose interest

>get lg g3 in 2014
>check out the play store
>literally the same boring shit rehashed

>get galaxy s8 in may
>still the same fucking games from years ago

The actual fuck is wrong with mobile gaming
>>
File: no gamez.jpg (4MB, 4000x4069px) Image search: [Google]
no gamez.jpg
4MB, 4000x4069px
no it isn't
>>
>>385107524
The market is very different to what it was back then. Gaming is way WAY bigger than 30 years ago. There is a shit load of crowds to appeal to and genres to explore.
When people get tired of candy crash and its clones, the developers will move on to another kind of game.
>>
File: 1500395677995.jpg (52KB, 447x266px) Image search: [Google]
1500395677995.jpg
52KB, 447x266px
Be honest /v/, what sort of potential could mobile games could achieve if we got actual quality?
>>
I play block hexa. It's a nice puzzle game for when I'm on the john. Comfy music.
>>
>>385107563
Always online games were a mistake. Imagine if your Atari was always connected to the internet.
>Be playing E.T.
>Fall in a ransom hole and die
>Box pops up "Would you like to purchase additional lives for $0.99?"
That's basically the current state of mobile games.
>>
>>385107972
Not much because touchscreen-only is a severe limitation. The control scheme you're working with is an equivalent of a very imprecise mouse and requires the player to cover parts of the screen with his hands. There's not much you can achieve here.
>>
>>385107219
>>385107407

Popularity isn't as important as profit. Phone games make most of their money off a small handful of idiots that buy into all the pay2win shit, if they leave (or stop having money) then their business plan no longer works. I see the market falling apart through the following:

- much greater "parental protection" restrictions on phones that hurt kids' ability to download or buy things within apps
- regular (non-reloadable) prepaid cards not being accepted on itunes or google play, which would hurt kids' ability to buy things in the first place (as reloadable cards are only issued to people over 18, require activation, require a social security number to activate, and require a PIN to actually use)
- parents not giving their kids phones because they will remember all the stupid shit they themselves did with their phones as kids
- crackdown on foreign-made games over fears of credit card fraud and/or hacking
- the FBI taking down game makers for tax evasion and/or money laundering, forcing Google and Apple to enact stricter submission guidelines
- Google and Apple requiring an ESRB rating for every game submitted, say in response some sort of hot coffee style scandal
- less games being made overall except ones that can net a AAA branding deal

To be clear this wouldn't completely kill mobile gaming, but it'd be a bloodbath.
>>
>>385107972
Stuff like Pokemon GO showed potential, but without any battling or trading, it felt squandered. Puzzle games are pretty decent, but almost all of them look really generic and are riddled with P2W or funbucks, intrusive ads etc. It's just the nature of the mobile market. No one wants to pay more than $5 for a game, but the alternative is having nothing but safe games that are cheaply made.
>>
>>385107000
There already technically was, the difference is that people were/are still buying phones, so it's not as noticeable or devastating. The market's already somewhat recovered, but if you look at what survived it's pretty much just OP related and gacha shit.
>>
But battle cats
>>
File: llamas.jpg (123KB, 614x712px) Image search: [Google]
llamas.jpg
123KB, 614x712px
What's the problem? I've spent hours playing another game from OP's dev, but haven't spent a dime and never felt like I had to. It's just a diversion while I sit on the toilet.
>>
File: HorseArmorElven.png (3MB, 1634x1048px) Image search: [Google]
HorseArmorElven.png
3MB, 1634x1048px
The gaming market as a whole needs to crash.

Thank you Bethesda.
>>
>>385108158
But the Switch isn't touchscreen-only.
I agree tho the "controller" is shit.
>>
>>385107972
Arcade,puzzle and card games.

I played a shantae game from mobile when it was downloadable for free and one of those sonic racer games as well. While i had fun with these games they would have been much better not on mobile.

My overall low interest for mobile games has dropped dramatically since 2013 and i can't see it really recovering to a point where i would consider playing some of the popular mobile games at the moment.

I just don't see how a simple touch screen as a control can produce anything outstanding.
>>
>MUH CRASH

Kek, why do nerds always want something to end dramtically?
>>
File: 1445737296818.gif (3MB, 350x188px) Image search: [Google]
1445737296818.gif
3MB, 350x188px
>In 10 years there will be people with nostalgia for some p2w mobile garbage out today
>>
>>385108646

it's more of a /pol/ influence than a "nerd" influence
>>
>>385108675
Oh please, people have been nostalgiafagging for newgrounds garbage for years now.
>>
>>385108137
This is the fault of arcades dying, now home games have to be quarter munchers
>>
>>385107524
yeah except this time people can still try games for free
>>
>>385107056
That's why he's screaming
>>
>>385108756
At least newgrounds garbage was actually free.
>>
>>385108220
Nope, most whales arent kids that plunder their parents their card, it are adults.
>>
There will never be another gaming crash.

The last one happened because it was the 1980s and there was no way to tell the shit from the good games, so people stopped buying games completely because they were sick of spending $65 (today's money) on shit.

Now, it is very easy to know what is and isn't good, so people will always buy what they like.

There will also always be a market for normal people who don't pay attention to video game reviews and just buy random shit.
>>
>>385109108
Stop spacing your posts like this, you retard. Fuck.
>>
>>385109183
No.

Go back to plebddit if people typing differently triggers you.
>>
>>385109183
autistic
>>
>>385109307
The irony.
>>
>>385109183
You have been conditioned to think spacing like that is a Reddit thing
>>
>>385108825
Arcade had some classic games. Can you say the same about mobile? Not really.
>>
>>385107000
Mark my words, the E.T. of mobile games is coming, and it isn't going to be pretty.
It's going to be fucking beautiful.
>>
>>385109501
It's not, but it's still fucking retarded. It's like capitalizing every word. Would You Prefer If I Typed Like This? It Wouldn't Annoy You At All?
We should try to maintain at least some sort of standard here.

>>385109603
It's not easier to read. It just takes up more space.
>>
>>385107000
There can never be a mobile crash since everyone owns a phone.
>>
>>385109621
>significantly lower standards
>>
>>385109658

WouldyoupreferifIwrotelikethis,youknowittakeslet'sspaceandit'sreallynotthatmuchhardertoreadeither?Maybeyou'rejustaneasilytriggeredfaggotnewtothefuckingworld.
>>
>>385109658
what is retarded about it? its not at all like capitalizing every word at all
>>
>>385109658
>We should try to maintain at least some sort of standard here.
And the standard across nearly the entire world is "double space between thoughts because it is easier to read"

And no "one sentence isn't a paragraph!" isn't an argument on a website with character limits.
>>
>>385109746
No. Because that's not how you type, you absolute mongoloid. Read a book, nigger.
>>
>>385109183
>I dropped out of high school and don't know how to break up my paragraphs
So this is nu-/v/...
>>
>>385107056
Yeah look at his expression
>>
>>385109934
>seven words
>paragraph
You must be at least 18 to post on this site.
>>
>>385108646
It won't end dramatically with the way things are going. Even if the nature of this market did allow for that to happen, the vidya giants would never let it get buzz. It's just going to calmly and slowly ramp downwards for years until suddenly everyone realizes it's practically rock bottom.
>>
>>385106801
there's nothing worthwhile on mobile except emulators
>>
Jesus, that thread derailed from "mobile games are shit" to "you can't write like that you autistic fuck" real quick

An dby the way, I'm partisan of the double spacing between thoughts.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand, I think there won't be any crash at all. People buying games and in-app purchases aren't the backbone of this micro-economy. Ads are. And as long as players play the games, they will be seeing those ads, so the games will make money. Mobile games truly is the only domain I can think of that PROFITS from its gratuitousness
>>
>>385109882
>And
And if you can't even punctuation just get the fuck out.
>>
The only good mobile game is World of Goo.
>>
>>385109183

I'm not sure if this is some elaborate bait recently by a very few dedicated people or if it started as ironic shitposting that a bunch of underages clung on to.

Go read anything about text spacing and typography and kill yourself.
>>
>>385110082

A paragraph is not defined by length.
>>
File: 1484265099261.jpg (17KB, 400x327px) Image search: [Google]
1484265099261.jpg
17KB, 400x327px
>Reddit spacing
>>
File: 9d696025579af731a5bf532abb59287b.jpg (447KB, 1136x640px) Image search: [Google]
9d696025579af731a5bf532abb59287b.jpg
447KB, 1136x640px
>>385110370
for example, Crossy Roads made 3 millions dollars from ads alone.
Combine this with in-add purchases, and you have a great business model.
The main problem comes from picking the right ads, in terms of not slowing your app down, not ruin the user's experience etc.
>>
>>385107887
The only decent games on that list are ports. Otherwise they're only good if you have extremely low standards. What are people smoking when they say games like Pocket Mortys are good?
>>385107972
Mobile is where I played Ghost Trick. It worked really well. The Ace Attorney port was also nice. There are actually heaps of high quality DS games that would easily work on a touch screen but all we get is shit. Look at "Layton Brothers" on Android. They could have just made a Layton game, but making a good game is apparently against the rules.
This reminds me that Lady Layton came out 5 days ago. I really hope it's good.
Thread posts: 63
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.