[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are 2D Metroid games a relic of the past? Metroid games are usually

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1

Are 2D Metroid games a relic of the past? Metroid games are usually short but sweet and have a lot of replay value because they're simply enjoyable to control while giving you a fair amount of freedom in terms of what upgrades/expansions you pick up. Some Metroid games allow you to sequence-break or skip items entirely, which makes subsequent playthroughs different. But even the linear ones allow you to pick up as many expansions as you need, effectively acting as a difficulty slider. And more importantly, the games were optimised for speed. Backtracking was usually minimal and if you know what you are doing then you can complete the games very quickly. Nowadays people don't care about that. There are so many games out there that modern gamers don't really replay games, they just play a game then move onto the next one. Because of this, a game being short is considered a very bad thing, since a short game will not keep the player entertained as much as a long game.

I imagine this is the reason why it's been so long since the last 2D Metroid game and I imagine that Samus Returns will be criticised for its short length. The fact that they added the Scan Pulse to the game seems to confirm that Nintendo understand that players' attitudes have changed over the years. If they didn't add it then players would end up missing a fair number of expansions and complete the game very quickly before forgetting about it. The Scan Pulse can pique the players interest and encourage them to find the expansion, prolonging their playtime.
>>
Will it be kino?
>>
>>385104901
>The fact that they added the Scan Pulse to the game seems to confirm that Nintendo understand that players' attitudes have changed over the years. If they didn't add it then players would end up missing a fair number of expansions and complete the game very quickly before forgetting about it. The Scan Pulse can pique the players interest and encourage them to find the expansion, prolonging their playtime.
That's a very optimistic vew you have there
To me they added the scan pulse 'cause everyone nowdays is a moron and would get stuck as badly as those Super Metroid miiverse dudes
>>
Using the Scan Pulse isn't much different from using the X Ray Scope.
>>
>>385106004
Metroid games are usually quite straight-forward to complete, it's only the expansions that are pretty well hidden. This seems to be following in the same vein, I doubt that people will need the scan pulse to figure out a way forward in the game.

>>385106265
The X-Ray Scope is somewhat hidden in Super Metroid, it's hidden behind a Power Bomb door and it "requires" the Grapple Beam to reach it so the player won't get it until around half-way through the game. Super Metroid had a few upgrades that felt more like added bonuses rather than important upgrades (like the X-Ray Scope, Spazer Beam and Spring Ball). In SR, the Scan Pulse is one of the first upgrades you get in the game and it seems to be mandatory. In terms of functionality, it's not too different but it is pushed onto the player a lot harder.
Thread posts: 5
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.