[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the general consensus on this, /v/? I was thinking

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_6028.jpg (333KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6028.jpg
333KB, 1920x1080px
What's the general consensus on this, /v/? I was thinking of picking it up.
>>
I'd say its good but if RNG pisses you off easily then its probably not for you.
The game can be a real bastard if you don't plan ahead to minimize risk.
Also it can be a tad grindy sometimes but the devs are making moves to address it.
>>
RNG difficulty isn't even the worst part about it. The grind is.
If you're okay with monotonously repeating the same stages over and over until you've gathered enough resources to upgrade your base and your heroes, you might like it.
Then do it three times all over again, because the special mechanic prevents you from using the old heroes on the final stretch of the game, so you have to fully level and gear up at least four parties of four people in order to finish it.
>>
File: 1489248917355.jpg (694KB, 1000x1559px) Image search: [Google]
1489248917355.jpg
694KB, 1000x1559px
>>385095976
People are going to tell you two things:
>'Fucking RNG bullshit'
>'Risk management'

It's a game about the latter. This is a game that requires heavy player knowledge about all the details and the mechanics, as well as RNG. But, everything is fair enough to the point where if you know the game and how it works, you'll run into no problems, save for the one exceedingly rare scenario where the game just doesn't want you to have a good run.

It's a very solid turn-based game with a few mechanics thrown in for making it more skill-based, instead of just throwing the tankiest guys with the biggest health bars to steamroll everything. There's an absolutely godly narrator following you through your adventures, and you'll quickly fall in love with his manner of speaking. There are classes, all of which are very viable in a number of compositions, and belong in on of four 'positions' on your (left) side of the screen. Some characters can only use certain abilities in position 3-4(the back row), for example.

Gameplay is separated into two avenues: The town and embark screen (your management hub) where you upgrade your buildings, change hero abilities, and choose your items to bring on the trip, and the expedition (the actual game) wherein you make use of your chosen heroes and skills to conquer the dungeons. Both are equally as important to your success.

There are a few things which I dislike, though. There's kind of a hill mid-late game where a significant grind starts to show, where you need to collect increasingly in higher demand heirlooms to upgrade your buildings, and you gold will be draining to almost zero constantly if you keep trying to upgrade your guys.
>>
It's a good game. Great visuals, great voice work, good combat.
The downside is that the game wants you to spend a fuckload of time playing what should be a 16 hour game. You can never really lose ('cept on NG+), you just have to do some work all over again. You fuck up or get unlucky and lose your four best men? Well, better hire some new men and start over again. That's the punishment for failure - having to do the stuff you've already done over again. That can take hours, hours filled with stuff you've already done.
You have to be prepared for that stuff. But hey, I recommend it. It is a good game.
>>
>>385096491
The good thing about having the heroes never go to the darkest dungeon again is that they no longer take up space in your roster.

So instead of being limited to 28 heroes you can potentially have up to 44.
>>
>>385096698
I guess. It doesn't save you time on grind for the remaining DD quests though.
>>
>>385095976
First 6-10 hours its fucking amazing.
Then it gradually worsens to the point of complete shit.
>>
>>385095976
It's fun for the first 10 hours or so then you run out of things to discover and experiment with and it gets dull as fuck
>>
It can get repetitive and grindy but I use that time to try new party combinations and strategies. There's also a lot of mostly broken class mods to add some life to the game and an "easy mode" that just reduces the grind but doesn't change any damage or stat value so the game's as hard as the original.

If you love games where you build teams this is for you, just don't et too attached to your characters
>>
>>385095976
It's really fun when you're starting out, trying out characters and seeing the cool areas. The look and feel of the game is really impressive.

Then a few hours later it hits you how grindy and repetitive the game is, and it gets grating.

Like, losing a character hits you not because you really liked that specific character, but because it takes half a dozen hours to grind em' up slowly and one bad dice roll can render it worthless, accompanied by the fact that you need to raise up at least 4 teams to max level
>>
Slowly, gently, this is how a tide is turned.
>>
>>385095976
It would've been better if you had only 1 of each class for the entire game and abandoned the grind in favor of well designed scenarios.
>>
One of the main problems in the game is that it gives you so little new stuff when you advance through the levels.
You get to improve what's already there (equipment and skills) but you've already tried it all out. Most games offer some kind of twist on the gameplay or adding new stuff that gives you new opportunities or hindrances - here you get a few new enemies, and that's it.
Take something like XCOM for example. Here you get new enemies, new weapons, new items to use, and most importantly new skills for your troops. It rewards you for keeping people alive and not losing by giving you new stuff to mess around with. DD doesn't reward you with anything interesting - it just punishes you for failing... and it's not even an interesting punishment, it's just "oh, looks like you'll have to spend 10 hours getting a new team together!"

I like the game, but it needed more variation. You go from doing 10 damage to monsters with 20 health, to doing 15 damage to monsters with 30 health.
>>
>>385096491
>>385096259
New to the game, but im seeing the dungeons i go into grow 'levels' and it looks like if i go into them enough the selection of quests into the dungeon will be permanently of a higher level

Can you monotonously grind and still maintain a spread out roster that can go into the harder dungeons in mid/late game?
>>
>>385098585
The levels of the missions are based on your roster's level, not the zone's level

Levelling up your roster evenly is actually more ideal than just rushing a few up high
>>
>>385098585
That does happen, but there are always some apprentice/veteran level dungeons for you to go, if you need to level up some fresh heroes. The game never really cuts you out of low level quests.
But what does happen is your heroes will refuse to go into low level dungeons, so if you fail to kill the low/medium level bosses in time, you might run into a problem where you don't have free spots in your roster anymore, so you will have to kick out your level 6 heroes to make space for low level ones.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.