[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Gameplay in singleplayer games serve the same purpose that Prose

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: 1500886793484.gif (469KB, 512x807px) Image search: [Google]
1500886793484.gif
469KB, 512x807px
Gameplay in singleplayer games serve the same purpose that Prose does in Literature. It's meant to give the narrative flavor. It gives it spice, it gives it sweetness, it gives it variety, however they decide to implement it.

Without it, you could tell the greatest story in the world, but it would be BORING.

Therefore, if you were to create a story-driven game, it should implement gameplay well.

In addition to that, while many say that games don't need a story, neither do books, but let's be honest here: Do you really think the novels with the best prose and no substance or depth are really worth reading for any other reason than to experience that prose? It gives you nothing else useful in life.
>>
> literature analogies
>>
>>385085025
not impressed my friend

you're trying too hard to sound a certain way
>>
>>385085025
The answer to your question is yes, and books with good prose and no substance would largely refer to fiction. Which is meant to entertain.

But why bring up this analogy, what are you trying to say?
>>
>>385085416
I believe that videogames should stop the conflict between trying to tell a story and having gameplay, and instead work together like many games in the past have done before. Games like Killer 7, Shadow of the Colossus, Metal Gear Solid 2, Majora's Mask, etc.
>>
>>385085531
What is it that the other games are doing wrong in your opinion?

it's kinda easy to point to a cherry picked list of games you like and claim that all the others fail in this arbitrary category of yours, elaborate some more on this conflict
>>
>>385085976
I believe that a lot of narrative driven games don't use gameplay to really add any flavor to the story they're telling, it's more of a means to an end.

Bioshock Infinite, for example, doesn't use its gameplay to push the story well enough. In Gone Home, the gameplay is the same throughout. It's all walking and picking things up, there's no variety, it's deadpan, bland, forgettable. It's dry. The story wasn't as compelling as it could have been because of how boring it is, ignoring the fact the story is poorly written. On the other hand, look at Shadow of the Colossus. The game has a relatively unique control scheme and mechanics that all contribute to the tone of the story. Climbing up a giant's back and holding on using the controls, climbing up and stabbing at the weak points, the stamina meter slowly draining as you hold on for dear life.. without them, the story wouldn't be half as "epic" or exciting.
>>
>>385086565
>a well thought out post
what the fuck
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.