[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

When was the last time a launch title had the 'wow factor'

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4

File: casefront.jpg (262KB, 1461x1461px) Image search: [Google]
casefront.jpg
262KB, 1461x1461px
When was the last time a launch title had the 'wow factor' in the same way that Sonic Adventure did? Regardless of what you think of the game, it looked light years ahead of the competition when it was launched. I can't think of a single launch title from this century that's had that kind of impact.
>>
>>385052931
halo
>>
Sonic Adventure still is the best 3D Sonic and all these other faggots can suck my nuts
>>
>>385053438
You're not wrong.
>>
>>385053438
spbp
>>
>>385052931
I bought this with my DC on 9/9/99 and completely agree that we won't ever see a leap like that again until a console comes out with global raycasting or something. I spent hours walking along the beach watching sonic leave footprints in the sand. It was glorious.
>>
File: 1479456805044.jpg (69KB, 435x452px) Image search: [Google]
1479456805044.jpg
69KB, 435x452px
>>385052931
It wasn't a launch title but Jak and Daxter completely blew me away when it came out.
The animations are still some of the best I've seen in vidya, the world was huge and they way you'd go into some levels made the whole thing feel seamless, and it always ran at a really good framerate (this was probably the game that made me become completely aware of framerate since it was usually much lower in other 3d games)

Also, I wish Sonic Adventure had more time in development, and that they focused more on just sonic. What we got was impressive, but they only had ~8 months of development time to develop all that shit for a brand new console.
>>
>>385053438
Agreed, but I liked Adventure 2 a little more
>>
>>385053867
I feel you on Jak and Daxter

at the time it was some cool fucking shit
>>
pgr3 for me, xbox 360 was such a massive jump over previous gen
>>
>>385053841
When I first fired it up, I spent a good 20 minutes navigating through the menus and listening to the sound test. The sound effects and music were beautiful, and the transition between sub-menus was so smooth.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFhvmPT89Yo
>>
File: ws.jpg (81KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
ws.jpg
81KB, 1280x720px
>>
File: IMG_0382.jpg (33KB, 361x232px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0382.jpg
33KB, 361x232px
Came out 3 days after the GameCube was released, but Melee had a huge graphical improvement over the original Smash 64, it looked almost realistic to my 7 year old self
>>
>>385052931
Arkham Knight
>>
>>385054871
My nigga. This, Pikmin, and even Luigi's Mansion looked so good compared to the N64.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.