[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /v/ what good metroidvanias have you played? Just played

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 6

Hey /v/ what good metroidvanias have you played?

Just played through Hollow Knight (great), Castlevania SotN (great) and Salt & Sanctuary (meh), and I'm looking for something else worthwhile.
>>
>>385039678
you need to play Aria of Sorrow, La Mulana, and of course Super Metroid if you haven't yet
>>
>>385039678
whats with all this shitposting with this game
its a good game fuck you
>>
>"good metroidvanias"
>>
>>385039815
Thanks, and no, I haven't played Super Metroid, but I guess that's the logical next step. Isn't Aria of Sorrow just kinda more of the same with SotN? Not that that's a bad thing, I guess.
>>
File: header.jpg (34KB, 460x215px) Image search: [Google]
header.jpg
34KB, 460x215px
Axiom Verge was pretty fine as well.
>>
>>385039678
La Mulana, Win the Game (and the "Super" sequel), Valdis Story, Momodora 2 and sequels (first one is mostly linear).
Aria/Dawn of Sorrow, Harmony of Dissonance, Portrait of Ruin, Metroid series as a whole (especially Super).
>>
I dislike metroidvanias, but Hollow Knight is pretty good
>>
>>385040136
Aria of Sorrow has better gameplay and level design than SotN, but worse music and graphics (not that they're bad, just the GBA is worse hardware than PS1)
>>
>>385039882
Yes, Hollow Knight is great. I refunded Salt & Sanctuary though.
>>
>>385039678
Tbh Super Metroid is the best "metroidvania".

I think SotN has great moments, but overall it's a meh game. Many so called metroidvanias end up being plain tunnels with very little thought and weak level design.
>>
>>385040940
Super Metroid isn't technically a metroidvania.
>>
>>385041000
As if anyone would care
>>
Op, don't miss out on Iji, it's free and it's great.
>>
>>385040873
It's a souls-like and I wanted to play something like Dark Souls, and it was like Dark Souls, but not the good parts, so I kept playing it, hoping it'd get better, and it never did.
>>
File: f63.jpg (41KB, 396x382px) Image search: [Google]
f63.jpg
41KB, 396x382px
>>385040136
>I haven't played Super Metroid
despite that I feel I can accurately judge Hollow Knight as
>>385039678
>great

Hahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahaaaa
>>
>>385039815
>La Mulana
Seconding this
>>
cave story
>>
File: rr.jpg (62KB, 460x215px) Image search: [Google]
rr.jpg
62KB, 460x215px
Don't mind me
>>
>>385041723
Yeah, Cave Story's fantastic. The music is the shit, too.

>>385041437
>implying good games only good if you play their good predecessors
>>
>>385040940
>Many so called metroidvanias end up being plain tunnels
So like Super Metroid is what you're telling me
>>
>>385042214
Yeah, I've played like an hour of Super Metroid and that's what turned me off from it, it seems really fucking linear, but I think I might give it the ol' college try anyway
>>
>>385042174
To be fair, after playing things like Super Metroid Hollow Knight may feel a little....heh.....hollow
>>
>>385042174
>>implying good games--

Stop right there, Reddit. I never implied it was good.
>>
File: not squishy.jpg (106KB, 1213x673px) Image search: [Google]
not squishy.jpg
106KB, 1213x673px
Reminder that Hollow Knight's limbs aren't actually squishy, juicy bug tissue, but actually hard, skinny exoskeletons.
Don't fall for the bug meme, bugs aren't squishy except Salubra, but she's a slug.
>>
>>385042685
All games are bad, but lets move past that for now.
>>
>>385039678
Ori and Super Metroid are bretty gud.
>>
Is anyone in here a backer of La Mulana 2, and if so, can they tell me what the last update said? The title was Sick Leave and there hasn't been an update since, even though they were every friday before that
>>
>>385043108
If hollow knight is a good game why doesn't it have good gameplay?
>>
>>385043417
Because it's just your opinion, dude.
>>
>>385043009
Wait, is there a webcomic/comic/graphic novel of hollow knight? Gonna need a source please
>>
>>385043709
Yes. That's one of the backer rewards.
Some anon once posted it on /v/ and I just grabbed it, but it's just the first chapter.
I don't know if there's more of it.
>>
>>385043597
If Hollow Knight not having good gameplay is just my opinion, then there must be evidence that it has good gameplay. Please post evidence of good gameplay.
>>
>>385044512
Why didn't you post evidence of it being bad?
>>
>>385039678
Played Shitae and the Pirate's Curse, Duff: An Elysian Ale. Tried Hollow Knight, but my laptop is too shit for the game.
>>
>>385041437
Hollow Knight is better than Super Metroid
>>
File: fb7.gif (533KB, 381x512px) Image search: [Google]
fb7.gif
533KB, 381x512px
>>385040286
>no one else is mentioning Axiom Verge
One dude made this in his spare time. And we have 3 hour $40 walking simulators made by entire teams that can't even be fun
>>
>>385045321

Super Metroid came out 23 years ago. I would hope that game designers have improved their craft a little in that span of time.
>>
>>385043282
No one?
>>
>>385045126
It's not that one is bad and the other is good, it's that one is good and the other is better.
>>
what other metroidvanias are as fun as this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJnpYTq8KWE
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.