[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is Mario 64 really a platforming game? Some people I was discussing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

File: 1485200959231.jpg (55KB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
1485200959231.jpg
55KB, 480x270px
Is Mario 64 really a platforming game?

Some people I was discussing this with earlier insist it is a collectathon, are they right?
>>
You're only collecting one damn thing. Collectathons have a plethora of shit. Your friends are dumb.
>>
If Mario 64 was just a collectathon, they'd also have to consider games like Crash or Spyro one, too.
>>
>>385014171
Not to mention that the main gameplay of the game is to get from platform to platform
>>
Was Mario 64 the very first 3d platformer?

Either way, it was ahead of its time. Aged by now though. Sunshine eternally better and still relevant.
>>
collectathon is something like banjo kazooie where you got 100 fucking jiggies to collect in each level.

in mario your objective is to grab 1 star in a level by doing platforming elements
>>
No it has very few characteristics of a collectathon. The red coin and "five secrets" missions are the only ones where you collect things. In every other mission, the star plays the same role as the flag pole in the original Mario Bros.
>>
>>385014382
alpha waves in 1990 was the first 3d platformer.

mario 64 was the game that defined the genre by having tight controls and a third person camera
>>
>>385014071
Is Banjo and Kazooie not a platformer?
>>
>>385014553
>banjo and kazooie
>>
A collectathon isn't a gameplay genre, it just means the game is focused around collecting shit. It can be both a platformer and a collectathon
>>
File: 1500318665000.jpg (19KB, 480x347px) Image search: [Google]
1500318665000.jpg
19KB, 480x347px
>>385014553
>>385014715
>>
>>385015746
This
Pretty much any action genre can be a collectathon
>>
>>385014553
It is, it just has less focus on Platforming and more on collecting.
>>
>>385014071
>Is Mario 64 really a platforming game?

You are one big dumb fuck.
>>
File: 203.jpg (98KB, 1152x864px) Image search: [Google]
203.jpg
98KB, 1152x864px
I think it's a collectathon. You collect coins, red coins, blue coins, secrets, stars..
I don't see how it isn't one.
>>
>>385014071
>>385015746
Collecathon isn't even a subgenre, it's an insult meant to disparage bad 3D platformers that feel laborious to play. It's a marathon of collecting things, not a fun game about movement.
People who try to use the term like it's a good thing are underaged or just dumbasses.
>>
>>385017542
You are absolutely correct. It's just less obnoxious about it than, say, Banjo.
>>
>>385014171
It's both. I guess I would argue that SM64 only has Power Stars and maybe 8 Red Coins/100 coins as far as collectibles, but it set the standards for 3D platformers and allowed for Banjo Kazooie to debateably pushing the collecting way too fucking far
>>
Collecting things is fun. There's only so much you can do jumping on stuff
>>
Collect a thon is not a genre you fucking apes. Is DKC 2 a collect a thon because you collect dk coins, kong letters, etc?
>>
>>385019827
>sonic is a collectathon because you collect rings
>SMB3 is a collectathon because you collect powerups and coins
>doom is a collectathon because you collect weapons and items
collectathon is the most retarded "genre" ever
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.