[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want to make games so fucking bad. I watch tutorials for Unreal

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 6

File: UE4StaticScreenBlackBackground.jpg (318KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
UE4StaticScreenBlackBackground.jpg
318KB, 1920x1080px
I want to make games so fucking bad. I watch tutorials for Unreal and shit, but I just want to get out there and make my own already.

But at the same time, I'm too stupid to learn everything by myself from tutorials. I can't code, so I'm using blueprints. A teacher or someone who can guide me would be fantastic.
>>
I'm not going to teach you how to code, but you should go pick up C++ or Python for Beginners and work on doing the programs and worksheets in those books.

If you can't do that you will never have the patience and willpower to code for a living.
>>
>>385001554
The only way to learn code is to code yourself.
Buy a book if you have to
>>
>>385001672
>>385001681

See i want to do this but at the same time im too fucking lazy to read a book.

damn it, fucking video games
>>
>>385001961
I don't have sympathy for being too lazy to succeed at something. Come on you fucking lard, accomplish something. You going to want to do it forever or are you going to do it?
>>
>>385001554
You're also underage and should fuck off.
>>
>>385001961
You could be the idea guy. There is a severe lack of those in the industry.
>>
>>385002430
>
>>
sololearn.com
>>
>>385001961
Python is super easy to learn and there are a bunch of books that teach you step by step how to make games with python. Even great games like Mount & Blade were done in python

>>385002539
Lol
>>
Why do you want to make games?
>>
>>385001554

Star with making mods.

If you want to focus on asset creation, level design or programming....literally any aspect of games development, making mods will allow you to do it, give you something to show for it and ease you into the total clusfterfuck and endless torment that is games development.
>>
>>385002670
>Lol
Welp, that confirms what >>385002430 said
Fuck off, underage
>>
>>385001554

Just download Unity and watch some YouTube tutorials and download prefabs from the Unity store. There, you've made a shitty game. You don't even need to code anything if you really avoid it.
>>
>>385001554
Some dude is making money on steam just by replacing objects on default Unreal template without even touching the blueprints. I wish I was joking.

I'll bet you can do better OP.
>>
>>385002906

Link?
>>
>>385001554
Well I'm making a game. I'm in the same position where I'm just using blue prints. These things are fucking amazing. I think I could create 99.9% of my game without learning to code lol. Other .1% is going to be special control inputs.

Here's some advice. Unless you are both a polymath and have an incredible work ethic OR are willing to spend 6 years of your life. You cannot make the game by yourself. You need a friend who is an artist. Not just any artist but one with VISION and style.

Look at all the indie games that are steam check a few of the sales numbers on steam spy and you will notice something. If a game has a good style and actual skill to the 3D or sprites than it will sell even if the mechanics and level design are completly unremarkable.
>>
>>385002797
>total clusfterfuck and endless torment that is games development

This. Making vidya has to be a passion more than anything else just because of the multiple disciplines involved for even the simplest of projects. Making mods is a great way to get started.

Has anyone come up with a GUI editor for Darkest Dungeon stats? I'm thinking about making it in Swift because I'm a faggot and I need the experience. and because all the files are JSON and some sick non-comma csv-esque stuff.
>>
>>385002797
Sounds good to me, what are some easy games to start modding in? Maybe something like sims 4 or skyrim?
>>
>>385003034
Didn't mentioned the name because I forgot the name. It was an early access shooter that stop updating after people accusing him of using default unreal template and actually just replacing assets with store bought assets.
>>
>>385002797
This.

Though it's a shame most of the mod communities are kinda dead these days.
>>
>>385003286

Yeah Skyrim or basically any Gamebryo game is a really good place to start if you want to get your hands dirty with making assets, level design, quest design/writing. The tools are idiot proof and ridiculously well documented.

Sims I have zero experience with modding, but it's probably pretty straight forward to at least start making assets for.

If you're keen to do vehicles, pick a GTA game and go nuts.

ARMA 2/3 is another readily modded game, since the original Operation Flashpoint they've come with an excellent editor that allows you to easily create missions and give you a taste of baby's first scripting, asset creation is a little more involved, but again it's very doable and there's plenty of tutorials out there.

And shit, virtually ever FPS these days comes with tools to allow you to make maps etc

Really just find a game that you really enjoy that has even a modicum of mod support and start there, just make something small to begin with and work your way up, get a feel for what you enjoy doing and build on that.

>>385003351

No worries, i'll see if I can track it down and sort them out.
>>
>>385003076
>tfw blueprints are fucking me hard

They just feel so god damn unintuitive. Like a simple "I want X variable from Y blueprint to be able to be used by Z blueprint" took me like a week of frustration to get working and even then I'm not really sure what the fuck I did to make it work.
>>
>>385003198
>wanting to be Apple's bitch
>mfw

At least use Go or something
>>
File: CC2header.jpg (35KB, 460x215px) Image search: [Google]
CC2header.jpg
35KB, 460x215px
>>385003076
>If a game has a good style and actual skill to the 3D or sprites
You forgot to mentioned boobs. Even if there's only one single ingame image that shows boobs, putting it somewhere in the game header will boost your game beyond the 100+ sales range.
>>
>>385002906
>>385003351
How does that even work? I mean from what I've seen none of the templates are really games, more just control methods. So unless the FPS was just a walking sim he would have needed to add a lot of shit no?

>>385003902
To be fair, modeling for Skyrim is the single most frustrating and tedious thing I have ever done in my life. I want to publicly execute the fucker that came up with the nif format. Doesn't help that there is pretty much no tutorials that actually help either since all the tools are so fucking wonky and barely works cause Bethesda sure as fuck ain't gonna help.
>>
>I can't x

Just fucking do it. No one ever magically did x from the first minute
>>
>>385001554
>too stupid
>not using Construct 2
>>
File: 1500814005940.jpg (80KB, 766x960px) Image search: [Google]
1500814005940.jpg
80KB, 766x960px
>>385004337
>GameMaker's UI is too retarded for me
>Construct 2 is great but they fell for the HTML5 meme and more or less ruined the thing because of it
>ClickFusion or whatever the Japs use is too fucking aged

I just want to play around and make shitty 2D games without learning how to program man.
>>
>>385003913
You never get to the point where there isn't frustrating moments like that. However it ends up being that you take less time to find the solution and that the moments happen less awful. Part of it is you just learn more functions, another part is your brain starts to pick up on the type of logic that Unreal operates on.

I made the mistake of thinking I just needed to 'get over that' and than there would be no other problems. That's a bad attitude. You need an attitude where you enjoy the trouble shooting process.

You're going to read a lot of forum posts, do a lot of tutorials, and do a little of guess work. Print strings are really great for that. If you want to know wtf is going on just have it print something out on the step you are stuck on.

Also try and keep your blueprints organized: comments, tooltips, categories. Eventually you're going to find some variable isn't working how you planned and you're going to need to look back at everything it's interacting with and figure out what you're overlooking.

I'm serious about getting an artist though. I do not think a single person can make a game. I don't even think 2 is a good number. You need a guy to do programming/blue prints, a guy that makes the models, and a guy that does the evironment. Technically sound is a 4th guy but from what I've seen sound and music is only a couple hundred bucks so that's not a big hurdle.

Also you're going to be more productive if there's a clear chain of command. It's very hard to get everyone to agree on the same vision. That's why big companies have directors to give the final say on things. If you suck at coming up with art direction you're much bettter off relinquishing that task to someone that is actually good.

Like me, I'm not good at art direction. My friend is very good so he is deciding how 95% of the characters look, how the character will swing their sword, etc.
>>
>>385004620
You won't.

Just give up and pick a different hobby, you lazy fucking piece of shit.

Code doesn't fucking magically start falling from the sky and develop the fucking game for you.
>>
>>385004264
>How does that even work?
It's the 'Shooter Game' template, you can't possibly missed that.
>>
Learn to code, it is fun. I enjoy programming but I don't enjoy the making of game related things like assets, animations, graphics, music, etc. There is no reason to not try to program and see if you like it or not. Programming is an essential part of video game development.

Also, I recommend C++ if you are already invested in unreal engine, since that is what it uses.
>>
>>385004091
Meh, I know, but more people are looking for iOS/mobile devs in my area than big data/concurrency/gottagofast at my skill level. Anything with readily accessible GUI libraries is what I'm looking for and Go still is kinda behind on that last I heard.
>>
File: aaaa.png (16KB, 759x715px) Image search: [Google]
aaaa.png
16KB, 759x715px
>>385004737
>Code doesn't fucking magically start falling from the sky and develop the fucking game for you.
Well unless you are using GameMaker or Construct. The capabilities for making simple little games is there, I just wish the actual programs were a bit better.
>>
File: 1496382156250.gif (1MB, 540x270px) Image search: [Google]
1496382156250.gif
1MB, 540x270px
>>385001554
>I can't code
That's going to be your biggest hurdle right there.
There are plenty of online resources to teach yourself how to code, and it's not as hard as it might seem.
I used learncpp.com to teach myself C++. The whole program took me maybe 3-4 months, and now everything else seems easy by comparison.
After that, you'll want to learn a game engine (like Unreal or SFML, depending on what you want to do), and how to do graphics/animations.
Now you know everything you need to know. All you have to do is plan out what you want and put in the time to actually do it.
The biggest tip I can give you is not to cut corners. Put in your time. You'll be glad you did later when you can code competently and know exactly what you're doing as you work on your game.
>>
>>385004720
Feels more just like I'm following along with tutorials but I'm emulating and not really learning. So when I want to go on to do something on my own it's just sort of blank, I know what I want to do, I know most of the logical steps to do it, but I can never find the actual functions to do. I had a lot of fun learning it a while ago but I felt like I spend hours trying to solve the simplest problems and after a while I just kinda stopped. Now I don't want to make the next Star Citizen or anything like that, just make some simple little games for fun where I can focus more on one aspect at a time(like I was trying to build a very simple point and click style framework which would just let me focus on then doing assets). Guess I should just suck it up and get on with it, but eh. I'm just so damn lazy.
>>
>>385005423
google gba gamedev

download devkitpro and gba emulator of choice (aka visualboyadvance)

fire up sublime text/atom/vscode/whatever and start writing gba shit in c

learn to program in c (inline asm optional) with a limited canvas, cpu and memory
>>
>>385005048
would you recommend that site? I would like to learn C in preparation for next semester
>>
>>385005423
If you can't motivate yourself the only other thing is if someone else motivates you. If you're lucky it's your team mate or if your on a real company it's your manager (I talked briefly to guy that managed several real games. Really gave me appreciation for the job, those guys know how to figure out what makes people tick).

The best advice I can give you is to create micro-projects as learning experiences. ie make a platformer that consists of about 60 seconds worth of content. Make a mushroom power up that doubles the player's scale, do night-lighting
>>
>>385005707
But I don't want to learn how to code.
>>
>>385005884
So you don't want to learn how to make video games?
>>
Start with something smaller like GameMaker.
>>
>>385002820
Wow le "kek" my friend. We are TRUE 4channers haha.
>>
>>385005836
Yeah, it's pretty comprehensive, well-structured, and easy to follow.
It has projects to complete at the end of each section, and self-tests every so often to ensure you're comprehending.
It's like going through a text book designed for self-teaching. It also receives updates from time to time.
Worked well for me.
>>
>>385005884
Then your best bet is to get a firm understanding of blueprints first, it as basic as it gets. Then you'll eventually slowly branching out into C++ as you add bits and pieces that couldn't be done with blueprints.
>>
>>385005858
Well I have no where near the knowledge or experience to work in a team. I use game development more just as a time waster and to starve off some boredom and get the creative juices flowing a bit. Like it's not ever been a "career" thing for me to make video games. It's more just that it would be neat to "make a game from scratch" that I can really call my own instead of just making mods.

>>385005939
I do, but not that much would be my honest answer.

>>385006249
I suppose.
>>
Game dev is not for you.
Try to finish high school, instead
>>
>>385006232
Thanks anon, sounds perfect. Hopefully I find the time to look into it today.
>>
>>385006357
If you don't have ambition and passion this isn't for you. Like if you're calling your project a "time waster" than you've already lost.
>>
>>385006676
Well yeah. As I said I don't want to make the next Star Citizen, just simple small little games more for my own enjoyment than anyone elses.

While I totally lack ambition I do think there is some "creative passion" there, but I do not have much of a passion or patience for learning these days but rather just creating. Like I can spend 300 hours making a simple mod for Morrowind that only 30 people will download and have a grand old time and feel satisfied with.

To be honest I think something like carpentry or sculpting where I can more learn by doing would suit me better, but that requires cash and space that I don't got.
>>
>>385007167
>carpentry or sculpting
Have you thought of learning zBrush instead? You don't need a strong understanding of art to use it but mastering the software could easily help you in getting into a game company later on.
>>
get construct classic. one of my favorite indie platformers been made on that. 400 hours and counting
>>
>>385007853
I don't really want to work at a game company though.

But it's more just that these days I have become very impatient when it comes to learning new software which is why I think a more physical creative outlet would suit me better.
Ah to be young again, when spending countless hours learning flash, Photoshop, 3ds max and all that other crap was pure bliss.
>>
>>385008187
>>385007167
You don't need to work on a company to be part of a team. You just need some sort of talent to offer the team and a willingness to have a joint artistic vision. Than it's just a matter of negotiating the terms.

My recommendation is this. Pick either character or environmental art and specialize.
>>
>>385008654
I don't really want to be part of a team either.
>>
>>385008187
>more physical creative outlet would suit me better.
A couple of my clay sculpturer bros got higher paying jobs just by learning zBrush. Just saying.
>>
>>385008818
Neat. But as I've said. Money is not really much of a object for me when it comes to creative stuff.

I'm talking more about it as a hobby.
>>
>>385008740
Have you ever held a single job in your life??
>>
>>385008740
See what I said about team sizes.
Your options
-work in a team
-be a polymath and just naturally learn everything fast with your insane skills
-have a crazy good work ethic and work nonstop for 6 years, doing every job yourself
-make something with basically no graphics
-pay for all the graphics/sound out of your own pocket
>>
>>385008947
Yes, why?

Having a hobby where you have strict personal commitments and that is more like a second job sounds kinda annoying to me to be honest.
Probably why I never cared much for MMO's.
>>
Just learn functional programming, everything else will become progressively more worthless as effort efficiency becomes more important than resource efficiency.

I know it's a religion
>>
>>385009132
>make something with basically no graphics
That has been my go to thing. That said I can do the graphics myself to a certain degree(at least for the types of projects I want to do), that's never really been a big problem, it's more the programming aspect that has stopped me.
>>
There is nothing wrong with using blueprints. You can get a lot done with them. Though it does not show how the backend of programming works. If you didn't know any coding languages before getting into blueprints then I suggest you stop and learn the gist of something like Java or C++ (since Unreal uses C++). Then you'll have a better understanding of how things actually work instead of saying "well this works when I connect x to y I don't know how but it does so I'm going to continue without learning anything."
>>
>>385008187
If that's your mindset then its safe to assume that you won't finish your game even after 2 years and at that point you'll gave up and move on to other hobbies. Making games is almost like making short films, it requires a whole lot of commitments and sacrifices.

Do you want to waste 2 years of your life? Just start learning carpentry or whatever.
>>
>>385009838
>Do you want to waste 2 years of your life?
Sure. I have no problem with that.
>>
>>385006000
This.
>>
Unreal or Unity?
>>
>>385010775
Unreal if you want a more complete package and a well tuned engine. Unity if you want more documentation, copy pasting, and cash shop focus.
>>
>>385010775
Unreal, you get so many more tools and features "out of the box" without having to use outside programs or assests.
Thread posts: 70
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.