[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

More often than not, the "difficulty" of most games

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 3

File: DARKSOUL_facebook_mini.jpg (220KB, 1200x650px) Image search: [Google]
DARKSOUL_facebook_mini.jpg
220KB, 1200x650px
More often than not, the "difficulty" of most games boils down to obstacles which are designed to be inherently unfair, such as enemies that sponge damage, or solutions to puzzles that are hidden in counter-intuitive locations. Not all difficulty is equal. True difficulty should be based on reflexes and your ability to plan an effective strategy, such as that found in a game like Quake. A game that relies on the purposeful implementation of frustrating systems that simply tests your ability to put up with them is not difficulty, it's bad design. Pic related is a great example of this. Your success, especially in boss fights, is only about 25% actual strategy, the rest is dumb luck. The only point at which the game becomes 100% strategy is when you have spent ludicrous amounts of time memorizing the most minor details just to progress past a single obstacle, only to do it all over again for the next. This begs the question, why do you force yourself to play through these kind of games?
>>
File: 1478236398083.jpg (53KB, 500x365px) Image search: [Google]
1478236398083.jpg
53KB, 500x365px
because it's fun
>>
>>385001531
>because it's fun
See, that's why I used to think. As a kid, I would put up with poorly designed games that forced me to replay levels over and over just to beat them, but as I got older I realized that I was spending the majority of the time not having fun just so I could enjoy a single fleeting moment where I felt a sense of achievement and reward. I just can't do that anymore.
>>
File: stop hopeland.jpg (4KB, 300x57px) Image search: [Google]
stop hopeland.jpg
4KB, 300x57px
>>385001447
>More often than not, the "difficulty" of most games boils down to obstacles which are designed to be inherently unfair, such as enemies
Huh?
>>
>>385001659
>>More often than not, the "difficulty" of most games boils down to obstacles which are designed to be inherently unfair, such as enemies
What exactly are you having trouble understanding? Did you not read the rest of the sentence? Deliberately designing a game around enemies that simply absorb ludicrous amounts of damage instead of requiring skill to kill them is just bad design.
Thread posts: 5
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.