[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why are so many programmers willing to make free (as in freedom)

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 10

File: stallman.jpg (124KB, 480x320px) Image search: [Google]
stallman.jpg
124KB, 480x320px
Why are so many programmers willing to make free (as in freedom) games, but very few talented artists and musucians are willing to release free (as in freedom) GNU GPLv3 assets?
>>
Freedom ain't free, Dick.
>>
there is an unholy amount of royalty free music out there. as for your autistic /g/ bullshit, artists and musicians never have a reason to learn about gpl in the first place
>>
>>384991585
Software is something you always have to support and improve upon later. Most art is served as is and throw-away.

Though musicians probably do release music for free in order to gain visibility and sell tickets to concerts.
>>
Because GPL is for software, and there are legitimate reasons for it to be free and open source, whereas for music and art it just harms the creator in most ways.
Even Stallman puts most of his work under the CC, and that license still gives copyright to the creator of the work, a stance which he wouldn't agree with if it was for software.
>>
>>384991585
You can program on a toaster you bought for $5 at a garage sale. You need actual money to make any decent music and art costs more to make the higher quality it is.
>>
>>384995697
That is complete nonsense.
>>
File: 1493173804449.jpg (12KB, 475x375px) Image search: [Google]
1493173804449.jpg
12KB, 475x375px
>>384991747
/thread

>>384995697
And you can play music on the plastic harmonica you picked up for even less. All you need for art is a piece of paper (you can get a blank refill book for 50 cents) and a few dots of paint or just a pen.

You are a tremendous tard.
>>
>>384996697
>And you can play music on the plastic harmonica you picked up for even less. All you need for art is a piece of paper (you can get a blank refill book for 50 cents) and a few dots of paint or just a pen.

None of that will create pieces of work worthy of talented artists. That cheap piece of paper is going to look like shit when you have to digitally scan it and recording a plastic harmonica to not sound like shit is harder than it seems.
>>
>>384991585
Because programmers already make money at their day jobs
>>
>>384996875
Do you seriously think you can engineer something worthwhile in notepad on a garbage PC?

That cheap piece of paper with some paint splashed on might get purchased by someone for a bajillionga dollars. That harmonica solo might be amazing.
>>
>>384997037
and most of them are paid by their employer to work on the open source code.
>>
>>384997048
>Do you seriously think you can engineer something worthwhile in notepad on a garbage PC?

You can, easily.
>>
File: Richard-Stallman-4.jpg (187KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
Richard-Stallman-4.jpg
187KB, 960x720px
>>384997048
>Do you seriously think you can engineer something worthwhile in notepad on a garbage PC?

Yes you can and as proof Stallman uses a memepad. A PC equivalent is extremely cheap at a flea market.

https://stallman.org/stallman-computing.html
>>
Gnu GPLv3 is communist shit.
Even LGPL is barely tolerable.

MIT is the best.
>>
>>384991585
programmers have decent knowledge base, not the humanitites mumbo-jumbo. guess which one is certain to put food on your table and make you have a lot of spare time if you wish to do something you feel like doing for free.
>>
>>384997319
I'm all for any license that implores users to share the source code, but GPL 2 is my go-to for my projects.
>>
>>384997228
No, your shitty desktop applet doesn't count, /g/aylord.

>>384997296
You're telling me he's making groundbreaking software on his craptop with Emacs? If he is, then he's naturally talented (which he probably is).

A musical genius can play the drums with a bunch of empty paint buckets. You know, the ones that get viral on Youtube?
>>
>>384997296
>>384997809

>Stallman
>still programming

He's pretty much just a spokesperson for the FSM these days. Granted, he's done more than his fair share of computing contributions with GCC and Emacs.

While you are correct in that you can get just about any computer in this day and age and write productive software for it, for gaming development, you're probably going to need something a tad bit beefier than an old IBM-pad just to do debugging and testing on various systems. Dorf Fortress is a great example of a dev-only game, but for larger worlds, you're going to need a ridiculous set-up just to keep the game above 1 FPS update.
>>
GPLv3 isn't intended for art assets. A more applicable license would be the Free Art License.
>>
>>384991585
Mostly because foss open souurce stuff IS FUCKING SHIT!
LINUX IS A FLAMING GARBAGE PILE THAT HAS BEEN ROTTING IN THE SUN FOR WHO KNOWS HOW MANY YEARS
THE BEST "AUTHORS" IN THE COMMUNITY CAN BARELY SLAP TOGETHER SOMETHING THAT DOESN'T MAKE YOU WANT TO TEAR YOUR EYES OUT RIGHT THERE AND THEN
THE COMMUNITY IS ALSO THE EQUIVALENT OF A RADIOACTIVE CHEMICAL WASTE DISPOSAL SITE HANDLED BY THE MOST LAZY SLEAZEBAG IN THE PLANET,
>HURR DURR MUH DISTRO IS BETTER THAN YOURS HURR DURR, HURR DURR YOU MEEN, HERE I MAKE MY STUFF NOT WORK WITH YOUR DISTRO ANYMORE, HURR HERE I MAKE THIS INCOMPATIBLE
LINUS TORAWLD SHOULD DRINK A GALLON OF BLEACH AND STALLMAN JUMP OFF THE GRAND CANYON WITHOUT A PARACHUTE
>>
>>384998657
>being this mad you're incapable of learning a new system
android uses linux, the internet basically runs on linux, the worlds fastest super computers run linux, it dominates servers and basically every computing market that isn't the desktop/laptop. have a (you)
>>
>>384998943
Yeah it works when you have A WHOLE DEDICATED SUPPORT TEAM BUT HAVING USED LINUX I'M 100% SURE THE SUPPORT TEAM, WHEN IT EXISTS, IS INDISTINGUISHABLE FROM A BUNCH OF VODOO WITCH DOCTORS IN TRIBAL GEAR, TIKI MASK AND SWINGING DICK

KILL YOURSELF FA/G/G/OT
>>
>>384999128
FUCKING CAPTCHA ATE MY IMAGE
>>
>>384997809
>Empty paint buckets
And fags like you will complain how awful it sounds in game.
>>
>>384999128
I think you're trying to imply that using linux is somehow hard. It has a learning curve, but so did windows back when you were a wee shitstain. Regardless, the same arguments can be made for support for windows, assuming that's what you use. Both systems have their positives and negatives, but your complete and utter dismissal of linux simply because you're inept at learning is childish at best.
>>
>>384999350
>hurr durr windows spies on you
One: the system is FREE, since people don't run on FREE and *gasp* *shock* require stuff like food, water, shelter, medical services, etc to live and those things tend to be exchanged for something, follows that they somehow need to provide their service (windows 10) in exchange for something that they can then exchange for food and shit.
But you are a fsf-tier commie tard, i hardly believe you have the mental faculties to understand that.

Also, your so-beloved commie government that you wish existed would push for the spying 500 times harder.
>>
>>384999128
>not the same for windows
Except they dress better and they don't even try to fix anything.
>>
>>384999659
>free
https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/store/d/Windows-10-Home/D76QX4BZNWK4/1NT3
>inb4 the disability workaround
In addition, when did I once say "windows is awful and spies on you and i would never use it. also everything should be free and communism rules". You're making large leaps in logic just to accuse me of stuff i didn't say. the image I posted was more for the other things wrong with windows 10, there are plenty of them even without the spying. It was to reiterate that windows, like linux, has positives and negatives. Your dismissal of linux in its entirety, and your quick jumping to call me a communist, makes me certain you're just false flagging and shitposting at this point.
>>
>>384999843
>hurr somebody calls out my piece of shit OS for the piece of shit that it is
>this means he's a falseflagger
Gas yourself
>>
>>384999949
you're (assuming you're the anon I've been replying to) not even making coherent counter arguments. You're bashing a system with no basis, dismissing it entirely, calling me a communist, and generally just acting like windows/microsoft can do no wrong.
I noticed how you got mad about the false flagging part, but not the shitposting part. that's telling
>>
Doesn't Win10 have a business version with no telemetry? Couldn't you just shell out the dosh for that version?
>>
>>385000104
Where did i say microsoft can do no wrong?
Microsoft has it's problems, true.
BUT LINUX IS A INEXCUSABLE FUCK OF A OPERATIVE SYSTEM THAT REQUIRES SOMEBODY TRAINED FOR A GORILLION YEARS (THAT OR MULTIPLE BRICKED COMPUTERS AND SUBSEQUENTS REINSTALLS TO UNDERSTAND HOW SHIT WORKS BECAUSE THERE IS NEARLY ZERO DOCUMENTATION) IN ORDER TO JUST OPERATE IT AT HALF CAPACITY
>>
>>384999659
>the system is FREE
No, it's not. I can't get a free Windows license through legal methods. Period.
>>
>>385000156
there's honestly, seriously, literally, no reason to switch. w10 offers nothing new besides bandaids over decade old mistakes, and frankly i wouldn't trust the system to begin with since it was pushed upon users like malware. So while one could fork over the $300 or whatever, the benefits aren't worth it. but that's just like, my opinion, man.
>>385000251
pic related. the crux of your issue is you refuse to learn, that is all. And just because you refuse to look up documentation doesn't mean it doesn't exist
>>
>>385000251
>being this much of a brainlet
Entire distros were made to for computer illiterate fucks like you
>>
>>385000251
no
>>
>>385000156
Windows 10 Enterprise and Education are only available as part of volume licensing agreements. You need a somewhat large minimum number of computers to even qualify. Additionally, you must be running a business or similar.

Lowest entrypoint is the Open License program
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/Licensing/licensing-programs/open-license.aspx
>With an initial purchase of five or more licenses, you can acquire products as you need them over the term of your agreement.
>In addition to options for commercial businesses, Microsoft also offers Open programs for the following industries:
>* Government organizations
>* Health organizations
>* Educational institutions
>* Qualifying 501(c)(3) nonprofit organizations
>* Multinational organizations
>>
>>384991585
because asset flipping
>>
>>385000396
>>385000385
>hurr you're underage
Great retort.
Call me when you can run games or use it for something else than ricing your desktop.
Or what about a image editor that doesn't suck dicks for crack money? Can you do that? SPOILER the answer is "no"
>>
>>385000613
so why would you spend your days posting this bs? what do you get out of it dude?
>>
>>385000613
>games on linux
http://store.steampowered.com/linux
Calling it now, those goalposts are going to be in china by the time you're done replying with how much you're going to move them.
>image editor
how often do you need to edit images?
seriously. Also, photoshop 6 works on linux through wine.
>inb4 WINE doesn't count
>>
>>385000803
Laughing at lincucks like you trying desperately to defend your garbage OS and community and failing
>>
>>385000872
>Also, photoshop 6 works on linux through wine.
>i need to use a windows emulator to be able to use a program worth a damn
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA
So.. this............... is ............ the power of............................ linux
>>
>>385000910
wow ebin
>>
>>385000979
Wine Is Not an Emulator
>>
>>385000979
damn, you got me there anon. you really proved to me you had a point to make.
>windows actually needs development environments to do software development
So.. this............... is ............ the power of............................ windows
i'm done with this thread. enjoy your """"victory""""
>>
>>385001065
>resorts to recursive memes
It's used to run windows programs on l00nix, it's a emulator.
What do you call a program that runs the original Super Mario Bros on PC? A emulator.
Same exact thing
>>
>>385000574
Well that's pretty fucked up. I could almost accept it if they said "Here, 'free' version with spyware, or unfucked version for $50k/yr" or something like that, but there's no excuse to not even offer individuals the option.
>>
>>385001237
You're ignoring the fundamental concept that humans are not people. Corporations are.
Thread posts: 50
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.