[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Abyss is one of the most discussed Tales games on /v/ >All

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 13

File: Luke_Status_(Long_Hair).jpg (28KB, 318x500px) Image search: [Google]
Luke_Status_(Long_Hair).jpg
28KB, 318x500px
>Abyss is one of the most discussed Tales games on /v/
>All right I guess I'll try it out
>The combat system is great
>The music is great
>The story is one of the few Tales games that actually has effort put into it
>The party members are great, I enjoyed everybody and I think my least favorite was Tear but that was just because she was so tame and boring compared to the rest
>There's a lot of content to the game too if you care about extra side stuff

Yo what the fuck, how can anyone dislike this game?
>>
>>384943330
the fucking tales of fan base have the expectations of a fucking food critic. everything must be perfect and superior to the last game.
>>
>>384943330

I don't know. The first tales games I played were the original Symphonia and Phantansia. After those games, I discovered tales of the Abyss and I absolutely adored it : especially since although the story follows the same pattern, it goes deeper into character progression, unlike other tales games. It's probably my favourite one, along with Vesperia, though I only watched a LP of Vesperia and never played it.
>>
>>384943330
its a good game that dose what it sets out to do (kind of) but it dose have some flaws. like the third act you spent going back and forth different location you already been too,
>>
>>384943330
I like to casts like Abyss "functional dysfunction." Complete assholes who really should never interact with each other, somehow work together and make miracles. The people who hate TotA are likely the same people who find It's Always Sunny is too cringy to be entertaining.
>>
File: I wanna die.jpg (70KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
I wanna die.jpg
70KB, 1280x720px
>mfw have Vesperia for 360 with 3 controllers but no one else to play with
It really sucks, I never even came close to beating it.
>>
>>384943330
The combat system is pretty ass dude. You're restricted to Base>Arcane for most of the game, there's no OTG options when a ton of artes knockdown, and the actually cool part (FoF canceling) was unintended.
>>
It's my favorite Tales too but I can see why people don't like it.
>element field is kind of a lame central combat gimmick
>horrible pacing issues in the second half
>characters actually have somewhat realistic flaws, not as instantly likable as the usual anime caricatures
>>
>>384944693
i was lucky to have brothers who likes tales. i feel bad for people who play solo. :(
>>
>>384943529
This.
Tales of fanbase is shit.
Bandai knows it that is why they just keep making mobile games to slowly wring all the money out of the bastards
They'll pay thousands of dollars for a shitty drawing of thier favourite character.
>>
>>384944307
i wish Vesperia had characters had more flaws to them besides that i think Vesperia is slightly better.

>inb4 Vesperia haters roast me for having different opinions.
>>
>>384943330
I'm convinced there is just a dedicated autist who shitposts Abyss in every Tales thread on /v/. It has hands down the best story in a Tales game by a huge margin, and the cast is great.
>>
File: 1426251544369.png (220KB, 400x384px) Image search: [Google]
1426251544369.png
220KB, 400x384px
should i play abyss without my brothers. we never can balance work and playing this game.

pic unrelated
>>
File: 1500232832377.png (334KB, 357x657px) Image search: [Google]
1500232832377.png
334KB, 357x657px
>>384944693
All my friends hate the Tales games. I've even got one who I tried to play with and he just skipped all the skits. I wish I had friends who shared my taste for shitty JRPGs so I could have fun.
>>
>>384944693
>played through symphonia several times, abyss, vesperia and legendia with my older brother.
Tales games are so much better when you play with someone.
>>
Reminder that bullying Luke was an absolutely justified method of making an actual human being out of him.
>>
>>384946275
find someone to play symphonia with someone on dolphin,it was great.
>>
>>384943330
>play Symphonia, Phantasia and Vesperia beforehand
>all had alright, but cookie-cutter stories and characters with a scant few moments that were a little deeper
>play Abyss
>I find myself so engrossed with the game's theme I can't help but feel more and more awful for the situation of Luke and Asch as the game goes on
You know how Tales games each have that stupid-sounding definition that clarifies its theme, such as Graces' "rpg about finding the strenght to protect"? Abyss' "rpg about the meaning of birth" is fucking earned.
>>
File: Tales_of_Xillia_Cover.png (111KB, 250x288px) Image search: [Google]
Tales_of_Xillia_Cover.png
111KB, 250x288px
Abyss has some issues that you notice a second or third time playing, such as little flaws that bother you a little bit. Such as how the party treats Arietta like garbage because she's the bad guy or Jade's entire backstory but the game is still very good, though the combat can be completely trivialized by abusing Free Run. I'm glad you enjoyed Abyss OP, if you want to play some more good Tales games I recommend you play Vesperia too(PS3 version, if you're willing to mod a Japanese PS3 for the translation patch and buy a JP copy of the game too) and maybe Symphonia(not the sequel, if you really care about the sequel just look up a playthrough on Youtube or some shit, its a very, very bad sequel) and the older 2D Tales games like Phantasia, Destiny and its sequel and Eternia.

The other Tales games beyond those have... Some more noticeable flaws in both/either story and gameplay. People say that Berseria is on par with Abyss/Vesperia but I don't really agree and then you have games like Graces f and Xillia+Xillia 2, which have good combat and some good characters but the story for those games is pretty bad and don't get me started on Zestiria...
>>
File: gamespot is retarded.png (65KB, 1414x394px) Image search: [Google]
gamespot is retarded.png
65KB, 1414x394px
>tfw this review actually was accurate but then the numerical score made no sense

What the fuck, the way he describes the game it sounds like a 9.5. Why do they do this?
>>
>>384943330
>taking /v/ seriously
>>
>>384947705
How are skits "overused"?
>>
>>384943330
I liked Vesperia more but only because on a gameplay level, it was Abyss but with more stuff in it and a fuckload of content. Story in Abyss definitely was stronger though and I enjoyed the world building even if it led to more repetitive parts of the game.
>>
I like Tales of the Abyss because it's one of the few Tales of games that doesn't fuck over the protagonist at the end. The ending doesn't suck ass either. I'm looking at you Berseria
>>
>>384948158
Probably the fact that a lot of them cover important lore/plot points that would be better off being a more organic part of the story or a questline or something. I can kind of see what they're getting at but it wouldn't be nearly as big of an issue if the skits were voiced.
>>
>>384943330
I love Tales of the Abyss, Jade a best. I gave Zestiria a shot and it doesn't quite feel the same, but still not bad.
>>
File: 1447272763999.jpg (193KB, 545x576px) Image search: [Google]
1447272763999.jpg
193KB, 545x576px
>suddenly, /v/ loves Tales of the Abyss
FUCKING FINALLY

I've been saying it's the best jrpg for YEARS.
I like it better than Chrono Trigger, Nocturne, Paper Mario, FF6/7 and especially 9 (9 is a bad game), DQ V, Suikoden II, Xenoblade, you name it.
I'm not just namedropping well-loved games for the hell of it (I've beaten all the ones I mentioned), I genuinely think TotA is absolute ludo
>>
>>384948350
>I can kind of see what they're getting at but it wouldn't be nearly as big of an issue if the skits were voiced.
You can blame the localization for that. For whatever reason, they chose not to voice the skits in the english release.
>>
>>384943330
It was my first tales game but this around the time the version that came out for 3ds. So I don't want to put to nostalgia but out of all the localized Tales games Lukes story was the most interesting.
>>
I really hate the combat system and I just can't get any fun out of it.
I just got back to Luke's castle, it's been a few hours and apparently the story barely started?

As for the characters, they aren't very good, Luke is pretty okay but the other characters are pretty shit and have annoying gimmicks (Tear is probably the worst of the bunch). Did they get better after a certain point?

The environments and the music are pretty cool though.
>>
>>384943617
tf when you dont have an xbox for tov either
>>
>>384944307
Abyss is my favorite Takes even when it has that asshole Jade and that piece of shit Anise.
>>
>>384948549
>shit taste detected
just kidding i never even played that shit
>>
>>384949613
jade is the best character you fartlord
>>
Obligatory (spoilers) post before any shitters who didn't understand the story start shitposting
>>
File: asshole.jpg (191KB, 500x700px) Image search: [Google]
asshole.jpg
191KB, 500x700px
>>384949752
>>
>No outfit that restores Luke's hair
I will never not be mad about this
>>
My brothers. Natalia best girl.
>>384949383
The plot and character development is a slow burn. Also about the gameplay remember you don't have to play as Luke and you haven't gotten the full roster yet. You should really try getting past Akzeriuth before calling it quits. And leave the thread, spoilers are imminent.
>>
>>384949804
While I understand the reasons for everyone blaming Luke, I felt that the Akzeriuth problem was pretty much caused by everyone's negligence.
>>
>>384943330
>the music is great
Haha! No.
>>
>>384949957
https://youtu.be/xzrxYAuJTJo?t=294
lol
>>
>>384950176
and skip to 5:30
>>
>>384948835
Too much job because they consider skit as non-important simply it's not part of main story, some of the skits in tales of games may be longer than your average wind-up fanservice character interaction, but this is probably oversight from whoever publishing and localizing the game.
>>
>>384950153
did you not even read what you just responded too?
>>
>>384950441
Or maybe it was due to budgeting reasons because voice acting is not cheap.
>>
File: Self-cantered.jpg (147KB, 500x700px) Image search: [Google]
Self-cantered.jpg
147KB, 500x700px
I fucking love these things.
>>
Jade did nothing wrong.
>>
>>384948549
this
>>
>>384943330
Because the entire cast is shit
Luke gets mind controlled? Oh fuck him he should have talked to us
Anise turns traitor because her parents are being threatened in a completely open church? Oh we forgive you even though people died
Jade could have saved half the bullshit by going 'yep you're a replica and still child'
Lets kill Arietta even though we could probably tell her about Ion and convince her not to kill herself
Van should have won
>>
File: 1498707198784.png (238KB, 600x705px) Image search: [Google]
1498707198784.png
238KB, 600x705px
>tfw nobody talks about the radiant mythology series
>enjoyed the fuck out of the 3 games
>tfw no 4th game on vita or ps4
Killing myself yesterday
>>
>>384951365
I've been meaning to play them at some point but 2 of them being japanese only kinda hurts considering I only have a shitty understanding of the language and the games are supposedly all about the character interactions.
>>
>>384943330
One of the few good ones. It's a shame most of the series sucks.
>>
>>384951365
Yeah, i enjoyed all 3 games on my PSP back then.
1 has bunch issues and battle music kind of sucked.
Personally i liked 2 the most, but 3 has most playable characters and more classes.
>>
>>384943330
How is the.3ds version, can just I play that or is it garbage and should look for the ps2 version?
>>
>>384951632
Yeah. Lots of fun interactions is was sold me the game more than the balls to the walls classes and battles.
>>384951980
Let us not forget the 999 hit spam from pirate class. Shit had some broken combos
>>
>>384943330
Abyss is one of the best Tales games
People who dislike most of the time have shit reasons like Luke being annoying as if it covers up all the other great things the game offers
>>
>>384952002
3DS has 30 fps while PS2 has 60 maybe but 3DS doesn't have as much loading as the PS2 version, though looks a bit shittier too. Doesn't matter much outside of those, if you can't emulate, then might as well grab it on the 3DS.
>>
File: feels.png (256KB, 565x395px) Image search: [Google]
feels.png
256KB, 565x395px
Abyss is the only video game that has successfully make me cry
>>
>>384952658
>maybe
Cool thanks.
Then I'll just get the 3ds version.
>>
File: 1500670695808.png (99KB, 3840x2560px) Image search: [Google]
1500670695808.png
99KB, 3840x2560px
>>384950975

When I was a kid, Jade was my favourite character bar none. I really liked how sadistic he was and how he looked.

>>384949610
Yup :c I don't even have modern consoles, despite wanting to play botw and the likes. Really sucks.
Thread posts: 60
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.