[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Sega and PlayStation were popular in South America >Nintendo

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4

File: nintendo-america-latina.jpg (26KB, 494x326px) Image search: [Google]
nintendo-america-latina.jpg
26KB, 494x326px
>Sega and PlayStation were popular in South America

>Nintendo isn't

Why?
>>
>>384902016
>Nintendo isn't
It was, as much as Sega. The difference being: both had local pirate copies which were pretty much identical, even running original cartridges. Sega adopted their pirate company, officializing them and it still exists, Nintendo didn't, forced them off and decided to import shit.

The Wii had local production and it was a hit.
>>
>>384902016
Thank fuck I hate being in games with those monkeys video games should be banned in third world countries.
>>
SNES was popular in Brazil and Argentina
t.south american slave
>>
>>384902016
TecToy bought the rights to produce the genesis locally so they were cheaper, Playstation 1 and 2 games were easier to pirate then N64 and Gamecube games.
That said, the SNES still was crazy popular and most people I know owned one.
>>
>>384902016
Nintendo stoped investing in Brazil due to lack of interest. Right now, owning a Switch here is illegal due to not being made here and still having not passed some regulations.
>>
>>384902016
everyone i knew as a kid had a Snes, including me

everyone i knew in high school had a ds

i have a 3ds
>>
>>384902016
Brazil had, and still has, completely ridiculous import taxes. A PS3 costs something like $1500 there.

Tectoy manufactured the machines locally, which allowed them to get around the tax and undercut prices by a giant margin. Even if "manufacturing locally" meant getting a full set of units from japan, changing the decals, and reboxing them.
>>
File: 1494611829520[1].jpg (30KB, 369x349px) Image search: [Google]
1494611829520[1].jpg
30KB, 369x349px
>>384902701

What can possibly be illegal with the Switch when you have sopa de macaco?
>>
>>384902701
Stop spreading lies, most stores are selling them, even smaller ones.
>>
Nintendo hate poor people
>>
>>384902701
Literally wrong. You can have a switch, it just costs A FUCK LOAD of money.
>>
>>384902016
Because they have taste
>>
>>384902016

It would help if we had fucking e-shop down here.

I had to pretend to be a leaf, A UCKING LEAF, to buy the Prime Trilogy.
>>
Nintendo doesn't sell hardware at a loss, accordingly their console prices are pretty high. South America's got less buying power, and so generations of this means that they've not got as entrenched a fanbase, because who the fuck can afford their products in their target audience?
>>
>>384902956
>>384903015
https://tecnoblog.net/218288/nintendo-switch-proibido-mercadolivre/
>>
Nintendo was huge here in México in the early 90's then the playstation came and was fucking huge mostly thanks to the piracy
>>
>>384903383
>um site proíbe a venda do console
>OWNING A SWITCH IS ILLEGAL HURR DURR
Puta que pariu em.
>>
>>384902016
The NES and SNES were the hottest shit in Chile but people stopped caring about Nintendo with the N64 and their shitty catalogue.
>>
File: nintendomexico.png (1MB, 1095x499px) Image search: [Google]
nintendomexico.png
1MB, 1095x499px
>>384903536
Nintendo is still popular here in Mexico tho

At least we got E-shop, unlike sudacas
>>
>>384902016
N64 and Gamecube happened, they were expensive and hard to pirate, in a continent where low income and high import tariffs is the norm, so easily pirateable consoles and games are the kings, Nintendo dropping out of Brazil was the nail in the coffin.
The Wii had local production and it sold well, but by this time Playstation had already a solid hold of the consumer base
>>
>>384903703
I now its important but not as before, I think here the most popular console is Xbox then the ps4 and the switch
>>
>>384903894
Xbox is produced locally in Mexico, it's cheaper than other consoles and people here love Gears
>>
>>384902016
prices, microsoft has a strong presence in Mexico so their games/consoles are priced around the same priceas the us (slightly higher) with Nintendo though even though they also have a strong presence, their console prices are way higher and so do most of their games, I can still fnd the vanilla 3ds in some stores being sold for about 250 dollars, a switch in some stores the switch costs almost double than the xbone or ps4
>>
>>384902016
Same as europe

Nintendo were big in NA and Japan in their prime
>>
>>384903860
Pretty much this.
>>
The NES and specially the SNES were fucking popular in Chile, everyone and their mothers thad a super nintendo with DKC and tv shows were giving them away as far as the early 2000's. I know there were people who had a Genesis too, but I never knew one.
Nintendo's popularity went down with the 64 here, it was expensive, with games going over the 100 dollars at the time, so most people who weren't either fanboys or rich jumped to the PS1.
>>
>>384904075
I have met only one person who owned Genesis as a kid, speaking as Scandinavian. Everyone else had NES or even SNES.

However, PS1 was vastly more popular than N64.
>>
>>384905008

Consoles before the PS1 weren't particularly popular in Europe. Shit PAL conversion is probably a major part of that, but with the PS1, games were either properly converted, or they were slow enough to not notice much of a difference.
>>
>>384902016
because nintendo is overpriced shit
>>
This is a lie
>No one remembers Sega
> Ps4 is popular only by fifa
>Nintendo is not popular because its prices are too high
There are popular pc games like Dota, Starcraft, LoL
>>
>>384902016
Sega and PlayStation are more cheaper and popular in South America.
>>
>>384903860
I had my first internship around the time the game cube came out, it would cost me a year's worth of payments to get a GC + 3 games
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.