[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the point of permadeath in Fire Emblem when you only

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

File: 1495306138653.jpg (221KB, 540x622px) Image search: [Google]
1495306138653.jpg
221KB, 540x622px
What's the point of permadeath in Fire Emblem when you only get so few units and lost only a few can fuck you over royally?

In a game like XCOM or Mordheim it works since you have can get units to replace old ones, but there's still the catch that being bad at the game and not having many high level units will set you up for gameover.

This is even emphasized by XCOM where ironman won't let you savescum so you have to make every choice count. Meanwhile in FE you pretty much just soft restart the game anytime someone dies. Which at that point classic should just be 'game over after one unit dies' since that's what most of the playerbase is doing anyway.
>>
Illusion of strategic depth.
>>
What a stupid question. Just don't restart when someone died.

They aren't even similar games. Xcom is a bastard of Fire Emblem at best, and significantly worse than the classics.
>>
>>384897758
>Just don't restart

It's like you only read half of the first sentence.

>They aren't even similar

Exactly. I used XCOM as an example as to how its mechanics work well with permadeath compared to FE.
>>
>>384897190
>What's the point of permadeath in Fire Emblem when you only get so few units and lost only a few can fuck you over royally?
What? Unless you're playing something like FE6, Lunatic Conquest, or FE12, every game gives you more than enough units and there are no critical units in the game that losing can royally fuck you over.

You're typical FE game only lets you use at most 1/3 of the roster.
>>
the point is that you're supposed to restart whenever someone dies

any death is to be treated as a game over

everyone plays that way, even devs play that way

it's not supposed to be like XCOM
>>
>>384898225
But I play my FE games ironman style. What's the point of permadeath if you're just going to restart the moment you lose someone?
>>
>>384898629
adds alternative game over condition

many maps would be easier if you didn't need to protect weak units

ironman is autistic, in FE and every other game ever made
>>
Gaijin use tactical turn based games to emulate skirmishes in a long scale war

Nippon use SRPG as grid based JRPGs
>>
>>384898853
Then why not just make it a game over if someone dies?
Why pretend that you want people to keep playing through it? If it's as you say and the devs play it like some pussyfoot little babies, what's the point of not making it a game over?

>inb4 it gives you a choice
but you just said that that choice is autistic and wrong, so don't use that defense.
>>
>>384899378
because it gives some people the choice

like you

it's autistic as fuck but if .5% of people like it theres no harm
>>
>>384897190
Because unlike other games the units in FE are characters with their own personality and backstories. You're supposed to feel a sense of loss when you lose them.
>>
>>384899676
>You're supposed to feel a sense of loss when you lose them.
Restarting alleviates that loss
>>
>>384899676
Which means nothing when you just restart and move them a square back.
>>
>>384899956
>>384900029
that's the point

you feel connected enough you don't want to lose them

in XCOM soldiers are generic literal whos that you make and replace, any sense of loss is due to the gameplay impact from losing a high-level unit

gameplay-wise, restarting on death makes FE more difficult since it punishes mistakes
>>
>>384897190
It's a holdover mechanic from the old games that they haven't started reconsidering until recently
In FE5 you usually get a unit every map, and many times you get two or three. You are given tons of units that are the shitty version of someone else, and their role in the game is to replace the good version if you fuck up along the way.
>>384899956
If the maps are hard enough and you've nearly won, you have to consider how much you care about shitty unit vs another 2-3 hours of attempting the map.
>>
>>384899956
Yeah, the majority of FE players are going to be like Marth. They want to save everyone even if they have to reset.
>>
File: 1497599578526.jpg (81KB, 624x595px) Image search: [Google]
1497599578526.jpg
81KB, 624x595px
>>384897190
Some games are alright for it and give you an ample supply of units to make up for losses like FE1/11 and FE6, but there are some games that are not so good for this like FE2/15 and FE14C.

The way I often like to play is to only reset if I lost the absolute last unit of a particular type like a pegasus knight or staff using class. If I have another similar unit in back up still, I'll still suck up the loss even if it was an enemy crit. Hell I especially take the enemy crits because that might as well be a randomly issued challenge by the game to not use that character for the rest of the run and works as my encouragement for replayability in some of the games.
>>
>>384897970
Is it really possible to do RD without Jill or Nolan carrying the Downs Brigade?
>>
>>384902338
Jill, yes. I've beaten RD hard without using Jill (much), I dumped all my resources into Edward/Leo because I wanted to use them.
>>
File: 1499843088183.jpg (11KB, 273x431px) Image search: [Google]
1499843088183.jpg
11KB, 273x431px
>>384897190
just capture boss units mate, those are really good and don't require grinding plus you can sacrifice them feeling no remorse as they don't have story relevance.
>>
>>384902851
Seriously? I'm impressed, as I'm not used to Leo ever being able to take a hit, and Edward isn't great for chokepointing due to low def, not enough avo to dodge consistently and wrath.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.