[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

On ps2 image quality, which one is better component or composite

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: PS2.jpg (44KB, 616x347px) Image search: [Google]
PS2.jpg
44KB, 616x347px
On ps2 image quality, which one is better component or composite cable?
>>
>>384882331
Component. The image is transferred through multiple cords that way, meaning less lost data and blurriness.
>>
>>384882635
this might be a retarded question but would it display best with component on a sdtv or an hdtv with 4:3 aspect ratio?
>>
>>384882752
do SDTV's even have component slots?
I have a PS2 (PAL, sadly) on a huge HDTV, games look good already and would look better with component, no doubt about it
>>
>>384882331

neither. emulator with 4x+ upscaling.
>>
>>384882979
also I want to add, get official component cables preferably with golden tips, you'll get the most bang for your buck
made in China dogshit isn't reliable and produces worse image quality
>>
>>384883039
This, PS2 games with a good style look so fucking nice upscalled
It's a shame the emulator still has issues with some games here and there
>>
>>384882752
That goes into subjective opinion territory.

Keep in mind that PS2 games usually render at 480i (~360p) tops, without any sort of AA. That nowadays low-res pic is then stretched to fill the screen on modern screens, which will make any and all flaws in picture more apparent, especially up close.
In some games with more muted colors and darker scenes, OR very cartoony looks, this may not be such an huge problem tho'.

In short, using a good CRT television would be the most authentic and "flaw hiding" way of playing old SD-era games. I have, however, played a lot of PS2 games on my older, 720p only flat screen, and they tend to look OK in my books, partly because there's less up-scaling to be done from 480 -> 720.

Certain PS2 games, like Silent Hill 3 and Okami, also have their dedicated "HD TV" modes, which do magic to how the pixels are drawn on the screen, thus resulting a bit sharper image. Both of these games also allow 60hz even in PAL territories.

>>384882979
Depends on the television.
I've seen and used these oldass early to mid-00s tube televisions with flat glass and tons of connection options.
>>
>>384883102
>>384882752

I've played PS2 (and PS1) games on PS2 with an HD and I prefer the component cables by far over composite. More starp.

However compared to emulator with upscaling it's marginal at best. Emulator allows to upscale PS2 games to HD with quality comparable to HD remakes along with widescreen patches too.

Hell I would rather use an emulator to upscale to HD and then use an adapter to connect to an HD TV, even 1080i tube TV, rather than use the original PS2 console.
>>
>>384882331
Where the hell do I get component cables?
>>
>>384883609
eBay, local game stores
>>
>>384883609
buy ps3 component cables on amazon.
shit should be cheap as fuck.
>>
>>384883456
how much of a huge difference do those cables do for virtual consoles games on wii?
>>
>>384883456
All true, but one lil' thing:
upscaling =/= upconverting.

Emulators can do up-converting, as in render the games at higher res. Upscaling is literally just stretching the image to fill the higher res image area.

That being said, PS2 emulation still sucks ass a great deal, and some people just do want the absolutely most authentic experience possible. And 6th gen consoles look good enough already to not be complete eye rapes on any kind of TV screen; I'd just recommend using the "Movie" image mode if your TV has one. It slightly mutes colors and results less sharp image, which just helps these old games.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.