[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

If Apple is stealing all the components, how come I can buy any

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 135
Thread images: 11

File: switch mini.png (275KB, 1019x398px) Image search: [Google]
switch mini.png
275KB, 1019x398px
If Apple is stealing all the components, how come I can buy any non-Apple smartphone just fine built on the same components and also selling ten times Switch per quarter?
>>
I bet you don't even know what components have shortages.
>>
>>384875561
Are those components specific to only Switch and iPhone 8?
>>
>>384875623
of course, no one else is using them and no one else is producing them
>>
>>384875561
so which components have shortages?
>>
>>384875369
They have standing contracts that are enough to fill demand. Nintendo has contracts for 10 million Switches this year, but that's not nearly enough to keep them in stock.
>>
>>384877662
NAND... which every phone has.
>>
>>384877662
Linear actuators
>>
>>384880178
>Linear actuators are used in machine tools and industrial machinery, in computer peripherals such as disk drives and printers, in valves and dampers, and in many other places where linear motion is required
>>
>>384880448
Ice cube rumble and force touch use those motors to create realistic vibration.
>>
>>384881126
hard drives and printers have similar motors, i dont see any shortages there
>>
>>384881987
Ow wow cool didn't realize you were a wholesale component vendor
>>
>>384875369
>smaller form factor
>compatible with dock
hahaha
>>
>>384882089
>companies producing rumbles specialize only in one type of a rumble
>>
>>384882095
what about it? "compatible with dock" just means having a USB-C port at the bottom. That's it.
>>
>>384882095
they din say which dock now did they, eh anon
>>
>>384882246
It also have to FIT IN the dock, retard. If it's smaller and you can't split the joy cons, the buttons on the sides will get in the way.
>>
>>384879893
there are hundreds of different types of NAND chips. the switch and iphone just happen to use the same one
>>
>>384881987
Ill humor your dumb ass.

See the people who make those have longstanding contracts and shit knowing full well that they will always have a need for them to be able to continually make their current products and the for whatever future products them make or improve upon.

Now the Nintendo switch was in development for a while and then when the design was finalized Nintendo then had to get the stuff needed to make it. Meaning that while others have like year and decade long contracts and what not. Nintendo had to squeeze itself in there with all the people competing for similar shit. The shortages of a few things had already been a problem, due supposedly to some hoarding by a specific company whose name escapes me, and to that that while Nintendo did believe in the switch they wanted to avoid producing more stock than would stay on shelves for way to long.
So its really one thing being a problem but actually a more nuanced thing with blame being able to spread around to more than just one person place or thing.

Oh and since there is a shortage and Nintendo needing not as many as lets say phone manufacturers. Then they are at times outbid or sold by other corporations that are willing to pay more than Nintendo for the parts.
>>
>>384881987
who cares if they are similar? we are talking about the specific motors that the switch uses.

a motor in a standard hard disk isnt going to fit in a joycon or an iphone
>>
File: 41xBWUnHaXL.jpg (28KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
41xBWUnHaXL.jpg
28KB, 500x500px
>>384882414
Honestly that's a good thing. It's a horrible dock that damages your system. I'm sure their next hardware revision will come with a vastly superior compact dock, much like some of the ones you already see from 3rd party manufacturers.

Alternatively you could simply break off the front part of the current dock (instead of waiting for the dock to break your screen). It's LITERALLY a useless piece of plastic. And the mini-switch would fit just fine regardless of button positioning
>>
>>384882656
they could produce identical ones, they are not patented, just order enough and someone will make them, its not hard for a company that sits in this business
>>
>>384882743
how does the dock damage your system?

ive had a switch since launch, am I in danger?
>>
>>384882743
>goalpost moving
>lying and parroting lies you read on /v/
Last (you) from me
>>
>>384882821
A few of the docks are bent likely damaged during shipping.
Rare cases and im sure he gets all his info from crobcat videos.
>>
File: f0ac5a65fa35fb982e8b7cbd431a70aa.jpg (134KB, 736x1292px) Image search: [Google]
f0ac5a65fa35fb982e8b7cbd431a70aa.jpg
134KB, 736x1292px
There are no shortages in the sense that there are no components. The "shortage" is due to Nintendo intentionally keeping stock just below demand to give off the impression of huge demand. It also makes them look less pathetic being outsold by PS4 by almost 100k units a month in NA.
>>
>>384875369

>right
what should have been
>left
what we got
>>
>>384882786
nintendo isnt in the business of making linear actuators. I dont think they can just 'make them'.

it would take a few months to find a vendor that could make a similar part, get some samples, test them to make sure they are up to standards, and finally get enough for mass production.

by that time apple will be slowing down production (iphone 8 will likely launch in september) and the shortages will stop.
>>
>>384882949
ebin
>>
>>384882821
The dock is made of cheap plastic and offers no protection for the Switch's screen (which is also made of plastic). Whenever you insert it and take it out the two scrape with eachother. Over time (or suddenly) you'll get a scratched screen.
People usually have a DYI solution like putting a cloth between the front part of the dock and the Switch, because Nintendo is fucking stupid and didn't think about such problems.

But that's in the past, now we all know how overpriced and poorly designed the official dock is. With all the amazing designs we see from 3rd parties I'm SURE Nintendo will also revise it somewhere down the line.
>>
>>384883048
my dock has rubber stoppers between the switch screen and the front.

is this not the case with all?
>>
>>384883135
Yeah. He's bullshitting.
>>
>>384882914
It's not a bent dock, it's literally that the edges of the dock are right against the screen of the system with only enough space for cloth or something to fit between. If you don't have it there, it's an absolute inevitability that eventually you're gonna barely tilt your switch forward and scrape it against the dock's edge causing a nice big gash across the front.

Then again the screen's made of fucking plastic so breathing on it scratches and marks it up anyway.
>>
>>384882969
its almost half year with this shortage bullshit, i dont see apple slowing down. they could order them at samsung, wd or any other company in 2016, they would have all the parts they need
>>
File: cracked-screen_1024[1].jpg (93KB, 1024x415px) Image search: [Google]
cracked-screen_1024[1].jpg
93KB, 1024x415px
>>384883218
Yeah, a glass screen would be much better lmao
>b-but if you drop it, it's your fault for not paying attention
and if you scratch the Switch's screen it isn't? I've had mine since march and it doesn't have any scratch on it.
>>
>>384883397
I can't carry my switch around with me because of the plastic screen meaning I would need to have it's own case to protect it, when it's already fucking massive. I don't want to lug around a god damned backpack to play my switch, that's incredibly not portable.

And yes, drops are significantly more rare. A good example is the s7 active. From 2 or 3 years ago. It was one of the only phones i've seen since 2012 with a plastic screen, and it was nearly unusable after 6 months of being in my pocket with stuff as soft as lint scratching the screen. My dock is getting there too. there's literally no excuse for plastic with shit like gorilla glass 5 on the market, and so incredibly cheap.
>>
File: e0028-4[1].jpg (59KB, 605x605px) Image search: [Google]
e0028-4[1].jpg
59KB, 605x605px
>>384883617
OwO what's this? hint: something that 90% of smartphone users own, glass screen or not.
>>
>>384883754
>90%
i'd love to see a source on that. I see more people without any sort of case or even backing when I go out. I'd say 99.99999% obviously, if we're just going on personal experience.
>>
>>384875369
I hope shortage means a push-back of their online fee for another year or two.
>>
>>384883754
>>384883903
Everyone at my workplace has a case. It wasn't this way about 5+ years ago, but now places like T-mobile and Sprint give you a free case when you buy a phone.

With how expensive phones are, and the urge to avoid paying for insurance, the smart thing is to pay $15-20 for a simple case. I'm not sure why anyone would forgo using one.
>>
>>384884360
You're also missing applying a tempered glass. Additional protection shouldn't be shunned.
>>
>>384882949
>Nintendo, the biggest kikes around are intentionally holding out on billions of dollars

Unlikely
>>
>>384875369
There's a particular brand and type of NAND chip shortages, and Nintendo doesn't want to change them for a shittier version. If anything, you should be glad they don't wanna exchange quality for quantity. I bet you'd be the first to bitch about Switch if they did go for a different brand and it'd turn out these NANDs were slower.
>>
>>384885165
ps4 and xbone use slower version and no one complain about nand, could it be that nand doesnt matter? no that would make your entire post invalid
>>
>>384885334
From what I've heard, which might be wrong, it's because nintendo won't let you move saves around and so the nand that your saves are on has to be high quality.
>>
>>384885485
better quality for save files? nintendo is fucking retarded
>>
>>384885334
>nand
>doesn't matter

the most retarded thing I've seen all day
>>
Because you're fucking retarded and don't realize that all the companies making hardware that sells more in a year than consoles do in a generation have a bigger financial incentive to bid higher.
>>
>>384885719
tell me how this particular nand is better than any other available nands? oh wait you cant
>>
>>384885776
>start building switches with faster nand
>suddenly start using a slower one
>people get pissed they're paying the same for a slower piece of hardware

you're retarded
>>
>>384883048
the part that the display touches is rubber, the plastic the screen is made out of is harder than rubber, debris inside the dock is the only thing that can be scratching the display.
>>
>>384885868
no no no delete this
>>
>>384885868
you dont need super fast nand for loading save files you retard, listen to your pal, delete this because you look stupid
>>
>>384885954
>you dont need super fast nand

You realise nand is more than save files right? And even if it was, having a system that took longer to save or load up saves for the same price as one that would be faster, is a scummy thing to do. Samsung did a similar thing a few years back by using two different CPU variations and there was a huge backlash
>>
cause smartphone companies have 10 times the amount of money as Nintendo and can afford to outpay Apple for parts. Nintendo cant. use ur fucking head u idiot.
>>
>>384882542
There is a Nand shortage across every type of chip
That's why SD cards recently jumped to insane prices.
>>
>>384879893
why are NAND components so good again? My prof mentioned something about it, but I can't really remember
>>
>>384886236
Everything on the system is saved onto the NAND, it's literally the memory of the system
>>
>>384886061
loading saves takes .0000001, you would never notice it, you cant notice it even on smartphones saving saves on shit sd cards, its not the same as replacing 4 core cpu with 2 cores, nand is not that important, especiality when rest of the switch's hardware is pure shit
>>
>>384885634
>better quality for save files?

UM... yes?
>>
>>384886313
You would never notice it, just like the samsung phones being 0.00001% faster. But there was still a backlash. A backlash Nintendo wouldn't want. Learn how the industry and hardware works before you post.

>nand is not that important
Yeah, the internal storage of a system isn't important. Retard.
>>
>>384886275
thanks, good to know
>>
>>384886384
nand wont make you system run faster if switch's cpu is shit, learn electronics before you post your shit opinion
>>
>>384886650
>nand wont make you system run faster

But it literally will you retard. The OS is installed onto it. If you have slower NAND, guess what, it runs slower. Learn read/write speeds. I'm not sure why you're bring the CPU into a storage discussion. You clearly don't know shit about any of this
>>
If I had a guess why Nintendo aren't changing Nand is because they would need to take time to reengineer part of the Switch for an issue that is only temporary that may be fixed by the time that they've gotten the new variation out of production, even though I think the nand chip sits on a separate board that is built to be changeable in a way that Nintendo could produce a 64GB version without having to do a significant revision of the system.
>>
>>384886729
just like games run faster because because they are installed on ssd, 100 more fps, you are that retarded
>>
>>384886313
It's less about loading saves and more about making sure that you don't try to play a game after not playing for a few months and finding your save file corrupted
Nintendo appear to be pretty paranoid about piracy which might be one reason they did it this way, but it would be easily fixed by just letting people have cloud storage or something
>>
>>384886819
hot damn you actually are retarded
>>
>>384886819
Lmao you have the reading comprehension of a child. Why do you think people load their OS and large software onto a seperate SSD. Because it shortens load times and makes the system more responsive.

>>384886774
The Switch code is built around specific parts, so swapping out the NAND would require it to be rewritten which I doubt is cost effective for Nintendo
>>
>>384886114
Nah, there are some pretty cheap chink phonemakers out there that still have no issues being in stock.

Nintendo isn't small. Just very cheap.
>>
>>384886236
You can construct all the other gates using only NAND gates, so you don't have to waste money buying different types of gates.
>>
>>384886947
The Switch isn't built around parts that specific, obviously for the processor and GPU this is true but not the storage.
>>
>>384887173
It is, someone tried to replace the nand because everyone thought it'd be easily replacable but the console shits out on bootup
>>
>>384887235
I'm going to need a source on this, but nand shouldn't be that easily replaceable.
>>
>>384887235
>try to replace nand with system with a nand without system
>wonders why system cant boot
really makes you think
>>
File: Untitled.png (109KB, 1465x465px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
109KB, 1465x465px
>>384887274
Each Switches code is uniquely built around it's specific NAND unit, a lot like how the 3DS can't bootup with another consoles data. Nintendo think this is standard for some reason
>>
>>384887526
That's not the same thing you fucking retard.
>>
>>384887632
>it's not the same thing because reasons
>>
>>384875369
this thread feels like 1-2 posters knowing their shit, and everyone else talking out of their ass.
>>
I love when people pretend to know things and argue with each other about things they know nothing about
>>
>>384887752
my dad works at nintendo, he told me that shortages are real
>>
>>384887752
Welcome to 4chan friend
>>
>>384887680
Well no it isn't the same thing, you're trying to say that replacing the Nand at the factory with another brand is completely impossible, whereas the image you posted only hints at maybe something like a key that checks that the nand and the hardware were built or initially set up together.
>>
>>384887752
It's more like this
>>
>>384886236
So there are several gates which make a 1 out of a 1 or 1, or 1 or 0, etc. But a NAND gate nigga, A NAND GATE SAYS NAW. FUCK YOUR BOOLEAN LOGIC. I DO EVERYTHING.
>>
>>384887075
You really think the cheap chink phonemakers are using the same type of NAND that Nintendo, Apple and Samsung use?
>>
>>384875369
>literally a smaller switch that has a d-pad, is useless to stand, has joycons permanently engraved while somehow still having compatibility with them, and supposedly 100$ cheaper despite being the same damn thing as the original
>>
>>384883048
can't you just buy one of those screen protectors that phones have, i'm sure that they make them for the switch and that problem goes away? i'm not saying that it isn't bad design from jewtendo but investing a few quid to stop scratches seems like a smart move
>>
>>384888182
You have no idea what the fuck you're talking about. There are high-end chink phones aswell.
>>
>>384888286
>he thinks that guy actually has a Switch
lel
>>
>>384888328
The user was specifically talking about the cheap chink phonemakers having stock.
>>
>>384888380
Cheap chink phone makers and expensive chink phone makers have stock. Everyone have stock. Except Switch. For some reason.
>>
>>384887526
Wait, how do you transfer saves from one Switch to another if first one dies?
>>
>>384883397
It's easier to avoid dropping your switch than preventing specks of dust and dirt getting on it.
Dropping doesn't guarantee that glass shatters, but plastic will inevitably scratch from things out of your control unless you use a screen protector. Glass also often looks better, though I haven't seen the Switch in person.
>>
>>384888867
If your Switch dies you send it back to Nintendo to repair it.
>>
>>384875369
there's no reason for mini-switch to have that retarded stick position
>>
>>384883026
not an argument
>>
>>384889473
I don't argue with shitposters
>>
>>384889558
>its only a shitpost because i dont like what it says and i cant refute it

as you would say...

ebin.
>>
>>384889601
Not an argument
>>
I've always hated Apple but this shortage brings my hatred to new levels. Also pissed at Nintendo for being too jewy and not offering more to secure a better supply of chips, they brought it on themselves.
>>
There is a shortage but here is the thing

Apple is willing to pay more for the components than Nintendo (material always goes to the highests bidder), and thats why Apple keeps making phones and the Switch is not in stock

tldr Nintendo are jews
>>
>>384889774
fucking jews, spending $50 per console to ship them to the stores, am I rite?
https://apptrigger.com/2017/05/01/nintendo-switch-expensive-airplane-shipping-meet-demand/
>>
>>384889737
It's not an issue of being jewy, Nintendo can not outbid Apple at all on these chips, not only do Iphones have a far greater profit margin than a handheld console but they sell significantly more units in a year, more than a hit console will sell in it's lifetime. Nintendo could offer a deal that lost them $200 on every Switch sold and Apple could still outdo them and make money on every Iphone sold, and this is just for that one fucking component too.
>>
>>384889774
thats why you sing contracts, they produce parts after someone orders them and the oder way around you retard
>>
>>384883617
>I don't want to lug around a god damned backpack to play my switch, that's incredibly not portable.

most people did it for the vita and 3dsxl so I don't see the issue. Most young people wear backpacks anyways
>>
>>384889998
Why does this affect only Switch and not other phone manufacturers that have to sell ten times as much as Switch?
>>
>Nintendo underships hardware like they always do
>"It's because of Apple they're not making more consoles faster!"
>>
>>384890139
There are many different manufacturers of NAND. Nintendo and Apple just happen to use the same one
>>
>>384890249
Yeah what a coincidence.
>>
>>384890303
I'm sure industry insiders know more than some guy on /v/, there isn't some big conspiracy about it
>>
>>384890139
Becuase Nintendo was retarded and decided to use components that Apple had a chokehold over and not more standard parts that everyone else uses.
>>
>>384890345
>my dad works at nintendo
>>
>>384890303
>Toshiba makes some of the best and sought after NAND
>everyone like Google, Amazon, Apple are all trying to buy Toshibas branch
>Nintendo decide to do the same because Toshiba is a jap company

literally all there is to it
>>
>>384890128
Most people have a satchel or a car, or a purse, or something to haul around their stuff, I actually think that people who complain about this don't go outside, I don't know a single other person that goes somewhere without something that could hold a Switch.

>>384890139
Because Nintendo can't compete with any of them, phones have far greater profit margins and sell far more units annually.
>>
>>384890619
and nintendo is the only one that have problems getting it,they should just buy them from sony
>>
File: 1492227165251.png (103KB, 580x350px) Image search: [Google]
1492227165251.png
103KB, 580x350px
Why does Nintendo even need these specific rumble parts like for the ice cubes? Did they really bank on gimmick games like 1-2 Switch being a hit that they were willing to sink the entire system when it came to supply issues?
>>
>>384890375
Nintendo doesn't really own a crystal ball that warns them of supply shortages about to happen several months or years into the future, they just went with a sensible option during the design process.
>>
>>384890861
Nintendo is dumb as fuck. Even Wii was fucking retarded but casuals enjoyed how retarded it was.
>>
>>384890932
they have contracts that protects them from this instead you underage retard
>>
>>384890805
but that's not true. Nintendo and Apple are just the only ones making major products right now that use the Toshiba NAND, Apple is the only one who can easily get it because they can bid the most. Also Sony aren't even in the top 10 NAND manufacturers because theirs isn't as good as Toshibas. I'd rather Nintendo go for quality parts
>>
>>384883048
Dude is an idiot
>>
>>384891061
you think this is an auction house? are all nintendotards this retarded?
>>
>>384883754
Then why do I see SO many broken screens still? It was a smart move to go with a plastic screen for the Switch.
>>
>>384891242
That's literally what is

https://www.ft.com/content/69cc67a0-3580-11e7-bce4-9023f8c0fd2e
>>
>>384891242
It's okay to admit you don't know how these things work anon.
>>
>>384891242
>https://www.ft.com/content/69cc67a0-3580-11e7-bce4-9023f8c0fd2e

BTFO'd
>>
>>384891242
>>384891286
absolutely destroyed
>>
>>384887128
Wait. Call me retarded all you want, because I studied language logic instead of programming logic, but aren't NOR gates like that too? What's the big difference?
>>
>>384891061
>Sony aren't even in the top 10 NAND manufacturers because theirs isn't as good as Toshibas
that must be a reason why ps4 is slower than switch
>>
>>384892731
you're jesting right, you surely aren't this dumb
>>
>entire thread is a room full of people expressing how much they can't believe how retarded everyone else is being

it's great, if you just pick replies at random you can't even tell who knows what the fuck they're talking about and who's actually an idiot
>>
>>384889737
Apple is one of the most profitable companies in the world and basically own the smartphone market next to Samsung. It'd be impossible to outbid them for parts.
>>
File: 1486862884878.gif (958KB, 250x269px) Image search: [Google]
1486862884878.gif
958KB, 250x269px
>>384883218
>edges of the dock are right against the screen of the system
Found the crowbcat fan. The dock has rubber bumpers inside, at the edge where the bezel is. The screen never gets close to the dock, not even the hypothetical bent dock. Those "dock scratched my switch" stories are a stew of sandpaper and troll.
Thread posts: 135
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.