[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>"First-person view is more immersive" >hip-shooting

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 10

File: IMG_0636.jpg (63KB, 640x867px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0636.jpg
63KB, 640x867px
>"First-person view is more immersive"

>hip-shooting at eye level

>on-screen crosshairs so you can conveniently hip-shoot targets from 50 yards away with near-perfect accuracy

Immersive, my ass.
>>
Turn off crosshairs then, idiot
>>
>>384838067
see, your mistake was thinking that games are made to be immersive. It is just a buzzworld to market the last ultra realistic graphic fad and VR to your little cucked pockets.
Immersive games are not fun because they cannot be gamey
>>
tf2 is made for like 75 fov because valve is dumb
>>
>>384838067
The best bit is that they block 1/4 of the screen usually by shoving the gun into your face instead of having it held in a reasonable way.
>>
File: test.jpg (220KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
test.jpg
220KB, 1920x1080px
>>384838067
This is if you enable cl_first_person_uses_world_model and disable cl_drawhud 0

(excuse my medium shadows and lack of AA)
>>
>>384839658
>disable cl_drawhud 0
didn't mean to add the 0 there
>>
>having viewmodels on

what a fucking casual
>>
>>384839658
So in other words the first person camera is not a good representation of the character model?
>>
File: test2.jpg (160KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
test2.jpg
160KB, 1920x1080px
>>384840198
The first person view by default uses a different model, not the world model.

This is what you see when you look down with cl_first_person_uses_world_model (this command exists because of VR but you can use it without VR)
>>
>first person game is more immersiv-
>look down
>no body
>>
Yeah, because staring at the back of your character's head is even more immersive.
>>
>>384840550
>he didn't play will rock
>>
>>384839658
That's better (although I don't mind the HUD, just the use of crosshairs as a substitute for ADS).
>>
>>384838067
I don't play first person games, so I'm free of this torment.
>>
But at least it's not in third person.
Jesus christ third person shooters are such shit.
>>
>>384838067
Or maybe the camera is on his waist?
>>
The worst thing about this game was the """immersive""" idea that your rockets should shoot from up and right of the camera and not the center of your screen like a sane game.

>you can peak and fire to the right but not the left

What a fucking dumb idea.
>>
>>384838067
Giving visual advantages to players mitigates the damage cheaters can do.

If TF2 didn't have crosshairs, they would still be easy-peasy to mod in, and people with crosshairs would absolutely dominate those without.

Also, you have to be very careful with GUI design if there are no crosshairs. It can be hard to tell where the centre of the screen is if the GUI is asymmetric.
>>
File: test3.jpg (253KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
test3.jpg
253KB, 1920x1080px
>>384840807
I would not recommend it for serious play, for example when you play the soldier your rocket launcher takes up half of the screen at times and sometimes your arms flail in front of you while rocket jumping and it can be a bit distracting.

Also with fov_desired 90 you get some model clipping you probably wouldn't want to see.
>>384838423
The reason the game is made for like 75 fov is because of the reason I stated above: they really hate clipping being visible.
>>384841412
You can use the Original, which actually shoots from the middle instead of from the top right. Also flipping viewmodels will change where the default rocket launcher will launch from.
>>
>>384838067
>"Half Life has very immersive story"
>Jump on NPCs and spin around while they still give you exposition dumps
>>
File: test4.jpg (282KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
test4.jpg
282KB, 1920x1080px
>>384841606
Bonus: the Original with cl_first_person_uses_world_model 1 (still shoots rockets from the middle)
>>
File: IMG_0634.png (173KB, 500x750px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0634.png
173KB, 500x750px
>>384841264
Now that's just silly. Who would actually do that?
>>
if you play fallout 3/nv/4 in 3rd person, please neck yourself
>>
>>384841847
>Half life is very immersive
>proceeds to bunnyhop through the game and use explosives on himself to give him more speed
>uses the gravity gun and smashes the NPC heads so they have a quantum reaction through space time

wow...
>>
File: IMG_0638.jpg (72KB, 760x423px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0638.jpg
72KB, 760x423px
>>384841083
At least TPS games show the PC holding his weapon correctly.
>>
File: Hank Hill distorted.gif (566KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
Hank Hill distorted.gif
566KB, 300x300px
>>384838357
>he is actually railing against the concept of immersion
>>
>>384843147
If I had to choose between a game made to be fun and a game made to be immersive, I'd probably choose the former.
>>
>>384843147
Immersion is not the end all be all of vidya
>>
>>384843147
Anon, get out while it's time. Follow me, let's get out of there.
>>
>>384843012
That's basically the least important thing in a game.

Also you have no idea where that shot's even going in that screenshot. Is it leaving the gun in the direction that the gun is pointed? Is it going to hit something on the line that the crosshair makes from the camera? How is the first one playable and how doesn't the second break your precious immersion?
>>
File: IMG_0639.png (251KB, 512x286px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0639.png
251KB, 512x286px
>>384843621
>Is it leaving the gun in the direction that the gun is pointed?

Assuming he's a trained FBI agent and doesn't completely fuck up his shot, yes.

>Is it going to hit something on the line that the crosshairs makes from the camera?

In RE4's case, the gun has a sight laser to pinpoint exactly where your shot will land.

>How is the first one playable

It's very playable, despite the fucked-up perspective.

>and how doesn't the second break your precious immersion?

Because he's actually holding and aiming his gun properly.

I'm really not asking for much; I just want consistency. First-person shooters should default to ADS with off-screen, non-crosshaired hip-shooting as a secondary firing mode for close-quarters encounters where precision is less important (and give players the option to switch those around so that hip-firing is the default).
>>
>>384838067
Immersive doesn't mean accurate. It just means that the player can become immersed in the world and picture themselves as an actor.
Don't be a putz
>>
"Immersive" is hard to quantify at best, and a meaningless buzzword at worst. It's not a single quality a game has, but a combination of everything from something as big as how consistent the world is to something as small as the HUD elements becoming more transparent when they aren't important. That being said, a game being in first person gives you a pretty huge advantage in achieving that feeling. Being in third person and constantly seeing the character you're controlling is just that, a constant reminder that you're only controlling a character.
>>
>He thinks "immersion" means "realism"
nice job retard
>>
>>384838423
The game is made for 54 viewmodel FOV, the actual FOV doesn't matter.
>>
>>384848358
Not realism, but believability. They're not the same thing.

I can accept bunnyhopping, no reloading, carrying a dozen weapons at once with no slowdown, etc. but at minimum, the game should nail its most fundamental aspect, which is the first-person perspective.
>>
>>384841606
I've never gotten clipping with 90 FOV, you must have your viewmodel FOV fucked up.
>>
File: doom center gun.jpg (76KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
doom center gun.jpg
76KB, 1280x720px
>>384839638
Why all FPSes don't give you the option to turn off the model or even center the gun (like it should be by default) is beyond me
>>
>>384850705
you are literally the tumblr tier type person of /v/

making this asinine bullshit up to complain about because you have nothing better to do.
>>
>>384838067

The reason they don't put your arms in a realistic shooting position in games is because your arms and gun would cover like a full fucking third of the screen. Nobody could play like that.
>>
>>384850954
>>384850954
>I've never gotten clipping with 90 FOV, you must have your viewmodel FOV fucked up.
The default viewmodel_fov is 54. Assuming your fov_desired is 90, you can see clipping at times even with viewmodel_fov 70. Obviously even more so at viewmodel_fov 90.

Though, I use minimal viewmodels, so I never really have to adjust viewmodel_fov from the default out of feeling cramped.
>>
>>384838067
Third person > first person
While I'm at it:
melee > ranged
and immersion is unimportant
>>
>>384851470
The game should have three primary modes during play:

1. Not engaged, gun pointed down and out of sight. View is unobstructed.

2. Engaged from a distance, gun drawn with ADS taking up much of the view.

3. Engaged in close quarters, gun (or melee weapon) drawn from hip or chest. View is mostly unobstructed, unless the gun is long, in which case the muzzle could stick out a little from the bottom edge.

Fundamentally, developers should rig a fully animated model for the PC, and make sure the game works just as well in both first- and third-person views. No more floating arms in front of the camera and other cheap visual hacks.
>>
>>384844936
He means where the bullets are coming from, if you were to walk up to an object perhaps the laser would appear right infront of you in a weird fashion instead of him pointing his gun forward. This would be because where the bullet comes out from is elsewhere than his model. (example of this is in call of duty / csgo / battlefield where you shoot from your head instead of your gun, so you can show only your head above a box and still kill people even though your weapon is inside of a box)
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.