[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do people like Rayman Origins/Legends so much? They are mediocre

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

File: rayman origins.jpg (108KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
rayman origins.jpg
108KB, 1920x1080px
Why do people like Rayman Origins/Legends so much? They are mediocre linear boring platformers. Was it just people being THAT thirsty for platformers at the time?

I'm playing through Ori and the Blind Forest and it feels like the creators played Rayman Origins and figured out how to make a worthwhile game out of it.
>>
>>384819962
Linear platformers > metroidvania trash
>>
comparing a platformer to a metroidvania

sounds like you should get into the metroid series

rayman origins/legends is one of the best 2D platformers every made alongside the DKCR games, especially if we look at only modern games
>>
>>384820365
It's not even a good linear platformer though. The "secrets" are obvious and the whole thing feels uninspired and boring. There's also not much challenge.

Play NSMB/DKCR then play the Rayman games and it's night and day in terms of everything.

Then again, people love Yoshi's Island and I think that's another shitty style-over-substance platformer
>>
File: 1445939948938.jpg (27KB, 234x271px) Image search: [Google]
1445939948938.jpg
27KB, 234x271px
>>384819962
>Ori
>worthwhile game
>>
>>384820710
This, every mechanic in legends and origins was so well done and fun I can't think of anything to complain about I just had so much fun playing it. Plus its art and music direction was just godly. Some of the best 2d platformers ever made.
>>
Legends, while not really challenging, had a great pace and going through the levels felt intuitive and natural, even the ones with Murphy. They were a delight to play. Also, the musical levels were incredibly fun.
>>
>>384821291
I played through Legends last year and literally can't remember anything about it, yet I can remember a lot about Puppeteer, which I played through at a similar time.

Although that's as much about Puppeteer being pretty great despite it making zero splash.
>>
Played it with friends and killed each other instead of plating through the levels

Played it again with my little brother - a good change from another LEGO game.

The game is fun with others. Ubisoft should release the engine like they said they would, though
>>
>>384820893
>NSMB
Opinion discarded.
>>
Will we get a sequel to these?
The mobile games are good (except for Adventure, with its IAP shit) but I want anther console platformer
>>
these games are amazing on vita. everything pops on that oled. pretty much the only reason worth owning one.
>>
To be honest I somewhat agree. I onlyplayed origins, and I think its a fine game, but still very overrated.

My biggest complaint is that collectables give you too much information on when to do what. You basically just jump whenever the collectables tell you to do so, same with walljumps and other movements. It felt more like a rythm game than a platformer at times.

Sure other platformers do this too, but Origins took it to the extreme. I felt no sense of accomplishment because the game always holds your hand. That's why I liked the water level the most, because it wasn't as obvious there.
>>
>>384819962
>I'm playing through Ori and the Blind Forest and it feels like the creators played Rayman Origins and figured out how to make a worthwhile game out of it.
To be honest I'm playing Splatoon 2 right now and it feels that the creators managed to make a fun Ori and the blind forest
>>
>>384820893
Rayman feels like a better NSMB though. The fact they're comparable does show that Rayman could be better though
>>
>>384826927
NSMB is miles better than Rayman. It's a bit underrated - not a classic but way better than 6 Golden Coins or SMB2
>>
Rayman 2 > Rayman 1 > Rayman 3 > Rayman Origins > Rayman Legends
>>
>>384826772
Both platformers with similar art styles. One is open-world and abilities-based but hardly a million miles away.

People don't get pissy when you compare open-world and linear FPSes.
>>
>>384828652
shit list

2 > legends = origins > 1 > 3

all good tho
>>
>>384819962

Because they're good games? Visually look great and have tight controls.

>linear is always bad
>>
>>384829181
They look and control fine. The problem is the gameplay and level design which is as bland as fuck. The game is just creatively uninspired, and a case of style over substance.
>>
>bought legends for vita
>bought it again on sale for PS4 because I wanted an hd version since it was so beautiful
>switch is gonna have both a handheld and hd version with new content
Legends was my first double dip. And triple dip too I think.
>>
>>384829796

I disagree with the level design being shit. They're good and we'll received games. You are welcome to suggest good modern 2d platformers though.
>>
>>384830510
Shovel Knight, Super Meat Boy, Ori and Hollow Knight are all amazing. Kirby Triple Deluxe, Puppeteer and DKCR are very good.

I wouldn't recommend Rayman, LBP, NSMB2 or Yoshi's Island 3DS.

I've probably played others but I forget.
>>
That water level with the obnoxious singing made me want to shoot up a school.
>>
>>384831205
Oh, I also played Tembo, which is a pile of shit.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.