[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it possible to make a sequel to a game that has multiple endings

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

File: 1465409858227.jpg (65KB, 640x720px) Image search: [Google]
1465409858227.jpg
65KB, 640x720px
Is it possible to make a sequel to a game that has multiple endings without having to "choose" a canon ending and discard the rest?
>>
Importing your last saved game file affects story related content, but no game developer will put in the work involved to make such a game
>>
>>384787294
Sure. You can go the TES route and make all the endings canon through magic shit. You can make the endings separate so each one could have happened at the same time by other means. Or you could just not reference them in the sequel or leave it vague enough.
>>
>>384787778
The TES route is to make it completely irrelevant to future games

Everyone won Daggerfall. Just about the only result of that in later games was Mannimarco looking like a faggot in Oblivion
>>
>>384787970
True. Though they reference it and stuff in the games so while it doesn't really play into the actual story of the games, they are still there in the background. The most notable change being the change in power from like 40 kingdoms to 4 and possibly even the creation of Talos himself.
>>
I remember someone on an interview saying that Deus Ex: Invisible War was gonna let you decide what ending was canon based on choices while talking about past events, and then those choices would show themselves. But it was never implemented and they just used the "mix all of the endings up". That game is shit.
>>
File: 1477627744383.jpg (42KB, 712x712px) Image search: [Google]
1477627744383.jpg
42KB, 712x712px
I will never understand why people don't just split their timelines and do sequels in both.

Say Game 1 gives the hero a choice to join the villain. Game 2 will completely disregard that choice, sequels always assume you went good. Now you have an MMO on the way and need a place to fit it in the timeline. Companies all too often just make up a past event that was never mentioned and set the MMO then. That's retarded, what they should do is set it in the ending where the hero joined forces with the villain, thus keeping both endong canonical and providing an excuse for why the whole fucking world has to team up to fight the villain. It also lets you keep the villain fron the prior game(s) in the franchise who the audience is already attached to. Want to do a spinoff and have no place in the series timeline to place it game? Set it in a world where the ending of o e of the prior games played out differently.
>>
>>384788693
Kotor 2 did that with Revan's Backstory.

And ME2 since Bioware fucked up the variable that keeps track of who became councilor.
>>
>>384788772
Most people don't plan on doing multiple sequels to their games. And if you go with different canons for each, they start feeling largely pointless.
>>
>>384788929
H
O
W
?

If you don't plan on a sequel then make your game the most openended game ever and let the player pick everything. If you make enough money to do a sequel male all the good choices canon. Third game? Rinse and repeat.

Big franchises already do this. This isn't about little guys who are just starting out. I'm talking about big established franchises with no place to fit a spinoff or an MMO in there timelines. Going back and doing what if scenarios and saying they are just as canon as everything else ain't pointless, it flushes out the world more. Giving the other possible choices entire games devoted only to those outcomes means past decisions that were originally made pointless are suddenly revisited and can be shown to have huge consequences instead instead of changing one line of dialogue like so many Mass Effect lines did. It frees you from having to worry about the next game letting the developer go batshit crazy and still let the player do whatever the fuck they want.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.