[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Wasted potential? Or was it just not a feasible concept? Can

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 11

File: No_Man's_Sky.jpg (37KB, 350x350px)
No_Man's_Sky.jpg
37KB, 350x350px
Wasted potential? Or was it just not a feasible concept? Can they ever salvage this? And I dont mean make it a success, that ship has sailed. I mean make it an actual decent thing to pick up and kill time with. Dust settling and all that, what are your thoughts?

I was gifted the game and trying to give an unbiased review. The first 5 hours were incredible. Just trying to gather shit, seeing a new planet, warp space and sheer magnitude of distance. Finding that new, dead base with a new gun.

But then the soul was just sucked out of it completely. Not even the commerce had player interaction. There was nothing. It was a scavenger hunt with no goal. There was nothing, and even the planets you went to got a name wipe periodically. I just feel it could have been a monumental game with just a few key features like player controlled market, baisic base building, more danger, and maybe even instanced 5 player groups.
>>
no its never gonna live up to the promised hype even if they continue to update it

I don't know why people keep falling for these scam games
>>
>>384785039
୧༼ಠ益ಠ༽୨ MRGLRLRLR ୧༼ಠ益ಠ༽୨
>>
We're in an age where broken/shit games can be fixed on launch but are luckily not forgiven for their mistakes.
If NMS was released as an early access title with 80% less marketing behind it people would have eaten it up purely off potential; but a supposed finished product with this much letdown has sailed and sunk and nothing but a sequel would get people to think twice of it.
>>
Isn't there some big secret update coming soon?
>>
>>384788249
August
>>
>>384784914
>And I dont mean make it a success, that ship has sailed
But OP, it was a commercial success
>>
>>384784914
Update 1.3 soon lad, there's whole ARG being teased on it.
>>
Has any updates been made to the game.
>>
>>384784914
There was never any potential in this early access survival game vaporware with a marketing budget and physical release. The marketing was obvious bullshit and only convinced people who are easily enthralled by stuff like "procedural generation" and "18 quintillion planets".
>>
File: OQz_a4jrSiI[1].jpg (125KB, 611x789px) Image search: [Google]
OQz_a4jrSiI[1].jpg
125KB, 611x789px
>>384788249
>>
>>384789312
Whole bunch of stuff, like base building, farming, ground vehicles and freighters. All of this runs largely parallel to the actual game though. Base building would make sense in an elite-like game where you hover back and forth in a general area but less in one where everything else is geared toward progressing towards the hub without ever looking back.
>>
>>384788249
Secret update, yes, but big? We dunno about that. It's kinda funny that people are such that they've bought into the hype again despite the game's history.
>>
>>384790770
It looks like they're not even sure where they want to go with the game.
>>
>>384790268
drink more ovaltine?
>>
>Or was it just not a feasible concept?

This, it's why Elite: Dangerous is a bore and Star Citizen is an impossible dream that will be massively disappointing if it comes out.
>>
>>384784914
>Wasted potential
Yes. Granted, everything failed is wasted potential, if this game wasn't leaded by a pathological liar and a sociopath, along with a development team that had made more than just JOE DANGER, the product could have been a lot better. Of course, saying that it would be better being made by someone else isn't really saying much.
>>
>>384790948
If you look at the game as it was one year ago, it's very clear they knew where they were going. the systems, the writing, even that ending many love to hate, the nods to Captain Blood, it was very consistent. It was however, not the game people wanted to have, and it had severe balance problems.

Everything they've done since, to try and rework the game into what hyped up fans were mistakenly expecting, is much less so. People are progressively getting to play that other game they wanted, but at the price of the original vision. And it still has the balance problems! For example even with the most optimized farming setup it'll take you like seventy hours to get funds for a big freighter, and then said freighter is really mostly useless.
>>
>>384792349
>Mistakenly expecting
Go away Sean Murray. There is documentation of what you were trying to claim the game to be.
>>
>>384784914
It's just an even shittier version of Elite: Dangerous.
>>
>>384792349
Shill BTFO
>>
>>384792568
what is it with space game fans and strawmen of evil? Apparently if you take a step back you're either Sean Murray or Derek Smart these days. What is it about that genre that attracts huge autists?
>>
No, It can't be salvaged at all

It's not even feasible in time and money. It would need such an overhaul that it would be a sequel and by then nobody would take Sean Murray seriously ever again, unless they do patch it in the main game, in a year or more of development for a past-its-prime product.

We all got scammed, that is. The first hours were magical, true, until I realized that my imagination was pushing me forward to explore the universe and find the lore or mysterious stories of lost survivors - such thing that doesn't even exist in the game.
>>
>>384793056
Your post is straight PR talk. You're apologetic to the clusterfuck that is No Man's Sky while using words like "VISION" to try to make it out as if the the people who were hyped for this game (BECAUSE OF THE DEVELOPERS) are the ones to blame instead of the awful developers.
>>
do animals do anything yet?

they literally just walked in circles when i played last
>>
>>384793071
>nobody would take Sean Murray seriously
It took like 20 games before people started being wary of Peter Molyneux despite him outright saying in interviews he was bullshitting half the time, people still gave money to Schafer after Broken age, etc. That people are even buying into the ARG hype shows that gamers have goldfish memories.
>>
>>384793406
You can feed them and they dig up or shit out powerups. They've been doing that since the release though, although after a later rebalance the material they shit out is unique instead of being some local metal.
>>
File: IMG_1191.gif (955KB, 360x360px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1191.gif
955KB, 360x360px
>>384784914
Post >yfw you didn't fall for this shitty game
>>
>>384793520
Sean seems to have amassed the controversy that Molyneux has after one game though (despite the lies not being nearly as severe as any that Molyneux have told). I honestly don't think he will recover.
Those people have respect despite their awful scams. Sean never did, and never will now.
>>
>>384793262
Wait, how would a post saying the game's worse now be PR? Shouldn't it be saying the game's better?
>>
File: 128.jpg (3KB, 111x125px) Image search: [Google]
128.jpg
3KB, 111x125px
>>384784914
literally just download voxelfarm
and add some light survival and crafting elements
and you will have made no man sky in a weekend
>>
>>384784914
Decent ideas, but no way such a small inexperienced team was pulling it off, so no potential was there to be wasted in the first place.
>>
>>384794043
>How would a post saying the game's worse now
Because the post is saying the game is worse now because they're trying to "Make the game how the fans wanted it" instead of "how the VISION was". The post is claiming the developer is right and the people hyped for the game (by the developer) are wrong.
>>
>>384784914
Not feasible.

They would have been far better served by having their algorithm generate a few dozen planets, then spent the remaining couple years doing individual tweaks while actually implementing gameplay.
>>
I just wanted space engine, but with actually detailed planet surfaces and flora and fauna.

All they need to do to get my purchase is get the graphical fidelity back to the level they had it in trailers, and to add in nvdia ansel support like they said they'd have so I can make absurd 10,000x7000 pixel big screenshots.
>>
>>384794032
People already didn't like Joe Danger and they still bought NMS though. Plus if the hate's really so focused on Murray he just needs to sit back and hide behind trailers and people will eat the sequel up
>>
File: Capitalism Ho!.gif (30KB, 220x400px) Image search: [Google]
Capitalism Ho!.gif
30KB, 220x400px
>>384793947
>>
>>384794158
That's still saying the game's worse though, and going against all the PR they've done for recent patches which was that the game was getting better by doing what fans wanted.
>>
>>384794258
And it is that. That isn't why people are disappointed.
Go back and look at the trailers, the graphical fidelity is the same. Also didn't know it would have ansel support, that would have been pretty cool
The flora and fauna variety is great, and I feel like the planet generation has been improved because it is superb now.
>>
>hyped it to be more than a minecraft clone
>released as less than a shitty minecraft clone

WHY ISNT THIS ILLEGAL
>>
>>384794804
Cause marketing never is? Fuck, the game wasn't hyped up to be *anything* definite, I can't still remember all the "but what do you do in NMS" threads we had right until the game came out.
>>
>>384794414
>That's still saying the game is worse though
Yes, I'm not denying that. I'm trying to make you understand that it's calling the game worse because of fans, not the developer. It's placing the blame in the hands of people who aren't making the game. The post started off with saying that the devs were very clear with where they were going with the game. They weren't at all. They were all over the place. They promised things many things which showed how either little communication there was between team and Sean Murray or that they had no idea what they were doing. Such as going to the point of claiming the color of the atmosphere for each planet is calculated mathematically with rain drops and light diffraction to make each planet's atmosphere unique.
>>
https://wakingtitan.com/
>>
It was never going to be good. Look at it announcement trailer: https://youtu.be/aCgWabJssVI

If by the end of this you don't think to yourself
>this looks like an empty shell of a game where you fly around and look at stuff and that's fucking it
>this looks like fucking garbage
Then you are a retard. End of story. Anybody who EVER at any point in time thought this would be even remotely good is just an idiot.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvAwB7ogkik
>>
File: 1500204168697.jpg (64KB, 332x346px) Image search: [Google]
1500204168697.jpg
64KB, 332x346px
>>384784914
For ALL the gullible retards who buy into hype and preorder.. may all your save files get corrupted you fucking worthless cunts..
>>
>>384795050
as soon as you take out Sean's TV appearances and stick to when he or his team spoke at dev events, everything shown becomes extremely cohesive with the released game as it was pre-foundation. You're just salty because you fell for someone who liked his own hype as much as you did.
>>
>>384795901
>You fell
Nigger, I pirated that game. I realized it was going to be shit when they were showing off the same thing every year at E3.
>As soon as you take out every bit of marketing they did
Even when you set your rules this much in your favor you're still wrong.
>>
>>384794665
>That isn't why people are disappointed.

I'm aware, but i've always thought why people were dissapointed was bullshit, since the devs made it pretty clear to me they weren't aiming for the sort of expierence people were lamenting having not gotten.

>Go back and look at the trailers, the graphical fidelity is the same.
Not from what i've seen, the distance fog is way worse, is the main thing.
>>
>>384796063
We go back to the molyneux comparison: a game should be allowed to be evaluated for its own merits. Dungeon Keeper is still a classic despite not having, and never actually having been intended to have, the promised adventurer mode where you'd raid other players' dungeons. Magic Carpet is still a classic despite not being able to step off the carpet to enter buildings. Syndicate is still a classic despite not having 8 AI opponents who'd have conversations with you using speech synthesis. Black & White is still liked even though you cannot use a llama glove as a motions controller. All those were promised features.

You got tricked like a grade schooler by base marketing even though just watching an actual dev video would have given the whole act away. If you hadn't you wouldn't be as salty as you are.
>>
>>384796698
>You got tricked like a grade schooler
You might literally retarded. I already made it very clear that I was anticipating the game to be shit so I did not pay for it.
>>
>>384784914
Certainly wasted potential. The only reason anyone cares is the developers hyped the game up by lying about what would be in it before the game got released.
>>
>>384796698
Are you trying to imply that if you ignore the developer's lies and the missing features that the game is good? Because even in that kind of vacuum the game is still pretty shit, the fact that it might have been decent had they not been lying is just an extra twist of the dagger for some people.
>>
>>384797782
The prices are unbalanced for the higher tier stuff and I don't dare imagine how it must've been to try and complete the Atlas path when the inventory was even more limited than it is now but apart from that it's a pretty chill game.
>>
>>384797023
No, it had zero potential. See
>>384795251
>>
>>384798069
>Pretty chill
>Every five seconds an annoying voice warns you of radiation, cold, heat, weather, low on whatever resource
>Random planets have the omniscient police literally stalking you and trying to kill you
There is nothing chill about No Man's Sky. Even stoners hate the game.
>>
>>384798069
You've got some pretty low standards if you're into wandering bland planets for minerals so you can go to another recoloured bland planet to look for renamed minerals. Even then that kind of thing has been done better by other games that actually have some gameplay to them.
>>
>>384798069
There is nothing good about the game except the art style, which is subjective. Literally nothing good. No redeeming qualities. And what's worse is that this was always obvious right from the very beginning
>>
File: 1442723809421.png (926KB, 600x728px) Image search: [Google]
1442723809421.png
926KB, 600x728px
>Entire game is procedural generation
This should be an indication of being shit
>>
>>384799228
IT IS. only people who disagree or don't know that yet are either retards, kids, or both
>>
>>384790268
Really going to have to get myself a tea and some noms to ponder over this one.
>>
>>384798819
>other games that actually have some gameplay to them
Titles plz I want those
>>
File: 1500587746944.png (20KB, 300x310px) Image search: [Google]
1500587746944.png
20KB, 300x310px
>>384784914
I think NMS have a good concept but the idea of making 18 quintillion planets in a full 3D game is a bit of an exaggeration, take starbound for example, the concept works fine for the most part (except for the fact that after the end of the game it become really boring and shallow), i think if they used a better world generation method with less planets and galaxies, less procedural generations on animals and plants (basically do something with their hands once in a while) with something more story based with actually some good objectives (without those boring loops of grinding materials and shit and instead a game more focused on your relations with the many races and factions in space) would be more fun.
Elite Dangerous for example made a good execution, the only problem it was that the game isn't too much story based and you end up only doing courier missions, which become boring as the game progresses until you get good on the learning curve (which is by the way a fucking mess, since the game starts too complicated for most players).
So basically, if the game were a bit more simple, didn't gone for the 18 quintillion planets, were less procedural (the animals and even the music are procedural, another example of exaggeration), it would become at least an ok game.

tl;dr: the game could be a lot more simple
>>
>>384799228
The two main games that I can think of that are nothing but procedural generation are Elite Dangerous and NMS. And they both suffer from the same exact problems due to procedural generation being the only method of generating "content".
>>
>>384798383
>Every five seconds an annoying voice warns you of radiation, cold, heat, weather, low on whatever resource
Build shields. Warnings gone. Don't pretend it was even vaguely tricky to get the blueprints.
>Random planets have the omniscient police literally stalking you and trying to kill you
As soon as you break line of sight they'll be gone in 15 seconds, and besides they're all super weak.
>>
File: 1443932729948.png (83KB, 471x396px) Image search: [Google]
1443932729948.png
83KB, 471x396px
>>384800615
>I think NMS have a good concept
>>
File: 1489634248928.jpg (230KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
1489634248928.jpg
230KB, 1280x960px
>>384795251
>Everyone that likes, or considers liking things that i don't is a fucking retard.
>>
>>384800912
>ignoring the rest of the text
>>
>>384788249
yes in only a couple months they managed to salvage NMS and create the biggest of all big updates, you can do everything
E V E R Y T H I N G
>>
>>384784914
Holy shit, I can’t believe it. This is the game I’ve spent years waiting for. LITERALLY YEARS waiting for it and this is the steaming pile of turds Hello Games puts out for us, like we’re some kind of idiots who don’t deserve a real game. Since 2013 I’ve been patiently glued to my computer waiting for news, updates, gameplay for this. Every VGX and every E3 I’d park my ass in my chair with my model Enterprises and Xwings and like a little fanboy wait for some glorious bit of info on NMS that would revolutionize the way I play games, but NOPE! None of that EVER happened… Now with just a couple days left all hope is LOST. It seems like a huge chunk of my life has gone by, and for what? For this, and empty husk of a game? Fucking Sean and his crew of goons couldn’t even be helped to do ONE thing right for the fans. He talked awfully mighty about endless universes and exotic planets and it looks like we’re just getting another fucking Spore in space. How long do I have to go for an actual game that’ll shake up the industry. I’m literally about to cry right now. I haven’t played any other games in anticipation for this one, and now I have NOTHING left to look forward to. I canned my copies of Dune and trashed my entire Babylon 5 box set thinking they’d be obsolete after NMS. God damn it Sean, I was your biggest fan too and you did this to me. Your peak was Joe Danger and quite frankly I think you deserve it!
>>
>>384800928
Well in this case those things are procedurally generated content and complete lack of game design or structure whatsoever, then yes those people are retarded
>>
>>384784914
http://store.steampowered.com/app/580200/

Yonder is the new NMS, its literally a game made in like 1-2 years max cobbled together and fuck all to do big empty areas that take too long to get to, so you get a false sense of length. It's so mediocre and unpolished the devs outright get pissy if you call them out. They didn't make a demo or go early access because people would have refunded it faster.
>>
>>384799228
It's one of the ultimate red flag.
>>
>>384802770
I pirated the game, and i glad i did because the game is very mediocre holy shit.
>shit character design, bare minimum customization
>empty field, camera and movement control felt stiff
>awkward control, some button serve no purpose
>did not support directinput device for some reason
>very mediocre story, and pacing is real fucking bad
>i think there's no battle at all
>you can adopt animal, but i'm not bother to do so since the game encourage me to explore the empty field, too lazy to run back to my own field
The only thing i liked from that game is the cute fox.
>>
>>384800615
Scale of NMS is insignificant. They randomly generated the universe and picked 18 quintillion for some reason, but it wouldn't matter if they chose 18 thousand... it would steel probably feel immense.
>>
>>384784914
I didn't read the OP post because it was too long but

all they had to do was to make piloting the ship fun and give a free roam mode which they had promised but didn't deliver.
>>
>>384790086
>and only convinced people who are easily enthralled by stuff like "procedural generation" and "18 quintillion planets".

It only convinced the most basic of game normies and people who don't play games. He got on non-game related talk shows for crying out loud. Those people heard "My game is creating millions of planets" and probably assumed it was some kind of next leap in virtual reality or some shit. It was basically burst processing buzzword, saying advanced sounding shit to fool normies.
>>
>>384784914
xd
>>
>>384804660

you were never the pilot anon game was on rails
>>
>>384804387
>picked 18 quintillion for some reason
2^64, and that's because of the usual computation limits. Using traditional random methods they can generate 2^64 "unique" planets. They will all be different in theory but that doesn't mean they will LOOK different.
>>
People just don't understand that the stuff like NMS and Star Citizen promise just isn't feasible with current technology.
>>
>>384804990
And you just don't understand that it's about making a good product using the resources you have at hand. Technical limitations shouldn't be a reason why your game is utter shit.
>>
>>384804898
>>2^64
Cool that you know that too, but didn't want to bore everyone with a computer architecture lesson. As I was saying, it's not a consequent of the game design. They could have picked 4 million and till would have felt fucking immense.
>>unique
Never said anything about unique.
>>
>>384806442
Yes, It really feels like there are too many planets. Even in the scale of millions it would still feel too big, but that kinda was their selling point. Just remember all these kids saying stupid shit like "The universe is so big, just imagine the possibility of real, sentient life inside the game".
Stupid? Sure. But it worked in favor of the hype.

>Never said anything about unique
I know, I was just specifying about the system they used to generate worlds.
Thread posts: 84
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.