[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why won't Gabe just say the game is cancelled? Do they

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3

File: Half-Life-3.jpg (59KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Half-Life-3.jpg
59KB, 1920x1080px
Why won't Gabe just say the game is cancelled?

Do they not want to kill the hype or do they fear backlash?
>>
Because the game isn't cancelled, technically, there are like two dudes working on it internally.
>>
Valve's development system is retarded. A person can choose where he wants to work and everyone chooses to work at CSGO, DOTA, or any other garbage.
No one wants to work at half-life 3 since developers have changed a bazillion times and no one wants to go through all the backlog and try to continue.
>>
>>384775459

I doubt that. It's been nearly 10 ten years, there is no way it will live up to the hype.
>>
at this point they can only provide a literally 10/10 Perfect GOAT or the backslash would destroy them, the stakes are higher than ever so I can understand why they might be restarting the project every year
>>
https://segmentnext.com/2017/07/18/half-life-3-conclude-series/
>>
>>384775543
how was that ever an argument?
EA, Ubisoft, Bethesda continually and disappointingly release objectively inferior to hype products, and even mostly inferior to prior games.

Valve has no money issues, they can sink an infinite amount of money in a project for a decade and more, and they already have wasted money on VR tech they never used themselves and gave away instead for free, or steam consoles or what they were called, steam controllers, etc...

Your doubt is not misplaced, but unfounded with that argument alone.
>>
>>384775420
cant be cancelled if its not worked on
>>
File: bigus.jpg (101KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
bigus.jpg
101KB, 900x900px
>>384775420
>Why won't Gabe just say the game is cancelled?

Because it isn't. It's in some retarded limbo that can only really exist in a company like Valve, where it's not fully cancelled but barely being worked on either

Most of Valve is probably just random fragments of games until people get bored and wander off to something else
>>
>>384775537
>no one wants to go through all the backlog and try to continue
How do you know that nobody wants that, and how do you know that they did or would not hire someone who is itching.
Many people have made bold statements on twitter that they would love to take over the project, and valve is famous for hiring unknown but potentially talented people.
>>
It's not cancelled, it's just in limbo
>>
Most likely won't live up to expectations.
>>
>>384775420
Read this article. It gives pretty good insight on how Valve operates and why HL3 might not ever happen.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2017/01/11/searching-for-half-life-3.aspx
>>
>>384775537
can't say anything about csgo, but dota has been running in skeleton crew mode a few month after source 2 hit.
>>
>>384779359
csgo's actually slowed down a ton as well
took them like a year to push out the last operation, and it was actually much smaller than the previous one

Lets just hope they're at least working on l4d3
>>
>>384779641
Yo okay so those leaked skins about l4d3 are at least a year old

WHERE THE FUCK IS IT WHAT THE FUCK ARE THEY DOING
>>
>>384779729
They're just sitting doing nothing because steam money
>>
>>384775420
They would lose money if they would straight out tell us that HL3 would never happen.
>>
>>384779641
Well ,some of the people who actually do anything at valve are working on steam. That thing gets updated daily.
>>
>>384779804
Nigga the CS GO economy is enough to sustain a small country
>>
>>384779905
It doesn't matter. As long as there is hope people will pay him. When they come out and say no HL3 ever a lot of negativity would be thrown towards them they would lose a bit of money (which they probably hate) and their image.
>>
There is probably constant work on it, they just can't figure out what direction to take it in and people move on to another project.
>>
They wrote themselves into a corner with the cliffhanger of Episode Two. Half Life 1's cliffhanger worked because you could have gone in any direction with it, but you have to address the death of Eli Vance, you have to address the Borealis, if you don't then Valve's office will burn to the ground. And with so many of the old guard gone who knows if the new people really give a shit about those elements or have any idea what the original plan was.
>>
File: Capture.png (7KB, 628x66px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
7KB, 628x66px
STANDING
>>
There are some old comments made by a former engineer at Valve that show what it was like working there: https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=13414190
>The biggest problem with flat management is that it isn't really flat. It only means that there is no formal organizational structure. Think of it like the Wild West: It's flat in the sense that you can get away with any behavior if you have enough influence or force. Those who are powerful end up ruling everyone else, making the system anything but flat. I'm not at all convinced this is better than a structured system that tries to ensure fairness (even if flawed). A lot of folks at Valve had very bad experiences with unfit managers (mostly at Microsoft), and I can understand why they developed a system to avoid the nastiness they experienced in the past. It sometimes works well: The unstructured teams appear to be very effective at product maintenance. The products that are already successful and have an established fan base do well with a small group of folks with an informal leader, who doesn't have to make difficult decisions to keep the fan base happy. For new products, there are lots of difficult decisions that affect the future of employees and customers, and it doesn't appear possible for a group to make these decisions together. I spent many, many hours in meetings discussing the same issues repeatedly because there was no leader to make a final decision and allow everyone to get back to work. Instead we just debated without end, causing everyone to become unfocused and demoralized. It's analysis paralysis in the worst way I've ever seen. I now understand why many social groups from primitive tribes to 1st-world nations have leaders and chiefs. It's fine to vote them out when necessary, but having visionary leadership is really critical to development and I don't see how this can be distributed among a group unless each person shares exactly the same vision, which I suppose is possible, but unlikely.
>>
>>384775420
Fuck Valve. Was a fan of 'em because of Half-life, but they just fucked around people who have waited and showed a big silent smile by our great savior Gabe Newell. The only thing that kept me tied to them is tf2, which they threw in trash too for the likes of dota and cs. So, as I said, fuck them, they don't give a single fuck about fans, so whatever, not waiting for any of their shit anymore.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.