[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are good city builders /v/? Already played the shit out

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 97
Thread images: 12

File: caesar 3.jpg (2MB, 1024x758px) Image search: [Google]
caesar 3.jpg
2MB, 1024x758px
What are good city builders /v/?
Already played the shit out of Cesar III and Pharaoh, Banished and Anno 1404.
I just want some comfy city builder, no combat necessary, though I don't hate it.
Cities: Skylines have been keeping me busy lately, but something on a smaller scale would be better.
>>
>>384758539
Zeus:Master of Olympus
>>
try the chinese reskin, Emperor, apparently it's the best one
>>
>>384758821
I would honestly like to play something more modern. I like the games but sometimes they feel a bit lacking
>>
File: 1468566637778.jpg (23KB, 264x254px) Image search: [Google]
1468566637778.jpg
23KB, 264x254px
There's Hearthlands.
It's like Caesar and Pharaoh.

Also Tropico.
>>
>>384758821
What game
>>
>>384759621
is it worth 20 bucks though?
I have tried Kingdoms and Castles a bit ago and its kind of a mixture of citybuilder, think simplified anno, and towerdefense(?) I guess, against dragons and vikings, with controllable armies
>>
>>384760013
I haven't played it in awhile. Quite a few patches ago actually.
I got it on sale and it didn't have a whole lot of content when I bought it so it's tough to say.
>>
>>384759742
Emperor rise of the middle kingdom
>>
Is Gnomoria worth it or should I just man up for dorf fortress?
>>
>>384760601
I gave it 26 hours before I finally dropped it and decided never to touch it again.
Play Dwarf Fortress or Rimworld.
>>
>>384760752
Is Rimworld finished?
>>
>>384761161
Enough to occupy yourself with for awhile.
Mods really stretch the amount of content it has so that's something to consider.
>>
anyone tried Life is Feudal: Forest Village? Is it worth it?
>>
>>384761654
seconding this question.
Also Banished has a fairly large mod called "the colonial charter" which is decent if you own the game ,but nothing to buy it for. Extends the range of wares and buildings by a large amount, but a lot of the flaws remain
>>
>>384761840
It also adds some scenarios to play and even interactions with other "civilizations". Also a currency system that I haven't tried yet
>>
>>384761931
But the issue is that even with the ware categories they added you might still overproduce something which leads to stupid micromanagement and the villagers are still retarded. It did make me pick up Banished for a bunch of hours again though, so props for that
>>
>>384762094
Reasigning jobs every now and then helps with the AI.
>>
Settlers III
Settlers IV
>>
>>384762561
If we're going Settlers I'll have to mention Cultures
>>
File: pc-63575-11450287428.png (1MB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
pc-63575-11450287428.png
1MB, 1024x768px
>>384762561
>>384762859
Nations is also good
>>
Is there a city builder set in the wild west?
>>
>>384762859
never heard of it, how is it?
>>
>>384763162
think Settlers 3 with vikings and a bit more of an rpg mechanic, as in your dudes gain skills in their jobs and whatnot. I loved it and you can probably get the tetralogy (1+2 plus 2s two expansions) easily on whatever pirate site
>>
>>384758539
Lethis Path of Progress.
>>
>>384763162
Roller coaster Tycoon/Planet Coaster western pack.
>>
>>384763140
It sucks though
>>
>>384764247
God damn it.
>>
>>384760601
Man up and just learn dwarf fortress. It's an absolutely amazing game once you get the UI down. Grab the lazy newb pack and throw a tileset on there to make it a bit easier to get into, don't listen to all the fags that say ascii is better it is, but it's easier to get into if you can actually see what things are at first. Also, your first few forts are destined to fail, just enjoy the downfall and learn going into your next one.
>>
>>384758539
Since you have played anno 1404... i'd recommend anno 2070 if you can stomach uplay/stacked DRM. Probably last great anno.
>>
Banished with Colonial Charter mod was great until your city gets too big and you have to manage too many little things
>>
>>384765952
2070 is an overall improvement mechanically speaking, but the theme is boring and it's not mod-friendly at all. anno was a great concept but got fucked over by critically bad decisions.
>>
>>384765468
>once you get the UI down
>implying
dwarf fortress is just not a user-friendly game. even once you've played for a few hundred hours and mastered the controls, it still feels like a clunky piece of shit. ever since I got into rimworld, going back to dwarf fortress is painful. sure, rimworld has way less stuff, and less intricate mechanics, but after slapping in a few dozen mods it feels pretty fucking solid.

besides, who are you even trying to shill this to? anyone who's man enough to play dwarf fortress has already done so. anyone who needs to be convinced to give it a try is probably too casual to enjoy it.
>>
File: Afterlife_cover.gif (64KB, 288x364px) Image search: [Google]
Afterlife_cover.gif
64KB, 288x364px
>>384758539
If you're interested in something a little different, Afterlife is supposed to be pretty good. Instead of building a city, you build Heaven and Hell.
>>
File: 1494433111113.jpg (20KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
1494433111113.jpg
20KB, 320x240px
>>384767327
>Try the demo
>Isn't designed for modern CPU speeds
>Game flickers for a second then shows the game over screen
>>
>>384767236
Oh look, a rimworld poster. It's a little clunky, I'll give you that, but rimworld is so shallow compared to it, it's not even worth mentioning side by side. Even mods can't help that shitty game.
>>
File: Factorio5.jpg (571KB, 1600x740px) Image search: [Google]
Factorio5.jpg
571KB, 1600x740px
Not a city builder per se, but OP you could at least give the demo of this thing a try. It has a lot in common with city-builders (in fact I think the city-builder genre could actually learn from this game more than from anything else) and it does scratch that kind of itch much, much more than you'd expect it would.

In fact, I have been itching for a good city-builder for a year, and despite trying about ten of them, it was eventually only Factorio that satisfied me for a couple hundred years.

There is a free demo on steam. Or you can always pirate it.
>>
>>384767579
>only Factorio that satisfied me for a couple hundred years.
woah
so this is the power............. of PC gaming.
>>
>>384758539
Factorio for an excellent spin on the genre
>>
>>384767450
Not him but... "a little clunky"?
No. Dorf's U.I. is a crime against humanity. Yeah, the game is one of the most impressive pieces of simulation ever created. It's a fucking work of art mechanic wise. But in terms of actual user experience and user interface in particular, it's not actually ever justifiable. It's really, really, really bad. It can't be worse.

We are reaching a point where people can make Unity Plugins that can run factorio while creating an entirely new user interface and visualization in Unity engine, down to U.I. So within a few years, Dwarf Fortress might eventually become a good game.

As it is, it not a good game. It's a piece of shit game, but a very impressive piece of simulation software.
>>
Just play Lethis, if you liked Caesar you'll get 20-30 hours worth of it.
>>
>>384767653
Yeah, it really is. It's actually one of the best games you can get on PC these days. You can actually EASILY sunk thousands of hours into that thing if you go for mods. It really is PC gaming at it's finest.
Huge flexibility with hardware (can run on virtually any machine on basic level, but can take advantage of really strong machines if you really want to build insanely complex networks of machines), it's incredibly well optimized, simple to learn basic but insanely complex if you want to explore all of it's possibilities, never relies on cheap instant gratification, has huge modding and customization options, encourages players to become creative themselves, even allows for recursion (making games within games) - and in general, it never treats the player as a moron.

So yeah, I'd say it's the quintessential PC game.
>>
>>384767236
>rimworld, way less stuff, and less intricate mechanics
yes, please let me write this in caps for you
RIMWORLD WAY LESS STUFF AND LESS INTRICATE MECHANICS

I'd recommend DF if not played yet. Also Factorio is good and I hope for more content and game options.
>>
I hope Ymir comes out soon. Free multiplayer city-builder with pigs. Old school impressions city-builder style. Steam store page went up this week.
>>
File: 1495931317923.jpg (6KB, 192x245px) Image search: [Google]
1495931317923.jpg
6KB, 192x245px
>>384768242
>Free
>Multiplayer
>>
>>384768030
>Also Factorio is good and I hope for more content and game options.
Factorio is not going to get much more official content. The studio is pretty exhausted and just wants to wrap it up as soon as possible. In fact I don't think they have any major content additions planned anymore - just HD graphics implementation, continued optimization, U.I. and balance tweaks etc...
It's not like the game is lacking in content as it is though. And if you really want major content additions, just see the modding community, get yourself a Bob and Angel.

There is a possibility of expansions in the future, once Factorio 1.00 is live, but that is I think at least two years away from now.
>>
>>384767771
Not him but it's not nearly as bad as you're making it out to be
With DFhack for rudimentary mouse support for finicky designations and such it's tolerable
Eventually you learn the keybinds by heart or muscle memory and navigating the game gets easy and swift
>>
>>384768030
Is Rimworld still fun after coming from DF?
>>
>>384767438
The GOG version probably fixes that.
>>
>>384768539
Yes
Not the same kind of depth, but good in the areas it focuses on, and better at being a vidya gaem than DF will ever be since it's more of a simulator
>>
>>384767771
It's easy to tell you've never really played it then, it isn't even all that bad. With a couple of keystrokes, you can do almost everything, it's just a matter of learning the keys. With rimworld, you have to move through the shitty interface with mouse clicks to get anything done, not to mention the shitty scheduling menu and the awful military system.Literally anyone can learn the UI, it's just a simple matter of taking the time to learn it. Also, it's a great simulation and a great game, both of which rimworld is not.
Also what this anon said>>384768529
>>
File: 1459832215521.png (267KB, 262x403px) Image search: [Google]
1459832215521.png
267KB, 262x403px
kingdom and castles is quite confy
>>
>>384768030
Also, Factorio is a good choice too, less city building and more factory building, but still scratches that itch, try either that or dwarf fortress and not that abomination rimworld.
>>
>>384768529
It is actually that bad. In fact I'm hugely understating how bad it is. I don't think human language even has the tools to actually appropriately state how fucking unbeliveably bad it is. It's literally impossible to design worse U.I. unless you are very specifically trying.

DF fans are pretty damn rabbid so they pretend it's not a big deal. And yes. You can get used to it. You can also get used to life in Auschwitz, and if you manage to get a good deal with the guards, it might even become tolerable. It might actually be preferable to dealing with Dwarf Fortresses U.I. when I think about it.

No: seriously, it is bad. The fact that you can eventually get used to it does not change the fact that you could hardly make it worse. If you actually need to spend tens if not hundreds of hours, to train a fucking muscle memory, to get around what is a basic set of simple drop-down menus that games have figured how to deal with three decades ago: YOU DON FUCKED UP ALREADY.

You should not need to train your muscle memory to deal with drop-down menu in a game that actually could be completely controled by mouse alone.

>>384768770
No, and go fuck yourself you pile of cock-gurgling shit. it's because of fucked apologist cretins like you that this shit has not been fucking fixed.
THERE IS NO EXCUSE FOR INCONSISTENT SCHEMES OF CONTROLS BETWEEN IDENTICALLY STRUCTURED MENU'S YOU CRETINS.
LITERALLY.
NO.
EXCUSE.
>>
>>384768923
>You should not need to train your muscle memory to deal with drop-down menu in a game that actually could be completely controled by mouse alone.
And take ten times as long?
Seriously, you are exaggerating to an insane degree
building a bed is b_uild b_ed
Digging a tunnel is d_esignate d_ig
It is pisseasy, fast and for the most part intuitive because the letters follow the first letters of what you want to do
Some menus, like the military UI, are utter trash that you will have to throw your mind against to bruteforce, yes
But the basic elements are easily accessible
And I've been playing Rimworld for 100s of hours so you can't hide behind elitism either
>>
>>384768770
agreed
>>384768923
disagreed

And here we have the two points. I personally love the df interface because I can have complete control and get lightning fast using only the keyboard. I mean, LIGHTNING FAST. rw just cant compete. pfff mouse-clicking... cute somehow, but... Playing df I can play the keyboard like a piano!
>>
>>384768831
That shit is just a reskin of Banished and with an easier gameplay.
>>
>>384769062
>And take ten times as long?
You do realize that games can have multiple input systems. If you know the key bind, then use the keybinds, but when you are using something that you don't use frequently enough to memorize the particular input sequence for, you should have the option to select it still intuitively?

>It is pisseasy, fast and for the most part intuitive because the letters follow the first letters of what you want to do
It's not. Because the game randomly switches between different systems of menu item labeling. Which means that SOMETIMES you chose the first letter of the item on the menu. Sometimes, however, it's alphabetical order. And sometimes it's numerical order. And sometimes you don't actually have a hotkey and you have to scroll down a slider.
And that is the REAL FUCKING PROBLEM. The system is INCONSISTENT. And there is nothing fucking worse than an inconsistent input system in U.I.
NOTHING throws you off the actual immersion in the game than CONSISTENTLY having to stop yourself in your tracks because the basic rules for how to interact with the game change arbitrarily.

There is a game that does something like Dwarf Fortress with inconsistency of most fundamental interaction much like Dorf. It's called Knock-Knock, it's a horror game and it's famous for introducing panic attacks and nightmares.

>>384769178
>but for everyone else, it's not a problem.
Yeah. I'm the ONLY person in the world that has an issue with Dwarf Fortress U.I.
Sure.

You see: this is the real problem that I have here. Instead of fixing what is absolutely moronic, you retards are more interested in your wanking-off superiority bullshit.
YOU don't care about the game. You care about your shitty bragging rights.

There is no exuse for this U.I. It's bad. It's so bad it could hardly be worse. Yet instead of pushing for improvement, which would objectively and easily just make the game better: you do this shit.

You are cancer.
>>
>>384769641
Can the DF UI be improved? Absolutely
Can you learn it in a rather short time? Yes, you can
Is it on the level of Auschwitz comparisons or whatever else you're throwing out there? No, unless your point is to make us think you're dim because you're having such trouble with an UI 14 year-old me managed to learn easily 9 years ago
>>
>>384758539
Children of the Nile is one of my favorites. Building some of the greater structures can take literal days of constant playtime, generations of competent Pharaohs.

Caesar 4 is also comfy as hell, despite being much simpler (albeit more streamlined) than Caesar 3. I felt a little bit more connected to each zone as the randomized basic/luxury resources often means that once you find the optimal building strategy, you still need to adapt it to constantly changing conditions.

Sim City 2000, the be all end all of city creators. Very steep learning curve, difficult, but massively satisfying once you get a hang of it.
>>
i wish banished had more depth/continued to be updated.

i wish rimworld was a teeny bit deeper

i wish dorf portess didnt look like shit
>>
>>384769641
>Yet instead of pushing for improvement
See, you know fuckall about this game
There is no pushing for improvements
There is no pushing for features
There is no pushing
There is a dude who is making a game/simulator for himself, while being kind enough to upload it for free on the internet so others can partake in the joy, while these people keep his frail genius ass alive through donations
The Ui is dead last on his list of next features because he cannot code for shit due to being self-taught as he goes, and he does not feel like replacing the UI with every new feature he introduces due to the whole thing likely being hard-coded
>>
>>384769641
>but when you are using something that you don't use frequently enough to memorize the particular input sequence for, you should have the option to select it still intuitively?
You could also just look on the little letters next to all the UI options and slam your fingers on the corresponding button on your keyboard.
>>
>>384769967
>Caesar 4 is also comfy as hell, despite being much simpler (albeit more streamlined) than Caesar 3.
At least they fixed the problem of houses degrading through no fault of your own because the AI workers decided not to walk past them.
>>
>>384770225
>what is road management
>>
>>384769958
>Can you learn it in a rather short time? Yes, you can
Which is still about fifteen times longer than it has any right to be. That is my bloody point. It is as bad as it can be without just going out of it's way to make things more obnoxious.
Yeah, fuck me you figured out that comparing a U.I. in a game to essential human slaughterhouse is a bit of an exageration? Great! Now you know what a hyperbole is.

But it is bad. Like: really bad. The only thing that is good about the U.I. is the fact that it actually kinda serves as a sort of a chronicle of the game's development, as you can actually kinda see what Adams has been doing at the time, which is kinda funny.

But it is bad, and it has no right to be this bad. There is no benefit to the game from the actual structure of the U.I., it works ONLY to the detriment of the game. And that is something people NEED to fucking admit to themselves. It's pathetic how people react to the criticisms towards the U.I.

>>384770086
That is just hilariously not true. You are acting as if Adams don't care for any feedback, which really not the case. Sure they have their own priorities, but they also do monitor the community pretty damn closely. And they do financially depend on them. That is a simple, mere fact: they live off the fucking donations.

Also, it's TWO people. Zach AND Tarn. But yeah, please lecture me how I don't know anything about it. That totally does not actually prove how fucking little YOU care about the fucking game and how much you care about shitty bragging rights.

>>384770149
Or: you could create a system that is internally consistent and does not require you to read the whole fucking list EVERY TIME you want to select another item list?
You know: like all actual games do since 1985 or so?
WHY. THE EVER LOVING FUCK. ARE YOU MORONS DEFENDING THIS SHIT?!

It's the least optimal system you could ever fucking come up with. ANYTHING else would be better. So why the fuck would you defend it?
>>
>>384763124
fuck I thought I was the only one who played that
>>
>>384769967
>Building some of the greater structures can take literal days of constant playtime, generations of competent Pharaohs.

While in Pharaoh building shit is harder and feels like building a monument and it still happens within one Pharaoh's reign. CotN is just really casual version of Pharaoh.
>>
>>384770471

On a 1-10 scale, you (and others) rate DF UI to be a 1. People defend the UI saying that it's bad, but only a 4 or so.
>>
>>384770881
If DF is 4, then please tell me what is 1.
>>
>>384770471
>And that is something people NEED to fucking admit to themselves. It's pathetic how people react to the criticisms towards the U.I.
Saying that it's bad but functional? That is exactly what the state of the thing is, and it is just that. It is functional. It works. It works pretty well if you get used to it. That is good enough for people who play the game, as they would not be playing it if it weren't.
>and how much you care about shitty bragging rights.
You keep repeating this point as if it somehow makes it true
I don't care about bragging rights, because DF is a pisseasy game. As I said, I learned it when I was at the tender age of 14. Stupid teenager me got over the UI in a short while. Thus it's pretty easy.
>Also, it's TWO people. Zach AND Tarn
The bulk of the coding is done by Tarn
>WHY. THE EVER LOVING FUCK. ARE YOU MORONS DEFENDING THIS SHIT?!
See the first point
>>
>>384770471
In the time you spent on this thread you could have memorised half the keybindings in the game.
>>
>>384770471
>Yeah, fuck me you figured out that comparing a U.I. in a game to essential human slaughterhouse is a bit of an exageration? Great! Now you know what a hyperbole is.
Do not go full Godwin's Law if you don't want to get mopcked for doing so.
Hypoerbole, like any semantic tool, should be used in moderation. Throwing out shit-tier sarcasm mixed with hyperbole in every other line is excessive, and diminishes the point you were trying to make by distracting from it and discrediting yourself as a poster.
>>
>>384768923
>>DF fans are pretty damn rabbid so they pretend it's not a big deal. And yes. You can get used to it. You can also get used to life in Auschwitz, and if you manage to get a good deal with the guards, it might even become tolerable. It might actually be preferable to dealing with Dwarf Fortresses U.I. when I think about it.
Alright, I laughed.
>>
File: K&M.png (3MB, 1066x853px) Image search: [Google]
K&M.png
3MB, 1066x853px
>>384758539
knights and merchants nigga, get the fan remade for modern computers and get fucking comfy.

even my parents still play it to this day after almost 20 years
>>
>>384770471
>>384769641
>>384768923
>>384767771
Poor guy butthurts now. Probably what playing his shitty games does to him. Still, I chuckled a bit.
>>
>>384770471
>start out by saying that the UI is a "crime against humanity"
>wonder why people are "defending this shit" by saying that it's not that bad
>but it was hyperbole!
Are you for real?
>>
>>384759621
>Tropico

El Presidente is A-okay

I actually liked jaunito and 3 isn't the same with less of him
>>
>>384770996
>Saying that it's bad but functional?
Depending on how you define a function of a U.I.
Ultimately, all the buttons work. It isn't broken: all the interactions the game promises to be available ARE available. Yes.
However, that is a very basic definition of a function of U.I.
You could also come up with a slightly more sophisticated definition. Like for an example: the function of a U.I. to be to provide player with as much information as easily as possible, and translate his intention into corresponding game action as efficiently as possible.
In which case the U.I. is not functional Because it's doing those things as inefficiently as possible.

>That is good enough for people who play the game, as they would not be playing it if it weren't.
Yeah, and totalitarian regimes are good regimes because people would be doing them if they weren't?
Are you serious with this shit?

>I don't care about bragging rights, because DF is a pisseasy game.
Do you even fucking realize what you type?
"Yeah, I don't need to brag. This game almost universally recognized as one of the most complex and challenging games ever made is piss easy to me, that is how awesome I am. Why would I need to brag?"

JESUS FUCKING CHRIST. You can't make this shit up!

>The bulk of the coding is done by Tarn
Yeah, still does not change the fact that it's a two-people-made game. Zach is responsible for much of the design of the game.

>See the first point
Actually, I think your second point is much more relevant here.
>>
>>384771659
Yeah. Calling a U.I. game a crime against humanity, comparing it to elimination camp... yeah. I did actually expect you people to pick up on the hyperbole.

I am wondering why people are claiming that the system isn't bad. See shit like this? >>384769062
This is what is bothering me. And even more than that, this: >>384771610
This is how people respond to what is actually a 100% valid, factual criticism of the system. Yeah, the Auschwitz shit is pretty obviously a joke. However, if you fucks could read, you'd also find out a very conrete explanation of what is wrong with the system: inconsistency of input patters in particular.
And there is no excuse for that. This system would work better organized in virtually ANY other way.
>>
File: 9077790887.png (40KB, 239x196px) Image search: [Google]
9077790887.png
40KB, 239x196px
>>384768242
>sexual content
>nudity
>>
>>384771861
>Depending on how you define a function of a U.I.
I can navigate the game
I can build stuff
I can designate stuff
The dwarf management system was a mess last time I played so I'd use DT
With that I can do everything in the game swiftly, except for the military UI which is a complete mess
>Yeah, and totalitarian regimes are good regimes because people would be doing them if they weren't?
This comparison was so fucking stupid I was at the verge of calling you a drooling retard and leaving it at that
Seriously anon,cut out the awful hyperboles and analogies, you suck ass at them and only reduce the impact of whatever point you wanted to make
People are not free to join or leave totalitarian regimes, it's one of the fucking defining factors of them
People pick up and continue playing DF because of their free will
The things are not comparable in the slightest

>Do you even fucking realize what you type?
Sounds like humblebragging, sure, is actually valid though
I get where you are coming from, I am usually the guy in the Rimworld thread defending the game against all the DF elitists shitting on it without any reason
But DF just is that easy, especially when compared to RW
The UI takes a few hours getting used to, as opposed to RW where it's pick up and play, but the actual game mechanics are much easier, such as keeping your guys alive, fed, sane and so on
I can with perfect honestly say that I've been having more trouble with RW than DF, except for stuff like getting those fucking crossbowdorfs to train
>>
>>384771861
like a trump speech
for some reason I found this music
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c94nySKKoWE
>>
>>384772093
>This is what is bothering me
And that is where you go wrong.
The guy you're quoting is doing exactly what I'm saying. He is responding to your claim that the UI is complete disfunctional trash, where "crime against humanity" would be appropriate. He is showing you how simple some of the basic commands in the game are. If the UI was truly terrible in every regard, then even that would be less intuitive and take longer.
>>
>>384770269
The fact that there are ways to circumvent the bad design doesn't mean it's not still bad design.
>>
>>384758685
this - best i've played so far. Fpbp
>>
>>384772453
>ho no management in my management game
>>
>>384760183
Its still a comfy and fun game. Just don't go into it expecting a simulator.
>>
Cities Skylines by far
>>
>>384772753
I liked the graphics but the game soon got repetitive. Needs mods and then still it gets repetitive. But I think that's just me and you could build magnificent highway crossings in this game.
>>
Not necessarily a city builder but Industry Giant
>>
File: 1407089926034.jpg (160KB, 602x468px) Image search: [Google]
1407089926034.jpg
160KB, 602x468px
>>384771350
Oh man.
Blast from the fucking past.
Played the shit out of this as a kid.
Never finished it tough. I guess it's time to fix that.
>>
>>384768021
I've been meaning to actually start playing this for a while. Are there any mods you'd recommend using right off the bat? Stuff that's purely beneficial but won't muddy the waters for people who haven't played it yet.
>>
>>384773371
>Are there any mods you'd recommend using right off the bat? Stuff that's purely beneficial but won't muddy the waters for people who haven't played it yet.
I'd say the only mod I'd ever recommend to a newcomer is one called RSO (Resource spawner overhaul). And even that one is purely optional.

What RSO does is that it changes the way resources are distributed to make them spawn further away, usually less clustered too. The reason why I think this is good is because it actually forces more heavy use of train tracks, which are some of the most interesting and fun elements of the game, but the vanilla game actually gives you very little reason to use them.

Pre-0.15 patch I'd say RSO is a NECESSITY unless you really hate train management games. Post 0.15 patch it's somewhat less necessary, because the new resource distribution tweakers you can basically kinda emulate RSO effect by setting every kind of resource distribution to "low" or choosing the "train world" preset.

That said, I still think RSO just distributes the resources better than the vanilla. It's a tiny mod, you can try it out for yourself.

Other than that, I genuinely think that on first run, you can and should go completely vanilla. The game is remarkably well balanced, and virtually all mods in existence mess with that balance. ONCE you get the hang of it, you can start playing around (I'm currently using around 40+ mods, two of them being complete overhauls that extend the complexity geometrically).

Try out RSO, but otherwise go vanilla. Then, after you get the feel for the game, look into options to tweak whatever you personally feel like needs to be tweeked. More if you find the combat needs more spice, get Natural Evolution and Rampant, if you are bothered by pick-up range get Picker Extender etc... But do that once you get to know the vanilla game.
>>
File: 1498668492731.png (55KB, 217x190px) Image search: [Google]
1498668492731.png
55KB, 217x190px
>>384773780
Thanks for the info m8
>>
Is SimCity 2013 worth a pirating?
>>
>>384767236
>>384767771
>>384768923
>>384769641
>>384770471
>>384771861
Just wanted to let you know that I absolutely agree with you. Ignore the turboautists that are actually defending the UI. It quite literally is the worst UI in any game ever.
Thread posts: 97
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.