[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's /v/'s opinion of Pillars of Eternity? Thinking

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 4

File: Pillars-of-Eternity.jpg (28KB, 625x400px) Image search: [Google]
Pillars-of-Eternity.jpg
28KB, 625x400px
What's /v/'s opinion of Pillars of Eternity? Thinking of getting it when it's ported to the ps
>>
It's fine, i think it would fucking suck playing with a console controller tho
>>
bland & boring
>>
Pretty good
>>
i liked it with self imposed challenges like solo monk
otherwise the characters are all stupid and ugly and annoying
>>
Writing's pretty top-notch (common complaint is that Act 2 gets a little weak but I found it fairly engaging, it was hitting Act 3 where I got a little bored), expansion is fucking great, combat is eh.

also Cipher is best class
>>
sooo fucking boring
>>
great game but crpgs on console are fucking miserable experiences
>>
>>384756790
agreed Act 3 is where I keep stopping.
It's great as in you can either play it BG2 style with randomly picked up companions with personalities and sidequests and banter or create your own party and suddenly be 10x more effective than you could possibly be with the available followers.
>>
>>384755829
Boring of eternity.
Bland setting, no companion dynamic compared to bg2, worthless stronghold, BALANCE.
>>
>>384755829
Good game overall

>good story
>strange combat system
>great aesthetics
>poor pacing
>good soundtrack
>>
>>384756790
Wut? Writing is probably the worst thing about the game. Obsidian doesn't understand subtlety in storytelling. And most NPCs and companions don't even sound like real people. And Thaos... lol fucking Thaos
>>
>RtwP combat
>with PoE's level of micromanaging
>with PoE's amount of combat
>on a fucking controller
get ready for absolute hell
>>
>>384755829
I'm enjoying it so far. Would recommend to anyone with patience for this type of rpg.
>>
File: 38.jpg (159KB, 1000x1593px) Image search: [Google]
38.jpg
159KB, 1000x1593px
>>384755829
>i only liked half the cast and found the others meh.
>Combat was ok
>well written for the most part.
>Music has a few standouts
>didn't play the expansion but hear good things

No romances because Obsidian are afraid of making the SJWs mad.
>>
12 thread later, doesn't even know if he wants the game yet.
>>
>>384759051
Romances in video games are fucking cancer
>>
>>384756790
>also Cipher is best class
Is it? I can't decide between Cipher or Monk for my first playthrough. Melee Cipher seems to play like a rogue with magic which I always enjoy. And it's close to the story which is neat. I heard Monk is incredibly strong though.
>>
I enjoyed it.
Make sure to turn on the option that tells you what disposition your dialogue choices will affect if you plan to play as a class with associated restrictions, because it's totally arbitrary. Also, the things that are different from Dungeons and Dragons just because they legally had to be different are all awful.
>>
>>384759117
Some people like em. I'm Indifferent too them.
>>
Be sure to talk to all the NPCs with yellow nameplates and read all the grave markers.
>>
>>384756141
I think POE is the very definition of mediocre. Like, to the point of being a work of art with how on point mediocre it is.
>>
I'm just not a fan of the old and overdone "belief directly effects reality" system, and the whole metaphysical color system the game has. Much more to my taste is a game like Age of Decadence, where your choices do not determine your place in some metaphysical moral hierarchy but just affect the real world. AoD is underrated here.
>>
Lots of really awful design choices.
All the class gimmicks are unfun
The Endurance/Health angle is dumb
Resting using a consumable that you can only carry a few of makes adventuring a chore.
The stronghold is a waste of time and more often just a big headache.
The stats are all kind of weird and affect things in unintuitive ways.
>>
FUCK RPG CODEX!
>>384756141
pirate scum who never played white march and later patches
>>384756948
underage piece of shit skyrim kiddy
>>384757421
jaded d&d autist nerd who must masturbate his tiny penis to op mages
>>384759051
total virgin loser who want to romance pixels
>>
>>384760419
settle down there champ you're gonna end up waking your mom.
>>
>>384755829
A nice attempt, but it doesn't dethrone BG2. And its a real shame, there are a lot of good ideas weighed down by some pretty bad ones.
>>
>>384757993
>Obsidian doesn't understand subtlety in storytelling.
Spoken like someone who's never played one of their best games before.
>>
>>384760535
>but it doesn't dethrone BG2
Wait some PoE 2. It's already better than bg2 and it's not even done yet.
>fallout like exploration map
>fnv like story, quests and freedom of choice
>motb like companions
>improved gameplay
>multiclassing
>characters models redone from scratch etc.

Best crpg ever made incoming.
>>
I enjoyed tides of numenera more, at times it felt more like reading visual novella than playing an actual game, but at least I didn't have to suffer pillars unbelievably shit combat and story.
>le balance man nerfing shit patch after patch after patch to make it even MORE dull, IN A SINGLE PLAYER GAME
>>
>>384760840
I am optimistic about it.
>>
>>384760840
Will it have prestige classes?
I fucking love prestige classes.
>>
>>384760840
Who /CipherRogue/ here?
>>
>>384759478
I agree. PoE's combat to me felt like you were trapped in a slightly cramped box and no matter how hard you struggled and try to escape or kill yourself, you just couldn't and are trapped.
>>
>>384760419
>FUCK RPG CODEX!

Codex actually likes the game now, apparently. Unlike most people online they've changed their mind about PoE after 3.0+ version. That or they're massive tsundere for Sawyer's BALANCING act.
>>
File: PoE2_eder.png (564KB, 1440x810px) Image search: [Google]
PoE2_eder.png
564KB, 1440x810px
>>384760840
I think people tend to forget how much BG1 pales in comparison to BG2 so sure, same could happen with PoE2 as well.
>>
>>384760992
yes
>>384761037
pure ranged ciper master race
>>
>>384761213
the biggest problem with poe was the engine. Now when they have their own(kinda, it's still unity) engine they can focus on making the game better.
You can say the same about many games, bg including.
>>
>>384761142
generalizing the codex is a mistake. there's ton of currents there that like different things in their rpgs.
>>
>>384761672
That does not make the site as a whole any less of a disgusting cesspool full of degenerates overestimating their own intelligence than 4chan.
>>
File: Hearthsong.jpg (3MB, 3200x1800px) Image search: [Google]
Hearthsong.jpg
3MB, 3200x1800px
>>384755829
>system and setting that is 99% the forgotten realms, right down to fort-reflex-will saves, with just a few names replaced with Welsh gibberish
>only deviation from D&D 3.5 is unintuitive nonsense like wizards having to be bodybuilders and barbarians needing to be geniuses
>littered with terrible kickstarter fanfiction
>littered with endless copy-pasted trash mob encounters that all play out the same way, and just eat up hours and hours of the bloated playtime
>stronghold is buggy and utterly unrewarding
>minimal tactics necessary, as 90% of encounters hinge entirely on getting engagement
>leveling up is incredibly dull, as every ability/talent that might have been fun at one point was nerfed into the ground via patches in this noncompetitive single-player-only game

some of the backgrounds were pretty, at least
>>
>>384759117
>Romances in video games are fucking cancer
amen

just look at the /vg/ generals for the witcher or mass effect or dragon age. video game romances attract the very worst fans
>>
I liked the combat of the game enough and I was a wizard, I recommend Cipher though. The writing is alright if it is with companions, Backer writing and stories are mostly terrible, example that story of just one girl fingering another girl.

In the sense of adventuring and going places, there's not really much. Everything is really close and you don't feel like you really discover everything, kind of like a dragon age 2 situation - but at least it isn't THAT bad. Give it a go if you have a chance, I recommend playing of hard as normal is too easy imo.
>>
>>384760840
No romance, no buy.
>>
>>384759572
age of decadence is alright but it's a little lame that like 75% of your choices in a given playthrough are set in stone after character creation
>>
>>384760419
you don't need to false flag this hard, nobody actually believes anybody liked pillars that much
>>
>>384760536
>Spoken like someone who's never played one of their best games before.
such as
>>
>>384764083
During the explaining of multi-classing in their 2nd game hype videos they basically say ''Don't get excited because we're gonna make it really shitty''

I don't get why they nerf so many things, the only real thing it has for it is making character builds and testing them out in combat.
>>
>>384760840
subtlety is key when shitposting
>>
>>384764383
>I don't get why they nerf so many things

josh sawyer has this weid obsession with "balance," only in his mind it works only when filing the fun edges off of a class, instead of buffing underused classes/abilities
>>
>>384764527
I've quit so many characters in this game because they keep taking away things that'd make the classes really good. By the end of the nerfs I could really only tolerate Rogue or Cipher, I felt like there was no reason to do any other class from a fun AND powergaming perspective
>>
>>384764857
Personally the worst was when they took the fighter talent, defender, and made it apply a deflection PENALTY, simply because people considered it a must-have talent for any fighter.
Thread posts: 52
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.