[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ly7 bU_3EkH0 Can game devel

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 11

File: crossbow.jpg (100KB, 1024x965px) Image search: [Google]
crossbow.jpg
100KB, 1024x965px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ly7bU_3EkH0

Can game developers stop putting these things in their games? Guess what, they don't fucking work at all, it's the most impractical weapon ever conceived of. It's even worse in settings where guns exist, why the flying fuck would you ever use a wrist crossbow when a gun is the vastly superior option?
>>
>games should be realistic!

fuck off
>>
>>384752104
Can people stop bringing shitty /v/ threads to this board?
>>
>m-muh realism
>>
The only character I can think of with a wrist crossbow also carries a 400 pound slab of iron sharpened into a sword, so I don't think realism comes into account.
>>
>>384752227
Never said that, but even in fantasy a wrist mounted crossbow is a retarded weapon. I'd even take a fucking magic demon katana over the stupidity of this shit. It literally can't and does not work.
>>
>>384752849
Dragonslayer is more realistic and feasible to use as a weapon than a wrist mounted crossbow. At least a stupidly strong person could use it. Wrist mounted crossbow literally does not fucking work at all, watch the vid, the guy explains it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ly7bU_3EkH0
>>
>>384753362
>Dragonslayer is more realistic and feasible to use as a weapon than a wrist mounted crossbow. At least a stupidly strong person could use it.

Yeah sure, go ahead find me a person who can easily swing around a 400 pound sword.
>>
>>384752373
Sure, when game devs stop putting that shitty weapon in my games

yeah, talking about you, Dishonored
>>
>>384752104
wouldn't the arrow need to be tiny as fuck for it to work?
>>
>>384753905
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoeR1CaAnFM

Now show me a person who can defy the laws of physics and logic itself and make a wrist mounted crossbow a functional weapon
>>
>>384754115
Not seeing swing around a 400 pound sword.
>>
>>384752104

The mc in the new xenoblade has one of those. It looks so shitty. When would this ever be more effective than a light saber that probably let's you see the future?
>>
>>384754434
>a person that can drag a 83,000 pound plane can't swing around a 400 pound sword
wew lad
>>
>>384755528
Show me proof then.
>>
>>384754017
All you need is for it to go fast enough, like an airgun pellet can pierce your chest and then your heart if shot close enough. Some kids learned that the hard way a few years back, or at least the one that didnt die learned.
>>
>>384755528
They're two entirely different actions so yes, it is indeed likely they could not effectively swing a 400 pound piece of metal like a sword.
>>
File: Cuck Evans.gif (2MB, 245x320px) Image search: [Google]
Cuck Evans.gif
2MB, 245x320px
>>384755528
>Implying the amount of force it takes to pull something on wheels is the same amount of force need to swing something even 1/100th of its weight

fyi slaves have been pulling around thousand ton bricks to build pyramids centuries ago.
>>
>>384755814
Good thing it's 1/207 of its weight. :^)
>>
>>384752849
Clang
>>
>>384754115

How the heck do you train to pull A GODDAMNED PLANE?
>>
>>384753256

>It literally can't and does not work.

... what stops a small crossbow from working?
>>
>>384752104
>check video out
>it's just some youtuber spewing shit for 6 minutes without even testing anything
>video in the description shows some dinky mini crossbow
>OP says a gun is vastly superior when the whole fucking point of an assassin's crossbow is to kill someone as quietly as possible

Even a pea shooter can kill a person if one hits the right spot. Shouldn't be a problem since if someone is trying to kill a person, he's usually going to be very, very close to the target.

the neck is the easiest target for a reason
>>
>>384756127
Watch the vid, that guy explains it, and he's an expert on weaponry especially medevil European weaponry. If he says it can't work, it can't fuckin work.
>>
File: how do I use bows help.jpg (168KB, 720x900px) Image search: [Google]
how do I use bows help.jpg
168KB, 720x900px
>>384752104
These are the kind of game developers who don't understand how REGULAR bows work so what do you expect
>>
>>384756245
>skallagrim
>weapons expert and historian
>"some youtuber"

You fucking serious bro?

Also every game besides asscreed that someone has this weapon in, they're running around gunning people down with it, not doing slow stealth kills. Why not use a damn gun then?
>>
>>384756127
Nothing. They do work mechanically, there are even some examples in the video.

They are not however practical and most likely don't have good range and power. It would be a one shot kind of deal at best, and concealing it would be difficult. Nothing like most video games crossbows, but they might find use in some ways.
>>
File: rise-of-the-tomb-raider.jpg (268KB, 2048x1312px) Image search: [Google]
rise-of-the-tomb-raider.jpg
268KB, 2048x1312px
>>384756280
>aw yes check out my shitty piece of stick bow with a super lax string, watch my arrows fly fucking nowhere
>>
>>384753256
idk man I never see characters reload those things so they shoot infinitely. Plus, you could dual wield katanas, and then dual wield wrist crossbows at the same time. You always have a ranged option without forgoing your primary weapons.
>>
>>384756074
Never skip leg day, make sure the plane is empty and not fueled, also the plane has wheel, hell i could pull it a few meters before running out of breath or fucking up my knees, the heaviest i've ever pulled have been 5 ton dollies but shit's not my job and if i suffer an accident they'll fire me for going against procedures.
>>
>>384756397
The gun makes noise. A lot of noise
>>
>>384756397
>weapons expert and historian

Lmfao? More like "general knowledge" dudebro guy. "Historian"? Has this guy wrote a book? He's a fucking bearded man with an accent who says stuff along the lines of "g-guys you cant cut thru armor in real life like the movies also spears are good weapons haha" and then ameriburgers eat it up thinking he's some 10th century viking.
>>
>>384752849
His is automatic so he at least has continuous fire with it. Like an smg or something.
>>
File: Vayne_0.jpg (518KB, 1215x717px) Image search: [Google]
Vayne_0.jpg
518KB, 1215x717px
>>384756597
If you don't need stealth, why do you care if the gun makes noise? Most of the characters that use these weapons are just gunning shit down with them, not using them in stealth.
>>
File: 1498573969709.webm (2MB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
1498573969709.webm
2MB, 960x540px
>>384752104
I don't see why it wouldn't.
>>
>>384756827
yeah thats going to kill someone

lmao
>>
>>384756634
Except he gives detailed information on what he says backed by evidence. If wrist mounted crossbows were a good weapon, people would have used it. They didn't back then, meaning it was a shit weapon and a shit idea. You think some King back then is gonna waste precious gold having some smith build wrist crossbows for his knights when they don't fucking work?
>>
>>384756827
>you can kind of stick a toothpick through an apple

such penetration.
>>
In China there is a new mini-crossbow toy going round causing blindings and shit. Funny as fuck.

Mini crossbows don't 'defy physics'. They work and will always work. Effectiveness is not part of you shitpost.
>>
>>384756826
Preeeeetty sure Vayne is an assassin that goes after monsters. She's also based off Batman, who is well known for his silent takedowns.

Why not ask her why she has not just that, but a large crossbow on her back, and doesn't use Gangsta Rap Nigga's beam pistols.
>>
>>384756974
>>384757047
>literally say mini-crossbows can't work and 'defy physics'
>prove it works
>Y-yeah l-like that c-c-ould kill somebody

With poison coated tip and into exposed neck, yes it can.
>>
>>384756974
Coating the tip in feces would fuck your day up, if the target believes they t got pierced by a mere toothpic by the time he realizes something's wrong the wound will be already infected and spreading bacteria in their bloodstream.
>>
>>384756267

Use your words.

>>384756398

I'm no expert, but I was under the impression that the strength of something like a crossbow is dependent on both the size and the material. Like, isn't the entire idea of a crossbow that a smaller bow made of a more rigid material has equal power to a larger, traditional bow?

As for rate of fire and practicality, video games tend to get that wrong in most instances. I know it's fun to kibitz about how video game logic is silly in real life, but it seems silly to single this subject out for getting upset.
>>
>>384757149
Lucian's pistols are more effective weapons than a wristbow and an oversized crossbow. There's a reason we use guns now, and no one uses crossbows anymore. It's an inferior weapon.
>>
File: image.jpg (133KB, 829x1024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
133KB, 829x1024px
>>384756974
>>384757047
It's easier than you think. Even a toy BB gun has a kill count
>>
File: 1480214292340.webm (3MB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
1480214292340.webm
3MB, 960x540px
>>384756974
>>384757047
It works just as well on flesh, you easily pierce an artery with a well placed tactical toothpick.
>>
>>384757041

>Except he gives detailed information on what he says backed by evidence.

You're moving the goalposts. Nobody thinks that the laity can't be right about something, but the claim is specifically that he is a "weapons expert and historian." What are his credentials?
>>
File: Daud's_Wristbow_01_concept_art.jpg (141KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Daud's_Wristbow_01_concept_art.jpg
141KB, 1920x1200px
>>384753912
That one is whale oil powered . It might actually be one of the most effecient example, for a given value of efficiency.

>>384757367
This video goes into greater details and explains how, though inefficient, crossbows were still valuable weapons even with relatively poor showings.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdB470lo6nM
tl;dw a medieval crossbow with 450lbs of draw weight produces a third of the power of a .22LR round. It still kills people.

OP is just shitposting.
>>
>>384752104
What stops them from working?

I know you'd need some material with a bullshit high tension to cover the tiny draw distance, and therefore the winch would be a heavy piece of shit, but they're usable.
>>
>>384757584
>has to be at point blank to have any meaningful penetration
Just use a knife
>>
>>384757838

From that video:

>The inertia of the bow limbs is dependent on their mass.
>The shorter the limbs, the more efficient you will be.

Seems to me that a hypothetical bow with very short limbs made from heavy material would be capable of imparting a great deal of energy. I'm sure there are physical limitations, and there's certainly a practical limitation in one's ability to even draw the damn thing -- but this is video games.

What I'm getting from this thread is that people have recognized that a small bow that can be drawn by an average human hand won't impart a lot of energy. This is true, but then again doomguy runs at ten million miles an hour so what the fuck are we really complaining about?
>>
>>384752104
You know its funny in Dishonored you can find a note saying that they can replicate Corvo's wrist mounted crossbow, but the range is so bad that they don't try to field it, or something to that effect, Corvo gets around the limitations thanks to being half Garret with some supernatural powers on top of it.
>>
>>384752104
This thread is literally jjust shilling for views on the video. Any time someone asks a question its just lolwatch the video. No one gives a shit, we know, go larp in your backyard.
>>
>>384758406
OP is shiposting. One such crossbow would be difficult to make, expensive, and definitely not liable to work like in video games without some handwaving.
So just like his own video says; It migh work in some ways, its just made to look cool, and it would be inefficient. Indeed, that is why it was never used, because most uses it would have are better served by full size weapons, or different weapons altogether.

Such as the ballestrino in his own vid.

>>384758698
The Whalers', not Corvo's. Point still stands of course.
>>
>>384756827
As long as you fire it at point blank range, while they hold completely still, directly into a main artery (hopefully they aren't wearing a shirt with a high collar or a scarf or something) and then rip it out afterward it'll kill them in a couple of minutes if they don't do anything to stop the bleeding.
>>
>>384752104
>Skallagrim
>comparing some dumb fantasy assassination tool to a weapon of war
Coat a needle in poison and use a dinky piece of shit like that and you could still break skin from a few meters, and that's all that would matter.
>>
>>384752104
right after they stop putting BOWS in every single FPS
>>
>>384756827
lethal.
>>
>>384757225
>With poison coated tip and into exposed neck, yes it can.
then just poke them with a stick instead
>>
>>384756245

Crossbows are not quiet.
>>
File: 1498071718826.png (12KB, 603x222px) Image search: [Google]
1498071718826.png
12KB, 603x222px
Who cares? Rule of cool you fucking nerds.
>>
>>384752104
you kids wont know Mad Max, with the jew hater.
when that came out everyone got pistol xbows. they soon found out that unlike the movie, its very ez to shoot your own dumbass hand with them

had a good laugh when my friend nailed himself to a tree.
Thread posts: 62
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.