[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why are the Fire Emblem games labeled as RPGs? Aren't they

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: GBA_Fire_Emblem_Box.jpg (119KB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
GBA_Fire_Emblem_Box.jpg
119KB, 256x256px
Why are the Fire Emblem games labeled as RPGs? Aren't they just a bunch of linked battles with some dialogue in between?

Do you actually get to make choices and explore the setting more than what the story requires you to? Aside from every unit having a name and stats, I don't see how this is any more of an RPG than say Advance Wars.
>>
>>384700975
For the same reason JRPG's are labelled as such despite many times only offering very meagre and meaningless choices.
>>
>>384701749

That's true, but you can still explore the world and interact with NPCs in ways that are not really required for you to finish the story.
>>
>>384702118
That's still true even in the very linear Fire Emblem games. You're not required to explore the maps and visit all the villages, only encouraged and conditioned to do so.
>>
>>384702118
You do that in Fire Emblem too
>>
>>384702368
>>384702335

I guess? I mean, they're more like side-objectives during the battles, really. Do you actually make choices and explore the map outside of battles in any of the FE games?
>>
>>384702643
As opposed to a JRPG where you don't do anything but battle during battles?

The linear Fire Emblem games don't really have any choices for you to make outside of battles, the map exploration I'm referring to are the actual battlegrounds.
>>
>>384700975
Because most people under the age of 30 first learned what "RPGs" are from video games. It's nothing but a marketing term that's been around since people only knew tabletop games like DnD as "RPGs". The best way to label games is by their mechanics, so something like "statistic-based combat and leveling" would be more accurate for what is commonly referred to as "RPG elements". For Fire Emblem, something like "unique unit turn-based strategy with statistic-based 1v1 combat" would be apt. But that's long as fuck and takes too much tought and time, so people just say "RPG" because if you like anime swordsmen, you'll probably like this game. Most of history can be attributed to human laziness, and ingenuity for the sake of perpetuating that laziness.
>>
Because you control the growth of units that have stats that increase through fighting, which is an RPG element. Honestly, Fire Emblem sits somewhere in the middle of "Turn-Based Strategy" vs "RPG"

>>384702643
Many FE's have gaiden chapters that you can only do if you make certain (often obscure-ass) decisions.
>>
>>384703159
>>384703242

I guess that makes sense.
>>
>>384700975
RPG is used to refer to lots of games that have no actual "role playing", don't even bother trying to make sense of the term. Fire Emblem is distinguished from Advance Wars because in Fire Emblem you have individual unique units that carry over from battle to battle and those units can gain experience points and level up.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.