[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is Turn Based Combat in RPGs inherently flawed? I've noticed

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

Is Turn Based Combat in RPGs inherently flawed? I've noticed a lot of people echoing this sentiment recently outside of /v/ on Youtube and such. Does /v/ agree?
>>
Elaborate on this "inherent flaw".
>>
No.
People (read: GenZ kids) are just way too used to single, repeated and rehashes molds that plague the industry nowadays. Every major game title seems to play things safe and try to appeal to "wider audiences", meaning endless Cowadooteh / Uncharted clones, now with upgrade trees and shit on top.

tl;dr: if it ain't a shooter or a "cinematic" game, meaning players need to think and learn something new, the Xbox generation hates it.
>>
I'm a freak who enjoys ATB over turn based.

It introduces enough stress so you won't take too long to pick your actions and adds a bit of granularity to the system. Turn based games often feel like they are outright solvable or they rely too much on rng swings to unbalance the optimal plays.
>>
>>384597732
ATB is turn based you fucking dingus.

Turn based combat isn't inherently boring. Most games that use it are just so simple that there's no need to explore the depth. Battles are largely pre-determined based on spreadsheet statistics like levels and weaknesses and theres no way to bypass levels through skill.
>>
it's just really easy to get wrong
>>
>>384597935
>ATB is turn based you fucking dingus.
Nope. People just have started to mix these two later on.

The first few FF games and especially FFX were totally turn-based, and thus allowed lots of tactics. ATB brings in the timing elements to the combat.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.