[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ok, let's be honest. I'm starting to think gameplay

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 6

File: Thomas_Sowell_cropped.jpg (14KB, 220x268px) Image search: [Google]
Thomas_Sowell_cropped.jpg
14KB, 220x268px
Ok, let's be honest.

I'm starting to think gameplay doesn't matter.
Let me explain why.
99.9% of games released are basically rehashes of games that were invented in the mid 90's

We've been playing the same 3D games that were released since psx, and nobody cares.

But I do think for today gamers, you simply literally need to write a good story and /v/ and normies will be sucking yo dick.

Think about it, just a good story and make the game revolve about it, and you will have 99 metacritic, even if the gameplay is basic as fuck and the graphics are bad.

Seriously, that's how easy is to make it today in videogame industry.
>>
counter-point: the highest grossing games are multiplayer games with little or no plot
>>
>>384587513
oh wow, is not like they rehash the same gameplay since mid 90's.

counter-point: name one that doesn't resolve around violence.
>>
>>384587513
counter counter point:
Overwatch vs tf2

Tf2 has more refined and balanced gameplay/roster and is free.

overwatch has more backstory to the characters, better marketing, and panders to certain crowds.

OW is significantly more popular.
>>
File: einsteinshow.jpg (29KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
einsteinshow.jpg
29KB, 500x375px
>>384586648
the story of all games now are also rehashes of old tropes, you are playing the same old shit on a narrative level too, you have to be a simpleton to not see the same "hero journey" being repeated over and over

>>384587713
>counter-point: name one that doesn't resolve around violence.
what the fuck is this random goal post change? what does it matter? are you retarded?
>>
>>384587713
Hearthstone, rocket league, minecraft
Also, you can't use "IT HAS VIOLENCE" as a basis for calling things rehashes. Violence is one of the most popular forms of conflict across all media. If all games are rehashes, then so are all movies, books, and tv shows. If those are all rehashes, then what does the word "rehash" even fucking mean?
>>
>>384587918
if you care about new and innovative gameplay, you would be expecting non combat games.

can you name any that isn't sports or simulation of shit like cooking and working?

>>384588041
movies and books aren't 80-90% violence.

imagine if all movies were basically star war clones or if all books were basically romance novels.

retards.
>>
>>384586648
Who is this jungle bunghole?
>>
>>384588163
is le BASED UNCLE TOM OF ECONOMICS.
>>
File: doggoo.png (270KB, 352x361px) Image search: [Google]
doggoo.png
270KB, 352x361px
>reddit spacing
>retarded opinions

Go be gay somewhere else faggot.
>>
>>384588139
>Every game is a rehash of 90s games

>ok maybe not but I bet you can't name one that doesn't revolve around violence

>ok but how about ones that aren't about sports or simulations though?

literally fucking neck yourself dude.
>>
>>384587713
>counter-point: name one that doesn't resolve around violence.

why?

that wasn't the point of your original post
>>
>>384588435
>Breadth of wild
>revolves around mechanics invented in the SNES (fishing, cooking and other rpg shit), hack and slash gameplay invented and perfected since psx games
>le B2 ass game
>revolves around basically mechanics invented since psx game (started with beat them ups, but evolved in ps2 hack and slash games).
>le Overwatch blacked game
>revolves around FPS mechanics invented in Doom and perfected in Quake, literally a clone of Team fortress 2
>le SFV game
>revolves around gameplay mechanics brough in alpha 3 and other mid 90 street fighters

Nah nigger, the game industry revolves around 6-7 games that are barelly tweak to make retards think is diferent.

Nah, is a completelly diferent sci fi movie than star wars, the plot is literally the same, but the characters are designed diferent, so it must be completelly diferent.
>>
>>384588969
because violence == games in the industry and most gamers mind.
>>
>>384589064
still not the point you intended to discuss, you pretentious fucking faggot
>>
>>384586648
>I'm starting to think gameplay doesn't matter.
Stopped reading there. Kill yourself immediately.
>>
>>384589205
the only real diference between new games is the ambience, character design and story.
>>
>>384587894
It's almost like one is significantly older than the other while the former was also killed with terrible decisions
>>
shut up
>>
>>384586648
It's not the game per se, it's how the game works. Tight controls, interesting mechanics, environment design, item/weapon choice, etc. There's only so many basic game formats but the implementation details are what makes it good or bad.
Presentation elements are important too but if I wanted to watch a movie I'd watch a movie.
>>
>>384586648
> le black reddit philosopher man
>>
File: 1500469295240.gif (2MB, 330x166px) Image search: [Google]
1500469295240.gif
2MB, 330x166px
>>384586648
No, it just needs to be something creative, you do not see anything more creative today, most games are similar
>>
>>384588290
made me respond
>>
>>384589927
Uncle Tom is a fun insult because it breaks kayfabe.
>>
Here is a very short history of why games have stagnated a bit.

From the 1970s to the early 1990s a bunch of smart people invented a lot of good mechanics. Then the marketers came. And marketers are full of shit. When they get something right they act like they are smarter than Einstein, when they get something wrong it was always something else's fault but there is no difference in their reasoning when they are right and wrong. So they said a whole bunch of crap about game mechanics being shit and the game industry accepted that at face value.

Then 10, 15 or 20 years later suddenly these shit mechanics become center stage with marketing and development of sequel 94. So suddenly these mechanics aren't shit? It is because they were always good mechanics and smart people were around back then to basically show exactly how you should use them. But the thing is there are these big decade jumps of nothing all over the industry where mechanics weren't added to or refine or used in new novel ways.
>>
>>384587713
>gameplay vs story
>brings up violence
wtf does that have to do with the price of tea in china
>>
>>384586648

And that's why video game sucks nowdays.
>>
>>384586648
>I'm starting to think gameplay doesn't matter.
shut your retarded whore mouth. this will be the first and last hostile message I write today but holy shit are you literally braindead? Fucking brainmelted redditors with muh story can suck DICK. Matherfacker dick in petrolium sagesagesage
>>
>>384586648
Point made, this is why video games suck now.
Nothing is different, there isn't anything new. It's just shoot em up games in different resolutions. Nintendo is trying to stay that way, which they're doing a good job of, but they fuck up a lot just like other companies. I'm starting to think another video game crash is near.
>>
>>384586648
Filthy nigger.
>>
>>384590871
Everything under the sun has degraded to lowest common denominator filth, not just gameplay mechanics. Movies, music, games, books, etc. You name it, its all trash.
>>
File: shirtlessdude.png (10KB, 451x387px) Image search: [Google]
shirtlessdude.png
10KB, 451x387px
>>384586648
Technically everything is a rehash of everything because it's all inspired by something else and then that inspires more shit which continues on until we all fucking die.
If you took a second to look at the smaller details and the actual differences in mechanics between games you'd see that most games are pretty different. Sure, there's genre related stuff like platformers, shooters, and RPGs that have new games all the time, but just because two games share the same genre doesn't mean they're even remotely similar to each other. A good example of this is shit like CS:GO and Doom. And I mean new genres in anything are pretty rare, so it's pretty stupid to expect some genius to think up some entirely new concept that is almost original in every way for every game you play.
but this is probably just bait and i'm a faggot for falling for it and typing this shit out
>>
File: b4polafterpol.jpg (28KB, 420x294px) Image search: [Google]
b4polafterpol.jpg
28KB, 420x294px
>>384593504

>calling Thomas Sowell a nigger

He is openly white, he just happens to be black.
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.