[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can we all agree that cyberpunk and Europe doesn't mix well

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 5

File: 2056961-1472053143371-deusex.jpg (312KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
2056961-1472053143371-deusex.jpg
312KB, 1920x1080px
Can we all agree that cyberpunk and Europe doesn't mix well together?

It only works in America or Japan.
>>
Diasgree. Prague was masterfully put together in terms of atmosphere and level design.

It even allows for better settings that combine old european architecture with futuristic buildings. Makes a nice contrast.
>>
>>384576721
Also, Paris
DuClare chateau
>>
It was my favourite hub actually. But i've seen many people who really dislike it.
>>
>>384576974

This guy gets it, Mankind Divided had it's faults but they mainly lay within the story. I thought the game, and Prague, were great. What exactly doesn't work about it, OP? The overall themes are always going to be mostly the same, it's just a difference in aesthetic depending on the nation the story is set in.
>>
>>384576721
I unironically liked this game desu.
>>
>>384576721
>implying Paris, Hengsha, or Prague weren't great locations
>>
>>384576721
>Being a Burger
>Being a shitty weeaboo
You're talking out of your ass since you probably have no idea what European cities look like. But yea this >>384576974

A Budapest Cyberpunk setting would be even better.
>>
Eastern europe feels like western europe but it feels different. Its like an imitation of success rather than actual success. Either way that place is a shithole and slavs are subhuman.
>>
File: 22fc94dcf7f6.jpg (110KB, 607x458px) Image search: [Google]
22fc94dcf7f6.jpg
110KB, 607x458px
>>384576721
>implying
>>
>>384578274
what does it say?
>>
>>384578454
Happy technological singularity day
>>
>>384578454
>technological singularity day congratulations
or something like that, sry can't translate it right cuz i'm ruski
>>
>>384578454
Happy day of technological singularity!
>>
>>384577893
Ooh, well put. I also away felt like there's something off about it. An imitation of success really fits.
>>
>>384577893
Czechia is central Europe.
>>
>>384576721

>Japan

DE hasn't a single time been set in Japan you dumb fuck, just say East Asia
>>
Pretty sure E.Y.E takes places in Europe.
>>
>>384579720
EYE doesn't even take place on Earth
>>
>>384580624
really? when is this said ingame?
>>
>>384576974
>>384577542
>>384577827
If anything, it can actually work BETTER in some ways! Cyberpunk is very much about the society that technology and the future has brought. America is a fairly new and dynamic nation, always pushing forward. Japan and China have re-invented themselves from their old past, casting it aside and looking to the future. All of them are societies that are (relatively) well-suited for the hyper-capitalistic, disposable, technological world of cyberpunk.

On the other hand, most European nations put a great deal of pride and emphasis on their history, at least comparatively speaking. We keep more old buildings around, more old institutions. Yes we have companies and corporations, but we have old money and the heritage of the guild system too. The transition to a cyberpunk future would be even more traumatic to European culture than an East Asian or American culture. Cyberpunk by necessity burns the past to build a future. That's bad enough for Americans, but can you imagine the effect losing a cultural connection to the sheer weight of the past would have on a Frenchman, or an Englishman, or a German, or an Italian? We're looking at a generation without a purpose but the hollow, manufactured, disposable one a cyberpunk world provides.

Cyberpunk characters and teams are often characterised as a rebellion against the vast, global, impersonal world; a retreat to a small, more close-knit group. I think honestly, we'd be seeing a lot more of that in Europe than the US; the shining, corporate future standing on shakier and shakier ground as the support basis erodes away into socially disconnected and tribal communities.
>>
File: 1492339751423.jpg (31KB, 720x540px) Image search: [Google]
1492339751423.jpg
31KB, 720x540px
>>384576721
It only sucked because prague was literally the only setting/hub. other Deus Ex games had different hubs around the world. Prague just got stale after a while.
>>
>>384581490

This is a good post.
>>
>>384577592
>good gameplay
>good level design
>good setting/atmosphere
>meh story
The hate for this game is definitely overblown, you'd think it was some unredeemable disaster the way /v/ talks about it. Do you guys really only care about story when it comes to videogames?
>>
>>384576721
settings in both dragonfall and Md are top tier though

just shame Md has retard level story that's an unoriginal (even in the fucking series, holy fuck it's DE2 again) take on muh segregation
>>
>huge deux ex fan
>still haven't played MD because pc too old

should I buy a used copy for my friends ps4 or wait until I build a new pc?
>>
File: discusted.jpg (87KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
discusted.jpg
87KB, 1366x768px
>>384576721
>he didn't play Remember Me
You have no idea what the fuck are you talking about.
>>
>>384582146

They probably thought they could sell other cities as DLC.
>>
>>384581490

This board is for shitposting. Stop posting well thought out content.
>>
I'm sure one of the Shadowrun games were set in Germany or something and it worked quite well.
>>
>>384581490
>tfw you will never be a tech-crusader fighting for the glory of beautiful Europa against the corporate oligarchs in a cyberpunk future
>>
im playing through this game right now and am deeply disappointed by the soundtrack. it blows. especially in the anti terrorist force that your in, i could make a better cyberpunk soundtrack just dickin around on fruity loops.
>>
>>384583567
Fuckin make me bruv

I will bring considered responses and reasonable discussion to this board and there's not a thing you can do to stop me!
>>
>>384576721
>It only works in America or Japan
did you mean America and Hong Kong?
>>
>>384584641
This one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVyds-mBQt0

I think it sounds great, with those unatco vibes.
>>
>>384585453
yeah, dont care for it much.
compare it to perfect darks HQ theme
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W63jrJfxR3k
>>
File: 1479885942504.jpg (57KB, 600x444px) Image search: [Google]
1479885942504.jpg
57KB, 600x444px
didnt have enough diversity so as a girl gamer I refuse to buy it since the lead is a white male which is disgusting.
>>
>>384583916
While that sounds pretty balla in concept, I think that character would work better as an eccentric party member than the main character.

The world is inherently built upon increasing complexity. It might be nice to romanticise a simpler past, but we can't ever go back to it, not without sacrificing all the trappings of modern life that we consider essential.
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.